Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 11:23:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: How Do You Guarantee that Both Observers are Using the Same Units?
From: patdo...@comcast.net (patdolan)
 by: patdolan - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 18:23 UTC

On Friday, April 15, 2022 at 10:30:55 AM UTC-7, bodk...@gmail.com wrote:
> patdolan <patd...@comcast.net> wrote:

> >> That may be what YOU mean by it. But that has NO BEARING whatsoever to the
> >> coordinates x, x’, t, and t’ in the Lorentz transforms, which are in fact
> >> coordinates of EVENTS, not time-dependent coordinates of observers. And
> >> with those coordinates, ∆x, ∆t, ∆x', ∆t' are coordinate differences
> >> between PAIRS OF EVENTS, which are in fact arbitrary.
> >>
> >> When you conflate these two, that’s what goes into your “demonstration”,
> >> which demonstrates nothing other than that you don’t know what those
> >> variables denote.
> >
> > Well, Bodkin my boy, there is an easy way to settle this. PROVE to Carlo
> > and I that v == v in S' and in S. Or else admit that it is sine qua non
> > assumption of the LTs.
> I did this for you already, a few months ago.
> In fact, I proved that if S’ moves at v relative to S, then S moves at -v
> relative to S’ using the Lorentz transforms.

So what? You proved a third observer s' ' in S' ' finds that v = -v for s and s'. But that does not cut it in the LTs. You didn't even prove that.. A thorough search of this forum finds no well formed strings of algebra with v==v as the your final line. You just assumed it to be true [ although it is easily proved by s' ' in S' ' ].

On the other hand, I deductively and validly proved that s in S will always calculate that v == c for s' in S'. And I have the algebra--just a few posts north of this one.

Apologies to Ricardo for referring to him a few times as Carlo.

> Unlike you, I do not feel the need to repeat myself 18 times for someone
> who is not paying attention or who does not remember clearly what was said
> even the day before because of a pounding hangover today. You are using a
> medium that both archives and supports advanced searching. It’s a little
> like reading a book, Pat. If you are on page 255 and forgot what was
> explained on page 93, then you can turn back to page 93 rather than hoping
> that the author is going to repeat it again for you on page 255.
>
> If your response is, “Too much work, couldn’t be bothered, don’t care
> anyway,” then of course this will define all your posts and greatly reduce
> the interest in responding to you in any substantive way beyond gentle
> mockery.
>
> The FIRST thing you could do that would be constructive would be to say, if
> to no one else but yourself, “OK, so I wasn’t getting the meaning of the
> variables right. If they’re event coordinates, then what does this ‘event’
> thing even mean?” That might inspire you to actually pick up a book like
> Spacetime Physics and learn something.
>
> Or possibly, “Too much work, couldn’t be bothered, don’t care anyway.”
>
> Your choice.
> >>
> >> And the fact that you still consider it a “stunning” demonstration, without
> >> even COMPREHENDING that you have made a bonehead error, attests further to
> >> the inanity of you repeating it over and over and over again, so that at
> >> least 18 people can tell you that you’re being an idiot.

> >> --
> >> Odd Bodkin -- maker of fine toys, tools, tables
> >

> --
> Odd Bodkin -- maker of fine toys, tools, tables

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o How Do You Guarantee that Both Observers are Using the Same Units?

By: Ricardo Jimenez on Fri, 15 Apr 2022

64Ricardo Jimenez