arts / rec.arts.tv / [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayRhino
+* Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayDimensional Traveler
|`* Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayRhino
| +* Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayRhino
| |+* Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayshawn
| ||+- Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayanim8rfsk
| ||`* Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayanim8rfsk
| || `* Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayBTR1701
| ||  `* Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayanim8rfsk
| ||   +* Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayBTR1701
| ||   |`- Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayanim8rfsk
| ||   `* Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the daysuper70s
| ||    +* Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayBTR1701
| ||    |+- Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayshawn
| ||    |`- Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the daytrotsky
| ||    +- Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayRhino
| ||    `* Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the daysuzeeq
| ||     `* Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayBTR1701
| ||      +* Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the daysuzeeq
| ||      |`* Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayBTR1701
| ||      | `- Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the daytrotsky
| ||      +* Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayanim8rfsk
| ||      |`* Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayBTR1701
| ||      | +- Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayanim8rfsk
| ||      | `- Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the daytrotsky
| ||      `- Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the daytrotsky
| |+- Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the daysuzeeq
| |`- Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayThe Horny Goat
| `* Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayanim8rfsk
|  +* Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayRhino
|  |+* Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayshawn
|  ||+- Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayanim8rfsk
|  ||`- Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayRhino
|  |+* Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayBTR1701
|  ||`- Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayRhino
|  |`* Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayanim8rfsk
|  | `* Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayRhino
|  |  `- Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayanim8rfsk
|  `* Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayshawn
|   `- Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayanim8rfsk
+- Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the daytrotsky
`- Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the dayVlady Jordan@GitmoCincyChiliTent

Pages:12
[OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day

<tb2gq8$3eu1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147548&group=rec.arts.tv#147548

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 22:33:41 -0400
 by: Rhino - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 02:33 UTC

It seems an armed bystander kept a mall shooting in Indiana from being
worse today:

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/local/multiple-victims-reported-in-shooting-at-greenwood-park-mall/531-df15bbf5-8eca-4220-b149-7de4735fbe37

I can already imagine how the anti-gun people will perform incredible
feats of acrobatics to try to pooh-pooh the good deed done by this
passerby and say it is meaningless.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day

<tb2mdo$4kf1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147559&group=rec.arts.tv#147559

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 21:09:31 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 04:09 UTC

On 7/17/2022 7:33 PM, Rhino wrote:
> It seems an armed bystander kept a mall shooting in Indiana from being
> worse today:
>
> https://www.wthr.com/article/news/local/multiple-victims-reported-in-shooting-at-greenwood-park-mall/531-df15bbf5-8eca-4220-b149-7de4735fbe37
>

> I can already imagine how the anti-gun people will perform incredible
> feats of acrobatics to try to pooh-pooh the good deed done by this
> passerby and say it is meaningless.

You mean like "Why was he carrying a loaded shotgun in a mall in the
first place?" :P

dirty old man.

Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day

<tb2v3m$1au7$11@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147589&group=rec.arts.tv#147589

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 01:37:42 -0500
 by: trotsky - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 06:37 UTC

On 7/17/2022 9:33 PM, Rhino wrote:
> It seems an armed bystander kept a mall shooting in Indiana from being
> worse today:

Wow, a shooting 'not getting worse' is quite a triumph for the 2nd
Amendment.

Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day

<tb3ouu$cjtq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147628&group=rec.arts.tv#147628

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 09:58:50 -0400
 by: Rhino - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 13:58 UTC

On 2022-07-18 12:09 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 7/17/2022 7:33 PM, Rhino wrote:
>> It seems an armed bystander kept a mall shooting in Indiana from being
>> worse today:
>>
>> https://www.wthr.com/article/news/local/multiple-victims-reported-in-shooting-at-greenwood-park-mall/531-df15bbf5-8eca-4220-b149-7de4735fbe37
>>

>> I can already imagine how the anti-gun people will perform incredible
>> feats of acrobatics to try to pooh-pooh the good deed done by this
>> passerby and say it is meaningless.
>>
> You mean like "Why was he carrying a loaded shotgun in a mall in the
> first place?"  :P

"Police said the shooter had a long rifle and several magazines of
ammo." I'm far from a gun expert but I don't think shotguns normally
(ever?) use magazines so it probably wasn't a shotgun that he was
carrying. As to whether the weapon was being carried loaded, that isn't
clear. Perhaps it was unloaded but when the bystander saw the situation
unfolding, he loaded the weapon to engage the shooter. The bystander may
have been carrying the weapon into a gun store or firing range in the
mall on a totally innocent errand for all we know.

