From: joegw...@comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: remote sense supply
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2022 16:12:26 -0400
References: <g4oe4htf7f80l08gj88so6q086sveaqspa@4ax.com> <japckpF9fc5U1@mid.individual.net> <17ve4h13svtuqm1gqv3f406llcj8sp9d00@4ax.com> <t29rkb$ege$1@dont-email.me> <87ug4h1f5odd0gvvvvm5ndcblqqcs1cepu@4ax.com> <t2a1cp$5kg$1@dont-email.me> <bt2h4hhdlhllu7d3sn2bboqtv3hr10r40n@4ax.com> <t2a578$ibd$1@dont-email.me> <bh6h4hd07fiftbshv23gsb2pomb0rnk629@4ax.com> <t2a7bm$ta0$1@dont-email.me> <u1dh4hh4m6sor9ua7pu4c1kg9pk8fsespr@4ax.com> <t2ahd2$4ro$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Joe Gwinn - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 20:12 UTC

On Sun, 3 Apr 2022 01:06:24 +0300, Dimiter_Popoff <dp@tgi-sci.com>
wrote:

>On 4/2/2022 23:50, Joe Gwinn wrote:
>> On Sat, 2 Apr 2022 22:15:00 +0300, Dimiter_Popoff <dp@tgi-sci.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Could be if it is a one time fee. Not sure what is in at the moment.
>>> But it started a long time ago so it is more likely to be the work
>>> of some 'visionary' to prevent the spread of knowledge which would
>>> cost them zillions. Look at how they closed down all things wifi,
>>> the first - prism or something - was documented etc. until it got
>>> bought out and hidden from there on. Even T10 started selling their
>>> documents many years ago... So far the rfc-s are not hidden, but for
>>> how long. Some Sauron seems to be be lurking in the shadows :-).
>>
>> A common problem.

>>> I am not concerned about our design critical stuff, it is all under
>>> dps. They got a foot in when xilinx bought the coolrunner some 20 years
>>> ago, we had a logic compiler I had written; the cpld-s we have now
>>> use an old xilinx tool, old enough to work with no internet.
>>
>> dps? Maybe Texas DPS?
>
>No, it is the OS run here, written/built on over the years by me.
>
>Just did a shot of what my screen can look like (usually not as
>cluttered):
>http://tgi-sci.com/misc/dps.gif

Ahh. That looks suspiciously like assembly code. The horror!

>>> Guess I'll try some of these (too?) new fpga-s out, once I have a
>>> working logic as I need it I typically don't need to change it for
>>> many years. They seem new enough to be yet preoccupied with how
>>> to change one time sales into subscription, guess we'll see.
>>> Their fpga-s look really good on paper for what I am after.
>>
>> I'd say that my system of the future is air-gapped, as it's too hard
>> to keep up with the threat of the day, so all Internet-dependent tools
>> are excluded from consideration, and see what happens. You may need
>> to stop talking to the sales droids to convince them that you mean it.
>
>I don't have the muscle to make them change policy so I try - have been
>doing if for nearly 30 years now - to just be independent on software
>written by anyone but me.

There are lots of customers with air-gapped systems. The point of the
query is to force the sales droid to tell you how to get that option,
or admit (through clenched teeth) that they do not support that
option.

> The one thing in our products we cannot
>reproduce without a wintel PC is a jedec file for a coolrunner CPLD,
>xilinx would not disclose its insides (we had a tool for it while
>it was Philips). Now I guess I'll settle for using someone else's
>fpga tool... Once I have the binary and a supply of silicon - which
>in our case it not large at all to be even a lifetime supply - I'll
>still have things under control I guess.

Hmm. War story: Twenty years ago, I worked with a small company
whose chief designer had been a cryptographer at NSA.

The FPGA design program (don't recall which one) did not allow one to
fix the identity and location of the I/O pins, so every FPGA program
spin randomly scrambled the pins, which raised havoc with the PC board
layout, and so on. The FPGA design program had closed file formats,
so the designer could not manually force things.

So the designer's inner cryptographer came out - he cracked the file
format, if I recall using differential cryptanalysis methods, and then
he could manually edit the files to maintain pin locations from spin
to spin.

..<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_cryptanalysis>

>> War story: In the early 1980s the transition to UNIX operating
>> systems and computer platforms began. I was assailed with sales teams
>> trying to convince me that their proprietary computer platform was so
>> much better than those UNIX toys that no real man would consider UNIX.
>> My answer was to take them on a tour of a storage room that was piled
>> to the ceiling with the boxes that a few hundred UNIX computers had
>> come in (being saved for delivery to the ultimate customer), and
>> intoning that this was the future. None of those proprietary vendors
>> survive.
>
>Well unix is a huge thing of course, most of the internet protocols
>have been done under it etc., but I am no unix person. When I have to
>use a unix command line I manage just the basics, if man works it is
>better... I remember some 10 years back I was trying to make a laptop
>dual-boot (xp and linux) and sector 0 was constantly polluted.
>Luckily I had made a copy of it prior to that using a boot CD and
>dd... :-). Was nicely surprised you could do such things
>not only under dps (it is not called dd there, just copy to device
>in non-file mode, does the same).

Yeah. In those days, each OS assumed that it owned the world, and
would stomp anything else. It was not by intent, at least not
initially, because nobody was trying to implement dual boot, in turn
because it would be pointless, as each OS was written to a specific
instruction set architecture. The emergence of UNIX undermined that
simpler world.

Joe Gwinn

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o remote sense supply