From: bodkin...@gmail.com (Odd Bodkin)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Subject: Re: How Einstein modified Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 13:15:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Odd Bodkin - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 13:15 UTC

Richard Hertz <hertz778@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 14, 2021 at 1:42:06 AM UTC-3, Sylvia Else wrote:

>>> Actually, NIST CODATA shows the value of g, at average ground height,
>>> is g(NIST) = 9.806 65 m/s², with a standard
>>> uncertainty of 0.000 32.5 m/s². Given an accuracy of 4 decimal digits,
>>> supported by the precision that NIST brings,
>>> I think that using such value to calculate weight is close to 0.01%
>>> accuracy, applying the same precision to mass.
>>>
>>> Averaging an error of 1% in commercial balances, I'm more than
>>> satisfied with my measure of weight in Newtons.
>>>
>>> But, relativists will jump to say NO!, you have to verify it up to 10
>>> decimal digits. Our GR theory is that exact.
>>>
>>> After all, we verified our theory up to 1 part in 1.25011E+07 when we
>>> apply it to Mercury's perihelion advance (theoretically).
>>>
>>> Which one is more exact: Newton or Einstein formulae?
>>>
>>> About the fact that I weight what I weight, it's really a fiction, as
>>> balances are calibrated to give 1 Newton per theoretical Newton
>>> within the full range of values for which the balance is certified.
>>>
>> There is no question that for everyday purposes, and indeed for moving
>> around the solar system, Newton's formula is more than adequate.
>>
>> But that is no reason to say that we should just leave matters there.
>> For other purposes, such as precise predictions of Mercury's orbit, or
>> how events unfold near to a black hole, Newton's formula doesn't cut it,
>> and we need the modifications provided by Einstein in general relativity.
>>
>> This does not impose on us the complexity of general relativity for
>> everyday use - we know that the corrections are negligible for these
>> purposes, and are far below the limits of accuracy in our measurements
>> anyway. So we just use Newton's formula.
>>
>> You seem to be saying that we should ignore general relativity because
>> you personally don't need it.
>>
>> Sylvia.
>
> Regarding singularities and black holes, the last concept went out of proportions
> thanks to relativity theologians, who wasted and still waste their lives looking for
> some occult meaning within the 300+ formulae of GR, like those religion theologians
> looking for some occult secrets encoded within the sacred books: The Talmud, the
> versions of the Bible, the Quran and many other religious Books of Faith.
>
> I have nothing about religion theologians, even when I don't understand why they
> invest almost their entire adult existence looking for messages or predictions, but
> I'm totally against theologians of science (if such qualification can be applied to them),
> because I believe that they are possessed by a mystical conviction that there are hidden
> meanings in the interpretation of second and higher orders of approximations in functions
> or in their singularities.
>
> In mathematics, a singularity is a point at which a given mathematical
> object is not defined,
> or a point where the mathematical object ceases to be well-behaved in some particular way,
> [...]

So, your religious faith is that nature cannot exhibit anything that
resembles a mathematical singularity, because it offends your sense of
continuity and Excel-calculability. Any treatment that exhibits anything
like a singularity is just a failure of mathematics, because you need
something to blame for the offense.

And yet you also say that nature is incomprehensible, held only by God and
out of the domain of human understanding.

Fascinating that you hold both religious beliefs simultaneously.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o How Einstein modified Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation

By: Richard Hertz on Mon, 13 Dec 2021

32Richard Hertz