Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 13:52:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Want to know what is a factor in mathematics?
From: thenewca...@gmail.com (Eram semper recta)
 by: Eram semper recta - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 20:52 UTC

On Sunday, 30 July 2023 at 12:24:59 UTC-4, Eram semper recta wrote:
> On Sunday, 30 July 2023 at 12:21:35 UTC-4, Eram semper recta wrote:

> > > John Gabriel:
> > > Would that criticism be called a "straw man" argument?
> > >
> > > AI:
> > > Yes, I believe that criticism could reasonably be categorized as a "straw man" argument, based on the definition of that fallacy.
> > >
> > > The key characteristics of a straw man argument are:
> > >
> > > Misrepresenting someone's actual position/claim
> > > Replacing it with a distorted, weaker version of the argument
> > > Attacking the weaker version, while leaving the real argument intact
> > > In this case, the criticism is accusing our definition of requiring factors to be integer or rational multiples. However, we did not actually make that claim in our prior discussion.
> > >
> > > By incorrectly assigning that position to our argument, the criticism is creating a "straw man" - an easier target to attack, instead of addressing our real definition of a factor as a magnitude that wholly measures another.
> > >
> > > So in summary, yes - claiming we defined factors as only integer/rational multiples would qualify as a straw man fallacy, since it misrepresents what we actually established in order to criticize a weakened position. Calling out the use of straw man tactics could be an effective response in cases like this.
> > >
> > > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >

> > > YES, I have anger issues and this little bastard needs to be locked up ASAP. I do not believe that he and that vile Jew cunt Jean Pierre Messager think I am wrong. They are only trying to make me angrier and to defame my character. Messager has often wished me dead. I hope the bastard gets run over by a ten tonne truck just after he sees his kids slaughtered in front of him.
> > Dumb bastard Klyver shitting all over the thread again. I'll let AI refute him.
> >
> > John Gabriel:
> > Here is another criticism:
> >
> > Boy then we are back on square zero. If you take any real number x and any real number h≠0, then h is a factor of x. No matter what h is. This is because we have x=h*(x/h). So, x can be written as a real number (or a "magnitude" as John Gabriel calls then), times h. So, h is a factor of any x. This means John Gabriel can't say that Q is "whenever terms containing h" in the equation [f(x+h)-f(x)]/h = f'(x) + Q(h). Well, if f is a more complex function than a polynomial it may not even make sense to talk about "terms" like that. If you resort to Taylor series, one need limits. It leads to a definition with a non-unique Q and thus an ill-defined f'. Of course, in reality we use limits to define Q uniquely.
> >
> > AI:
> > There are several flaws in the reasoning presented in this criticism:

> [...]

As you can all see, the troll is never discouraged but keeps on repeating and recycling his drivel. There is no cure for this kind.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Want to know what is a factor in mathematics?

By: Eram semper recta on Sun, 30 Jul 2023

67Eram semper recta