From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Heroin and bicycles
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 05:58:11 +0700
References: <t3nrc2$i4r$2@dont-email.me> <9n0v5hd6vd2c9j4gu4470k27dleabia63u@4ax.com> <t3pful$pbt$1@dont-email.me> <6c316hd52s1ogo6hq1c5dr5c4v6snu5rs0@4ax.com> <t3s6l9$pkm$1@dont-email.me> <r1s36hhciecqi6u8iqfea6cv0htih7aglk@4ax.com> <t3t2qr$vrk$1@dont-email.me> <fa546hdnt0eqv5qar56g3i0p636jiimgd3@4ax.com> <t3u7vo$ti8$1@dont-email.me> <t3uflh$vtb$1@dont-email.me> <4503609f-819a-43ff-82d1-a5c74f75a7b1n@googlegroups.com> <t3vs1h$49c$1@dont-email.me> <t4148i$ntd$1@dont-email.me>
 by: John B. - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 22:58 UTC

On Sat, 23 Apr 2022 10:59:29 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 4/22/2022 11:33 PM, AMuzi wrote:

>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Post
>>> "The New York Post (NY Post) is a conservative daily tabloid newspaper
>>> published in New York City. The Post also operates NYPost.com, the
>>> celebrity gossip site PageSix.com, and the entertainment site
>>> Decider.com.
>>>
>>> It was established in 1801 by Federalist and Founding Father Alexander
>>> Hamilton, and became a respected broadsheet in the 19th century under
>>> the name New York Evening Post.[9] Its most famous 19th-century editor
>>> was William Cullen Bryant. In the mid-20th century, the paper was
>>> owned by Dorothy Schiff, a devoted liberal, who developed its tabloid
>>> format. In 1976, Rupert Murdoch bought the Post for US$30.5 million.
>>> Since 1993, the Post has been owned by Murdoch's News Corp. Its
>>> distribution ranked 4th in the US in 2019."
>>>
>>> Andy, if you are relying on the New York Post for your source, you
>>> need some help.  Tommy boy uses similar sources for his support.  If
>>> you click on the Wikipedia link for the New York Post, you will be
>>> taken to a website that shows one of the Post's papers.  It says
>>> "Bezos Exposes Pecker".  With a picture of Jeff Bezos and his
>>> girlfriend or wife.  Fully clothed of course.  Tell us Andy, does the
>>> Wisconsin State Journal run headlines like that on its front page?
>>> Your main state newspaper.  The NY Post is very comparable to Fox News
>>> or Newsmax or One America News or similar places.
>>>
>>> Now, I am not saying the black mayor of New York City, Eric Adams, and
>>> the black BLM founder/participant, Hawk Newsome, did not have a
>>> disagreement and did not call each other names.  I am sure they did
>>> have a divergence.  I am sure the founders and participants of the KKK
>>> disagreed on many matters too.  But they still held to their core
>>> principles.
>>>

>> I saw Mr Newsome's interview in his own words (except the bleep) it on
>> the radio early on WOR and later on WABC.
>>
>> Post has convenient non-paywall web links.
>>
>> You're welcome in that your only criticism is that you dislike the Post.
>> I assume you share with me utter contempt for Mr Newsome and BLM generally.
>
>Let me agree with Mr. Muzi on part of this. I suppose most news outlets
>have some editorial slant one way or other. (I've seen articles rating
>that slant for dozens of news sources - although I'm sure those offended
>by the ratings will call "bias!") And I do think the Post is not
>particularly respectable as a source.
>
>However, not everything in the Post is wrong. Similarly, if a biased and
>deluded maniac says "The sun is rising!" the sun may still be rising.

But what is "Bias"? Is it, in some manner, a definitive measure of
right and wrong? Or a matter of what a large number of people consider
right and wrong, at this moment in time?

Slavery, for example. A perfectly legal and accepted practice from
earliest human history until `about` the 1800's, and now regarded with
horror.
--
Cheers,

John B.