Just don't create a file called -rf. :-) -- Larry Wall in <11393@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>

tech / rec.photo.digital / Re: Photo taken in 1977 (was - Mac drive letters?)

Re: Photo taken in 1977 (was - Mac drive letters?)

<op.1n8b07xmmvhs6z@ryzen.home>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12217&group=rec.photo.digital#12217

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: Photo taken in 1977 (was - Mac drive letters?)
<op.1lmukcfrmvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <PwqcK.89967$3b1.33357@fx14.ams1>
<op.1lmxufq6mvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <YKrcK.38810$ep1.30330@fx03.ams1>
<op.1lm187kxmvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <eXCcK.259712$Xa1.31559@fx10.ams1>
<op.1lo0nlsumvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<b13fbaae-487a-49bd-a418-27a3fab9afb2n@googlegroups.com>
<op.1l21axtvmvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<7dc85ed4-62d5-4de1-bdca-b991ec575cf7n@googlegroups.com>
<op.1m2enfg0mvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<6c7c0ec6-e8a0-4d00-a509-1e370a74843en@googlegroups.com>
<op.1nen35afmvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<15b28ae3-a78b-4903-9182-1a5bd600d73an@googlegroups.com>
<op.1nkqc7c1mvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<1bea1a7b-c87d-49b9-9ad5-922e83f5a0een@googlegroups.com>
<op.1nspeig0mvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<4896c405-27e3-4d4c-8427-441ea30e3a0fn@googlegroups.com>
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 19:52:09 +0100
 by: Commander Kinsey - Thu, 23 Jun 2022 18:52 UTC

On Thu, 16 Jun 2022 13:53:27 +0100, Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 15 June 2022 at 09:19:30 UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:

>> > Strange thatcars still have handbrakes if they are not needed.
>> They are if you live in a steep area, or are too thick to be able to do a hill start with the footbrake.
>
> I thought cars could be used for traveling around and even visiting places you don't live.
> Been strange to see a car without a handbrake and there's a warning sticker saying not to be driven to places where you don't live or where there are steep hills.
> I know F1 cars dont; have them but it;s not exactly a large market for such cars.

It needs to be a very steep hill to need the handbrake. I've only ever encountered two.

>> > Hand brakes aren't for power stopping.
>> WTf do you mean "power" stopping. I'm talking about preventing movement when parked.
>
> Yes that was what they are for but yuo seem to think they aren;t needed beacuse you can use steering of just not stoping on slopes is the answer

If it's a town road with a kerb, then yes you can use the kerb like a chock.

>> > Youy don;t use the handbrake for an emergency stop.
>> You do when the footbrake fails. I had a car for 6 months with zero footbrakes, I used gears and the handbrake to come to a stop.
>
> Lucky they yuo had a handbrake in yuor world you say nthey aren;t needed so how would you have stopped the car ?

I would have fixed one of foot/handbrake.

> Oh yes using stearing to the kerb of driving up steep hills to slow down.

Why would I need to slow down when going uphill?

> You sound like something from a Mr Bean sketch.

I must give you a lift sometime, you'll be grabbing things for dear life. I once gave a lift to three colleagues. The one in the front seat found it amusing when I went more than double the speed limit over speedbumps, causing the women in the back to bash their heads off the roof.

>> > No, do you think only teenages go to nightclubs.
>> Yes, and those who never grew up. Which are you?
>
> Both depending how I feel.
> I'm not ready for teh local retirement home, not even ready to book my place as you obviously are.

I can be a childish arsehole too, but not with social shit like nightclubs.

> I guess if Miley Cyrus asked you to go to a nightclub you'd say no because you're both too old.

I'd prefer to go somewhere more quiet with her. You can't exactly fuck someone in the middle of a nightclub.

> Have a nice cup of tea and an iced bun and share a bag or werthers originals.
> Wow what a life.

I'm the exact opposite of that.

>> > I don't , I rarely need one.
>> You never need to print a returns label etc?
>
> No I do it at work.
> I've only had to do that once in teh last 10 years too.
> I aviod buying faulty or crap stuff that needs sending back.

Then you waste money.

And don't you ever sell anything?

>> > Most thefts seems to be amazon boxes left outside
>> Why do Amazon do that? Hermes do too,
>
> Because the people aren't in seems a reasonable reason.

One left a package the other day, he knocked then placed it on the doorstep. Ok, my car was in the driveway, but is that a guarantee I'm in?

And why the fuck can't they use the doorbell?! A banging noise could be anything.

>> I found a parcel at my front door that had been in the rain for hours.
>
> why not make a box leave it with an unlocked padlock and tell anyone to leave the pacels in and lock it.
> Seems a simple solution to me.

I have a shed with CCTV. And a notice saying to put things in it. Half of them can't be arsed. They want to do their round as fast as possible.

>> > what has religion got to do with it ?
>> That's why they did it in Egypt.
>
> So, it;s not done today for that reason.
> People men and wonmen used to wear makeup and perfumes so they couldn't smell
> the stench of the cities or see the sores on their person.

So not needed nowadays.

>> > So why does she do it.
>> Because she's an idiot.
>
> So you find iodiots attractive.

Intelligence does not change someone's looks. Anyway she has a fucking good voice.

>> > Yes. I have a lunch break just like I have a break to have a shit.
>>
>> Why? Just have a break whenever it's quiet.
> Because sometimes it;s not quiet from 9am to 6pm.
> Some of our classes are of 600 , we have to split them up throught the day.
>
>> > There are two other technicians in the labs, and usually the lecturer and one or two demostrators sometimes more.
>> >
>> > Do you let students ask for help while you take a dump.
>> That is not as interruptible as eating.
>
> They can learn to wait it''s part of their training for the real world.
> Eevn if they only end up in a burger bar they might be open from 6am to midnight but staff are still allowed breaks

A lot of jobs don't give you breaks.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Photo taken in 1977 (was - Mac drive letters?)

By: David Brooks on Wed, 27 Apr 2022

324David Brooks