Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 15:51:38 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: New jargon for the same old shit: Tom's FOUR vectors.
From: hertz...@gmail.com (Richard Hertz)
 by: Richard Hertz - Mon, 22 May 2023 22:51 UTC

On Monday, May 22, 2023 at 7:09:21 PM UTC-3, larry harson wrote:
> On Monday, May 22, 2023 at 1:59:33 AM UTC+1, Richard Hertz wrote:

> > > I thought the same way when I started to learn about SR in trying to stick to a 3d Euclidean way of initially trying to understanding it via Einstein's 1905 paper. The MIT book Special Relativity by AP French does the same, defining a relativistic 3-force which, upon reflection, now seems pointless to me.
> > >
> > > So over the years I've changed my mind and can now see that the above is pointless time wasting: four-vectors should be taught from the start as quickly as possible, emphasizing the hyperbolic geometry of flat space-time. The problem I've come across is that various teachers have their unique ways of defining a 4-vector which I've found confusing. Minkowski first defined four-vectors in his famous 1908 lecture which can be found online here with a very useful historical commentary:
> > > https://mathweb.ucsd.edu/~b3tran/cgm/Minkowski_SpaceAndTime_1909.pdf
> > >
> > > But it's not easy reading for a beginner. I've found page 48 of Gravitation pretty easy to understand in comparison:
> > > https://archive.org/details/GravitationMisnerThorneWheeler/page/n71/mode/1up
> > >
> > > Larry
> > According to Tom Roberts, 4-vector math is essential to understand events and behaviors in particle physics. This implies to bring
> > spacetime intervals to the quantum world, the world of things existing below 10E-10 meters, the average size of atoms.
> >
> > In this case Tom and, as I can foresee, you, accept that Minkowski mathematical theory is close to the developments about quantum
> > gravity theories, on which SPACETIME is the essential building block.
> >
> > Maybe you both should join forums on that matter, as it's far from what SR means in THIS forum.
> >
> > Spacetime is the invention of a mathematician, after which legions of bored rookie physicists ran, because it was fashionable and trendy.
> >
> > But spacetime has NO SUBSTANCE by itself, it's a mathematical construct that has been carried so far away as to call it the fabric of the
> > universe. Nothing more irrational, sterile and yet fertile ground for the generations of physicists and mathematicians that have created
> > a mystic context, only available in its meaning for those who adhere to SR and GR under the language of tensors and differential geometry.
> >
> > It's just plastic, synthetic matter with no grounds on reality. Only in the library of mathematical developments of developments that
> > were piled up since its inception, spacetime find its role, sadly unrelated to the reality of nature.
> >
> > For me, it's just some kind of snob under-world, with no value except for the vain, narcissists physicists that want to show off, like peacocks, trying to impress people: "Look how smart I am. Look mom, no hands!".
> Can I ask what your professional career was/is?

> [...]

I'm a retired EE that regained interests in relativity 5 years ago, as a critic.

This shit made me drop a career in physics in 1972, wasting two years of college, when I decided to switch to electronics in 1973.

Couldn't accept the stupidity that relativity is, and how it was gaining momentum in the forced indoctrination of my teachers and
many researchers. After many, many conversations with physicists of that epoch, who very kindly accepted to chat with me with
the truth, I decided that the path that physics was following was WRONG and going to end in more confusion than one century ago.

The '70s was the golden decade of electronics, and I had the privilege to witness the birth and evolution of what we have today.

Never had a regret about my decision, as I started college at 15 and switched to engineering at 17.

I'm critical of the concept of deduction: Theory first, then let experimentalist prove it wrong or forced right.

Inductive research is the correct path for the evolution of scientific knowledge about nature: Facts first, then find a theory that match
reality. Our current state of civilization is due to inductive reasoning (Shockley, Planck), with very rare examples of deductive thinking (Tesla's brushless AC motor).

But, above all, I think that you can't give TIME substance and claim that flows non-linearly with motion, just because one equation
tells you so. And THIS is my biggest rejection in relativity, not the constancy of c.

Lorentz, about his 1904 paper on relativity, clearly stated by 1907: "For me, the expression of the transform of time was just
a mathematical artifact, for which I found NO REAL VALUE". Of course, with a career fading, he switched to support Einstein,
the rising star. And his change paid well, because it helped to maintain Lorentz in the public eye past 1920, as Einstein's PR man.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o New jargon for the same old shit: Tom's FOUR vectors.

By: Richard Hertz on Mon, 15 May 2023

21Richard Hertz