Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 06:49:43 -0700 (PDT)
<op.1li39qmvmvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <FtLbK.444735$Lc1.158612@fx12.ams1>
<op.1li5n8tcmvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <1SLbK.295241$2OB.150226@fx09.ams1>
<SnMbK.118662$sMg.115257@fx06.ams1> <4ca8e51c-189c-4447-a134-b7cff388e941n@googlegroups.com>
<op.1lkq7plpmvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <zBdcK.88671$3b1.75209@fx14.ams1>
<op.1lmhkhc0mvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <rmpcK.259438$Xa1.63966@fx10.ams1>
<op.1lmukcfrmvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <PwqcK.89967$3b1.33357@fx14.ams1>
<op.1lmxufq6mvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <YKrcK.38810$ep1.30330@fx03.ams1>
<op.1lm187kxmvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <eXCcK.259712$Xa1.31559@fx10.ams1>
<op.1lo0nlsumvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <b13fbaae-487a-49bd-a418-27a3fab9afb2n@googlegroups.com>
<op.1l21axtvmvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
Subject: Re: Photo taken in 1977 (was - Mac drive letters?)
From: whisky.d...@gmail.com (Whisky-dave)
 by: Whisky-dave - Mon, 16 May 2022 13:49 UTC

On Friday, 13 May 2022 at 02:05:22 UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Thu, 05 May 2022 14:01:01 +0100, Whisky-dave <whisk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I have, but it was two of each on an extension strip. Seems the strip was weaker than the 13A fuse. I gave the irritated teacher two new strips, one much longer to plug in the other side of the room. One washer and one dryer seemed to manage together.
> >
> > I have a LG washer dryer and it says in the instructions NOT to use it from an extention strip.
> > Which might seema bit odd but I'm guessing it's because some idiot would and plug a kettle, toaster and fan heater into the same strip.
> I see all sorts of weird stuff like that. My dad's log splitter is 2kW (might be 2.5) and says not to use on an extension cord over 5m. I have a 50m cord that says 13A (just over 3kW), so I don't see the problem.

Thought you knew about physics, it''s a coil and due to induction( sort of eddy currents, resisyance/impedance) and the like it is more likely to heat up and retain that heat than a single lengh of cable.

> Unless they want to lessen the risk of tripping over it? It's running on a 10m cord half unwound attached to a 10m cord fully unwound which is already there for a freezer. I've split about 50 1-tonne bags of logs with it and it works fine. Motorised hydraulics is fun.

I doubt it's on for very long periods continiously that is.

> >> Seems your iron has a loose wire and is leaking power to earth. Or through your wife.
> >
> > If it's an old iron could be that the flex has twisted somewhere and worn internally
> > and a strange of the live wire comes into contact with earth.
> > Also I've seen on old appliences that a ON neon is connected between live and earth
> > and that can trigger a cutout, even seen one on a PSU where one side of the neon was connected to Live and the other to the metal case of the PSU
> > which was earthed.
> Some of the lighting in my house uses earth instead of neutral because it was more convenient to connect to that. Just aswell I only have fuses.

Yes I had to re-wire the old PSUs in a school because of that.

> They're the same thing anyway, there are only 2 conductors coming into my house.

there's a reason why the third wire is called Earth.
Just think of teh cost of wiring if it needed to be connected to the moon or even Mars !

> >> I have fuses :-)
> >
> > I do too and thinking of updating
> Why bother? You'll just earn yourself nuisance trips.

When selling and moving on it's a good plus-point for new buiyers, I might even have to wash the curtains.

> >> I thought it was a law. Maybe it's because mine are government plans. 55 with no reason given, even lower if you can prove you're ill.
> >
> > Yes I think that is correct but you can lose quite a bit by taking it so early .
> > Normally it's about 60 is reasonable.
> I haven't checked the amounts, but I assume they assume you will die at a certain age. So if you're taking it over twice as many years, they halve the amount (with adjustments for interest and inflation etc).

Yes and why some of my slightly younger friends retirment date is 67 or 68
They use life expectance to calculate such things, same problem the NHS has..

> >> I wouldn't be seen dead near one, so no.
> >
> > This boy obviously has no sense of style ;-)
> A computer is a functional item, not a fucking ornament.

It can be both. Why buy an ugly, noisy, biege box .

> >> Volvo suggested with their very close speed matching radars they were safer. An impact would be reduced a lot, because you're only a foot away, so you're almost a part of the car in front.
> >
> > That doesn't really much much sense if you take into account breaking distances.
> What?! If you're 1 foot behind the next car, and it jams it's brakes on, you will hit it with a closing speed of about 2mph and do no damage.
What even if yuo're doing 60MPH, I doubt it.

