From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: How Long Do you Suppose the USA Will Last under Biden?
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 06:23:17 +0700
References: <si2nn4$lv7$2@dont-email.me> <f21ef3ba-06d3-4a36-8d44-b592f9f452ean@googlegroups.com> <si33lb$svi$1@dont-email.me> <47262b09-a247-4fb8-a0df-6b0ea879c31cn@googlegroups.com> <si5m9l$9l5$1@dont-email.me> <ea39125f-9314-4cb4-9cf4-03ca3ed6dab3n@googlegroups.com> <10581ddc-f876-4c73-9074-8055bde9e95dn@googlegroups.com> <904cede5-4777-4f64-b727-27d56b2255bcn@googlegroups.com> <03f759a1-d6ea-4238-b361-f7f94c717988n@googlegroups.com>
 by: John B. - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 23:23 UTC

On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 15:55:40 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, September 18, 2021 at 3:21:24 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:

>> > Explain how the government knows what you barter or trade for when 98% of that is by individuals without any tracking of their economies?
>> Now pay attention: I buy a bag of refined sugar from ye olde dry good store. The price includes an excise tax, which is collected by the sugar distributor and passed on by the seller in the price of the sugar. I then trade that sugar to Zeek the beaver trapper for some pelts, and to get equivalent value to what I spent on the sugar, I want two pelts instead of one -- or one beaver pelt and a nutria pelt or some willow bark for the headache your are giving me. If I pay more for sugar, I expect more in trade -- and the person making the trade is "paying" more -- and indirectly paying the excise tax or tariff.
>>
>> You imagine an economy that did not involve manufactured or imported goods, which was never he case in the US. People were not making rifles in their home forges and trading them to other people. They were imported along with tea, sugar, alcohol (rum) and other goods. BTW, this is also why the barter economy kicked the bucket early in American history. It only works when both parties have something the other wants. It is super inefficient. With money, you can buy whatever you want. Screw the beaver pelts.
>
>Jay, the headache isn't from me. It from you trying to understand the simplest possible terms put before you. MOST of the USA was on a barter system before the advent of our money system. Most of it remained that way after the money system because the money was all held by the commercial interests. Whether you called it an income tax or an excise tax mattered not at all because the SAME people paid in either case. Once the country began moving away from the barter system and into the money system, it made a HUGE difference whether you called it an excise or an income tax. I will repeat - you do not finance a country and all of its services by forcing the costs upon a minority. We've gone through all of this sort of crap before when we were speaking of increasing the money supply. You do not understand the most basic requirements of economics.

Tommy Boy, you are incredibly stupid. The use of Currency, in America,
dates back to at least 1690 when the Massachusetts Bay Colony financed
a military expedition to Canada by issuing bills of credit. and by the
time of the Revolutionary War, each of the thirteen coloniesÂ’
governments had emitted their own currency issues.

Your vision of happy, but primitive, folks gleefully exchanging baby
pigs for a new dress for their wife is not only wrong, it is down
right stupid.
--
Cheers,

John B.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o How Long Do you Suppose the USA Will Last under Biden?

By: Tom Kunich on Sun, 12 Sep 2021

676Tom Kunich