Prototype designs always work. -- Don Vonada

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)Ian J. Ball
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)anim8rfsk
||+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)Ian J. Ball
|||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)anim8rfsk
||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)BTR1701
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)Eddie Grove
| +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)Ian J. Ball
| |+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)anim8rfsk
| |+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)anim8rfsk
| |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)Eddie Grove
| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)Ubiquitous
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)anim8rfsk
 +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)Dimensional Traveler
 +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)BTR1701
 |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)Adam H. Kerman
 +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)Ubiquitous
 |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)anim8rfsk
 | +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)Adam H. Kerman
 | |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)anim8rfsk
 | `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)Ubiquitous
 |  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)anim8rfsk
 +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)Arthur Lipscomb
 |+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)suzeeq
 |+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)Dimensional Traveler
 |+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)Adam H. Kerman
 |+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)anim8rfsk
 ||+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)suzeeq
 ||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)Arthur Lipscomb
 || `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)anim8rfsk
 |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)Ubiquitous
 `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)Arthur Lipscomb

Pages:12
Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)

<1135560227.689070182.204928.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=163220&group=rec.arts.tv#163220

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 01:25:49 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 08:25 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 11/1/2022 3:11 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> The space carrot!
>>>
>>> run overnight to get the day started. TCM was showing good stuff all
>>>>

>>> I don't think I've ever watched any of these movies before. I saw they
>>> were airing and thought about recording them, but they would have taken
>>> up too much space.

>>> Kids actually showed up this year, but not enough to put a dent in the
>>> candy bowl. I will be eating left over Halloween candy for the
>>> foreseeable future.
>>
>> I’ve been eating Halloween candy all morning and not taking any insulin and
>> my numbers are the same as if I hadn’t eaten anything and hadn’t taken any
>> insulin. It’s like chocolate has healed my pancreas.

>>> I've had Green Slime sitting on the DVR for a while. I have no idea
>>> when I'm actually going to watch it.
>>
>> Green slime has a long and Interesting history with fans. There was a
>> crappy looking pan & scan VHS in English (which is the language it was shot
>> in) and there was a good looking widescreen laser disk of the Japanese
>> release in Japanese language and with some missing scenes. We kept trying
>> to collect better and better copies. Finally some mad genius in what may
>> have been the first fan edit made his own version using the video from the
>> laser and the audio from the VHS and included the missing scenes from the
>> VHS but they were full screen and the laser disk was Letterboxd so they had
>> the sides missing when he cut them in. IMHO the only thing he did wrong
>> was he dropped all the pillar boxed scenes in dead center. I would have
>> slid them left or right so they matched the framing of the original they
>> were pulled from. But still it was damn cool!
>>
>> After years of us messing around with it suddenly one day there was a
>> beautiful DVD.
>>
>> See also: THE LAST DINOSAUR
>>

> Never heard of that.

https://youtu.be/vTezw4iuj4E

Delightfully cheesy Japanese men in dinosaur suits movie with Richard Boone
and Joan Van Ark. Another film that got an uncut release in Japan but was
butchered for the American market and we kept collecting slightly longer
versions until finally they released the darn thing in English in America.

>>> I watched:
>>>
>>> You're So Cool, Brewster! The Story of Fright Night (blu-ray) This is a
>>> 2 1/2 hour long documentary about the making of the movie, "Fright
>>> Night." It was included with the movie as a bonus. This documentary is
>>> longer than the movie itself and is ridiculously comprehensive! It
>>> covers every aspect of the making of the movie, from preproduction, to
>>> hiring the effects people, to the music, to marketing. No stone is left
>>> unturned. It's full of lots of anecdotes and behind the scenes footage.
>>> And it finally answers the question of what is Billy Cole, straight
>>> from the actor who played him and the writer director themselves. The
>>> answer is, they have no idea what he is! Apparently, there is an even
>>> longer version of this documentary that also covers Fright Night 2, but
>>> they edited most of the Fright Night 2 stuff out for this version
>>>

>>> Batman: The Long Halloween (4K disc) 2021 Direct to video animated
>>> movie. This was previously released on blu-ray as two parts, but this
>>> new 4K disc combines both parts into one movie, just under 3 hours long.
>>> The plot involves Batman (Jensen Ackles) investigating a series of
>>> murders that take place on holidays. It's a pretty good movie. And
>>> solidly "R" rated, which is one of the things I like about the Warner DC
>>> animated movies. Even though they are animated, they are aimed squarely
>>> at the adult audience.
>>
>> So what do you have to do to get an R rating in a cartoon? Swear?
>>

> It depends movie to movie. With this one, it has a generally adult tone
> to it. The plot was actually very similar to the recent "The Batman."
> However I think that movie based its' script off the same comic so
> similarities aren't that surprising. With this one I noticed the
> violence more than the swearing. Lot of people getting killed where you
> see the bullet hole and blood coming out. Unless they were killed by
> other means where you still see the violent death with blood everywhere.

