From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Heroin and bicycles
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 09:28:45 -0500
References: <6c316hd52s1ogo6hq1c5dr5c4v6snu5rs0@4ax.com> <t3s6l9$pkm$1@dont-email.me> <r1s36hhciecqi6u8iqfea6cv0htih7aglk@4ax.com> <t3t2qr$vrk$1@dont-email.me> <fa546hdnt0eqv5qar56g3i0p636jiimgd3@4ax.com> <t3u7vo$ti8$1@dont-email.me> <t3uflh$vtb$1@dont-email.me> <4503609f-819a-43ff-82d1-a5c74f75a7b1n@googlegroups.com> <t3vs1h$49c$1@dont-email.me> <t4148i$ntd$1@dont-email.me> <md096hdvs3df7m39m9og6stp0kf586dos3@4ax.com> <0cc992ac-9a29-46e7-92e9-fdc43a46031dn@googlegroups.com> <n8596hdfv7u9oclq5imjnbjchbe8lhu1da@4ax.com>
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 14:28 UTC

On 4/23/2022 7:33 PM, John B. wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Apr 2022 16:48:39 -0700 (PDT), "russellseaton1@yahoo.com"
> <ritzannaseaton@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, April 23, 2022 at 5:58:21 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:

>>> But what is "Bias"? Is it, in some manner, a definitive measure of
>>> right and wrong? Or a matter of what a large number of people consider
>>> right and wrong, at this moment in time?
>>>
>>> Slavery, for example. A perfectly legal and accepted practice from
>>> earliest human history until `about` the 1800's, and now regarded with
>>> horror.
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> John B.
>>
>> Bias would be a leaning, slant, towards one side of a philosophy. Assuming there are only two sides to every idea.
>>
>> You mention slavery. It has been practiced and legal for thousands of years. But not everyone practiced it. Not everyone accepted it. There was always a large number of people against it. Same with drug use. Marijuana and hashish in particular. Commonly used by many up until about 100 years ago. Legal usage of drugs. And some of these illegal drugs are now being made legal again. Prostitution and whore houses. Very legal in most places around the world until somewhat recently. But still legal in Nevada and Amsterdam. Imagine that. Drugs and prostitutes, legal. Horror.
>

> "But not everyone practiced it. Not everyone accepted it"??
>
> Really? During what time period? The Roman Empire is pretty well
> documented and slavery was certainly accepted then, in fact part of
> the Legion's "pay", was in dividing the money gotten from selling
> enslaved enemy. It was written that when Julius Caesar conquered Gaul
> the numbers of slaves sold by the conquering Romans depressed the
> Mediterranean slave markets for several years.
>
> I think, if you look into it, that slavery became less acceptable as
> an economy became less dependent on agriculture. The U.S. Civil War
> was fought between the largely agricultural South and the rapidly
> becoming industrialized North.

As I've noted here many times, there's quite a crowd always
ready and willing to condemn the only country which
sacrificed 3/4 million lives to end it. That same group has
better things to do than condemn slavery of black Christians
in Sudan or Nigerian girls by Boko Haram or chinese mass
slavery and large scale organ harvesting from living
victims. The term for that is 'situational ethics'.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

SubjectRepliesAuthor