From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: How Long Do you Suppose the USA Will Last under Biden?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 07:08:25 +0700
References: <4c45136f-faf6-431f-8bc2-60f423e903c7n@googlegroups.com> <141d36f6-d1b4-4c70-a502-72c9e8e1681en@googlegroups.com> <18b2a748-66b0-4524-ac0b-dc942d39e8f9n@googlegroups.com> <9ed87ec1-4c3d-46a6-b724-4a4a3771c5c6n@googlegroups.com> <2342ce08-e32e-4988-b465-4a3d3c143b49n@googlegroups.com> <shu2ap$94o$1@dont-email.me> <76d8b14b-4eed-4a50-9c78-0aee3393ab3dn@googlegroups.com> <ka75kgtp4krqqo3bi9rdilgk7ucapv9677@4ax.com> <shvphl$fe9$1@dont-email.me>
 by: John B. - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 00:08 UTC

On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 11:57:38 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 9/15/2021 9:44 PM, John B. wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 18:15:07 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
>> <frkrygow@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The book _The Mosquito_ by Winegard claims that mosquitos were one of the most important factors in the
>>> success of the American revolution. The traitorous revolutionaries were much more knowledgeable about
>>> when and where the mosquitos spread malaria, yellow fever, etc.
>>>
>>> - Frank Krygowski
>>
>> And Washington, in 1777 ordered that the members of the Continental
>> forces be vaccinated against smallpox.
>>
>> But, mosquito's? I would wonder as the British had by the late 1700's
>> been active in tropical countries such as India and China for some
>> time and must have been familiar with mosquito's, and was the
>> relationship between mosquito's and sickness realized in the 1700's?
>
>I read the book a while ago, then gave it away. But as I recall, there
>was no widespread understanding of the link between mosquitoes and
>disease. The term "malaria" comes from bad air, and the air in swampy
>lands was thought to be the cause of the disease.
>
>But the Americans knew much more about where the swampy lands were and
>the times of year that malaria and yellow fever ran rampant. The British
>bumbled around an unknown country and suffered heavy losses of manpower.
>
>Here's a brief article:
>https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/18/AR2010101806002.html

I wonder... After all the colonies were essentially British and I
believe it is estimated that roughly a third of the "colonists" were
pro "The Motherland" so it does seem likely that British forces, who
had been fighting in the "new world" for about 20 years before the
"Great Mutiny" might have become aware of the various sicknesses that
were common.

I only did a very quick look but it appears that Smallpox was seen as
the greatest danger and both the British and Colonists (at a later
date) inoculated their troops against it.
But, who knows now. So much utter foolishness has been written about
wars that nearly 250 years later who knows what actually happened (:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o How Long Do you Suppose the USA Will Last under Biden?

By: Tom Kunich on Sun, 12 Sep 2021

676Tom Kunich