Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 20:02:02 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: An 18-foot-long sea monster ruled the ancient ocean that once covered Kansas
From: eastside...@gmail.com (erik simpson)
 by: erik simpson - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 04:02 UTC

On Friday, December 3, 2021 at 5:25:51 PM UTC-8, Peter Nyikos wrote:
> Welcome to sci.bio.paleontology, Leroy! I'm glad I noticed you before
> some other regulars did: I'll explain that below.
>
> I'm almost always glad to see new participants who are interested in paleontology.
> But the "Soetoro" part of your moniker gives me pause: are you a regular from talk.origins
> posting under a new pseudonym that he hasn't used there?
>
> Be that as it may, let me explain why I like to welcome newcomers.
> When I first posted here in the 1990's, it was quite an active group
> with a good number of regulars, a few of whom
> were professional paleontologists.
>
> But when I returned 11 years ago after almost a decade of absence,
> I was shocked to see that the group was on the verge of extinction.
> Thanks to some strenuous efforts by myself and a few others,
> it has recovered to the extent that I would only call it "vulnerable".
> There is even one person, "Pandora," who joined a few years later,
> who I'm sure is a professional, but doesn't give out any information about her identity.
> On Thursday, December 2, 2021 at 1:58:08 PM UTC-5, Leroy N. Soetoro wrote:
> > About 80 million years ago, when dinosaurs walked the Earth, an 18-foot-
> > long (5 meters) sea monster called a mosasaur cruised the ancient ocean
> > that once covered western Kansas, snagging prey with its slender, tooth-
> > lined snout.
> This brought back memories of my first experience, earlier this year,
> of fossil digs out west. There was a conference in Casper, Wyoming,
> at a fine museum, with lots of good speakers, most of them quite young,
> about the marine reptiles that swarmed in those seas. It covered both
> Jurassic and Cretaceous kinds.
>
> Our first expedition was to a Jurassic site, and I found some nice minerals
> but no fossils. Other members were luckier, including one group that found
> a long ichtyosaur lower jaw; too long to unearth that day, but marked
> for careful removal and taking to the museum to enrich its collection.
> > Paleontologists discovered the fossil of this beast in the 1970s, but they
> > had difficulty classifying it, so it ended up stored with other mosasaur
> > specimens in the Platecarpus genus, at Fort Hays State University's
> > Sternberg Museum of Natural History (FHSM) in Kansas.
> >
> > Recently, researchers revisited the enigmatic fossil — pieces of a skull,
> > jaw and a few bones from behind the head — and found that the reptile
> > didn't belong in the Platecarpus genus. Rather, it was a close relative of
> > a rare mosasaur species known from just one specimen, scientists reported
> > in a new study.
> Reminds me of the second day, a Cretaceous site where some
> members of the group found a mosasaur fossil with most of the same
> fragmentary parts that are described above. If memory serves, this was the site that
> was very close to the South Dakota border-- so close, that our guides
> took us just across the border and past a "Welcome to South Dakota"
> [...]

A gentle reminder Peter. You have no knowledge of my polical opinions, as I've been careful
not to divulge them here (or elsewhere online). I will divulge this however: as usual when
expounding without knowledge, you're wrong.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Re: An 18-foot-long sea monster ruled the ancient ocean that once covered Kansas

By: Peter Nyikos on Sat, 4 Dec 2021

27Peter Nyikos