I have no idea what the gun regulations are in Indiana. Do they have
"open carry"? If so, it might have been completely normal and legal for
him to carry a loaded rifle even in a mall.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day

<tb3pcv$cmj4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147629&group=rec.arts.tv#147629

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 10:06:22 -0400
 by: Rhino - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 14:06 UTC

On 2022-07-18 9:58 AM, Rhino wrote:
> On 2022-07-18 12:09 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> On 7/17/2022 7:33 PM, Rhino wrote:
>>> It seems an armed bystander kept a mall shooting in Indiana from
>>> being worse today:
>>>
>>> https://www.wthr.com/article/news/local/multiple-victims-reported-in-shooting-at-greenwood-park-mall/531-df15bbf5-8eca-4220-b149-7de4735fbe37
>>>

>>> I can already imagine how the anti-gun people will perform incredible
>>> feats of acrobatics to try to pooh-pooh the good deed done by this
>>> passerby and say it is meaningless.
>>>
>> You mean like "Why was he carrying a loaded shotgun in a mall in the
>> first place?"  :P
>>
> "Police said the shooter had a long rifle and several magazines of
> ammo." I'm far from a gun expert but I don't think shotguns normally
> (ever?) use magazines so it probably wasn't a shotgun that he was
> carrying. As to whether the weapon was being carried loaded, that isn't
> clear. Perhaps it was unloaded but when the bystander saw the situation
> unfolding, he loaded the weapon to engage the shooter. The bystander may
> have been carrying the weapon into a gun store or firing range in the
> mall on a totally innocent errand for all we know.
>
> I have no idea what the gun regulations are in Indiana. Do they have
> "open carry"? If so, it might have been completely normal and legal for
> him to carry a loaded rifle even in a mall.

Hold the phone! I've just reread the paragraph I quoted here and it was
the KILLER who had the long gun; elsewhere the article says the
bystander (probably) had a handgun. Again, the shooter carrying a long
gun - rifle or shotgun - might have been entirely legal and normal right
up until he started shooting it at people.

And yes, I expect I would be decidedly uneasy if I saw someone in a mall
carrying any weapon openly but then I'm Canadian and the majority of
Canadians probably find the sight of a visible gun uncomfortable
anywhere other than the holster of a uniformed police officer. But then
we don't have anything equivalent to the Second Amendment here.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day

<o9radhtvp35m886020gfbc7hdaiois6ftl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147631&group=rec.arts.tv#147631

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 10:28:04 -0400
 by: shawn - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 14:28 UTC

On Mon, 18 Jul 2022 10:06:22 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>On 2022-07-18 9:58 AM, Rhino wrote:

>>> You mean like "Why was he carrying a loaded shotgun in a mall in the
>>> first place?"  :P
>>>
>> "Police said the shooter had a long rifle and several magazines of
>> ammo." I'm far from a gun expert but I don't think shotguns normally
>> (ever?) use magazines so it probably wasn't a shotgun that he was
>> carrying. As to whether the weapon was being carried loaded, that isn't
>> clear. Perhaps it was unloaded but when the bystander saw the situation
>> unfolding, he loaded the weapon to engage the shooter. The bystander may
>> have been carrying the weapon into a gun store or firing range in the
>> mall on a totally innocent errand for all we know.
>>
>> I have no idea what the gun regulations are in Indiana. Do they have
>> "open carry"? If so, it might have been completely normal and legal for
>> him to carry a loaded rifle even in a mall.
>>
>Hold the phone! I've just reread the paragraph I quoted here and it was
>the KILLER who had the long gun; elsewhere the article says the
>bystander (probably) had a handgun. Again, the shooter carrying a long
>gun - rifle or shotgun - might have been entirely legal and normal right
>up until he started shooting it at people.

