Subject: Re: Photo taken in 1977 (was - Mac drive letters?)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
References: <op.1hv6bguemvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <0o7bK.91535$F4h.55034@fx07.ams1> <op.1lfmd7o7mvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <jqbbK.444723$Lc1.306116@fx12.ams1> <op.1lgk84lamvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <H5ubK.295237$2OB.90522@fx09.ams1> <op.1litu1d7mvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <j7LbK.803321$xr1.382624@fx02.ams1> <op.1li39qmvmvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <FtLbK.444735$Lc1.158612@fx12.ams1> <op.1li5n8tcmvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <1SLbK.295241$2OB.150226@fx09.ams1> <SnMbK.118662$sMg.115257@fx06.ams1> <4ca8e51c-189c-4447-a134-b7cff388e941n@googlegroups.com> <op.1lkq7plpmvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <zBdcK.88671$3b1.75209@fx14.ams1> <op.1lmhkhc0mvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <rmpcK.259438$Xa1.63966@fx10.ams1> <op.1lmukcfrmvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <PwqcK.89967$3b1.33357@fx14.ams1> <op.1lmxufq6mvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <YKrcK.38810$ep1.30330@fx03.ams1> <e2db2f9b-dfbd-4053-9183-1010ef25fa2en@googlegroups.com>
From: DGB...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 23:21:17 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Wed, 4 May 2022 22:21 UTC

On 04/05/2022 14:55, Whisky-dave wrote:
> On Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 10:32:48 UTC+1, David Brooks wrote:
>> On 04/05/2022 09:28, Commander Kinsey wrote:

>>> Funnily enough, I'm pro-fuse. I'm not bothered about getting a shock,
>>> but I don't want something catching fire. It's amazing how many things
>>> aren't protected properly. For example did you know a twin UK socket is
>>> not rated to 26 amps? Most (apart from MK) are rated to 20 amps. So if
>>> you max out both of them, things melt! I don't remember seeing a
>>> warning on the front not to use both fully at the same time.
>> No, I didn't know that ..... but few things one 'plugs in' in a home use
>> 13 Amps!
>
> That's partly the point an electric 3 bar fire or a washing machine in dryer mode
> and a 3kw electric kettle. But these aren't always close enough and used at the same time
> on a double outlet.
> Not many things are used continuoisly or for a long period at 13 amps.
> I doubt a washing maching would pull 13 amps and the heater would turn off and on anyway.
> A kettle would but wouldn't be on for more than 10mins.

>>> The earth leakage type or the overload type?
>> Sadly, I have no idea. :-(
>>
>> Can you tell from a picture? https://ibb.co/nckJpXw
>
> Should be some intials like RCCB or something and then check wiki.
> In a correctly wired property they should have the correct one fitted to the fuse box.
>
>>> The earth leakage ones
>>> hate microwave ovens, which leak current to earth on purpose. I
>>> disconnected the earth to mine when I saw a parrot trying to chew the
>>> flex. I removed the earth so the current couldn't go from the wire in
>>> her beak through her heart to the earthed microwave chassis under her
>>> feet [1]. But now when I run the microwave I get a tingle if I touch
>>> it. So clearly something is meant to go to earth. At work, a microwave
>>> kept tripping an earth leakage breaker, but they'd economised and only
>>> put in one for the whole corridor of 100 offices. That caused an
>>> argument or two.
>>>
>>> [1] Earthing things was a very very dangerous idea.
>
> Not by those that know what they are doing.
>
> >Consider you touch
>>> a live wire for some reason - damaged flex, whatever. Normally you'd
>>> get a slight tingle or not even feel it.
>
> Depending on how it is dameged.
>
>> But now imagine your knee is
>>> touching an earthed washing machine. 240V on your hand, 0V on your
>>> knee, with the rather vital heart halfway between. Death. From a
>>> safety device.
>> Oh! Shiver me timbers!
>
> But if the washing machine was earthed it would blow the fuse or whatever device was in the consumer box that's the point.
> That is why earthing a washing machine is a good idea same for most appliances.

>>> I've removed myself from the 24 hour religion of life.
>
> Most humans have this 24 hour cycle even animals do, this is why jet lag happens.
>
>> I get up when
>>> ready, and go to sleep when tired, whenever that may be.

> [...]

I'm going to let Commander Kinsey respond during his night shift! ;-)

I like the idea of a special driving license for good drivers like us! ;-)

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Photo taken in 1977 (was - Mac drive letters?)

By: David Brooks on Wed, 27 Apr 2022

324David Brooks