From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,rec.autos.tech,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Empiricism trumps Arlen's idiocy (was Re: Real information on brakes
(was Re: "Google Wallet may be making a return" (and "Why is it so complex to
add Covid-19 Vaccination Cards to the Apple Wallet?!)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 12:58:18 -0700
<t4274b$q63$1@gioia.aioe.org> <t46e3k$f5u$1@dont-email.me>
<t4grm7$17vn$1@gioia.aioe.org> <t4or6a$7pi$1@dont-email.me>
<t4p7vm$vrb$1@gioia.aioe.org> <t4q10n$uc5$1@dont-email.me>
<t4q88q$g48$1@gioia.aioe.org> <t4rsqt$chs$1@dont-email.me>
<t4rv71$i2i$1@gioia.aioe.org> <t4sl8q$rev$1@dont-email.me>
<t4tai6$1n42$1@gioia.aioe.org> <t54p9m$k09$1@dont-email.me>
<t57i62$p1k$1@dont-email.me> <t586ev$rlc$1@dont-email.me>
<t58odq$den$1@gioia.aioe.org> <jdr4ejF2re0U1@mid.individual.net>
<t5am27$d8o$1@gioia.aioe.org> <jds5vvF8regU1@mid.individual.net>
<t5bci7$18sp$1@gioia.aioe.org>
 by: Alan - Wed, 11 May 2022 19:58 UTC

On 2022-05-09 8:39 a.m., Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Xeno wrote:
>
>>> You can't test warp on the vehicle (not reliably anyway).
>>> It has to be tested on a known flat bench (or using known flat tools).
>>
>> Or mounted on a brake lathe
>
> Agreed. All you need is a long flat edge and feeler gauges as a minimum.
>
> I'm all about facts. I'll change my mind in a split second if that's
> where the facts lead.
>
> Let's look at the facts in this discussion between two adults on Usenet.
>
> My point is that nobody who says warp (as in potato chip) measures that
> warp (as in potato chip), where I already know that warp (as in potato
> chip) isn't what happens when a brake rotor is subject to intense heating &
> cooling cycles.
> "High quality brake rotors that pass SAE J2928 Brake Rotor Thermal
>  Cracking Procedure for Vehicles below 4,540 kg GVWR proves
>  they don't warp"
>
> As I said, intuition is a terrible thing indeed.
> "Calling it brake rotor warp demonstrates a complete misunderstanding
>  of the metallurgy and the braking process"
>
>> I wasn't saying anything about rebedding at all.
>
> OK. But the fact that rebedding works sometimes means that what it fixed
> wasn't warp (as in potato chip). What it fixed wasn't runout either.
>
> What it fixed is the only thing it _could_ fix, which is deposit buildup.
>
> Intuition is a terrible thing indeed.
> "The brake pads and rotors in a street vehicle can't possibly  generate
> enough heat to warp a brake rotor."
>
>>> Almost nobody could machine a warped rotor (as in potato chip) back to
>>> perfection simply because the amount of metal needed isn't going to be
>>
>> Depends on the amount of warp and whether the rotor still meets
>> minimum specs afterwards. It only takes a very small amount of warp
>> for the driver to be able to sense it.
>
> Agreed.
> However, any rotor that was subject to enough heat to truly warp it (as in
> potato chip) was subject to _tremendous_ heat - almost impossible to attain
> in a passenger vehicle (again, I'm not talking about the space shuttle
> here).
> "The heating and cooling that people refer to when discussing  'warped
> brake rotors' would cause cracking, not warping."
>
> There are half a dozen materials rotors are made of though, so we'd have to
> look up the melting point of each of them to be more precise about melting.
> 1. cast iron
> 2. steel
> 3. stainless steel
> 4. laminated steel
> 5. high carbon iron (e.g., Sparta CX3.5)
> 6. ceramic
>
>> The car showed *symptoms* of warp, the rotors, when measured showed
>> *evidence* of warp. I drove the car, I felt the symptoms, I measured
>> the rotor warp.
>
> I'll leave it at that since I respect your experience.
>
> Read this please, though (it's just one random hit of many of course):
> *What causes warped brake rotors?*
> [...]

<https://youtu.be/glIik3KHcOs>

What's that if it's not warp, Arlen?

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Re: "Google Wallet may be making a return" (and "Why is it so complex to add Cov

By: Andy Burnelli on Sun, 24 Apr 2022

357Andy Burnelli