Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 12:39:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Apple's new computer blocks DIY upgrade paths
From: recscuba...@huntzinger.com (-hh)
 by: -hh - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 19:39 UTC

On Thursday, March 31, 2022 at 10:03:58 AM UTC-4, Whisky-dave wrote:
> On Tuesday, 29 March 2022 at 15:10:37 UTC+1, -hh wrote:

> > > But I would never live in a place without a fast connection.
> > > Sane as I;d never live in a plaxce without hot/cold running water or electricity.
> >
> > Which can be easier said than done: one could choose a place to live today
> > that the infrastructure is fine for today's demands, but the "10 year" future
> > capability growth risk could be that it becomes inadequate.
>
> True but unlikely. I think living in London I'm far more likely to be able to get the
> fastest speed possible than if I moved to the isle of Skye or the galopogos islands.

Understood. Point really was to recognize that everyone's current & future conditions
are subject to change, and that there can be some unpleasant surprises at times.

For example, awhile back my wife was starting to look at retirement properties and
we found a promising looking place in the countryside... until we noticed that the
listing said "Electricity Available". In looking further into what that meant, it was two
things: the first was that there would be an additional expense to run power lines.
But the second was that it didn't list telephone, internet, or cableTV as "available",
which meant those services weren't available at any cost: one would only be able
to rely on cellular/satellite...which would be a step backwards vs current capability,
and probably worse for future capability growth.

> > How does one choose to manage / mitigate that type of risk? Moving to a
> > new home is going to be more expensive than buying an internal 8TB SSD.
>
> Some people move home more times than some people buy a new computer.
> Price doesn't come into it.

Of course; generalized comments doesn't exclude exceptions.

> > > But buying a larger SSD won't increase the speed of processing files.
> > > My main reason to update my 2014 iMac isn't the size of the SSD at 500GB ...
> >
> > But that 500GB SSD wasn't the base standard configuration for an iMac in 2014,
> > so it was a "future-proof" investment that you made back in 2014, to have gotten
> > this far in its useful lifespan.
>
> yes and I couldn't buy a large enough SSD so I could have all my videos, photos,
> music on my internal drive, even in 2014 when I was doing SD & HD.

At least directly from Apple.

> I was future-proofing for about 4 years and that was it.

A good point, as part of the question is what makes sense for the "how far out"
in terms of futureproof planning. Personally, I look for 5+ years, but with the
caveat that historically this was more for desktops which could have updates.

> When I fist had a Macplus I had no idea just one of my picvtures of a cat would
> take up more space than I had on a floppy drive ;-)

I wish that I'd taken a photo of my Mac+ before I replaced it with a IIvx ... it looked
pretty rediculous with a pile of something like ~5 external HDD's ... each one was
something like ... 10MB?

> > > ... it's the 'speed' of the processor doing 4K video it takes a few miniutes per
> > > track now. I was so used to doing HD and it'd take <30 seconds.
> >
> > Going from HD to 4K is another illustration of capability growth over time.
>
> Not sure I see the point in goinf to 8K but having just bought a VR heasset can;t
> help but think I'd liike to create content for it.

Understood; I only used 8K as an example of what a capability growth 'need'
might be; VR is another existing example.

> > > I'd like my next iMac to have a larger screen than 27" maybe 30-32 , I'd like
> > > it to be a bit quieter as when the fans ramp up when I'm processing 4k movies
> > > one after another it gets a bit annoying and slightly worrying.
> >
> > Is your plan for your next machine that it is never going to process anything
> > more than 4K video, or do you anticipate a desire for 8K video processing in
> > the future that you also want the next machine to be able to handle?
>
> Handle in what context my 2014 can handle 4K it has a 5k screen too.

But perhaps not VR? Point still is that technology marches on, such that
we know its only a matter of time until current hardware gets left behind.
Challenge is in making good guesses ... neither over- nor under- spending ...
for matching what's for sale today for one's needs, both of today's and
for how they may change, over the next X years.

> > Because some of this thread is touching on futureproofing too.
>
> I try futureproofing for the foreseeable, and that doens't including
> keeping everything I do on the internal drive.

Problem I have is that my current choice of DAM for photography
(Photos) isn't particularly conducive to fragmenting its storage
repository into 2+ pieces. Technically, there are some options,
but I've been admittedly lazy and just thrown an SSD RAID-0 at it.

> For me 10 years is just too far into the future.

