From: joegw...@comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: remote sense supply
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 17:18:48 -0400
References: <japckpF9fc5U1@mid.individual.net> <17ve4h13svtuqm1gqv3f406llcj8sp9d00@4ax.com> <t29rkb$ege$1@dont-email.me> <87ug4h1f5odd0gvvvvm5ndcblqqcs1cepu@4ax.com> <t2a1cp$5kg$1@dont-email.me> <bt2h4hhdlhllu7d3sn2bboqtv3hr10r40n@4ax.com> <t2a578$ibd$1@dont-email.me> <bh6h4hd07fiftbshv23gsb2pomb0rnk629@4ax.com> <t2a7bm$ta0$1@dont-email.me> <u1dh4hh4m6sor9ua7pu4c1kg9pk8fsespr@4ax.com> <t2ahd2$4ro$1@dont-email.me> <bauj4hdffl1mgjphhr1va0s5c23frstmjp@4ax.com> <t2d29s$5il$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Joe Gwinn - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 21:18 UTC

On Mon, 4 Apr 2022 00:07:07 +0300, Dimiter_Popoff <dp@tgi-sci.com>
wrote:

>On 4/3/2022 23:12, Joe Gwinn wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Apr 2022 01:06:24 +0300, Dimiter_Popoff <dp@tgi-sci.com>
>> wrote:

>>> No, it is the OS run here, written/built on over the years by me.
>>>
>>> Just did a shot of what my screen can look like (usually not as
>>> cluttered):
>>> http://tgi-sci.com/misc/dps.gif
>>
>> Ahh. That looks suspiciously like assembly code. The horror!
>
>It sort of is - but is meant to not be tied to a specific architecture.
>And it lets me do a lot of things I haven't seen done elsewhere (so I
>implemented them into my tool when I needed them).
>Has my life been/is it "the horror"? Probably.

>>> I don't have the muscle to make them change policy so I try - have been
>>> doing if for nearly 30 years now - to just be independent on software
>>> written by anyone but me.
>>
>> There are lots of customers with air-gapped systems. The point of the
>> query is to force the sales droid to tell you how to get that option,
>> or admit (through clenched teeth) that they do not support that
>> option.
>>

>>> The one thing in our products we cannot
>>> reproduce without a wintel PC is a jedec file for a coolrunner CPLD,
>>> xilinx would not disclose its insides (we had a tool for it while
>>> it was Philips). Now I guess I'll settle for using someone else's
>>> fpga tool... Once I have the binary and a supply of silicon - which
>>> in our case it not large at all to be even a lifetime supply - I'll
>>> still have things under control I guess.
>>
>> Hmm. War story: Twenty years ago, I worked with a small company
>> whose chief designer had been a cryptographer at NSA.
>>
>> The FPGA design program (don't recall which one) did not allow one to
>> fix the identity and location of the I/O pins, so every FPGA program
>> spin randomly scrambled the pins, which raised havoc with the PC board
>> layout, and so on. The FPGA design program had closed file formats,
>> so the designer could not manually force things.
>>
>> So the designer's inner cryptographer came out - he cracked the file
>> format, if I recall using differential cryptanalysis methods, and then
>> he could manually edit the files to maintain pin locations from spin
>> to spin.
>>
>> .<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_cryptanalysis>
>
>I had a similar wartime story some 20+ years ago for the
>Philips coolrunner.
>I thught I had all the data to write the logic compiler for it so I
>designed it in. Then discovered they had not given me the multiplexor
>data... good luck doing it without that.

Classic trapping maneuver.

>So I wrote a tool and multiple simple sources for their tool and
>from the jedecs they generated gradually deciphered the multiplexor.

Yep. This is also a form of differential cryptanalysis. At NSA, they
would use a big computer and a lot of permutation matrix math to solve
for the wiring diagrams.

Like Gordon Welchman and Hut 6, as discussed on SED some time ago.

>Took me about a month of work...

I don't know how long it took the FPGA designer, but probably much
less. I don't think the files were encrypted or anything of the kind.
Just obscure and undocumented.

>I think I still have that mux decode data online, let me see...
>I do, <http://tgi-sci.com/misc/ziarev.txt>.
>And one of the coolrunners I did with my logic compiler using it
>back then: <http://tgi-sci.com/misc/mb2ata.txt>

Trans Galactic. There's gotta be a warp drive in there somewhere.

Joe Gwinn

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o remote sense supply

By: John Larkin on Fri, 1 Apr 2022