https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3039&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3039

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 08:00:28 -0700 (PDT)
References: <f37c972d-1af3-42c9-92a8-70a58dd12d5an@googlegroups.com> <Rbidnfv557o7oy_9nZ2dnUU7-TPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <fd448d2e-94d6-44c4-89ee-7d1395da5a45n@googlegroups.com> <9aCdnQRmPZbQ6yv9nZ2dnUU7-XmdnZ2d@giganews.com> <76e5254a-4b54-4d1b-b967-bfac16b3a89fn@googlegroups.com> <2bb903e2-da45-4a69-9593-c195286bf508n@googlegroups.com> <d2d16b86-f14f-4321-acd0-761f3ad364e8n@googlegroups.com> <ce31f8ad-05ad-4f97-8dba-25d0ba8f6178n@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Billion year old fossils of an exciting new sort
From: nyiko...@gmail.com (nyik...@gmail.com)
 by: nyik...@gmail.com - Tue, 8 Jun 2021 15:00 UTC

On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 7:13:58 PM UTC-4, erik simpson wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 3:01:16 PM UTC-7, Peter Nyikos wrote:

> > > Here's the most recent comprehensive review of Cyanobacteria fossils:
> > >
> > > https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0891584918324845?via%3Dihub
> > Cyanobacteria evolution: Insight from the fossil record
> > Catherine F.Demoulin, Yannick J.Lara, Luc Cornet, CamilleFrançois, DenisBaurain, AnnickWilmotte, Emmanuelle J.Javaux,
> > Free Radical Biology and Medicine Volume 140, 20 August 2019, Pages 206-223
> >
> > Thank you very much, Erik. It does look like a very valuable resource on the subject.
> > > Chemical remains are important information, but peptidoglycan (mentioned in the review) isn't discussed as
> > > present in the fossils (no surprise there).
> > >
> > > I haven't read all of it yet, but I intend to. Considerable info is new to me.
> > For me too. A quick skim fails to provide answers to the two questions that interest me most at the present time:
> > (1) are cyanobacteria fossils from a billion or more years ago exclusively from stromatolites and
> > (2) are they all thick-walled?
> >

> > I'll be looking at it off and on for about a week before posting on it. Mostly off: for the better part
> > of this past academic year, my family has had to ration their time with me due to the tremendous burden
> > of online teaching -- almost three times as time-consuming as in-person teaching. I've decided to give
> > them some real quality and quantity time, so I'm going on a posting break until next Tuesday.
> >
> > Meanwhile, here's something y'all might think about: how rare is it to have fossils of any organisms which,
> > like *Bicellum* *brasieri,* are from a billion or more years ago and are NOT from stromatolites?
> >

> I believe most of the cyanobacterial fossils are derived from stromatolites, but some are found in other
> "microbially induced sedimentary structures (MISS)".
>
> Unsheathed cyanobacteria are known in the fossil record, but the majority of fossils are thick-walled, probably
> due to tophonomy favoring the thick-walled specimens.

There is also what might be called "identification bias": there are lots of different microorganisms in
stromatolites, but the article you showed us judges whether a microorganism is a cyanobacterium
based on its resemblance to extant cyanobacteria.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0891584918324845?via%3Dihub

Its criteria are sufficiently stringent so that "only three taxa are unambiguously identified as cyanobacteria." [p. 209] Earlier on that page we see:

"In this section, we discuss a selection of (1) unambiguous cyanobacteria microfossils for which morphological features and habitats coincide strikingly with modern lineages, (2) probable and possible cyanobacteria microfossils that share morphological similarities both with a taxon belonging to the cyanobacterial phylum and with other lineages belonging to another phylum or domain of life. The limited number of preservable characters, along with their taphonomic alteration, and possible morphological convergence, limits the interpretation of the fossil record."

Criteria like these can also be responsible for putting the "first known cyanobacterium" a billion or
more years later than the first photosynthetic autotroph on a direct line to the "first known." This
autotroph might well qualify as a "cyanobacterium" if we knew it as intimately as we know extant ones.

There is plenty of evidence, in the form of stromatolites and banded iron formations, of the action of
photosynthetic autotrophs, going to maybe as billion years before the Great Oxidation Event (GOE).
This article places the beginning of the GOE at 2.4 Ga, which itself is half a billion years before
the "unambiguous" 1.9 Ga. for "the first known..."

The 2.4 Ga dating seems to be "settled science":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Oxidation_Event

Peter Nyikos
Professor, Dept. of Mathematics -- standard disclaimer--
U. of South Carolina at Columbia
http://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Billion year old fossils of an exciting new sort

By: Peter Nyikos on Sat, 29 May 2021

17Peter Nyikos