Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 00:39:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Annotated version of SRT
From: film...@gmail.com (JanPB)
 by: JanPB - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 07:39 UTC

On Thursday, March 31, 2022 at 10:37:59 PM UTC-7, Thomas Heger wrote:
> Am 31.03.2022 um 09:14 schrieb JanPB:

> >> I have given you already the example, that many anolg measuring devices
> >> work with deformable springs, which emasure ultimatively a force.
> >>
> >> But still you must not add or subtract different units,
> >
> > They are not different units in the Gaussian system.
> >
> >> like pressure
> >> and weigth,
> >
> > N/A. Learn about X if you want to discuss X (esp. if you want to
> > criticise X).
> >
> >> for instance, even if a pressure gauge and a kitchen scale
> >> work with a spring.
> >>
> >> It is fantastically stupid nonsese to even advocate such use of values.
> >
> > No. You simply don't understand how this works. Some people, when
> > they don't understand something, tend to blame everyone but themselves
> > for this. I cannot fix this problem for you.
> I understand, that magnetic field and electric field have different
> effects, hence are different things, even if related.
>
> So: I cannot subtract 1 amp from 1 Volt, because that does not make much
> more sense then subtraction weigth from pressure.

You don't subtract 1 A from 1 V.

> Both fields are related, but actually different things.
>
> Now Einstein used magnetic field strength in the z-direction callen 'N'
> and subtracted an electric field strength called 'Y' from that (times a
> real valued factor v/c).

It's not Einstein, and it's not even Lorentz (who started it), it's simply
the mathematics of Maxwell's equations.

> I have asked the question, how this equation is related to physical reality.
>
> Now you replied, that electric and magnetic 'force' have the same units

Not force but force per charge.

> in the cgs system (these units are called 'dyne') and therefore might be
> subtracted.
>
> To me this is total nonsense. Actually the term 'force' was already
> wrong, because actually meant was 'field strength'.

Well, this is basic physics. Although units can be a notoriously confusing
subject. Just ask a mathematician what the units of Riemann curvature are :-)

> That 19th century physics didn't know better would not count as an excuse.

It did know better, this part is exactly the same today.

> >> Actually it did bother me, that Einstein tried to subtract electric from
> >> magnetic field strength,
> >
> > So why it doesn't bother you when Lorentz does exactly the same?
> Lorentz and his books and papers were not my topic.

But then you cannot write notes singling out Einstein. If you want your
notes to have any meaning, you have to find out the actual layout of
the land so to speak.

> If Einstein wanted to incorporate some parts from Lorentz' works into
> his own paper, he had to write quotes (what he didn't).

No. That's not how science papers work in general. Authors of course
may do this sort of thing but the appropriateness of it in a particular
instance is 100% the author's discretion. In cases where this sort of
thing is truly misleading, the reviewers will point it out.

> occasionally means the cross from the cross product and not the letter x.

> >> Actually I have read a book of Maxwell and was not able to find the
> >> equations Einstein used.
> >
> > The transformed E and B fields were derived by Lorentz, not Maxwell.
> > Einstein only re-derived them to demonstrate the power of his new approach.
> ???
>
> Actually Maxwell was the guy, who developed the equations, that were
> named after him, not Hendrik Lorentz half a century later.

Lookslike we are talking past each other. I was referring to the transformed
E and B fields which are Lorentz's work.

> >> So, he had apparently other sources, but didn't consider it necessary to
> >> inform the reader, which his sources were.
> >
> > It's obvious what his sources were: Lorentz's big paper from the
> > previous year.
> 'Obvious' is an illegal phrase in theoretical physics.

No, it's a standard procedure. It is simply not required to state the
obvious things. In a math research paper about PDEs the author is
not going to say what derivative is. Etc.

> >> Don't you think it would be nice to know, WHICH textbook Einstein used?
> >
> > No. This is a research paper, not a textbook. The reader knows exactly
> > where the previous stuff comes from.
> 'Textbook' is not meant as equivalent to 'book printed on paper'.
>
> I prefer the simple phrase 'text', which is applicable to any kind of
> written material, on whatever medium.

Either way, it was perfectly standard for Einstein not to mention it.

> >> I think, it is in fact an issue!
> >>
> >> Actually Einstein mentioned Heinrich Hertz and his adaptation of
> >> Maxwell's equation.
> >>
> >> As far as I can tell, Herth did that and developed an own form of
> >> Maxwell's equations. But Hertz died young and his version got more or
> >> less lost.
> >>
> >> Now it is hard to say, to what Einstein actually referred with his
> >> equations.
> >
> > Einstein just wrote Maxwell's equations.
> 'Maxwell's equation's' (as we know them today) were actually not
> written by Maxwell himself.

True but irrelevant. He simply wrote Maxwell's equations as they
were known at the time of publication (Lorentz did the same in his paper).

> The origional 20 quaternion equations of Maxwell were altered by a guy
> named Heaviside after Maxwell died.
>
> Such equations should therefore bear the name 'Heaviside equations'.

No.

> Now you argue, that this is actually obvious to the intended audience of
> professional physicists.
>
> Therefore you should be able to tell me the source and provide a
> reference to the quoted material.

No. It would be obvious to you if you were a part of the intended audience.

> >> I have read, the Hertz Ansatz used total derivatives, while Einstein
> >> wrote partial differential equation.
> >
> > This is irrelevant.
> Not at all.
>
> If the 'Hertz ansatz' is actually quoted correctly, than everything is
> ok, otherwise not.

Irrelevant.

--
Jan