From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: How Long Do you Suppose the USA Will Last under Biden?
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 06:13:23 +0700
References: <ea39125f-9314-4cb4-9cf4-03ca3ed6dab3n@googlegroups.com> <10581ddc-f876-4c73-9074-8055bde9e95dn@googlegroups.com> <si7goo$e3p$2@dont-email.me> <16ca7b50-b9cd-40d2-9091-78da36334cbdn@googlegroups.com> <f4353623-485e-479b-92cd-75ab23ae9ba6n@googlegroups.com> <si7oct$ec5$1@dont-email.me> <si80f4$c78$1@dont-email.me> <si835l$7ka$1@dont-email.me> <si8mf8$n1m$1@dont-email.me> <si8p16$3d0$1@dont-email.me> <sia6uh$tq7$1@dont-email.me> <sia9su$pdv$1@dont-email.me>
 by: John B. - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 23:13 UTC

On Mon, 20 Sep 2021 10:38:06 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 9/20/2021 9:47 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

>>> Were you commenting on some other country or historic era?
>>>
>>> That's precisely the system we have, and radically so. I
>>> have not advocated anything, just noting that the top 1%
>>> of taxpayers earn 21% of income and pay 39$ of income taxes.
>>>
>>> The top 50% by income pay 97% of income taxes; The lower
>>> 50$ pay 3%.
>>
>> Yes, I understand that those with more currently pay more.
>> I'd say the question is, do they pay _enough_ more?
>>
>> The county engineer needs funds to pave local roads. Much of
>> that money comes from gas tax. So the owner of a $50,000
>> Lincoln hybrid getting 40 mpg pays less per mile than the
>> guy who can afford only a 2000 Ford Taurus getting 18 mpg.
>> That's just one example of how the system benefits the wealthy.
>>
>> Based on my own experience, if a person is making just
>> enough to get by, it's very hard to take advantage of
>> economic opportunities - even basic ones like buying a more
>> efficient car or insulating one's home - let alone to
>> accumulate wealth.
>>
>> But once people get a bit above water, so to speak, the
>> smart ones can do economically productive things with any
>> excess. The more they do that, the faster their wealth
>> grows. But those who start out in a prosperous family get
>> that excess from birth. It is much, much easier for them to
>> climb the economic ladder.
>>
>> And wherever the personal wealth excess comes from (smart &
>> hard work, inheritance, dumb luck) once a person has a
>> certain amount, it can accumulate rapidly, as an exponential
>> function. So it's always WAY easier for a wealthy person,
>> compared to a poor person, to afford a $10,000 bill.
>>
>> Countries with less income and wealth disparity tend to be
>> more stable, have lower crime rates, and have more
>> contented citizenry. The U.S. is not one of them.
>>

>The world is chock full of examples of self destruction,
>indolence and worse among the children of the rich.
>
>Moreover the trend of late to accuse our culture of 'income
>disparity' (which I'm not convinced is an actual problem.
>More like a feature. YMMV) skips over county rent, food
>stamps, free medical, many other transfers. Actual net
>income and living standards do not reflect the headlines.
>
>At least we seem to agree that excessive regulation inhibits
>upward mobility for those of meager means. I've been singing
>that song for 50 years, during which time the regulatory
>deck became more unfairly stacked against people of small
>means who work and save.
>
>The income tax structure is just as you wish- severely
>punitive as income goes up. But the payroll tax, 14.5% on
>the first dollar, is the reverse. Never hear any bleeding
>hearts in favor of changing that, just my voice out here in
>the wilderness.

I've always wondered whether the graduated tax spiraling upward to
penalize individuals that "had made a bit" wasn't due primarily to the
fact that there are far more low paid voters then high paid voters.
--
Cheers,

John B.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o How Long Do you Suppose the USA Will Last under Biden?

By: Tom Kunich on Sun, 12 Sep 2021

676Tom Kunich