Subject: Re: The change in forest extincted dinosaurs.
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: jharsh...@pacbell.net (John Harshman)
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 10:36:39 -0700
 by: John Harshman - Wed, 28 Apr 2021 17:36 UTC

On 4/28/21 8:44 AM, Mario Petrinovic wrote:
> On 28.4.2021. 17:11, John Harshman wrote:

>>>          Thanks John.
>>>          "Fern spike", I'll have to examine this.
>>>          Not necessarily "crave" for sunlight, but definitely being
>>> better in scooping the sunlight. Like hemoglobin in blood, which
>>> extracts oxygen. If oxygen levels fall, obviously the animals adapted
>>> to low levels will thrive.
>>>          A couple of years could be enough.
>>>          I believe the teeth of dinosaurs were adapted just to strip
>>> ferns (but I am not sure about it).
>>>
>> Yeah, you should check out the fern spike. Do you have any evidence
>> that arctic plants are better at scooping up sunlight than tropical
>> ones? You should probably check out the difference between C3 and C4
>> plants. And no, a couple of years isn't enough at all; you should
>> probably check out the term "seed bank". In general, you should learn
>> something about botany. And what you believe about the teeth of
>> dinosaurs is not supported by anything that I know of and, I strongly
>> suspect, not anything that you know of.
>
>         I don't need evidence that at poles you would have, both,
> plants and animals adapted to better scoop sunlight.
>         I know the difference between C3 and C4 pathways, but I don't
> see your point.
>         About the teeth I heard, in one documentary, a long time ago.
> And, it looks logical. Those teeth look like they are for stripping
> ferns, those dinosaurs ate ferns, so, I would presume that they are
> adapted to eat it. I see no problem in this, whichever way you put it.
>         Regarding "a couple of years", here it is a scenario for "many
> years", and it involves what you just said. Yes, dinosaurs were pretty
> damaged by the event. All the dinosaurs, all the birds, all other
> animals, all plants, everybody. The question is why some dinosaurs
> actually went extinct.
>         The answer is in trees. Narrow canopy trees didn't grow
> anymore? Why? Well, ferns deprived them from sunlight. In normal
> conditions those ferns were eaten by dinosaurs. But now, dinosaurs were
> very damaged, not a lot of dinosaurs left. So, not a lot of narrow
> canopy trees grew among all those uneaten ferns. But, some other types
> of trees were better adapted to the conditions, so those types of trees
> started to grow. And those types overwhelmed ferns.
>         I'll take a look at what happens after fern spike in real
> world, what kind of plants grow in such a situation, and why.

C4 plants are the ones adapted to high temperature, high insolation
environments, and they're the plants that are most efficient at
photosynthesis in such environments. Needless to say, they aren't found
at the poles.

I will have to agree that if you heard something in a documentary some
time long ago it must be true and is decisive confirmation for your theory.

Then again, your theory is hopelessly confused. The dinosaurs kept the
ferns down? The ferns kept the angiosperms from growing? The angiosperms
killed ferns and that killed the dinosaurs? What?

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Re: The change in forest extincted dinosaurs.

By: nyik...@gmail.com on Wed, 28 Apr 2021

25nyik...@gmail.com