>This will make you go "shit!" and jam on your brakes too.
Bit late them with thinking distances let alone with reaction timnes.

> > I know in F1 cars can be 6 inches apart and be doing 200MPH but they have really good brakes and drivers.
> > I wouldn't have thought a couple of volvos doing a ~70 MPH and if one hit the brakes the other could stop within 2 metre social distancing.
> You don't have to stop in 2m, you have to react in 2m.

Still takes a distance to come to a stop.
Even star trek takes that into account, which is why you need a structural integrity field,
also used when accelerating it''s all past of the laws of momentum too.

> > One day perhaps if boy have driverless mode and communicat with each other.
Yeah I meant "both".

> Driverless boys?! No no, they must be tied up and given strict instructions.

You back in fantasy mode or the french version of DIY.

> >> This is why people shouldn't grumble about rich folk, as they spend that money much faster than anyone else. The moaners should just go work for them, or make things they want to buy.
> >
> > For me it depends on how they get rich. Don't really want to bring back slavery
> I do. I'd love to have someone else doing things for me, preferably naked..

Back to your chimney boys & mary poppins fantasies are we ;-)

> And actually most slaves were very happy, they got a free home in a nice place. They didn't have to concern themselves with finances either.

I doubt most were happy.

> >> What do you use your handbrake for? It really does serve no purpose.
> >
> > I thought it's main use was for when you park on a hill.
> It would have to be a fucking steep hill,

we even have some of those in London, thought you'd have some in scotland too.

>I just use the gears or turn the wheels into the kerb. I did once park on a steep hill without turning the wheels to the kerb. A passerby shouted to me "your car is dancing!" It was trying to start the engine and jumping back a few inches at a time in gear.

I wonder how Electric cars get around this, as I didn;t think they had gears in the same way.

> > Or tan attempt to make yuor car difficult to be stolen or moved
> > without the drivers or owners permission.
> Handbrakes are very weak, that wouldn't stop anyone. You just put the car onto a tow truck anyway.

Little chance of getting a tow truck for such a thing near me, cars parked to close together.

Last two breakins of cars near me where 2 BMWs one had it's steering wheel stolen and the other had the disabled parking badge stolen.

> >> [titter] So what bright things have you done in your life?
> >
> > and was she a natural blonde or fake blonde
> Easy to spot, they're too thick to dye their eyebrows.

Not all, some dye some shave and use eyebrow pencil. I've know some to wear coloured cotact
lenes, one in particular has green cats eye contacts.
>They look fucking stupid. It's like painting your car a different colour and forgetting one door.

depends on the effect you want I guess.

> >> In actual fact I just followed where he was looking, saw something I knew would irritated him, and corrected it.
> >
> > I do the same with students.
> For example?

Watch them see what they are trying to do.
One girl that was more interested in taking selfies than doing her project, moved from one bench to another taking the glue gun with her.
After another 10mins of posing she put her hand on the glue gun and decdied it wasn't getting warm so unplugged it and plugged it into another socket.
Carried on posing and chatting away on her phone, after anotherb 10mins I went over towards her and asked if everything was OK, she said your glue guns doesn't work it's not heating up.
So I showed her the rocker switch next to the socket and explained that you need to switch that on too, and in about 5mins it'll be hot enough.
She looked really embarresed as she'd been at least 30mins in to her 2 hour allocated time and done nothing.
But I didn't make fun of her, she know she'd did that all on her own :-)

Such things have even happend to our academics, not looking atb the obvious first things, like check the PSU is actually switched on
before you complain it's not working.

> >> We were once doing some electrical work in a classroom, and found a poster that had been drawn which said "the importance of learing". Neither of us could stop laughing for a full 5 minutes. I have to wonder if the teacher left that there as a punishment for their stupidity, or was too stupid to notice (it was the thickest teacher in the school).
> >
> > I've done similar things I even put a notice on the wall upside down the students were laughing , I asked them what was funny , they said because it's upside down,
> > I said Ah so you've actually read it then , so you know I'm closed for lunch from 1-2pm, so you won't keep knocking on the door now will you.
> I never closed for lunch. In fact lunch was the best time to fix things, when others weren't using the computers.

We don't close as a lab but we aren't there when going out to get sandwhiches and I don't like students coming up to me asking for things etc
while I'm eating, so my typical lunchtime is 12:30-13:30 another tech goes from 12:00-13:00 and the other goes from about 13:30 to 14:30,
so the lab is always open 9:00-17:00, sometimes until 18:00.
We sometimes swap our times around or is someone is on holiday or off sick, but the lab is always open.
And if open there has to be at least 2 members of staff present, but we aren't too strict on that one.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Photo taken in 1977 (was - Mac drive letters?)

By: David Brooks on Wed, 27 Apr 2022

324David Brooks