No extensible language will be universal. -- T. Cheatham

tech / rec.photo.digital / Re: Photo taken in 1977 (was - Mac drive letters?)

Re: Photo taken in 1977 (was - Mac drive letters?)

<op.1q0txltxmvhs6z@ryzen.home>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12702&group=rec.photo.digital#12702

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: Photo taken in 1977 (was - Mac drive letters?)
<op.1qf1jsy4mvhs6z@ryzen.home>
<5e7e7a84-f5b6-4a8b-9634-67dc40119b2en@googlegroups.com>
<op.1qn02wwjmvhs6z@ryzen.home>
<23fc72b8-6368-40b2-a2b9-4e2902c59988n@googlegroups.com>
<op.1qs48pq0mvhs6z@ryzen.home>
<74aadf31-f869-4406-9d39-90788e84dd9cn@googlegroups.com>
<op.1qwy9sk2mvhs6z@ryzen.home>
<b4975d65-5bdb-4218-b72f-48b0de7df61an@googlegroups.com>
<op.1qykq8itmvhs6z@ryzen.home>
<2c37b953-2def-43f2-94d3-766262c93f82n@googlegroups.com>
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 02:18:47 +0100
 by: Commander Kinsey - Wed, 17 Aug 2022 01:18 UTC

On Tue, 16 Aug 2022 13:36:52 +0100, Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, 15 August 2022 at 21:05:31 UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:

>> > Interesting not sure if I'd like it, I don't like heights on a ladder or looking directly down when on a tall building,
>> > but being on a plane I'm OK.
>> > I think that's the difference of vertigo and heights.
>> > A friend of mine gets dizzy when looking up at tall building but is OK looking down from one.
>> When I was 4000 feet in the air, looking down didn't seem high, the ground was so small it just looked like some kind of model setup. And hanging from the chute with steering controls, I felt more like I was in a vehicle than floating mid air.

>> > yeah the recommenced amount is a bit odd, I've only seen double once but didn;t feel as drunk as on a few other occasions.
>> As I drink more far away things become slightly out of focus, but not bad enough cause a problem. I thought my sight was going until I realised it was ok on the rare occasion I was sober.
>
> I don;t remmeber focussing being an issue but co-ordination & balance could a bit off.

My balance is good, first time I ever got drunk as a teenager, my friend fell over when trying to punch me. I just sidestepped and watched him land flat on his face. We had both drunk the same and he was bigger than me.

> Certain types of women became more attractive as I drank more which can be a problem.

Odd, that didn't change for me.

>> The RDA is good for you. Double the RDA is even better for you. Triple the RDA is the same for you as the RDA. Quadruple the RDA is the same as being T-Total. Only after that you go downhill.
>
> Not sure how true that is as many people are efectivley T-total of just don;t drink due to culture. They seem to cope with life without drink alcohol.
> Don;t forget it's an allowence and not something you must have.

It's supposed to reduce the risk of heart problems if you have it in moderation.

>> > OK

>> > I haven't but know someone that did. I think the beer was off I could hardly finish the first pint.
>> > A few 100 years ago in london you could rent a place to sleep and the cheapest ones they stood you up tied a rope around you so you
>> > wouldn;t fall down . They could pack more people in a room that way. think is was the 1700-1800s saw it on TV.
>> I'd had to have missed a few night's sleep before that would work for me.

>> > Thought about both but laser surgery sometimes needs doing again after 5+ years.
>> > I can really watch TV with reading glasses on so not sure I;'d like contacts for just reading.
>> Don't you get varifocal contacts? Or do what my Aunt does. Contacts so distance is ok, then add glasses for short range stuff only, without having to remove the contacts.
>
> They do but I don;t feel the need for them.

Well if you only need glasses for short range, no point in contacts.

>> > They don't look easy to take out.

>> > We have magnifying glasses with a ring of LED's called helping hands with 3 croc-clips for holding things,
>> > makes soldering so much easier .
>> Yes I use those, but without the LED ring. I have decent room lighting anyway. I've got 200 watts of LEDs (which would be equivalent to 1.5kW of incandescent) in my living room which is 7m x 3.5m. Plus some UV lights as the parrots can see UV.
>
> I don't do much soldering at home, have LEDs lighting at work now sure what the rating is but I tend to have them dimmed a bit anyway.

>> > Something like spacetime , if yuo travel forward in time you also have to travel in distance too.
>> Why? If you travel north you don't have to go a bit east too.
>
> But you do as the earth is rotating and the earth is orbiting the sun and orbiting our galaxy and the universe is expanding.
> So if I go back to find van goth the earth was in a differnt part of the galaxy to what it is now.
> The only real way to achive that is to bend space and therefor bent time is using gravity .

Depends what the physical point of reference is when time travelling. Do you end up in the same place relative to a local mass like the earth, or relative to the centre of the universe?

>> > we have an electrical waste bin at work for such things.
>> > I have hard drives, one day I'll remove the circuit boards add some surface mount LEDs and a small battery and flashing circuit
>> > and frame it as art. Not sure I'll win a turner prize but one day I'll get around to it.
>> A hard disk is very good for concealing marijuana. They're hermetically sealed so a dog won't smell it, and nobody at an airport would open one.
>
> But they could ask you to start it up,

It could just be a plain 3.5" disk with no way to talk to it.

and x-rays can see oddities in such a think.

They can't get through steel.

> Who carries HDs norwerdays anyway most have SSDs .

Depends on the capacity.

>> > I just don;t find that look sexy.
>> What she's wearing isn't really relevant anyway, it's what she looks like underneath.
>
> Could be pregnant ?. If she has a nice figure why hide it in plastic bag.

It's not plastic. Plastic is the crap you showed me them wearing in the club.

>> > Most people wear cloths it;s practical.
>> No it isn't, it's a pointless hassle.
>
> Not since we evolved from apes.

It's hardly evolution to require something extra.

>> I've done running races in summer where stupid folk (everyone else in the race) had a tshirt on. I didn't. They were pouring with sweat and I was comfortable, and overtook loads of them. Several said, "that's a good idea" - they hadn't thought of it!
>
> Strange professonal athletes don't do it, or wear the bare minium why is that.
> From 100M to the marathon if whjat you say is correct they would be wearing as little as possible.

Most athletes do wear not very much, but there are silly rules. For example I watched a triathlon in SUMMER and they had full wetsuits on, very inconvenient when they had to strip them off to cycle. The swim was like 10 minutes in summer temperature water.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Photo taken in 1977 (was - Mac drive letters?)

By: David Brooks on Wed, 27 Apr 2022

324David Brooks