From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Have you ever?
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 00:54:29 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:cX26XkKJZm0sMQpwXg9QUEoRSmo=
 by: Roger Merriman - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 00:54 UTC

Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Bicycling - Have You Ever?
>
> Have you ever:
>
> - Joined a bike club?

Two so far. Or rather moved from one to another.

> - Ridden on a club ride?

Loads of times

> - Led a club ride?

Loads of times

> - Ridden your bike to a bike club meeting?

Probably rather depends where it was.

> - Volunteered for a bike club committee position?
>
> - Been a bike club officer?
>
> - Volunteered for a bike rodeo?
>
> - Served on a bike advocacy committee or board?
>
> - Ran an invitational bike ride or event?
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> - Read a book about bicycling?

A number over the years though I generally don’t read anymore.

> - Written a book about bicycling?
>
> - Had an article published in a bicycling magazine or newspaper?
>
> - Had a photograph published in a bike magazine?
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> - Taken a bicycling class?

When I was a child was cycle training At school.

> - Taught a bicycling class?
>
> - Practiced a rock dodge?
>
> - Practiced emergency braking?

I learnt this MTBing so not really relevant, ie positioning on bike and so
on.

> - Practiced an emergency evasive turn?

Again moving the bike quickly, and responding to sudden events is MTB skill
set.

> - Jumped your bike over a pothole?

Not generally needed as even the gravel bike will just plow through most
without issue, the MTB it’s a total non event!

> - Been chased by a scary dog?

As a kid possibly.

> - Been bitten by a scary dog?

Don’t recall so.

> - Trained someone’s dog to not chase you?
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> - Displayed a bike-themed decoration inside your house?
>
> - Displayed a bike-themed decoration in your yard?
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> - Biked to work?

I commute so yes!

> - Biked to buy your groceries?

Rarely since I can walk to number of shops locally which makes more sense
than the bike.

> - Ridden at night for fun?

Occasionally I have done MTB rides but generally a lot of faff, and
arguably need a lot of kit for it to work well, ie cost vs The gravel rides
which need far less powerful and less lights for it to work well.

> - Ridden at night for transportation?

I work late often so yes ride home at dark be that early or late.

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> - Used a generator headlight?

Hire bike probably, see them on some of the bikes locally, not personally a
fan as I like lights with a bit more oomph even on the commute I have
properly dark sections my light has a remote toggle switch which
engages/disengages the high beam.

> - Put a rack on your bike?

Commute bike has had one fitted for good decade or so, had it on one of the
previous commute bikes as well.

> - Put fenders on your bike?

Mudguards which keep the worst of it off.

> - ... with a mudflap?
>
> - Put a kickstand on your “good” bike?
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> - Ridden a bike wearing lycra?

Since I no longer have a short commute, all of the time.

> - Ridden a bike wearing wool instead of lycra?

I have some more modern merino wool kit, or certainly used to.

> - Ridden 25 miles in blue jeans?

No idea possibly at some point in the past.

> - Ridden with toe clips?

Momentarily possibly. I grew up riding old town bikes and then early MTB on
gravel type stuff so never really useful.

> - Ridden with clipless pedals?

For a few years yes, though realised that I’m happier with proper pinned
flats and flat cycle shoes even with road riding, clipless was fine but I
preferred flats.

> - Ridden with a rain cape?
>
> - Ridden without a helmet?

For decades as it wasn’t a thing until maybe 20 years ago?

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> - Repaired a flat tire? Never patched a tyre any rip has tended to be fairly terminal.
>
> - Adjusted a derailleur? Yup even bent a few back into shape though got
> bike shop to adjust it after that.
>
> - Wrapped your own handlebars?

Have done though tend to leave on as it lasts for years.

> - Built a bike wheel?
>
> - Built a bicycle frame?
>
> - Built a bike from the frame up?
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> - Ridden a racing bike? Yes though only during this century.
>
> - Ridden a fixed gear bike? Yup had me for a while.
>
> - Ridden a mountain bike? What I grew up riding.
>
> - Ridden a recumbent? Ish see below
>
> - Ridden a tandem? As captain? As stoker? Yes but not traditional but
> side by side ones for work with our guys, including a tricycle that can
> load a wheelchair which is a lovely bike.

Lot of the side by sides are just welded together and are lumpen beasts,
Velo the trike though heavy is much lighter easier ride.

> - Ridden an adult tricycle? A fixed gear one which was a hoot!
>
> - Ridden an antique “ordinary” or high wheeler?
>
> - Ridden a unicycle?
>
> - Ridden an eBike?