As I understand it there was a recent change in the law which made
open carry legal. So while it may have been legal to do so I don't
expect many people walked around with weapons openly displayed.

>And yes, I expect I would be decidedly uneasy if I saw someone in a mall
>carrying any weapon openly but then I'm Canadian and the majority of
>Canadians probably find the sight of a visible gun uncomfortable
>anywhere other than the holster of a uniformed police officer. But then
>we don't have anything equivalent to the Second Amendment here.

I'm an American and my dad had guns from as far back as I recall. That
said if I saw a guy walking around in a field with a gun I wouldn't
think twice. In a mall I'm definitely not going to want to be near him
unless he's some sort of LEO/security guard. It's all in the context
as I don't expect people to be openly carrying, especially any sort of
rifle in a mall.

Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day

<845616187.679846378.150987.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147634&group=rec.arts.tv#147634

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 08:11:21 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 15:11 UTC

> On 2022-07-18 12:09 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> On 7/17/2022 7:33 PM, Rhino wrote:
>>> It seems an armed bystander kept a mall shooting in Indiana from being
>>> worse today:
>>>
>>> https://www.wthr.com/article/news/local/multiple-victims-reported-in-shooting-at-greenwood-park-mall/531-df15bbf5-8eca-4220-b149-7de4735fbe37
>>>

>>> I can already imagine how the anti-gun people will perform incredible
>>> feats of acrobatics to try to pooh-pooh the good deed done by this
>>> passerby and say it is meaningless.
>>>
>> You mean like "Why was he carrying a loaded shotgun in a mall in the
>> first place?"  :P
>>
> "Police said the shooter had a long rifle and several magazines of
> ammo." I'm far from a gun expert but I don't think shotguns normally
> (ever?) use magazines

Mine does. Standard one holds five rounds. They had a drum which held some
thing like 20 but they never actually shipped them because they couldn’t
get them to work reliably.

so it probably wasn't a shotgun that he was
> carrying. As to whether the weapon was being carried loaded, that isn't
> clear. Perhaps it was unloaded but when the bystander saw the situation
> unfolding, he loaded the weapon to engage the shooter. The bystander may
> have been carrying the weapon into a gun store or firing range in the
> mall on a totally innocent errand for all we know.
>
> I have no idea what the gun regulations are in Indiana. Do they have
> "open carry"? If so, it might have been completely normal and legal for
> him to carry a loaded rifle even in a mall.

Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day

<1555109221.679850012.430402.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147638&group=rec.arts.tv#147638

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 08:17:41 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 15:17 UTC

> On Mon, 18 Jul 2022 10:06:22 -0400, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>> "Police said the shooter had a long rifle and several magazines of
>>> ammo." I'm far from a gun expert but I don't think shotguns normally
>>> (ever?) use magazines so it probably wasn't a shotgun that he was
>>> carrying. As to whether the weapon was being carried loaded, that isn't
>>> clear. Perhaps it was unloaded but when the bystander saw the situation
>>> unfolding, he loaded the weapon to engage the shooter. The bystander may
>>> have been carrying the weapon into a gun store or firing range in the
>>> mall on a totally innocent errand for all we know.
>>>
>>> I have no idea what the gun regulations are in Indiana. Do they have
>>> "open carry"? If so, it might have been completely normal and legal for
>>> him to carry a loaded rifle even in a mall.
>>>
>> Hold the phone! I've just reread the paragraph I quoted here and it was
>> the KILLER who had the long gun; elsewhere the article says the
>> bystander (probably) had a handgun. Again, the shooter carrying a long
>> gun - rifle or shotgun - might have been entirely legal and normal right
>> up until he started shooting it at people.
>
> As I understand it there was a recent change in the law which made
> open carry legal. So while it may have been legal to do so I don't
> expect many people walked around with weapons openly displayed.
>
>> And yes, I expect I would be decidedly uneasy if I saw someone in a mall
>> carrying any weapon openly but then I'm Canadian and the majority of
>> Canadians probably find the sight of a visible gun uncomfortable
>> anywhere other than the holster of a uniformed police officer. But then
>> we don't have anything equivalent to the Second Amendment here.
>
> I'm an American and my dad had guns from as far back as I recall. That
> said if I saw a guy walking around in a field with a gun I wouldn't
> think twice. In a mall I'm definitely not going to want to be near him
> unless he's some sort of LEO/security guard. It's all in the context
> as I don't expect people to be openly carrying, especially any sort of
> rifle in a mall.

