From: mario.pe...@zg.htnet.hr (Mario Petrinovic)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Subject: Re: Humans can do math, hence, humans are intelligent animals
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 01:14:08 +0200
 by: Mario Petrinovic - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 23:14 UTC

On 18.8.2021. 0:47, John Harshman wrote:
> On 8/17/21 3:44 PM, Mario Petrinovic wrote:

>>> Wrong. To carry cargo beyond a certain low limit, one needs licensure.
>>> This could then be a test question like so many other test questions
>>> that ostensibly study intelligence, yet require specialized
>>> knowledge, such as a vocabulary beyond
>>> what the ordinary person knows. Here is one question from an
>>> intelligence test that shows this:
>>>
>>> ocean : littoral : : river : _________________
>>>
>>> Can you answer it? I assure you, the word is only part of the
>>> vocabulary of
>>> maybe 1% of Americans, mostly those who have studied law or geography
>>> on an advanced level.
>>
>>          Creek? :) . Maybe, stream. Pond shouldn't be. Spring isn't
>> there, yet. In Croatian it should be "potok".
>>          No, this (the original question) isn't a "trick" question,
>> the question is for kids, the "license" thing is out of the scoop.
>
> I believe the word Peter is looking for is "riparian". Not clear what
> anything in this post or thread has to do with paleontology.

Ah yes, I was wandering why there are two colons. I am not very
familiar with those terms, anyway. Here (in Croatia) we make a
distinction between "ocean" and "sea". We live far from ocean, for us
"ocean" is just an imaginary term. On the other hand, "littoral" we are
familiar with, and it means exactly what it say if you type it in Google:
https://www.google.com/search?q=littoral&oq=littoral&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j0i67j0i512l8.6830j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
So, in my mind it goes ocean => sea => river => creek => spring. Ocean
is bigger than sea and sea has "littoral" area, :) . Of course, I
assumed that two colons are a typo, or whatever.
Regarding what anything in this post has to do with paleontology, it
has, trust me. You see, I even typed the word "Evolution" (more than
once, :) ).

--
https://groups.google.com/g/human-evolution
human-evolution@googlegroups.com

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Humans can do math, hence, humans are intelligent animals

By: Mario Petrinovic on Wed, 7 Jul 2021

67Mario Petrinovic