Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 10:08:33 -0700 (PDT)
<9s-dnewJQOIOdNH8nZ2dnUU7-bnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <94502275-70ae-4756-900b-baba15a08216n@googlegroups.com>
<CcmdnUVFR4_xgtD8nZ2dnUU7-cXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <0677eb83-1d6f-47a4-ab48-74d6a558de20n@googlegroups.com>
<8f25c9c2-d46b-465c-a206-0c53eb5af6d8n@googlegroups.com> <63672806-b600-4593-b2c9-3a358d89b835n@googlegroups.com>
<489c2c99-5582-465c-ace1-c414b96c4734n@googlegroups.com> <8740b2da-2f18-4627-a495-fb5669e5c8f6n@googlegroups.com>
<31f5ce60-c878-43d9-a928-75a7040c803an@googlegroups.com> <b533bc33-f9cc-4ee7-b811-a5ff9e987291n@googlegroups.com>
<48814047-bad1-4c9d-acff-6d733bd1ac49n@googlegroups.com> <ec6e444b-11a1-40a7-8ff5-68f3d7e1c817n@googlegroups.com>
<ruednXGl4aEMBPz8nZ2dnUU7-U_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <047961fa-a9cc-4ed4-a4f4-fd22fa445c75n@googlegroups.com>
<_8mdnRhSZpRfmv_8nZ2dnUU7-SvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <b6ad0a08-49d3-4c7a-84a8-e841578989c9n@googlegroups.com>
<TZOdndSpnJq13P_8nZ2dnUU7-TWdnZ2d@giganews.com> <0642be8e-d3ed-4b5a-830d-32d2c14df7ddn@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Bird Origins: Dogmatism and Skepticism
From: eastside...@gmail.com (erik simpson)
 by: erik simpson - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 17:08 UTC

On Sunday, October 10, 2021 at 9:37:21 AM UTC-7, daud....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, October 9, 2021 at 9:26:05 PM UTC-4, John Harshman wrote:

> > > https://www.birdsoutsidemywindow.org/2010/07/09/anatomy-how-birds-drink/
> > > Doves & pigeons can drink with beak lowered. Nectarivores can too. Sandgrouse lift but do not tilt back their heads while drinking.
> > > Do all long-necked avians (eg. waterfowl, ostriches) lift water above the surface to drink?
> > > Did all long-necked dinosaurs lift water and tilt head before drinking?
> > What do you mean by "long-necked"? Almost all birds do it. We don't know
> > about the behavior of extinct species.
> > > No, it's not a paleognath ancestor either;
> > >
> > > I don't know the latest proper technical name that includes all modern avians. But I meant to compare all living birds to the long-necked bipedal dinosaur.with the prominent chin.
> I meant 'a chin prominence'.
> > The term is either Neornithes or Aves, depending on who's talking.
> > > There is no room for this theropod jaw to be
> > >
> > > The jury is still out on that claim, imo.
> > Your opinion, I'm afraid, is not informed.
> I don't think this one is either, despite the name: eagle-nosed shovel-chinned duck-billed dinosaur, found where I went on a Rio Grande river expedition in '79.
> https://www.livescience.com/65937-shovel-chinned-dinosaur.html aquilarhinus palimentum
>
> Dilophosaurus had a chin but not a (human-like) mental protuberance: "The dentary bone (the front part of the mandible where most of the teeth there were attached) had an up-curved rather than pointed chin. The chin had a large foramen at the tip, and a row of small foramina ran in rough parallel with the upper edge of the dentary". https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilophosaurus
>
> Dinosaurs don't seem to have had chins comparable to elephants, some hylobatids & humans.

Most if not all dinosaurs (including birds) didn't and don't closely resemble elephants, hylobatids or humans.
What are you trying to get at? Given the length of time separating "us" (synapsids) from "them" (diapsids) it
might be more surprising that they resemble us as much as they do. At least one now-departed eccentric saw
deep connections between ankylosaurs and armadillos.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Bird Origins: Dogmatism and Skepticism

By: Peter Nyikos on Tue, 21 Sep 2021

53Peter Nyikos