My office was right by a gun shop and between us there was a Dairy Queen so
I was always seeing people going around heeled.

Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day

<1844693357.679850116.184257.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147639&group=rec.arts.tv#147639

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 08:17:42 -0700

RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, 18 July 2022 at 10:28:09 UTC-4, shawn wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Jul 2022 10:06:22 -0400, Rhino
>> <no_offlin...@example.com> wrote:

>>> Hold the phone! I've just reread the paragraph I quoted here and it was
>>> the KILLER who had the long gun; elsewhere the article says the
>>> bystander (probably) had a handgun. Again, the shooter carrying a long
>>> gun - rifle or shotgun - might have been entirely legal and normal right
>>> up until he started shooting it at people.
>> As I understand it there was a recent change in the law which made
>> open carry legal. So while it may have been legal to do so I don't
>> expect many people walked around with weapons openly displayed.
>>> And yes, I expect I would be decidedly uneasy if I saw someone in a mall
>>> carrying any weapon openly but then I'm Canadian and the majority of
>>> Canadians probably find the sight of a visible gun uncomfortable
>>> anywhere other than the holster of a uniformed police officer. But then
>>> we don't have anything equivalent to the Second Amendment here.
>> I'm an American and my dad had guns from as far back as I recall. That
>> said if I saw a guy walking around in a field with a gun I wouldn't
>> think twice. In a mall I'm definitely not going to want to be near him
>> unless he's some sort of LEO/security guard. It's all in the context
>> as I don't expect people to be openly carrying, especially any sort of
>> rifle in a mall.
>
> I carried a rifle home on a bus on day as a teen, but that was before the vermin
> infestation in Toronto so no one cared.

Uber and lift not only won’t let you have guns they won’t even let you
transport them in a box.

Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day

<tb3tmf$caoh$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147641&group=rec.arts.tv#147641

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 08:19:42 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 15:19 UTC

On 7/18/2022 7:06 AM, Rhino wrote:
> On 2022-07-18 9:58 AM, Rhino wrote:

>>> You mean like "Why was he carrying a loaded shotgun in a mall in the
>>> first place?"  :P
>>>
>> "Police said the shooter had a long rifle and several magazines of
>> ammo." I'm far from a gun expert but I don't think shotguns normally
>> (ever?) use magazines so it probably wasn't a shotgun that he was
>> carrying. As to whether the weapon was being carried loaded, that
>> isn't clear. Perhaps it was unloaded but when the bystander saw the
>> situation unfolding, he loaded the weapon to engage the shooter. The
>> bystander may have been carrying the weapon into a gun store or firing
>> range in the mall on a totally innocent errand for all we know.
>>
>> I have no idea what the gun regulations are in Indiana. Do they have
>> "open carry"? If so, it might have been completely normal and legal
>> for him to carry a loaded rifle even in a mall.
>>
> Hold the phone! I've just reread the paragraph I quoted here and it was
> the KILLER who had the long gun; elsewhere the article says the
> bystander (probably) had a handgun. Again, the shooter carrying a long
> gun - rifle or shotgun - might have been entirely legal and normal right
> up until he started shooting it at people.
>
> And yes, I expect I would be decidedly uneasy if I saw someone in a mall
> carrying any weapon openly but then I'm Canadian and the majority of
> Canadians probably find the sight of a visible gun uncomfortable
> anywhere other than the holster of a uniformed police officer. But then
> we don't have anything equivalent to the Second Amendment here.

