Human beings were created by water to transport it uphill.

tech / sci.math / Re: Why do theory of computation problems require pure functions? [ PSR error]

Re: Why do theory of computation problems require pure functions? [ PSR error]

<q5KdnWcPfprt5Nr8nZ2dnUU7-TPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76681&group=sci.math#76681

Subject: Re: Why do theory of computation problems require pure functions? [
PSR error]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<0LKdnQW0_vXAz9v8nZ2dnUU7-RHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <si5o18$ca0$1@dont-email.me>
<b8qdnUQWUNeC-Nv8nZ2dnUU7-cvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <si5p69$qpa$1@dont-email.me>
<i6WdnR3uOcyR9Nv8nZ2dnUU7-TGdnZ2d@giganews.com> <si5qpm$srv$1@dont-email.me>
<XbOdnZbe3JqE8tv8nZ2dnUU7-emdnZ2d@giganews.com>
<4lu1J.13876$Im6.4952@fx09.iad>
<x8CdnXa9leSnMtv8nZ2dnUU7-RHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <si6d74$tv6$1@dont-email.me>
<si6dp3$7u1$1@dont-email.me> <kZadne336bvC19r8nZ2dnUU7-L_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<si7lli$n28$1@dont-email.me> <ZLidnRFCjJnaxtr8nZ2dnUU7-KXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<si7ng8$s7c$1@dont-email.me> <n5GdnTqFUbEg-tr8nZ2dnUU7-c3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<si7q37$gbh$1@dont-email.me> <BK6dnbrUf-_Q89r8nZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<si7rq1$i84$1@dont-email.me>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 12:54:55 -0500
 by: olcott - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 17:54 UTC

On 9/19/2021 12:25 PM, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2021-09-19 11:07, olcott wrote:

>>> Right, which means this is entirely irrelevant to Rice's theorem.
>>>

>> Many historical posts in comp.theory say otherwise.
>> If a function can be provided that correctly decides that a specific
>> TM cannot correctly decide a specific input pair (according to many
>> historical posts on comp.theory) this does refute Rice's theorem.
>
> So what is the semantic property *of P* that you claim your
> PSR_Olcott_2004 is capable of identifying?
>
> You can't claim that there is anything 'erroneous' about P. There isn't.
>
> The fact that you run into a problem when you pass a description of P to
> some *other* TM is not an indicator that there is something wrong with
> P. That's like saying that the expression 40 + 50 is 'erroneous' because
> I can't pass it as an argument to tangent().

>>> No, it does not. It decides that the results of H1(P, P) doesn't
>>> match the results of H(P, P). It 'decides' that one of these is
>>> correct and the other is not but it cannot tell you which one, which
>>> means it can't decide whether H(P, P) can correctly decide the halt
>>> status of its input.
>>>

>> I simply have not gotten to that part yet.
>
> And yet you claimed to be able to 'decide' that H(P, P) cannot correctly
> decide the halt status of its input. Until you actually 'get to that
> part' you have no business making such a claim.

Odd man out:
When H1(P,P) != H(P,P) we test
HX(P,P) != H1(P,P)
HX(P,P) != H(P,P)

The one that HX(P,P) agrees with is the correct one.

>>> That's not a property (semantic or otherwise) of *either* P or H.

>>> The liar's paradox is completely irrelevant to Linz.
>>>
>>> André
>>>

>> The pathological self-reference error (Olcott 2004) is specifically
>> relevant to:
>> (a) The Halting Theorem
>> (b) The 1931 Incompleteness Theorem
>> (c) The Tarski undefinability theorem
>> (d) The Liar Paradox (upon which (c) is based).
>
> So why don't you:
>
> (a) provide a proper definition of "pathological self-reference error"
>     That means a definition which will allow one to unambiguosly
> determine whether an arbitrary expression/entity has this error.

I just provided a reference to function that correctly decide this.
As long as my "pure function of its inputs" becomes fully validated
I will be able to provide the actual source-code that makes this decision.

> (b) explain in what sense an "error" is a property.
> (c) demonstrate that whatever property you are referring to is a
> *semantic* property.
>
> André

The pathological self reference error is when an
(a) Input P to a halt decider // halting theorem
has self-reference such that the Boolean value of H(P,P)
cannot be correctly determined by H.

(b) An expression of natural language // liar paradox
has self-reference such that the Boolean value this expression cannot be
correctly determined.

(c) An expression of formal language // incompleteness / undefinability.
has self-reference such that the Boolean value this expression cannot be
correctly determined within the same formal system.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Why do theory of computation problems require pure functions?

By: olcott on Sat, 18 Sep 2021

12olcott