Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 22:55:26 -0500
Subject: Re: Refuting the Peter Linz Halting Problem Proof --- Version(10) [
key missing piece in dialogue ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<t2l84o$12q$1@dont-email.me> <RNidnVr-m8VuutP_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<t2l9u5$s78$1@dont-email.me> <cvOdnRh1oMwrsNP_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<t2lbfp$l03$1@dont-email.me> <ddydnYa4KKXprtP_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<t2lchk$69m$1@dont-email.me> <ceydnd_Rxc-Xp9P_nZ2dnUU7_8xh4p2d@giganews.com>
<t2le3m$ucg$1@dont-email.me> <0Y-dnRfPMZwYoNP_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<t2lffh$m4b$1@dont-email.me> <-Y-dneOIwoko39P_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<t2lgpi$a5h$1@dont-email.me> <a6idnUCCo_-D1dP_nZ2dnUU7_81g4p2d@giganews.com>
<167d7f14-8a54-4f5b-8932-99236586786fn@googlegroups.com>
<m_-dnS8D686z1NP_nZ2dnUU7_8xh4p2d@giganews.com>
<2e2cf0ab-e246-40a9-9d2d-bd9bf5f65d62n@googlegroups.com>
<BPSdnVwEgvGa0tP_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<b047b854-fa33-4c83-9066-e9c196c6bebbn@googlegroups.com>
<ibidnd7EQLcez9P_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<3d6fb15e-b313-4d09-86ed-595ab8784ce5n@googlegroups.com>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 03:55 UTC

On 4/6/2022 10:27 PM, Dennis Bush wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 6, 2022 at 10:55:06 PM UTC-4, olcott wrote:

>>> And that sequence of configurations is H^ applied to <H^> as per the stipulative definition of a halt decider:
>> The actual sequence of configurations specified by these three is not
>> the same thus the behavior can vary.
>>
>> H ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩
>> Ĥ ⟨Ĥ⟩
>> embedded_H ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩
>> You can simply assume that they must be the same, yet when you list them
>> you can see that they are not the same.
>
> By definition the input to H and embedded_H is the representation of Ĥ ⟨Ĥ⟩

None-the-less the above three are not the same sequence of steps and
this directly causes a significant difference in their behavior.

It is simpler to understand that this is the only thing that matters:

It is the case that the correctly simulated input to embedded_H can
never possibly reach its own final state under any condition at all.
Therefore embedded_H is necessarily correct to reject its input.

Even if you simply assume that it is not true:

You can verify the correctness of my reasoning by simply seeing what
this would prove if it was true. If embedded_H correctly decides ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩
then it refutes what Linz said was impossible.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Refuting the Peter Linz Halting Problem Proof --- Version(10) [ key

By: olcott on Sun, 3 Apr 2022

54olcott