From: jl...@650pot.com (john larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: mental imaging
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 15:02:05 -0800
References: <slrnupp9fj.clb.dan@djph.net> <v3dppi18mmrup5jl1f44dva3nhklj1o5bh@4ax.com> <GwJnN.152915$c3Ea.102520@fx10.iad> <7duvpipvbvcjut33d8v9cs1dmgi8corqvr@4ax.com> <0100qi9dg8mot6hoic6koi6bdahlte976f@4ax.com> <wdWnN.144876$Wp_8.58399@fx17.iad> <eef0qitbnfbpvpt1k9h2a23fa93k0q3m7j@4ax.com> <LlYnN.67261$m4d.18282@fx43.iad> <DwYnN.67262$m4d.35077@fx43.iad> <452huidqrnf00luqous677quhf16raisr6@4ax.com> <189582fa-ef9d-e0b4-bf3f-b6d15853987d@electrooptical.net>
 by: john larkin - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 23:02 UTC

On Wed, 6 Mar 2024 17:36:52 -0500, Phil Hobbs

>On 2024-03-06 10:31, John Larkin wrote:

>>> Incidentally I think another reason people leave engineering tracks is
>>> that the quality of the didaction at anything but top-tier US
>>> universities tends to range from just okay to abysmal.
>>
>> People leave engineering mostly because they shouldn't have signed up
>> for it in the first place; too many do. Any engineering school that
>> provides the basics is good enough. Nobody teaches undergrad
>> "electronic design" that I know of.
>>
>> I suspect that the most rigorous schools actually drive some
>> engineering talent away. They treat engineering as another formal,
>> rigorous scientific/mathematical discipline, which it's not. That's
>> another discussion.
>>
>> I was just talking about that with a guru at a giant 2-character-named
>> corporation. He won't work on anything below a billion dollar project.
>> We agree that ee schools emphasize semiconductor design too much (the
>> ICE in SPICE) and that the semi industry slurps up the best.
>>
>> Granted your assumption about US universities, what universities are
>> best at ee "didaction" ? What countries create the best electronics
>> designers?
>
>As far as I know, the best places for turning out BSEEs who can actually
>design stuff are CU Boulder and MSU Bozeman.
>
>(Insert obligatory vigorous disagreement on the value of rigorous math.)
>
>Cheers
>
>Phil Hobbs

Math is wonderful and necessary. But it doesn't have ideas.

When I was at Tulane, the ee dean told me that undergraduates don't do
design, that was reserved for grad school. Funny.

I've employed two, maybe three, PhDs and I didn't find them to be
especially creative. They seemed to be afraid to break rules. I do
have a very recent PhD hire that I'm optimistic about; she has had a
bunch of hands-on experience in power electronics and had ideas in an
interview brainstorm.

It would be fun to teach a course on electronic design.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o mental imaging

By: John Larkin on Wed, 3 Jan 2024

46John Larkin