From: jlar...@highland_atwork_technology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Error correction in short packet.
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 17:05:42 -0700
References: <jelrp6F66fiU1@mid.individual.net> <t650re$76f$1@dont-email.me> <t65etp$boo$1@gioia.aioe.org> <nalc8ht3kb9euvbqgskvknklakc0oakkpb@4ax.com> <69e5ec0a-ba86-4e49-aafb-f8a65998ef4cn@googlegroups.com> <ksmc8hpu9r3f9d9l6i0id6p1888oajvc59@4ax.com> <t65mrr$bup$1@gioia.aioe.org> <t667g0$gi8$1@gioia.aioe.org> <7c35a0c1-4c7a-e2f2-d6f8-8df6aaa9636e@electrooptical.net> <jmgd8hh6svfl3v2scs41tuqgtp2mp70apc@4ax.com> <d6078414-9523-808f-5f33-c5ac4bd7419a@electrooptical.net>
 by: John Larkin - Fri, 20 May 2022 00:05 UTC

On Thu, 19 May 2022 19:12:20 -0400, Phil Hobbs

> [...]
>>>
>>> They just trying things randomly until they ran through the client's
>>> money and then quit. One time when I pinged them about it, a bright lad
>>> smiled and said, "That's engineering!"
>>>
>>> Riiighhhtt.
>>>
>>> But a lot, a lot of people seem to have very little emotional tolerance
>>> for being in a state of uncertainty. I can't prove that, but over and
>>> over I've seen folks spend far too little time turning the problem over
>>> in their minds, talking at the white board, and so on, and just charging
>>> in and doing the first thing that seemed plausible.
>>
>> Yes. Uncertainty makes many people uncomfortable, so they lock down an
>> architecture as soon as they can. I've seen horrors.
>>

>>> That's super dumb. At the beginning of the process, you have to
>>> cultivate offbeat ideas, because (at least in the sort of gizmos I
>>> build) there's usually some way to do the task much better and/or
>>> cheaper than what's out there.
>>>
>>> In general you should spend something like 10% of the time figuring out
>>> what you should build, and the rest designing and building it. Skimping
>>> on the one very often leads to poor results on the other.
>>
>> Brainstorming and a period of confusion can often greatly simplify the
>> design, or add nifty features. It's well worth the tradeoff.
>>
>> Design is a partly emotional process, which lots of engineers don't
>> want to admit either.
>>

>One time long ago, I was in a two-day class for OS/2 Presentation
>Manager programming. (I did say it was long ago.) ;)
>
>At one point, the presenter (who was actually very good) asked us two
>questions: Is design an art or a science? What about debugging?
>
>Just about everyone said that design was a science and debugging was an
>art. That's backwards.
>
>A design is done when the designer says it's done, generally including a
>good long list of checks for performance, DRC, EMI, ROHS, MIL HDBK 217,
>ad nauseam. There are nearly always a ridiculously large number of
>different ways to do the job, if you count all the combinations. That
>makes it an art.
>
>On the other hand, troubleshooting is definitely a science. There's a
>problem someplace, because this item doesn't behave like the N previous
>ones that worked. You find it by applying critical tests and reasoning
>about them, and when the problem is found and fixed, everyone can agree
>that it's gone.
>
>Debugging first articles is a bit of both, because you often find design
>screwups (hopefully minor). In my world that often includes
>layout-dependent stuff such as how high a current can you run through
>your 12 GHz pHEMT or 45-GHz SiGe BJT before it becomes unstable.
>Swapping out jumpers for beads, tweaking current sources, that sort of
>stuff.
>
>In rare instances it's something really stupid such as upside-down power
>supplies on an op amp, but normally the first articles are shippable

After some years, we have evolved procedures that mostly prevent
getting V+ and V- swapped on opamps.

>We have had the occasional disaster, such as a small module with three
>SMPSes on it to make several rails from a +24V wall wart. The negative
>rails were made by an AOZ1282 async buck running off the output of an
>LMR23630 sync buck (+13 -> -12 and +24 ->+13, respectively).
>
>The A-O part is generally super well behaved, but the two together
>produced a _ridiculous_ selection of high harmonics of the LMR23630's
>2.15 MHz switching frequency. It was the stuff of nightmares--measuring
>one node produced a big peak at 182 MHz, and another one nearby had
>another peak at 121 MHz, selected by various incidental resonances.
>
>With that one, we just cut our losses. ;(
>
>Cheers
>
>Phil Hobbs

We recently had an LTM8078 "Silent Switcher" screaming at us in 400
MHz bursts at 2.5 MHz. The embarassing part was that the customer
discovered it. Oops.

A nice ancient National 50 KHz Simple Switcher fixed that, with a
board spin of course. And gigantic inductors.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ah90qsi0007ymjv/Mon_Noise_2.jpg?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9grk3iqwzifmw6w/Mon_Noise_LTM8078.jpg?raw=1

--

If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end with doubts,
but if he will be content to begin with doubts he shall end in certainties.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Error correction in short packet.

By: Clive Arthur on Wed, 18 May 2022

72Clive Arthur