A lot of us down here do too.

Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day

<87vadhhnudphn288g7dpg8snt39pgh2qln@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147643&group=rec.arts.tv#147643

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 08:34:31 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 15:34 UTC

On Mon, 18 Jul 2022 10:06:22 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>And yes, I expect I would be decidedly uneasy if I saw someone in a mall
>carrying any weapon openly but then I'm Canadian and the majority of
>Canadians probably find the sight of a visible gun uncomfortable
>anywhere other than the holster of a uniformed police officer. But then
>we don't have anything equivalent to the Second Amendment here.

One of the first things I learned after I married was that my new wife
had a firearms acquisition certificate (required in purchase to
purchase a handgun in Canada and involved a police record check among
other things). Since the only gun I had ever handled was my father's
hunting rifle I was a bit taken aback as it's one helluva thing to
learn 2 days after your honeymoon (!) but she never felt the interest
to go back on the range again.

Guess I should have known as her uncle was an air force colonel.....

Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day

<tb3uvr$e3un$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147644&group=rec.arts.tv#147644

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 11:41:47 -0400
 by: Rhino - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 15:41 UTC

On 2022-07-18 11:11 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>> You mean like "Why was he carrying a loaded shotgun in a mall in the
>>> first place?"  :P
>>>
>> "Police said the shooter had a long rifle and several magazines of
>> ammo." I'm far from a gun expert but I don't think shotguns normally
>> (ever?) use magazines
>
> Mine does. Standard one holds five rounds. They had a drum which held some
> thing like 20 but they never actually shipped them because they couldn’t
> get them to work reliably.

I stand corrected! I've never seen or even heard of a shotgun that takes
a detachable magazine. What brand/model is it? I'd be interested in
seeing a video of it.

> so it probably wasn't a shotgun that he was
>> carrying. As to whether the weapon was being carried loaded, that isn't
>> clear. Perhaps it was unloaded but when the bystander saw the situation
>> unfolding, he loaded the weapon to engage the shooter. The bystander may
>> have been carrying the weapon into a gun store or firing range in the
>> mall on a totally innocent errand for all we know.
>>
>> I have no idea what the gun regulations are in Indiana. Do they have
>> "open carry"? If so, it might have been completely normal and legal for
>> him to carry a loaded rifle even in a mall.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day

<f33bdh9sh9g2vejrgiu977uqcrkue1p5mk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147647&group=rec.arts.tv#147647

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 12:40:16 -0400
 by: shawn - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 16:40 UTC

On Mon, 18 Jul 2022 08:11:21 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>> You mean like "Why was he carrying a loaded shotgun in a mall in the
>>> first place?"  :P
>>>
>> "Police said the shooter had a long rifle and several magazines of
>> ammo." I'm far from a gun expert but I don't think shotguns normally
>> (ever?) use magazines
>
>Mine does. Standard one holds five rounds. They had a drum which held some
>thing like 20 but they never actually shipped them because they couldn’t
>get them to work reliably.

Yeah, my dad's shotgun (the one that he had since as far back as I can
remember) was like that. A 12 gauge shotgun with multiple shots. I've
seen some of those drum designs in youtube videos but can't imagine
where someone would need something like that in real life.

> so it probably wasn't a shotgun that he was
>> carrying. As to whether the weapon was being carried loaded, that isn't
>> clear. Perhaps it was unloaded but when the bystander saw the situation
>> unfolding, he loaded the weapon to engage the shooter. The bystander may
>> have been carrying the weapon into a gun store or firing range in the
>> mall on a totally innocent errand for all we know.
>>
>> I have no idea what the gun regulations are in Indiana. Do they have
>> "open carry"? If so, it might have been completely normal and legal for
>> him to carry a loaded rifle even in a mall.

Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day

<haydna5b8c9YEEj_nZ2dnUU7-XOdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147648&group=rec.arts.tv#147648

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 11:43:49 -0500
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 16:43 UTC

On Jul 18, 2022 at 8:17:42 AM PDT, "anim8rfsk" <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Monday, 18 July 2022 at 10:28:09 UTC-4, shawn wrote:

>>> As I understand it there was a recent change in the law which made
>>> open carry legal. So while it may have been legal to do so I don't
>>> expect many people walked around with weapons openly displayed.
>>> I'm an American and my dad had guns from as far back as I recall. That
>>> said if I saw a guy walking around in a field with a gun I wouldn't
>>> think twice. In a mall I'm definitely not going to want to be near him
>>> unless he's some sort of LEO/security guard. It's all in the context
>>> as I don't expect people to be openly carrying, especially any sort of
>>> rifle in a mall.
>>
>> I carried a rifle home on a bus on day as a teen, but that was before the
>> vermin
>> infestation in Toronto so no one cared.
>>
> Uber and lift not only won’t let you have guns they won’t even let you
> transport them in a box.

I've got news for them...

Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day

<ia3bdhd8df17m1r41m5qdo2qpo6h551dc2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147649&group=rec.arts.tv#147649

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 12:46:14 -0400
 by: shawn - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 16:46 UTC

On Mon, 18 Jul 2022 11:41:47 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>On 2022-07-18 11:11 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>> "Police said the shooter had a long rifle and several magazines of
>>> ammo." I'm far from a gun expert but I don't think shotguns normally
>>> (ever?) use magazines
>>
>> Mine does. Standard one holds five rounds. They had a drum which held some
>> thing like 20 but they never actually shipped them because they couldn’t
>> get them to work reliably.
>>
>I stand corrected! I've never seen or even heard of a shotgun that takes
>a detachable magazine. What brand/model is it? I'd be interested in
>seeing a video of it.
>
>> so it probably wasn't a shotgun that he was
>>> carrying. As to whether the weapon was being carried loaded, that isn't
>>> clear. Perhaps it was unloaded but when the bystander saw the situation
>>> unfolding, he loaded the weapon to engage the shooter. The bystander may
>>> have been carrying the weapon into a gun store or firing range in the
>>> mall on a totally innocent errand for all we know.
>>>
>>> I have no idea what the gun regulations are in Indiana. Do they have
>>> "open carry"? If so, it might have been completely normal and legal for
>>> him to carry a loaded rifle even in a mall.

I was a bit confused in my other video as the shotgun wasn't mag fed
but a pump action. So it did have multiple shots but not from a
magazine.
Now if you want to see a magazine fed shotgun here is one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj6n1gPlGfA

And here is one that uses a drum for fast shooting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnrsvUanLfU

Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day

<f8ca9e07-074c-4088-9a0f-6021033a5a8fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147652&group=rec.arts.tv#147652

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 09:51:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: jgrov...@hotmail.com (Vlady Jordan@GitmoCincyChiliTent)
 by: Vlady Jordan@GitmoCi - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 16:51 UTC

On Sunday, July 17, 2022 at 9:33:50 PM UTC-5, Rhino wrote:
> It seems an armed bystander kept a mall shooting in Indiana from being
> worse today:
>
> https://www.wthr.com/article/news/local/multiple-victims-reported-in-shooting-at-greenwood-park-mall/531-df15bbf5-8eca-4220-b149-7de4735fbe37
>
> I can already imagine how the anti-gun people will perform incredible
> feats of acrobatics to try to pooh-pooh the good deed done by this
> passerby and say it is meaningless.
>
> --
> Rhino

Holy freeking shit. Only 3 dead at a Sunday mall outing. 2 injured for life. Good job Smith and Weston.

Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day

<xridnVSU3OVTEkj_nZ2dnUU7-ePNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147653&group=rec.arts.tv#147653

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 11:52:30 -0500
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 16:52 UTC

On Jul 18, 2022 at 8:41:47 AM PDT, "Rhino" <no_offline_contact@example.com>
wrote:

> On 2022-07-18 11:11 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>> "Police said the shooter had a long rifle and several magazines of
>>> ammo." I'm far from a gun expert but I don't think shotguns normally
>>> (ever?) use magazines
>>
>> Mine does. Standard one holds five rounds. They had a drum which held some
>> thing like 20 but they never actually shipped them because they couldn’t
>> get them to work reliably.
>>
> I stand corrected! I've never seen or even heard of a shotgun that takes
> a detachable magazine. What brand/model is it? I'd be interested in
> seeing a video of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uh3MuOq1LA

Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day

<788174715.679854882.229628.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147659&group=rec.arts.tv#147659

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 10:16:36 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 17:16 UTC

> On 2022-07-18 11:11 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>> "Police said the shooter had a long rifle and several magazines of
>>> ammo." I'm far from a gun expert but I don't think shotguns normally
>>> (ever?) use magazines
>>
>> Mine does. Standard one holds five rounds. They had a drum which held some
>> thing like 20 but they never actually shipped them because they couldn’t
>> get them to work reliably.
>>
> I stand corrected! I've never seen or even heard of a shotgun that takes
> a detachable magazine. What brand/model is it? I'd be interested in
> seeing a video of it.

Here’s an article about them in general. Mines closest to the first
picture:

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/the-top-5-magazine-fed-shotguns/

The YouTube returns lots of hits for

Mossberg 590M

Hey! Here’s an unboxing video for my actual weapon:

https://youtu.be/6wzPQlfVBWs

Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day

<1173300309.679857612.085992.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147662&group=rec.arts.tv#147662

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 10:31:54 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 17:31 UTC

> On Mon, 18 Jul 2022 08:11:21 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>> "Police said the shooter had a long rifle and several magazines of
>>> ammo." I'm far from a gun expert but I don't think shotguns normally
>>> (ever?) use magazines
>>
>> Mine does. Standard one holds five rounds. They had a drum which held some
>> thing like 20 but they never actually shipped them because they couldn’t
>> get them to work reliably.
>
> Yeah, my dad's shotgun (the one that he had since as far back as I can
> remember) was like that. A 12 gauge shotgun with multiple shots. I've
> seen some of those drum designs in youtube videos but can't imagine
> where someone would need something like that in real life.
>
>> so it probably wasn't a shotgun that he was
>>> carrying. As to whether the weapon was being carried loaded, that isn't
>>> clear. Perhaps it was unloaded but when the bystander saw the situation
>>> unfolding, he loaded the weapon to engage the shooter. The bystander may
>>> have been carrying the weapon into a gun store or firing range in the
>>> mall on a totally innocent errand for all we know.
>>>
>>> I have no idea what the gun regulations are in Indiana. Do they have
>>> "open carry"? If so, it might have been completely normal and legal for
>>> him to carry a loaded rifle even in a mall.

After Jake Paul and his BLM cronies took down fashion square mall, they
proceeded to march through the shopping district towards my office. The
only places they spared were the mom and pop shops were the owners were
sitting inside with the lights on and guns evident.

You better believe I want a 25 round hot-swappable drum magazine for that!
Hell, I’ll take a Gatling gun.

Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day

<1463446609.679857760.605349.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147663&group=rec.arts.tv#147663

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 10:31:55 -0700

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> On Jul 18, 2022 at 8:17:42 AM PDT, "anim8rfsk" <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I carried a rifle home on a bus on day as a teen, but that was before the
>> vermin
>>> infestation in Toronto so no one cared.
>>>
>> Uber and lift not only won’t let you have guns they won’t even let you
>> transport them in a box.
>
> I've got news for them...

Yes?

Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day

<1016948372.679857941.603392.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147664&group=rec.arts.tv#147664

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 10:31:56 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 17:31 UTC

> On Mon, 18 Jul 2022 11:41:47 -0400, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>> Mine does. Standard one holds five rounds. They had a drum which held some
>>> thing like 20 but they never actually shipped them because they couldn’t
>>> get them to work reliably.
>>>
>> I stand corrected! I've never seen or even heard of a shotgun that takes
>> a detachable magazine. What brand/model is it? I'd be interested in
>> seeing a video of it.
>>
>>> so it probably wasn't a shotgun that he was

> I was a bit confused in my other video as the shotgun wasn't mag fed
> but a pump action. So it did have multiple shots but not from a
> magazine.
> Now if you want to see a magazine fed shotgun here is one.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj6n1gPlGfA
>
> And here is one that uses a drum for fast shooting.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnrsvUanLfU

The only disadvantage to mine is that it doesn’t rack or pump so it doesn’t
make the scary shotgun noise. You just pull the trigger. Over and over and
over.

In the scary days after those riots, especially when their texts got out
saying the next time they were going to make sure to do white residential
homes, you took what you could get.

I seriously considered an AR 15 or similar but I really didn’t want
something that would go through the guy with the torch in my front yard and
continue across the street and go through the neighbors house as well.

Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day

<tb45go$fsup$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147666&group=rec.arts.tv#147666

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 13:33:08 -0400
 by: Rhino - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 17:33 UTC

On 2022-07-18 12:46 PM, shawn wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2022 11:41:47 -0400, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>> Mine does. Standard one holds five rounds. They had a drum which held some
>>> thing like 20 but they never actually shipped them because they couldn’t
>>> get them to work reliably.
>>>
>> I stand corrected! I've never seen or even heard of a shotgun that takes
>> a detachable magazine. What brand/model is it? I'd be interested in
>> seeing a video of it.
>>
>>> so it probably wasn't a shotgun that he was

> I was a bit confused in my other video as the shotgun wasn't mag fed
> but a pump action. So it did have multiple shots but not from a
> magazine.
> Now if you want to see a magazine fed shotgun here is one.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj6n1gPlGfA
>
> And here is one that uses a drum for fast shooting.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnrsvUanLfU

Interesting videos! Thanks for digging that up :-)

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day

<tb45o9$fur6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147668&group=rec.arts.tv#147668

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 13:37:10 -0400
 by: Rhino - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 17:37 UTC

On 2022-07-18 12:52 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On Jul 18, 2022 at 8:41:47 AM PDT, "Rhino" <no_offline_contact@example.com>
> wrote:

>>> Mine does. Standard one holds five rounds. They had a drum which held some
>>> thing like 20 but they never actually shipped them because they couldn’t
>>> get them to work reliably.
>>>
>> I stand corrected! I've never seen or even heard of a shotgun that takes
>> a detachable magazine. What brand/model is it? I'd be interested in
>> seeing a video of it.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uh3MuOq1LA

See? I told y'all that I didn't know much about guns! ;-)

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day

<tb469e$g20p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147670&group=rec.arts.tv#147670

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 13:46:20 -0400
 by: Rhino - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 17:46 UTC

On 2022-07-18 1:16 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>> Mine does. Standard one holds five rounds. They had a drum which held some
>>> thing like 20 but they never actually shipped them because they couldn’t
>>> get them to work reliably.
>>>
>> I stand corrected! I've never seen or even heard of a shotgun that takes
>> a detachable magazine. What brand/model is it? I'd be interested in
>> seeing a video of it.
>>

> Here’s an article about them in general. Mines closest to the first
> picture:
>
> https://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/the-top-5-magazine-fed-shotguns/
>
> The YouTube returns lots of hits for
>
> Mossberg 590M
>
> Hey! Here’s an unboxing video for my actual weapon:
>
> https://youtu.be/6wzPQlfVBWs

Thank you! Very enlightening!

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Gun-wielding civilian saves the day

<rfCdnV-cdPROO0j_nZ2dnUU7-dudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147673&group=rec.arts.tv#147673

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 13:30:43 -0500
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 18:30 UTC

On Jul 18, 2022 at 10:31:55 AM PDT, "anim8rfsk" <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> vermin
>>>>
>>> Uber and lift not only won’t let you have guns they won’t even let you
>>> transport them in a box.
>>
>> I've got news for them...
>>
> Yes?

They have people riding with guns all the time.