Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 23:22:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Bird Origins: Dogmatism and Skepticism
From: GlennShe...@msn.com (Glenn)
 by: Glenn - Thu, 23 Sep 2021 06:22 UTC

On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 10:19:50 PM UTC-7, erik simpson wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 7:33:25 PM UTC-7, Peter Nyikos wrote:

> > Erik, I suppose the following one-liner of yours could come under the "Dogmatism" rubric. :)
> > > Haven't we seen this movie before?
> > Never. Nothing at all like it. Have you ever seen Harshman's main group about which Feduccia
> > was allegedly saying inconsistent things evolved like this in the space of ONE WEEK?
> >
> > Dromaeosauridae ------> Coelurosauria -----> Maniraptora -----> Deinonychus
> >
> > You really need to get skeptical about your memory, Erik.
> >
> > To save readers trouble: Maniraptora is a subclade of Coelurosauria, while Dromaeosauridae is a subclade of Maniraptora, and Deinonychus is a genus in Dromaeosauridae. Apparently "deinonychids" is a synonym
> > for that one iconic genus, the sickle-clawed Deinonychus.
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dromaeosauridae
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coelurosauria
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maniraptora
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinonychus
> >
> > And, to save y'all even more trouble, what Harshman wrote a week ago, on that
> > other thread, was:
> >
> > "If you want specifics, the one I remember best is that in the middle of the article he went from claiming that dromaeosaurs couldn't possibly be related to birds to claiming that they couldn't possibly be dinosaurs."
> >
> > If that's what Harshman remembers best, I'd hate to think what he remembers worst. :-) :-(
> > Peter Nyikos
> > Professor, Dept. of Mathematics
> > Univ. of South Carolina -- standard disclaimer--
> > http://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos
> I confessI haven't been following this exchange closely. I have a general interest in avian phylogeny,
> althoug it isn't at the top of my list. But this isn't about avain phylogeny. What Feduccia thought about it,
> what, a decade ago?, wasn't very relevant then and is much less so now. If that isn't the topic,
> and you're more concerned with Harshman's account of Feduccia's thought, that has nothing to do
> with avian phylogeny, and I have zero interest. THe "movie" I spoke of referred to
> your presentation as Feducccia's bulldog. No interest there, either. I apologize if I distracted you
> from your purpose. Carry on.

https://academic.oup.com/sysbio/article/68/5/840/5315532?login=true

https://benthamopen.com/ABSTRACT/TOOENIJ-11-27

https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=lt78DwAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PR9&dq=feduccia+avian+fossils&ots=UDFTWI7r8g&sig=3YSHoe721uinrS5mhoO48U4lOLQ#v=onepage&q=feduccia%20avian%20fossils&f=false

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Bird Origins: Dogmatism and Skepticism

By: Peter Nyikos on Tue, 21 Sep 2021

53Peter Nyikos