From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
Subject: Re: Reasoning from first principles
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 23:17:59 -0600
<W_udnZVYeN8Ny4n_nZ2dnUU7-QOdnZ2d@giganews.com> <sv1lod$t7c$1@dont-email.me>
<sv1n66$pr1$1@dont-email.me> <sv1ode$1uqm$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<sv1p4f$u7q$1@dont-email.me> <sv1pc2$2vc$1@dont-email.me>
<VWZQJ.24028$jxu4.7636@fx02.iad> <sv1qr4$u1e$1@dont-email.me>
<sv2lpc$8dp$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sv41id$ael$1@dont-email.me>
<tzgRJ.79673$H_t7.21565@fx40.iad>
<3vSdnWSs66fpBYj_nZ2dnUU7-K_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<IbhRJ.72914$iK66.53430@fx46.iad>
<VKCdnYBlY7RQN4j_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sv4f9r$v12$1@dont-email.me>
 by: olcott - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 05:17 UTC

On 2/22/2022 11:04 PM, André G. Isaak wrote:

>>> Again, he is presupposing that True only means provable.
>>>
>>> His Quote that you highlight:
>>>
>>> 'True in Russell's system' means, as was said: proved in Russell's
>>> system; and 'false in Russell's system' means:the opposite has been
>>> proved in Russell's system
>>>
>>> is not a correct statement.
>> So then what could 'True in Russell's system' mean ???
>
> You'd have to ask Wittgenstein that.
>
> You'd also have to ask him why he felt this had any relevance to Gödel's
> Theorem since Gödel's paper doesn't use the expression 'True in
> Russell's System'. In fact, it does not mention or discuss truth at all.
>
> As has been pointed out to you, the Wittgenstein quote you are so
> enamoured with was taken from a set of notebooks which were never
> intended for publication. They were essentially Wittgenstein 'thinking
> out loud', and contain both worthwhile ideas which he later expanded
> upon and published as well as half-baked ideas which he clearly came up
> with before his morning coffee.
>
> We'll never know how Wittgenstein came to view this particular paragraph
> if he later revisited it, but there are two things of which we are
> absolutely certain.
>
> (1) We know the comment was written *BEFORE* Wittgenstein had actually
> read Gödel's paper, so it was based on some second-hand summary of the
> paper which he had encountered.
>
> (2) We know that Wittgenstein *DID* eventually read Gödel's paper, and
> that after reading it he did not make any attempt to publish this
> 'criticism' of Gödel, nor did he mention it again in any of his known
> notebooks.
>
> André

My view on Gödel is totally summed up by Wittgenstein.
I formed Wittgenstein's complete view long before I ever heard of him.

Note that Haskell Curry is quoted before Wittgenstein has a comparable
notion of what "true in a formal system" means.

Let 𝓣 be such a theory. Then the elementary statements which belong to
𝓣 we shall call the elementary theorems of 𝓣; we also say that these
elementary statements are true for 𝓣. Thus, given 𝓣, an elementary
theorem is an elementary statement which is true...

Olcott's true in a formal system 𝓣 is exactly Curry's elementary
theorems of 𝓣 and statements of 𝓣 derived by applying truth preserving
operations beginning with Curry's elementary theorems of 𝓣 as premises.

When you start with truth and only apply truth preserving operations you
always necessarily end up with truth.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see." Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Reasoning from first principles

By: olcott on Tue, 22 Feb 2022

104olcott