Subject: Re: Humans can do math, hence, humans are intelligent animals
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
<sfhe3v$q18$1@sunce.iskon.hr> <9cmdnc-veqUFoYH8nZ2dnUU7-bGdnZ2d@giganews.com>
<6b35ea8f-e467-4574-87e3-bc51379aaf44n@googlegroups.com>
<fsadnaOSteVT64H8nZ2dnUU7-VHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<4009f856-5d61-489c-aa88-e07c07b57310n@googlegroups.com>
From: jharsh...@pacbell.net (John Harshman)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 15:56:07 -0700
 by: John Harshman - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 22:56 UTC

On 8/18/21 4:43 AM, Peter Nyikos wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 17, 2021 at 10:56:20 PM UTC-4, John Harshman wrote:

>>> How could you miss the hints that I was NOT "looking for" the word
>>> but had it well in mind? Didn't my putting "law" in addition to
>>> "geography" tip you off?
>
>> You are misunderstanding what I said.
>
> Wrong. YOU are misunderstanding what you said.

You misunderstand simple English expressions and idioms. "The answer I'm
looking for" is easily and commonly understood as implying that I know
the answer and are hoping you can also produce it. Perhaps
mathematicians have difficulties with idioms?

> > By "looking for" I meant "asking
>> you for". No implication that you didn't know the word, and in fact the
>> implication was that you did.
>
> Wrong again. If that was your intent, you should have said,
> "I believe the word Peter has in mind is "riparian."
>
> But over a decade of putting the worst spin that you can
> think of [1] on thousands of things I say or do has probably clouded
> your mind to where you often don't realize that what you are saying is bullshit.
>
> And that's why I wrote "should" instead of "would" where I fixed your sentence for you.
>
> [1] A very notable exception was the oasis of civilization you agreed to
> in sci.bio.paleontology between June (or was it April? I'll have to check when I have more time)
> 1995 and early 1998. But you kept up that denigration full blast on talk.origins the
> whole time.
>
>>> Oh, well, no harm done. Mario has already made his guesses,
>>> and they are a lot further off than mine when I first saw the
>>> question about four decades ago: I had guessed "fluvial." But then somewhere, sometime,
>>> I have no recollection when or where -- I chanced across the word "riparian" and knew
>>> it was the best fit.
>
>> Mario isn't even playing the game, because he didn't know that it was an
>> analogy question.
>
> Yes, I should have also spelled it out for him: "ocean is to littoral as river is to __________"
> But I mistakenly assumed that the notation was familiar to him.
>
> I did not make that kind of mistake when I told him about the Unique Factorization Theorem
> of integers. I very carefully removed all possible ambiguity from it, and wrote "whole number"
> instead of "integer".
>
> But hey, if you had really wanted to help him, you should have told him it was an
> analogy question instead spoiling the riddle for him.

I don't think he knew the word either, so no spoiler.

>>> Well, I became convinced that you had totally lost interest in Dickinsonia,
>>> having posted such nonsense as not knowing how to look for pictures, of
>>> all things, of specimens to see if some light could be shed on what looked like
>>> budding. YOU, who in times past used the stock phrase regularly, "Google is your friend."
>>>
>>> I had no trouble finding more pictures of somewhat similar looking structures,
>>> including in a peer-reviewed article which specifically mentioned them.
>
>> So you can't bother to cite that article? Why? Are you uninterested in
>> paleontology?
>
> There you go again, putting the worst possible spin on what I wrote.
> You just can't break yourself of the habit.

I assume the irony escapes you. I suspect you have no idea what I meant
by "the irony" too.

> I wouldn't have said what I did if you hadn't shown a total lack of interest
> in what I wrote in talk.origins about the spectacular master gene in *Anabaena* the
> first time around, only to misrepresent what I had written the second time around.

What's so spectacular about it?

>>> But it did not hypothesize about their nature, so what minuscule interest the
>>> preceding sentence might have sparked in you is probably dead as cold ashes.
>>>

>>> But all this is just a prelude to something you may have already noticed:
>>> Beagle seems to be down again. The last post on record there was at 1:46 pm.
>>> So the usual hospitality rule that I've promoted for years, of s.b.p. becoming
>>> a talk.origins-in-exile haven as long as Beagle is down, applies.
>>> And, as you know, almost anything under the sun can be talked about there, and often is.
>>>
>>> The only reason I said what I did above [and, believe me, I could really have given
>>> you an earful, but I decided to pull my punches for the sake of hospitality] was to
>>> let you know why I turned to Mario instead of you or your buddies.
>>>
>>> Mario and I get along well, and our numerous disagreements are all friendly,
>>> and only serve to spice up the conversation. And the topic interested both of us.
>>>
>>> 'nuff said?
>
>> Way more than enough. Notice that you take offense when there is no
>> offense offered. Try dialing it back.
>
> Notice that you cast aspersions on my sanity when I caught you red-handed
> in a lie on a talk.origins thread,

No, you supposed you had caught me in a lie, in which you were wrong.
The crazy part was the obsessive, Queeg-like rant.

> following the lead of the perennial "you need to show
> what you wrote to your psychiatrist" Mark Isaak, and supported
> by Hemidactylus to the hilt, with all three of you gossiping about me in a
> typical Internet Hellion Thread Diluting Kaffeeklatsch.
>
> You are a fine one to talk about dialing back. It is only because Mario doesn't
> care for personal fighting that I'm not documenting what I wrote just now.

If that's the only reason, that's a problem too.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Humans can do math, hence, humans are intelligent animals

By: Mario Petrinovic on Wed, 7 Jul 2021

67Mario Petrinovic