If an experiment works, something has gone wrong.

tech / rec.photo.digital / Re: Photo taken in 1977 (was - Mac drive letters?)

Re: Photo taken in 1977 (was - Mac drive letters?)

<op.1netdem3mvhs6z@ryzen.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12176&group=rec.photo.digital#12176

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: Photo taken in 1977 (was - Mac drive letters?)
<op.1lmhkhc0mvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <rmpcK.259438$Xa1.63966@fx10.ams1>
<op.1lmukcfrmvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <PwqcK.89967$3b1.33357@fx14.ams1>
<op.1lmxufq6mvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <YKrcK.38810$ep1.30330@fx03.ams1>
<e2db2f9b-dfbd-4053-9183-1010ef25fa2en@googlegroups.com>
<op.1l2vijolmvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<d045875c-537b-41bd-bbee-4d6d1bdb66cen@googlegroups.com>
<PsCdneIVj4KIIR__nZ2dnUU7-bvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<176dnSWQdekhXR__nZ2dnUU7-W_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<abfd5e9f-f3da-4c57-812f-0c6722872530n@googlegroups.com>
<op.1moyd4zmmvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<81a60357-05fc-42a9-92b4-0d459e3726bbn@googlegroups.com>
<op.1m0extwpmvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<0b4fd22c-7f4c-429d-b59c-0a47868d81cfn@googlegroups.com>
<op.1m4wjnn5mvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<3c4cb07b-de48-42dd-893a-a321aab70a7an@googlegroups.com>
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2022 21:18:40 +0100
 by: Commander Kinsey - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 20:18 UTC

On Mon, 06 Jun 2022 11:23:43 +0100, Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 2 June 2022 at 12:51:21 UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:

>> > I'd expect it to work OK and my washer dryer works fine on an expention lead too.
>> > I think most things I have do. My garden strimmer did too but I got a bit fed up with
>> > having to mak sure I didn;t fall over the lead or cut it, or get it tangled up
>> > that I bought a cheap battery trimmer that does pretty much the same job and now
>> > I don't have to keep skipping over a lead or have to worry about the plug coming out of any socket.
>> Never had a problem with that. For example cutting a lawn I simply go up and down working gradually away from the socket so the lead trails behind me. Admittedly if you have flowerbeds all over the lawn you need a battery mower to go round them more easily without breaking the flowers..
>> > If I bought a log splitter I'd most likely go for a battery one so wouldn't have the lead problem.
>> A battery powered 2.5kW motor ROTFPMSL!
>
> Doubt I'd need such a thing, why are you cutiing up logs anyway.
> I've never needed to do it.

Old fireplace, they couldn't be bothered getting someone to replace the fire bricks at the back, so put some fire bricks in front of them, so the fireplace is narrower. Some logs come too large, since they get them cheap from from a local guy who fells trees in big estates, and he doesn't do custom sizes.

>> And since a log splitter sits in one place, why is a lead a problem?
>
> No idea never had one.

Well I haven't fallen over the lead yet, but I did manage to make it fire half a log out of the machine and whack me on the knee. Hit my funnybone or whatever it is there, so I kicked the machine.

>> > that's the idea and it blows the fuse removing the dangerous volts from the case of the device they'll you'll be touching.
>> > That is alos why most devices are earthed. Just because you don't understand it doesn't make it wrong.
>> A circuit is required to cause current to flow. If there is no earth, you cannot get a shock. You need live plus earth/neutral to get the shock.
> Most people stand on this planet called earth.

No, most are on a non-conducting floor, or are wearing non conductive shoes. When I were a lad, my friend dared me to touch an electric fence. So I did. Nothing happened, until I touched the ground with my other hand. That was funny, I did a mexican wave.

> A friend of mine said she kept feeling tiggly when in the shower. So I went over and found that the boidger had installed the shower
> using twin and earth and that the Live had shorted to the earth making the shower head live, and the flat wasn;t earthed.
> She';s lucky she wasn't killed, if it had been earthed the fuse would have blown.

If there was no earth in the cable she also wouldn't have got a shock. Earths can be dangerous.

It's not likely to be killed by electricity actually. It's why they call it a "shock". In fact I've heard our 240V is safer than the USA 110V, because you jump more and let go.

And as you've said, she felt tingly, so hardly dangerous.

