Maybe Computer Science should be in the College of Theology. -- R. S. Barton

tech / sci.bio.paleontology / Re: Bird Origins: Dogmatism and Skepticism

Re: Bird Origins: Dogmatism and Skepticism

<r8KdnU9UbuDSqdP8nZ2dnUU7-X-dnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3550&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3550

Subject: Re: Bird Origins: Dogmatism and Skepticism
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
<9s-dnewJQOIOdNH8nZ2dnUU7-bnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<94502275-70ae-4756-900b-baba15a08216n@googlegroups.com>
<CcmdnUVFR4_xgtD8nZ2dnUU7-cXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<0677eb83-1d6f-47a4-ab48-74d6a558de20n@googlegroups.com>
From: jharsh...@pacbell.net (John Harshman)
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 13:25:51 -0700
 by: John Harshman - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 20:25 UTC

On 9/24/21 12:04 PM, Peter Nyikos wrote:
> On Thursday, September 23, 2021 at 8:44:33 PM UTC-4, John Harshman wrote:

>>> This post is focused on an on-topic issue of phylogeny, for which the above provides context.

> What I had earlier wanted to know whether "deinonychids" [see above]
> was a synonym for *Deinonychus*. Note the lack of the -idae ending which would have
> made such a question sound naive.

>>> Both have a branch tip labeled "Deinonychus," and both have one in a very different
>>> place labeled "Utahraptor." Scroll down to the bottom of the web page.
>
>> Not sure what your point is here.
>
> The point was further down in this same post. Once you saw it, it should
> have become obvious that the following comment completely missed the point:
>
>> Unless you have a definition for
>> Deinonychidae you can't say whether that very different place is within
>> it or not.
>
> You always seem to be in a hurry, preventing you from scrolling up and deleting inappropriate comments.
> Why? do you have a job that is more consuming than mine as a full-time Professor?

Simple explanation: the comments weren't inappropriate.

>>> Really, now, how could anything be clearer than this?
>
>> You imagine clarity, but the clarity is the result of your confusion
>> about the issue.
>
> There was no confusion, as you should have seen if you had
> bothered to read to the end before typing this.
> My comment was a tad premature, that's all.

>>> Illogically rejecting it: take a look at the two trees and ponder the implications of what you see there
>>> for your next comment. My questions below should help you.
>
>> Sure, though I'm not optimistic.

>>> Did it swallow up the subfamily Dromaesaurinae, as the first tree shows it would do?
>>>
>>> Did it swallow up both Dromaesaurinae and Velociraptorinae, as the second tree shows it would do?
>>>
>>> If you combine the swallowing-ups, the trees will have it include all of Eudromaeosauria,
>>> and the genus Tsaagan. Is this really what you meant by "some of its close relatives"?
>
>> I can't answer the question. I don't know the proposed definition of
>> Deinonychidae. The only thing I could find out about it quickly was that
>> Utahraptor was another proposed member.
>
> "quickly" again suggests that something is making you do things in a big hurry.
> What is it?

Another question based on a false assumption. No point in answering.

>> And of course the name may have
>> assumed a different tree from either of the ones shown.
>
> Do you know anyone who could help you find out? Or is it just that you
> can't be bothered to find out more?

The latter.

> Anyway, you seem to have answered a question that I was hoping Erik
> would ask you, since you ducked it when I asked you: Do you know whether
> either tree has been superseded by some new analysis?
>
> And the answer is, you don't. One tree goes back to 2015, one to 2017.
> And that's a problem, given the big discrepancies.

>>> Remainder deleted, lest it distract you from the above questions.
>
>> This is a trivial point having nothing to do with phylogeny.
>
> That's because you missed the real point I was building up to, but
> it should have been obvious from the big discrepancies.

You really have to start actually saying what you mean rather than
dropping little hints, assuming you want anyone to understand you.

> It is very much a problem of phylogeny to ascertain which, if either of these
> trees, is the "true to the best of our data" tree. If you can't see that even now,
> then I have to wonder how seriously you have thought about the trees that
> challenge the conventional "wisdom" that dromeosaurs [as in "Eudromaeosauria"]
> are not secondarily flightless birds.

I had no idea you were interested in the differences between the trees.
You never said so until just now. So far, this has all been about
whether Deinonychidae should include Utahraptor. Now, if you have any
questions about the phylogenies, I suggest you consult the papers from
which the trees were taken, look at their data matrices, and try to
determine what caused the differences.

> <snip nasty, irrelevant, insincere personal remark by yourself>

You accuse me of being insincere? On what basis?

> If you claim to be innocent of these charges, expect a thorough, many-faceted rebuttal.

What charges? I can't claim innocence unless I see some actual charges.
I certainly have no interest in your thorough, many-faceted rebuttal.

You are very confused about many things, among them whether trees can
tell you whether a given group is secondarily flightless. Again I
mention Greg Paul, who places the origin of flight deep in the theropod
tree without altering the topology of that tree from the usual one.
Whether birds are theropods is a completely separate question from
whether various maniraptorans are secondarily flightless or whether
flight happened from the ground up or trees down or a host of other
possible questions.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Bird Origins: Dogmatism and Skepticism

By: Peter Nyikos on Tue, 21 Sep 2021

53Peter Nyikos