From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Responsive frame
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 20:51:07 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 01:51 UTC

On 3/6/2022 2:21 PM, AMuzi wrote:
> On 3/6/2022 11:53 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

>>> On a 360-degree fork turn I have no idea but you're
>>> probably right. For normal range, as you note 45 deg left
>>> or right, any height change is between zero and negligible.
>>
>> I just did more geometry work. For now, I'm treating the
>> front wheel as a pure circle, i.e. a disc of zero thickness,
>> or a tire of zero width. (I'm not sure what difference tire
>> width will make, if any.)
>>
>> You're certainly right that the height change is small, at
>> least for small steering angles. The obvious limit is zero
>> height change for zero steering angle. But ISTM that as
>> steering angle increases from zero, there must be _some_
>> drop in frame height. Here's some of the geometry.
>>
>> The contact point of the tire on the road occurs at the back
>> of the "trail," and the trail value is often easy to look up
>> for a given bike. Alternately it's easy to calculate from
>> head angle H and fork offset.
>>
>> Let's call the trail value T.
>>
>> Spinning the fork all the way around makes the contact point
>> trace a circle. Its radius is R=T*cos(90-H)  and that circle
>> tilts upward 90-H degrees. That upward tilt is the basis of
>> what I've been saying.
>>
>> Steering angle S causes the contact point to swing a bit
>> upward along that circle. I'll give details if desired, but
>> using two projected views and some fairly simple trig, the
>> change in height as that contact point swings up (i.e.
>> closer to the top tube) is the amount the frame drops. Call
>> it D.
>>
>> I get D = R * (1-cos (S)) * sin(90-H)
>> or
>> D = T * cos(90-H) * (1-cos (S)) * sin(90-H)
>>
>> As I see it, for any conventional bike this is going to
>> cause the frame height to drop just a bit. It's not much,
>> because the circle tilts up only about 17 or 18 degrees, and
>> for most riding S is small. But it must be there.
>>
>> Plugging in an extreme steering angle of 45 degrees with a
>> 73 degree head angle and 60 mm trail, this gives a drop of
>> 4.91mm. Plugging in the same values but with a more typical
>> 10 degree steering angle gives a drop of 0.25mm which is
>> small indeed, but not zero. (The controlling term is (1 -
>> cos(S)), which is very small for normal steering angles.)
>>
>> BTW, I just held the meter stick against the top tube of my
>> ancient Raleigh commuter/grocery bike. It too exhibited a
>> drop as I turned the handlebars. It's almost undetectable
>> for small steering angles, but it's there. It doesn't seem
>> to be as large as 5mm, but then I don't know the bike's head
>> angle or trail. (Yet.)
>>

> That's all well considered and well written.
>
> Generally if one can readily observe rise or fall through 90 degrees,(45
> each side) something is wrong/ damaged.
>
> Outliers such as classic roadsters are obvious in their rise without
> measuring tools. The effect on handling is apparent and dramatic
> immediately to riders inexperienced with the design.

Well, I don't have a roadster to measure, but I still don't see how a
rise is possible.

I couldn't find details on roadster geometry, so I scaled this image:
https://georgehahn.com/the-raleigh-dl-1-my-dream-bike/
I get a head tube angle of about 66 degrees and a trail about 107mm.

Putting it through my equations above, that yields a negligible drop of
0.6mm at at steering angle of ten degrees, and a large drop of 11.6mm at
a steering angle of 45 degrees. The equations and geometry don't predict
a rise.

If I've made a mistake, I'm curious what it is.

BTW, I tried for a bit to measure the drops using a dial indicator
clamped to my saw table. It's devilishly hard. Too many degrees of
freedom, and it requires constantly fiddling with the bike to seek the
top of the top tube. Pinching a vertical meter stick to the side of the
top tube seems the most reliable way to get at least a sense of the
vertical motion.

--
- Frank Krygowski

SubjectRepliesAuthor