Those earth leakage breakers are useless, my dad still got a shock with one when he unplugged a lamp and the pins weren't sleeved. Live to neutral, no trip. Same with my neighbour working on lighting that someone else then switched on. He flew off the ladder.

You can buy Chinese shower head with an exposed heating element in the water. They do have a safety device, a bit of earth wire under the element to catch some of the power going through the water. They tell you not to use the shower head less than a feet from the top of your head or you might feel tingly.

>> > But remmeber it's the sustained current that kills not the voltage.
>> Oh you're not one of those are you? Look, your car battery has 300 amps and 12 volts, you can't even feel it. Volts are required to cause the fucking current.
>
> But with AC the volts reduce, lots of fires are caused by batteries which can be fatal too.
> Lots of fires are electrical and these are caused by high currents our last 2 fire alarms were set off because of fires caused by low voltage DC.
> One of our students projects when working on a drone the battery was onl;y 11.1V but capable of 400 amps. Some how they shorted it out the cable melted and caused the fire alarm to go off.
> Another happened in another lab working on a small scale felectric car note sure of the details .

If he was working on it he could sound the alarm.

> But EVs typically rub on 400V peolpe managed to site in them without getting electrucuted.

The batteries are sealed just incase you go through a ford and kill all the fish or a dog/person wading across. Pathetic health and softy but I guess it also means you don't bust the car.

>> > You're more likely to be killed by holding on to a 110V than from a 230V that breaks a connection via a fuse or breaker.
>> Bullshit, absolute bullshit. The fuse or breaker (assuming you mean a current one, not an earth leakage one) will blow when over 13 amps or whatever flows. That's way more than will go through you as you have a fair bit of resistance, so it will never trip.
>
> That's why we have earth leakage ones.

Those are a pest, they trip when you run a microwave, or turn on several computers at once (filter capacitors).

>> > and shit for charging too.
>> I don't charge things off my phoneline.
>
> Most charge their phones via a USB cable, I do.

I've never had a USB cable that refused to charge my phone.

>> > even thin copper isn't best for charging, the longer the cable the more shitty it usually is unless.
>> > Which is why almost any cable as a lenght limit including mains and USB.
>> Never come across a length prpblem apart from when I connected up my own solar panels. Running 12V from the garage roof to the house was annoying, as I would drop a couple of volts easily.
> Happens in boats t a friend had this problem he couldn't start the engine, he thought he could save money by using old mains cable from the battery to the started motor.

I was told I had to run very thick cable for my 6kW car stereo. My friend fitted a huge capacitor in the boot of his car. I just added a second battery in the back.

>> > Wate money on expensive wire, just use the silver foil from kit-kat wrappers.
>> > If it's good enough for junkies, instead of buying expensive bacofoil......
>> It's amazing the shit people try to sell on Ebay, I just bought a phone protective cover advertised as a full cover for both sides made of silicone (soft, absorbs shock). But no, one side was cheap hard plastic, which he just tried to convince me protected the phone better. I guess he doesn't understand crumple zones. Well guess who's paying for the return postage.
>
> I rarely use ebay for this sort of reason, not worth my time pissing about with it. I thinbk this is why the college doesnt; allow us to use ebay
> unless 'we' take responsibility.

I used Ebay all the time at the school, got everything about a third of the price of the "correct" suppliers. I was collecting a couple of grand a month from petty cash.

Who cares if some stuff is shit, you just get your money back.

>> > well most do, not quite all,
>> There might be the odd scientist with intelligence, but they're most likely Oriental and not actual Americans.
>>
>> Japan = IQ 106
>> China = IQ 105
>> UK = IQ 99
>> America = IQ 97
>> Gorilla = IQ 80
>> Nigerian = IQ 65
>>
>> Yes, seriously, Gorillas are officially cleverer than Niggers.
>> > then ther;es trump supporters which might be able to win and IQ contest
>> > against the contents of a cat littler tray btu I wouldn't bet on it..
>> Trump supporters are the bright ones. Right wing = common sense, left wing = theives.
>
> Common sense to drink bleach to cure covid, there;s a reason why so many trump supports died of covid
> they believe God would protect them from covid, but they still need to buy guns because obviously God can't protect them.
> That canadians burned the white house, and there were airports in the 17th century.

Anyone who believes in god after covid is a moron.

Trump survived covid. It only kills the weak.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Photo taken in 1977 (was - Mac drive letters?)

By: David Brooks on Wed, 27 Apr 2022

324David Brooks