Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 17:08:55 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Dickinsonia is very likely an animal
From: eastside...@gmail.com (erik simpson)
 by: erik simpson - Tue, 15 Jun 2021 00:08 UTC

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 2:53:45 PM UTC-7, Glenn wrote:
> On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 11:31:03 AM UTC-7, Peter Nyikos wrote:

> > It belongs in talk.origins because the main emphasis there is political rather than scientific.
> > The "on topic" focus is on discrediting individuals, e.g. creationists, as opposed to refuting arguments
> > or discussing on topic issues on which there is significant disagreement.
> > > Why doesn't it belong here?
> > Because s.b.p. is a science newsgroup, and unscientific dismissals of material
> > containing scientific data (of which there is plenty in the article on Dickinsonia linked above)
> > are counterproductive to progress in understanding the science being discussed here.
> >
> in the two weeks since Eric posted the OP, there has been zero discussion of the science behind this attempt to place animals evolving millions of years before the Cambrian Explosion. A google search will find hundreds of claims, many in the titles, that Dickinsonia has been proven to be an animal.. Wiki describes it as a "basal" animal.
>
> Yet, for instance,
>
> '‘We’re not saying it wasn’t sponges or it wasn’t protists [non-animal organisms that also produce small amounts of C30 steranes]3, we just say we have to be agnostic in this regard,’ says Hallmann." "‘We think that the safest thing to do right now is to indeed not use molecular fossils anymore as a collaboration point for earliest animals, but to revert back to the earliest [body] fossils."
>
> https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/steroid-fossilisation-discovery-opens-new-chapter-in-debate-around-oldest-animal/4012869.article
>
> As I said earlier, no one in this thread has directed their attention and discussion to what I said in my first post, and as another impetus now this:
>
> "But now, two research teams have discovered that C30 steranes might not be of animal origin but might come from ancient algae, with the compounds’ unusual substitution pattern byproducts of geological alteration."
>
> (From the previous url)
>
> I think for now that Bechly's article is a fair and balanced skepticism of the loud voices cheering for the early origin of animals.
>
> But even that article was thrown out by default by the "conversers" of science here.

The point of the first reference in the OP (Bobrovskiy et al) is the differential chemistry seen in on- and off-fossil samples, NOT
simply detection of steranes. As for the "cheering", it may matter to you if Dickinsonia is an animal, but I have no emotional
investment. A conculsive determination of its affinities would be equally ineresting either way.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Re: Dickinsonia is very likely an animal

By: Peter Nyikos on Sat, 12 Jun 2021

61Peter Nyikos