Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 06:01:01 -0700 (PDT)
<op.1litu1d7mvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <j7LbK.803321$xr1.382624@fx02.ams1>
<op.1li39qmvmvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <FtLbK.444735$Lc1.158612@fx12.ams1>
<op.1li5n8tcmvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <1SLbK.295241$2OB.150226@fx09.ams1>
<SnMbK.118662$sMg.115257@fx06.ams1> <4ca8e51c-189c-4447-a134-b7cff388e941n@googlegroups.com>
<op.1lkq7plpmvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <zBdcK.88671$3b1.75209@fx14.ams1>
<op.1lmhkhc0mvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <rmpcK.259438$Xa1.63966@fx10.ams1>
<op.1lmukcfrmvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <PwqcK.89967$3b1.33357@fx14.ams1>
<op.1lmxufq6mvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <YKrcK.38810$ep1.30330@fx03.ams1>
<op.1lm187kxmvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <eXCcK.259712$Xa1.31559@fx10.ams1> <op.1lo0nlsumvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
Subject: Re: Photo taken in 1977 (was - Mac drive letters?)
From: whisky.d...@gmail.com (Whisky-dave)
 by: Whisky-dave - Thu, 5 May 2022 13:01 UTC

On Thursday, 5 May 2022 at 12:24:55 UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Wed, 04 May 2022 23:16:42 +0100, David Brooks <D...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>
> > On 04/05/2022 11:04, Commander Kinsey wrote:

> >> Washing machine and tumble dryer next to each other? Quite common I
> >> would think. Do two loads in a row, one drying while the next one
> >> washes. Whoops, melted socket.
> >
> > Perhaps you are right - but I've never seen or heard of such a meltdown..
> I have, but it was two of each on an extension strip. Seems the strip was weaker than the 13A fuse. I gave the irritated teacher two new strips, one much longer to plug in the other side of the room. One washer and one dryer seemed to manage together.

I have a LG washer dryer and it says in the instructions NOT to use it from an extention strip.
Which might seema bit odd but I'm guessing it's because some idiot would and plug a kettle, toaster and fan heater into the same strip.

> >> Yes I can tell. The large one on the right is the earth leakage, to
> >> prevent shocks. It trips if 30mA or more is not accounted for (it
> >> compares live to neutral and if any is missing it must have gone to
> >> earth, possibly through you, so it trips). Unfortunately you have the
> >> cheap setup with only one of them, so the whole house will go off [1].
> >> It also functions as a 100A limiter for the whole house, which should
> >> trip before the 100A electricity board fuse by your meter does, if you
> >> were to use that much, or something shorted inside the box, like a wire
> >> coming loose.
> >
> > It's the large, main breaker, is the one that trips with the iron. The
> > small one's don't ever seem to need resetting!
> Seems your iron has a loose wire and is leaking power to earth. Or through your wife.

If it's an old iron could be that the flex has twisted somewhere and worn internally
and a strange of the live wire comes into contact with earth.
Also I've seen on old appliences that a ON neon is connected between live and earth
and that can trigger a cutout, even seen one on a PSU where one side of the neon was connected to Live and the other to the metal case of the PSU
which was earthed.

> >> The others are just limiters and work exactly like fuses, to stop you
> >> using more than 32A on the socket circuit for example,to prevent a
> >> fire. I'm assuming the 4th from the left (downstairs power) is what
> >> tripped when the iron was used, which means you have a very dodgy iron
> >> exceeding 32 amps when it's meant to use about 8.
> >
> > No, as I said above, it's the main breaker which trips!
> >
> >> [1] The fancy ones have earth leakage built into every breaker, so if
> >> you get a shock you only trip that one circuit and the lights don't go
> >> off, which is precisely what you don't want when up a ladder!
> >
> > Understood - but I didn't choose it!
> I have fuses :-)

I do too and thinking of updating

> >> I'm 46 and have decided to retire now. I can get my pension in 9 years..
> >
> > I used to sell pension plans. How will you qualify for your at the age
> > of just 55?
> I thought it was a law. Maybe it's because mine are government plans. 55 with no reason given, even lower if you can prove you're ill.

Yes I think that is correct but you can lose quite a bit by taking it so early .
Normally it's about 60 is reasonable.