Its a long stretch, sure, but it does somewhat (perhaps not intentionally?)
acknowledge that migration between hardware solutions is a "tax" which
needs to be paid too, so there's the cost-benefit of paying a bit more so
as to stretch out useful lifespans so that one only has to do two migrations
per decade instead of three. A lot of the question here comes back again
to personal preferences on what form one prefers the "payment" to be in
(eg, $ for hardware vs personal touch labor, etc).

> > > My largest time is spent uploading to youtube and then youtube processing
> > > from SD > HD > 4k 6, five min tracks I started uploading at about 10:30pm
> > > by 1am they were all on youtube which hadn't fully processed them by 3am
> > > so I went to bed.
> >
> > I've looked at such calculations similarly too, for the prospects of using a
> > Cloud service for an off-site data backup. The challenge with that is that
> > even with a decent fiber connection, if a catastrophic crash occurs, the
> > amount of time required to pull down a complete backup can start to get
> > measured in days instead of just hours. Case in point, 5TB on a 300Mbps
> > fiber at 80% bandwidth utilization is 46 hours (~2 days), assuming no
> > additional problems encountered (throttling from ISP, Cloud service, etc).
>
> Well I haven't had such a crash in over 20+ years but then I use a Mac and don't run windows
> [...]
> If your computer & software is that unrealible I'd find something to do about it.
> Just how often to you need to do such a thing ?

Its not. I've had one crash over ~30 years, couple of years ago now, which tested
my backups. Nothing lost, but it identified where my backup strategies would benefit
from some improvements. Paying for Cloud would be one potential solution; my
thoughts are that its bandwidth limit is a trade-off that wouldn't make it my first choice.

FWIW, this kind of relates back to a backup discussion from my wife's Corporate IT
team from way back - - they were doing incremental (eg nightly) remote site backups
to a remote site and what they had found in their contingency planning was that at the
time, if a mainframe went down & required a full backup to restore, it was higher net
bandwidth to have the physical magnetic tapes sent FedEx overnight than to push
the same data back electronically. FWIW, I don't really recall much more details than
this, but that their facility was consuming a couple of petabytes in the early 1990s.

> You sound like a women who wants to take all her 100 pairs of shoes in a suitcase for a weekend away !

No, I'm really looking at a desktop system, not a portable. So to tweak your shoes
analogy, it is that I want all the shoes to be stored in just one closet at home, instead
of scattered throughout multiple closets in the house.

> > The philosophy of media card capacity trade-offs is a whole 'nuther topic!
>
> Not really.
> you'd never buy a camera hoping it'll still be ok in 10 years time by just adding new lenses.

Depends on what one buys...again. I find my Canon 7D from 2009 to still be fine.
Granted I also have a 7D Mk2 now too (2014); the main "upgrades" besides lenses
has been just some bigger CF cards to increase its magazine depth and reduce card swaps.

> One of the main reasons for going from my canon EOS M3 to M6 mkII was for 4k video
> I doubt I'll be able to by any gadget that will convert my M6 mk2 to 8K video.
> If I really want 8k I'll have to buy a new camera than that is that.

I don't currently have 4K as I'm still more focused on Stills vs moving images; I've
figured that I don't need to invest in a body which does 4K until I've planned out
what desktop supports it well .. the Mac Studio looks like a solution here, as well
as likely a progression to 8K perhaps. Don't think I'll skip over 4K, unless someone
comes out with a cheap killer 8K to create that option.

> > > When it comes to sharing/showing I'd have to work out how much it would cost
> > > me and the PC to go to Australia so my ex flatmate could copy some of my photos,
> > > as hers got stolen after he house was broken into.
> >
> > And thus, the loss of a plausible excuse to take a week's holiday in Oz...
>
> A week wouldn't be enough for me to recover from jet lag, and TBH she can be
> a real pain being French and Female is my diagnosis of her problems, afterc
> sharing a flat with her for 4 years Sydney was about the furthers place I could
> find to recomend as a new home.
Ummm... TMI applies <g> for what was mostly just a throw-away joke on my part.

Thanks to CoVid , I've not had a true holiday away since late 2019 (finally got to
Rapa Nui), so I've been champing at the bit...and then current events has turned up
the wick to kill off free time & holiday prospects thereof: 'tis Groundhog Day, again.

-hh

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Re: Apple's new computer blocks DIY upgrade paths

By: Alan Browne on Wed, 23 Mar 2022

103Alan Browne