Yup my folks have some, if I lived somewhere I could use it more I’d think
about a EMTB

> - Towed a bicycle trailer?
>
> - Ridden carrying a kid in a bike child seat?
>
> - Owned more than three bikes?

For a while though mostly during periods when I had a bike I wanted to
sell.

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> - Visited a bicycle museum?

They bring out various classic bikes at the park fair, always nice to see
them ridden, have visited a museum in mid wales was a very small
essentially someone’s collection so not terribly well done.

> - Watched an organized bike race, in person?

Yup the various london Olympics be that road or MTB.

> - Competed in an organized bike race?
>
> - Won an organized bike race?
>
> - Competed in an organized time trial?
>
> - Ridden on a velodrome?
>
> - Competed in a velodrome race?
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> - Crashed? Lots of times though mostly dismounts so few bruises, including ego.

It’s also what caused my brain injury. Which was mundane ie slow speeds no
cars and so on.

> - Ridden more than a year without crashing?

Absolutely even though I MTB I mostly keep it rubber side down and mostly
can be controlled.

> - Ridden more than ten years without crashing?

No idea probably not but all but one I’ve walked away from.

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> - Ridden 50 miles? Regularly
>
> - Ridden a metric century? (100 km) every now and then
>
> - Ridden a century? (100 miles) once.
>
> - Ridden a double metric? Once
>
> - Ridden a double century? No nor am likely to.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> - Ridden faster than the speed limit? Doesn’t apply to bikes but yes as
> plenty of 20mph and so on area that I certainly will touch.
>
> - Ridden faster than 35 mph? Yes I tend not to much faster than that
> tends to be the limit though rather depends on the road I guess!
>
> - Ridden fast than 50 mph? Possibly but if it was be momentarily, and
> Strava max speed is not trustworthy.
>
> - Gotten a ticket while riding your bike?

Not really achievable in uk as very little you can be done really.

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> - Ridden across Ohio?
>
> - Ridden across Pennsylvania?
>
> - Ridden across any other state?
>
> - Ridden across the U.S.?

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> - Ridden 2000 miles in a year?
>
> - Ridden 5000 miles in a year?

I tend to be about 3k rather depends how much commuting I do, I’m now part
time, and also the ratio of MTB to gravel or road as that will alter the
distance. Ie years where I’ve done more Gravel bike then I’ll do 5k + but
if more even then 3k

> - Ridden 10,000 miles in a year?
>
> - Done an overnight bike trip?
>
> - Done a multi-day camping bike trip?
>
> - Done a really long bike tour?
>
> - Done a bike tour overseas?
>
> - Planned and navigated your own bike tour?

Not really doable anymore, even though I have a gravel bike and it’s
apparently what folks should be doing it’s beyond what my I could cope
with.

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> - Ridden on a bike path?
>
> - Ridden on a four-lane road?
>
> - Ridden on a freeway (where legal)?
>
> - Ridden somewhere that was definitely not legal?
>
> - Ridden your road bike where most people would use a mountain bike?

I’ve ridden and will ride on most roads if they happen to be the most
logical choice, and it’s utility cycling, though I’m much more choosy if
it’s a leisure ride.

Some roadies are remarkably cautious about what there bike can or rather
can’t do. This said equally some MTB rides are essentially gravel rides
etc.

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> - Ridden in the rain?

I live in the uk…

> - Ridden in the snow?
>
> - Ridden hotter than 100 degrees?

The heat wave in uk pushed the heat to that and just above which in a urban
area wasn’t comfortable!

> - Ridden colder than 32 degrees?
>
> - Ridden colder than 0 degrees?

I’ve certainly ridden in winter, even in london it will dip below zero back
in wales will drop to -20 or so and certainly used to get significant snow
though get some even in london and areas around it every other year or so

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> - Ridden a month without missing a day?
>
> - Ridden a year without missing a day?
>
> - Parked your car for a week and used your bike instead?

Occasionally just depends.

> - Parked your car for a month and used your bike instead?
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> - Ridden in a Tweed Ride?
>
> - Ridden in a Naked Bike Ride?

Neither though are run a few times in london but I’ve not gone to either.

> - Attended a regional bike convention?
>
> - Attended a national bike convention?
>
> - Thought about other items to add to this list?

Roger Merriman

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Have you ever?

By: Frank Krygowski on Mon, 24 Oct 2022