Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 06:57:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Mac drive letters?
From: whisky.d...@gmail.com (whisky-dave)
 by: whisky-dave - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 13:57 UTC

On Friday, 18 March 2022 at 18:26:18 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2022 20:20:23 -0000, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 12, 2022 at 3:13:56 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
> > <op.1iwxd...@ryzen.lan>:

> >> Quicker on Windows for any other drive. E:\videos\beach babes.mp4
> >
> > Your boot drive is your E: drive?
>
> No, the E: drive is the large rust spinner for videos and TV.

Why do you have to call it the E drive.
I have a 3TB drive for TV and Films, and a 3TB drive for Music and home made videos. Just USB3 drives
Then there's my backups drives, I never refer to them by one letter of the alphabet

why do you need to refer to a drive as E ?

I cna understand you labeling your shoes L & R but not drives.

> > And how is that faster than ~/videos/beach babes.mp4
>
> What's a tilde again? Is that your user folder? Well I don't want them in there. My user folder is on the boot drive and that's too small for terabytes of TV.

> > You create your own rules. Sure. And it is your system -- enjoy. Just do not
> > expect others to follow your rules.
>
> I don't expect anyone to organise anything the same way, which is why having the OS try to push you into one way is ridiculous.

I think it helps to have such things like a download folder I even have an upload folder.
It's handy too that when typing a letter it prompts to save it in the documents folder rather than music or movies folder.
I can always change it though if I want to I saved a picture in the movies folder last night because it was a picture of a band
andn I wanted to represent that band by the picture on facebook.

> >> Are those folders not inside your user folder?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> My videos are on a different drive to my pictures.

I don't keep such things permanently on my main drive, I archive them off on to seperate archive discs.
Then when I need space on my main drive I can delete them knowing that they are on my archive drives.

> >> I prefer to know what I'm looking at.
> >
> > As opposed to?
>
> What's sneaking up behind me.

My computers usually in front of me, I find that if it's behind me it's harder to use.

> >> But you said it's actually a folder. Wouldn't a folder open when you double
> >> click it?
> >
> > Why would you want to open a folder when you launch an app? You can dig into
> > it if you want but as the norm? What is the value? Why make it so you have to
> > dig to find the EXE, and figure out which one, just to launch an app? Seems to
> > get around that weakness you would need to create some extra menu and maybe
> > even have to place it on the taskbar to deal with this challenge. Oh. Windows
> > does that.
>
> The application is not one file, it's a collection of files, inside a folder. So when I double click that folder, I expect it to open, not launch something inside it.

Refering to the Word app.
But on a Mac it doesn't look like a folder , it is just an icon that looks like an app and behaves like one,
unless you right click it and do "show package contents", then it acts like a folder, which contains the resources,
plugins and other stuff relating to the Word app.
I guess your PC keeps the Word plugins in the beach babes folder.

> > I was wrong. Nospam is correct they would just show their names. No added
> > numbers. But, really, why name them the same?
>
> Say I have 20 USB sticks to give to a class. I put the same things on them all at once. I plug them all in at once. Why make up 20 names?

> >> Never heard of anyone wanting to rename an open file.
> >
> > Not on systems where they cannot do so! But what if there is a typo? What if
> > you decide it is in the wrong place? On Windows you have to do a little dance
> > of closing it, renaming or moving, the re-opening it. And then the Recent
> > files info often is broken.
>
> I rename it when it isn't open. I'd see the typo when I was about to open it.

I rename files when they are open especailly screen shots.
As I forget when they depicted so I open them up then change their name while they are open
and their name gets updated in the app and on disc.

I Did this more than 6 times on saturday. While listing to the 'movie' MV_4405.MP4'
I'd filmed early in the day I was watching it and listening to it until I reconnised the track name,
then I edited the MVI_4405.MP4 to the track name "dark Angels" or what ever it was.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Re: Mac drive letters?

By: Commander Kinsey on Thu, 24 Feb 2022

229Commander Kinsey