Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 09:22:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Humans can do math, hence, humans are intelligent animals
From: peter2ny...@gmail.com (Peter Nyikos)
 by: Peter Nyikos - Tue, 24 Aug 2021 16:22 UTC

On Thursday, August 19, 2021 at 6:28:59 PM UTC-4, Mario Petrinovic wrote:
> On 19.8.2021. 19:31, Peter Nyikos wrote:

> >> In tune with my view on intelligence, I am looking at it from the
> >> Evolution point of view. Just like physical abilities, I am claiming
> >> that different races have different mental abilities, depending on the
> >> conditions they evolved in. Of course, a lot of those mental abilities
> >> aren't measurable at all.
> >
> > Quite true. Why not try posting this on sci.anthropology.paleo?
> > It looks to be even more on-topic there than here.

> I, very probably, did, sometime in the past. I have enough of posting
> always the same things. I posted it here because we are discussing this.

I'm glad you did, because you wrote what I've never seen anyone write
before: a straightforward acknowledgement that races have different abilities
without trying to say one ability is better than another.

The American Ambassador to the UN under Jimmy Carter, Andrew Young, said almost what you did,
but went on to make a fool of himself (IMO) by labeling anyone who did NOT
make some such distinction between races as a "racist".

Andrew Young was African-American, by the way.

> >> I'll turn 60 in two months. Of course, a lot depends on your physical
> >> abilities. I don't move out of my room *at all* (I am retired, :) ),
> >> during my whole life I was sitting whole day long (being a train driver,
> >> but I did hike a lot for one period on my life),
> >
> > It's no too late to return to that state. Work up to it a little bit at a time.
> > I haven't run a kilometer in over a decade, but I've been slowly increasing
> > my stamina these last three months with daily walks and 4 shorter runs some mornings that add
> > up to over a kilometer and are interspersed with 2-minute walks.
> >
> > When the cooler weather arrives, I expect to be routinely doing 1-kilometer runs.
> > For you, it might take a year to get up to that level, but it will be worth it.
> > When I got a nuclear stress test last month, all my arteries showed
> > completely normal. I don't know whether that would have been the case if I had had it before regular workouts.

> My goal in life is to accommodate my needs, my feeling. I don't feel
> like running around, I feel like sitting in front of computer.

Back when you were growing up, a great deal of stress was laid on spontaneity,
on "going with your feelings." But that declined in the eighties, because spontaneity all
too often results in acting on impulses which one comes to regret. Sometimes the
regret comes the same day, as one reflects on some impulsive retort one made,
with the conclusion, "I wish I hadn't said that."

> You are suggesting me that I should run,

Not necessarily. Just walking a little further each day can bring you back
to the point where you can take long hikes again. I wasn't trying to suggest
that you try to do running as well; I hope I made that cle>ar.

> so that I feel better when
> sitting in front of computer, and so that I can live longer, so that I
> can longer sit in front of computer?

You've got it: your time at the computer is longer in the long run,
and what's more, you'll have lots more experiences to make it possible to show
greater wisdom in what you post.

> Good idea, but I never go after some imaginary goals, I always
> accommodate my current needs, ;)

I hope you know what those are. One thing is sure: you should have a thorough checkup if you are like my father.
Shortly after he turned 65, he found himself getting more and more easily out of breath, and
the diagnosis was that he was in need of a triple cardiac bypass.
But he also had phlebitis, so the bypass was delayed for a month,
and he suffered a heart attack. Fortunately, he survived for almost two decades longer,
but only because he did have that triple bypass.

What you said earlier does sound like it could be serious:

> > > and things like that.
> >> After making a short walk, I am so tired that I usually fell to sleep, lol.
> >> I like it that way never the less. My idea is that people aren't made
> >> for physical endeavor.

Continued in next post, a few minutes from now, and picking up where I left off here.

Peter Nyikos

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Humans can do math, hence, humans are intelligent animals

By: Mario Petrinovic on Wed, 7 Jul 2021

67Mario Petrinovic