Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 10:03:14 -0700
From: starma...@ix.netcom.com (The Starmaker)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Subject: Re: Tricky questions: How old is each planet? What happened with the 5th. planet?
 by: The Starmaker - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 17:03 UTC

The Starmaker wrote:

> [...]
> > > a meeting of the International Astronomical Union (IAU) in Prague.
> > >
> > > "I'm embarassed for astornomy," said Alan Stern, leader of NASA's New
> > > Horizon's mission to Pluto and a scientist at the Southwest Research
> > > Institute. "Less than 5 percent of the world's astronomers voted."
> > >
> > > "This definition stinks, for technical reasons," Stern told SPACE.com.
> > >
> > > The vote was scheduled at the end of a 10 day conference in Prague when
> > > almost everyone had left. Only 424 of nearly 10,000 members remained.
> > >
> > > IAU President, Ronald d. Ekers, opened the session stating that the IAU
> > > was asked to act on the planet definition issue. He stressed that prior
> > > proposals were delayed because cultural and popular issues needed to be
> > > considered.
> > >
> > > Ekers stated that this was not just a scientific debate and that the
> > > issue cannot be resolved by science alone. "This is not just a
> > > scientific issue of what is correct. There is no correct answer to this
> > > question."
> > >
> > > "The question is; what is a sensible compromise that will not just work
> > > for the professionals in the field but will work for everybody who is
> > > interested the sky, the planets, is curious, is educating and so on."
> > >
> > > After Mr. Ekers and a panel member read two overwhelmingly positive and
> > > zero dissenting messages from colleagues on the pending resolutions he
> > > called for a show of hands however; 15 IAU members stepped forward to
> > > speak. The first 14 speakers were dissenting, and generally cut off by
> > > Mr. Ekers. The contentious and angry dissention included voters "not
> > > being properly consulted" and receiving the changed resolutions "just
> > > now as entering the session."
> > >
> > > The response from Ekers; "the last step of the proposals was done in
> > > secret to keep them from the press." It seems that a lot of people were
> > > interested in this outcome and were getting in the way of the desired
> > > outcome of the rogue scientists.
> > >
> > > These IAU members strongly dissented stating that the decision to vote
> > > was rushed, more debate needs to take place, the vote should be
> > > postponed and that "what was being presented was an insult to the entire
> > > astronomical institution."
> > >
> > > The 15th and final speaker was recognized and stated that he was no
> > > scientist but that he wanted to say that the committee was doing a great
> > > job.
> > >
> > > A movement by prominent scientists to meet mid-2007 to organize an
> > > electronic vote by the full membership did not succeed.
> > >
> > > IAU President, Ronald d. Ekers is the motherfucker. A crank.
> >
> > Of course, IAU President, Ronald d. Ekers doesn't want electronic voting...
> >
> > https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81m1ZFcggzL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
>
> A movement by prominent scientists to organize an electronic vote by the full membership did not succeed not
> because they weren't smart enough, but simply they weren't...tough enough.
>
> There is only one way to handle a union boss IAU President, Ronald d. Ekers..

So, if you ask IAU President, Ronald d. Ekers 'what is the definition of a planet' he's tell you...

"There is no correct answer to this question."

Translation: "GO FUCK YOURSELF!"

> --
> The Starmaker -- To question the unquestionable, ask the unaskable,
> to think the unthinkable, mention the unmentionable, say the unsayable, and challenge
> the unchallengeable.

to think the unthinkable, mention the unmentionable, say the unsayable, and challenge
the unchallengeable.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Tricky questions: How old is each planet? What happened with the 5th. planet?

By: Richard Hertz on Tue, 19 Apr 2022

71Richard Hertz