From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: How Long Do you Suppose the USA Will Last under Biden?
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 19:39:03 -0500
References: <f4353623-485e-479b-92cd-75ab23ae9ba6n@googlegroups.com> <si7oct$ec5$1@dont-email.me> <si80f4$c78$1@dont-email.me> <si835l$7ka$1@dont-email.me> <si8mf8$n1m$1@dont-email.me> <si8p16$3d0$1@dont-email.me> <sia6uh$tq7$1@dont-email.me> <sia9su$pdv$1@dont-email.me> <c25ikglmgt6d80v3rsqb5i4evpk0fub2q7@4ax.com> <sibbep$epb$1@dont-email.me> <8uhikgl6qvibtdm2vn31vskhdjcdkeq8kt@4ax.com> <sicjc1$kuv$1@dont-email.me> <sicsjl$1td$1@dont-email.me> <pmokkg9epcpfbg3mh04h6ef699e7oi6us6@4ax.com>
 by: AMuzi - Wed, 22 Sep 2021 00:39 UTC

On 9/21/2021 6:19 PM, John B. wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2021 11:09:40 -0400, Frank Krygowski
> <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> Not unlike my experience (albeit more successful) and I know a great
>>> many men with similar experience. Tropes of 'doomed lower class peons'
>>> are as overrated as English PhDs driving taxis (of whom I knew two).
>>> Humans are a wildly diverse lot, such that one ought to pause when
>>> making broad generalizations.
>>
>> Yes, and I know a very intelligent PhD biologist who has had to struggle
>> with part time work for years. A young man in our neighborhood - eagle
>> scout, valedictorian, bachelor's & masters degrees - can find work only
>> as a stockboy. But I also have a dropout friend poor enough to ride his
>> bike to soup giveaways. Anecdotes have limited value.
>>
>> Do you really think a voter living in a ghetto has as much influence as
>> a voter living in a mansion? Why do wealthy people organize and attend
>> Fund Raising Dinners? How many Fund Raising Dinners are held in ghettos?
>
> As for the poor, but highly educated, bloke who couldn't find a decent
> job? What actual marketable skills did he have. I ask as over the
> years we employed a very large number of skilled artesian's who had
> little formal schooling and still made "top dollar".
>
> As for living in a ghetto and not having an influence? Frank read the
> News! The Texas voting law changes that are being reported are,
> apparently, aimed at prevent those very same ghetto folks you mention
> as not having any political power, from voting. Now, if they have no
> political power why in the world is Texas so intent on preventing them
> from voting.
>
> Or you might want to read a little history. "Mayor" Curley, of Boston,
> was actually elected twice while serving prison sentences, not by the
> Rich Folk but by the poor Irish multitudes.

I follow Texas politics on WBAP. Would you name one
unreasonably restrictive aspect of the revised Statute
please? If there's some outlandish restriction, I missed it.

Here's SB1 as signed by the Governor earlier this month:
https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/871/billtext/pdf/SB00001I.pdf

Since you mentioned Mr Curley, SB1 attempts to limit legal
registered voters to only one ballot each, which IMHO would
be a good thing.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o How Long Do you Suppose the USA Will Last under Biden?

By: Tom Kunich on Sun, 12 Sep 2021

676Tom Kunich