> >> To reduce fan speed, ensure they're dust free for better cooling, a
> >> sharp blow from your mouth into it will shift it. Be ready to inhale a
> >> lot of dust, or hold the end of a running hoover hose nearby!
> >
> > Have you ever tried blowing into a 27 inch Apple iMac?!!!
> I wouldn't be seen dead near one, so no.

This boy obviously has no sense of style ;-)

> But what exactly is the problem? You blow where the dust settles. If that's hidden away deeply, you can blow through a straw, or get an air canister (aerosol without any deoderant in it basically).

> >> If we all drove at double the speed and halved the "safety gap", we
> >> could fit 4 times as many cars on the road.
> >
> > We could connect them together with strong tow bars and operate them
> > like a train!
> Volvo suggested with their very close speed matching radars they were safer. An impact would be reduced a lot, because you're only a foot away, so you're almost a part of the car in front.

That doesn't really much much sense if you take into account breaking distances.
I know in F1 cars can be 6 inches apart and be doing 200MPH but they have really good brakes and drivers.
I wouldn't have thought a couple of volvos doing a ~70 MPH and if one hit the brakes the other could stop within 2 metre social distancing.
One day perhaps if boy have driverless mode and communicat with each other.

> >> And delegate?
> >
> > Yes, that too!
> >
> > Remember the adage that I was taught.
> >
> > 'Tis the duty of a wealthy man to enlist the services of an artisan.
> >
> > In truth though:-
> >
> > Lord Finchley tried to mend the Electric Light
> > Himself. It struck him dead: And serve him right!
> > It is the business of the wealthy man
> > To give employment to the artisan.
> >
> > Hilaire Belloc
> This is why people shouldn't grumble about rich folk, as they spend that money much faster than anyone else. The moaners should just go work for them, or make things they want to buy.

For me it depends on how they get rich. Don't really want to bring back slavery

> >> I have never driven slowly at any age and never will, unless a pig is
> >> watching.
> >
> > GOD is watching you - ALWAYS!
> He hasn't told me off yet, he might be a boy racer. Imagine god was a loud mouthed teenager, and we're all inside a game he's playing on a computer.

Like carmeggedon.

> >> A handbrake turn is better under those circumstances. Unfortunately I
> >> usually own a car without a functional handbrake. Apart from the
> >> aforementioned manoeuvre, I'm not sure what they're for, I just park in
> >> gear.
> >
> > You really are nuts!
> What do you use your handbrake for? It really does serve no purpose.

I thought it's main use was for when you park on a hill. Or tan attempt to make yuor car difficult to be stolen or moved
without the drivers or owners permission.

> >> I wasn't, but my subconscious notices everything.
> >
> > You are nearly as bright as me!
> [titter] So what bright things have you done in your life?

and was she a natural blonde or fake blonde

> >> I was once at an office xmas lunch in a restaurant, and my (slightly
> >> OCD) colleague was opposite me and looked irritated. I turned round to
> >> follow his gaze and saw a photo on the wall which was slightly
> >> misaligned. I straightened it, and he said thank you. The other
> >> colleagues were alarmed and thought we had telepathy.
> >
> > The greater consciousness of mankind, I call it.
> In actual fact I just followed where he was looking, saw something I knew would irritated him, and corrected it.

I do the same with students.

> We were once doing some electrical work in a classroom, and found a poster that had been drawn which said "the importance of learing". Neither of us could stop laughing for a full 5 minutes. I have to wonder if the teacher left that there as a punishment for their stupidity, or was too stupid to notice (it was the thickest teacher in the school).

I've done similar things I even put a notice on the wall upside down the students were laughing , I asked them what was funny , they said because it's upside down,
I said Ah so you've actually read it then , so you know I'm closed for lunch from 1-2pm, so you won't keep knocking on the door now will you.

> >> I used to, then decided running was more fun than cycling when doing it
> >> for fun, and driving was more convenient and efficient when doing it to
> >> get somewhere. I can't see the point of bikes unless we run out of oil..
> >
> > You might need it again sooner than you think! Lets hope not, though.
> >
> > Stay safe and well!
> If I get less well I will not be cycling.
>
> We will run out of Lithium.....

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Photo taken in 1977 (was - Mac drive letters?)

By: David Brooks on Wed, 27 Apr 2022

324David Brooks