Being overloaded is the sign of a true Debian maintainer. -- JHM on #Debian

tech / sci.bio.paleontology / Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from Uzbekistan

Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from Uzbekistan

<CsOdnSfPRoUssNz8nZ2dnUU7-Q_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3425&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3425

Subject: Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from Uzbekistan
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
<cfcf6e91-8c92-4a63-bb9e-52cf38548402n@googlegroups.com>
<M5mdnU43r-c8XN38nZ2dnUU7-QnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<407cf168-4efa-4248-883f-9173e76e1de0n@googlegroups.com>
From: jharsh...@pacbell.net (John Harshman)
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 16:18:08 -0700
 by: John Harshman - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 23:18 UTC

On 9/14/21 3:36 PM, Peter Nyikos wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 11:37:11 AM UTC-4, John Harshman wrote:

>>> It looks like a no-brainer: count the steps, like you said. It's plain to see in which direction
>>> the characters changed.
>
>> Yes, you could definitely code that as an ordered character. There are
>> potential complications that I won't go into.

>>> Isn't it obvious? absence of feathers in fossil after fossil of the same species
>>> could mean actual loss of feathers.
>

>> How would you distinguish loss of feathers from non-preservation?
>
> It's not a certainty, but a hypothesis. As more and more good fossils
> accumulate, the hypothesis is supported. You know, ye olde "scientific method".

I don't think that works. You have to take taphonomy into account. The
conditions for the preservation of feathers or skin are extremely rare,
and you can't just count up fossils with or without them.

>> Usually we infer loss (when coding characters) only when there is
>> preserved skin. And even there it tends to be a patch here and a patch
>> there, so you don't know if there were feathers on some other part of
>> the body.
>
> So you seem to want certainty here, but not in telling whether X is a sister group of Y.

No. I'm saying that absence of evidence (of feathers) is not evidence of
absence.

> For example, there was a revolutionary pair of papers which upset the {theropod, sauropod, ornithischian}
> sister group relationship.
>
> Baron et al. 2017, "A new hypothesis of dinosaur relationships and early dinosaur evolution",
> https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/A-new-hypothesis-of-dinosaur-relationships-and-Baron-Norman/f03f6a706a883b18303e61b4cca6a56d942bf637
>
> Langer et al. 2017, "Untangling the dinosaur family tree":
> https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Untangling-the-dinosaur-family-tree-Langer-Ezcurra/8c8ff01b0526f76d1a98c88c01d1978c9de75614
>
> A couple of years ago, you said that these papers had been superseded and we are
> back to the traditional division. But I don't recall what evidence you provided.
> Can you cite a paper or two that put this Ornithoscelida hypothesis to rest, in your opinion?

I'm not sure it's put to rest. It's still a matter of contention,
though. Several dinosaur paleontologists criticized the original paper,
if I recall. In fact, you will note that the second paper you reference
finds the traditional topology, not the Ornithoscelida topology.

> Temporarily, at least. I expect you to think that a stake has been driven through
> its heart, but I would like to see the opinion of some well known authority.

I would hope that data analysis would be a better guide than authority.

>>> That's why I think it is a good idea to include feathers
>>> [in the broad sense that seems to be the consensus these days]
>>> in a phylogenetic analysis in which the taxa have enough preserved
>>> of the places where one might expect feathers to have been attached in real life.
>>
>>> Really, what's the harm in doing that?
>
>> No harm if you code most taxa as missing data. Just no benefit either.
>
> Except that you might discover that there is no correlation between having
> hairlike growths optimistically called "protofeathers" and having feathers
> with barbs and barbules. Then the whole "feathered dinosaur" hypothesis could
> be split in two: dinofuzz and feathers.

What exactly do you mean by that? There could only be a correlation if
you scored them as separate characters. But why would you expect a given
fossil to have both, if one evolved from the other? I'm not sure you
have thought this through.

> [Trivia: General Winfield Scott, Mexican War hero, was called "Old Fuss and Feathers."]

>>> Explaining the difference between "maximal" and "maximum = above everything else"
>
>> Still have no idea what you mean.
>
> Oh, really? you are still unable to comprehend the difference, are you?

I still don't know, based on your example, what the difference it. The
tips of the trees are indeed above everything else.

> >What does this have to do with
>> parsimonious trees?
>
> We could rank them in a nonlinear order, "X is more parsimonious than Y", and
> then have a bunch of maximal trees. The benefit might be that some maximal
> ones may be found to be parsimonious for weightier reasons than some others.

Still no idea what you're saying. What does "maximal" mean here? If it
means "most parsimonious", just use that word. The most parsimonious
trees are those that require the least number of steps to explain the
data. In the current study, there are 6320 different trees, all of the
same length, that have the least number of steps.

I'm not sure you mean the same thing by "parsimonious" as I do, or what
that has to do with "maximal".

>>> It has everything to do with phylogenetic classification, which is based on
>>> the prohibition against putting taxa at the nodes of phylogenetic trees.
>
>> So nothing to do with phylogenetics, then.
>
> Now you know why I make a distinction between cladistics and cladistic
> classification,

Everyone makes that distinction, not just you. But I don't understand
your reason, though it seems to have something to do with not liking
cladistic classification. This is all irrelevant to what we were discussing.

> and don't allow luster to get transferred from one to the other.
> The classification adds no information to that obtainable from the phylogenetic tree
> that is the basis for it in the first place. And most people have a much
> easier time understanding the trees one sees on the internet than the classifications.

All true. But what does this have to do with what we were talking about?
Is this you wandering off down a rabbit hole?

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o A new shark-toothed theropod from Uzbekistan

By: Peter Nyikos on Sat, 11 Sep 2021

44Peter Nyikos