Thanks

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)

<tjtjgq$15blt$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=163243&group=rec.arts.tv#163243

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2022 04:30:42 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 08:30 UTC

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:

>>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>>
>>> Halloweenie stuff, mostly background noise, all day. I let the 1951 THE
>>> THING run overnight to get the day started. TCM was showing good stuff
>>> all day. I watched a Dracula movie with Lee and Cushing and a Frankenstein
>>> movie with Lee and Cushing and a mummy movie with Lee and Cushing. Also
>>> some kind of Satanic cult movie with Lee but no Cushing.
>>> Halloween was a moderate success. I probably had between 30 and 40 kids in
>>> a dozen Doorbell rings. Last year I got three times that.
>>
>> No kids to be seen or ehard all night, which reminds me. I was watching the
>> original Halloween and noticed children were trick-or-treating in the middle
>> of the afternoon and realized I hadn't seen that for awhile.
>
> I've never seen that. We used to wait anxiously at the window for the sun
> to go down. This year my first trick-or-treaters showed up (their mom was
> driving them around looking for Likely houses) Right as my weather app said
> it was sunset.

I remember seeing children trick-or-treating after school. Maybe they didn't
want to risk getting hit by a car in the dark?

>>> While I was handing out candy I let that classic THE GREEN SLIME run
>>
>> I watched a little bit of that but quickly lost interest when they stupidly
>> brought it aboard.
>
>Not on purpose! The doctor wants to bring it aboard and the hero takes the
>sample and smashes it and some of it splashes unnoticed on a grunts
>spacesuit. So it's all Robert Horton's fault.

I meant that him smashing the sample bottle against some rocks was stupid, as
was the doctor wasting time collecting samples. That's how you get a Wuhan Flu
epidemic!

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)

<tjtjsb$15blt$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=163244&group=rec.arts.tv#163244

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2022 04:30:43 -0400

In article <tjrqir$r73p$1@dont-email.me>, arthur@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:
> On 11/1/2022 6:47 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>
>> While I was handing out candy I let that classic THE GREEN SLIME run, and
>> finished it off with HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS.
>
>I've had Green Slime sitting on the DVR for a while. I have no idea
>when I'm actually going to watch it.

If I had green slime coating my DVR, I'd try to kill it.

>Quantum Leap - "O Ye of Little Faith" - Ben leaps into a priest who has
>to conduct an exorcism.

I saw commercials for that and rolled my eyes at their lame attempt at a
"Halloween ep". How the hell did that change history? Was the movie about it
in danger of never being made?

>This episode touched on some of the questions about the show that came
>up recently. One explanation that seemed particularly ridiculous was the
>people in the present reading news articles online to check for changes in
>the timeline. How exactly are they able to perceive changes to history?!?

I guess they take the BACK TO THE FUTURE way and look for any newspapers
slowly fading away and being replaced?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)

<1208886763.689098139.206147.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=163271&group=rec.arts.tv#163271

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 09:27:20 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 16:27 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>>> No kids to be seen or ehard all night, which reminds me. I was watching the
>>> original Halloween and noticed children were trick-or-treating in the middle
>>> of the afternoon and realized I hadn't seen that for awhile.
>>
>> I've never seen that. We used to wait anxiously at the window for the sun
>> to go down. This year my first trick-or-treaters showed up (their mom was
>> driving them around looking for Likely houses) Right as my weather app said
>> it was sunset.
>
> I remember seeing children trick-or-treating after school. Maybe they didn't
> want to risk getting hit by a car in the dark?

>>> I watched a little bit of that but quickly lost interest when they stupidly
>>> brought it aboard.
>>
>> Not on purpose! The doctor wants to bring it aboard and the hero takes the
>> sample and smashes it and some of it splashes unnoticed on a grunts
>> spacesuit. So it's all Robert Horton's fault.
>
> I meant that him smashing the sample bottle against some rocks was stupid, as
> was the doctor wasting time collecting samples.

Yes

That's how you get a Wuhan Flu
> epidemic!
>
> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)

<tjud4s$17oi8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=163288&group=rec.arts.tv#163288

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 11:53:03 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 18:53 UTC

<875yfw4gi6.fsf@hotmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=163323&group=rec.arts.tv#163323

From: eddiegr...@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 00:57:37 -0700
 by: Eddie Grove - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 07:57 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> writes:

> On 2022-11-01 21:05:34 +0000, Eddie Grove said:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> writes:
>>
>>> I then tried to watch the 2013 (Canadian!) version of "Embrace of the
>>> Vampire". LMN was running it, but they would cut out all the naked
>>> nudity, so I looked for a streaming alternative - I found that it was
>>> on just Vuvu. Tried to sign into Vudu, but they've eliminated their
>>> Walmart login option after Fandango bought them, so I had to spend
>>> time "transferring" my account to Vudu proper.
>>> Then I tried to run the movie - but I hit the first ad-break (note:
>>> it was awkwardly inserted): it would play the first ad, try to play
>>> the second ad, fail, and produce an error message. And that was that -
>>> nothing would allow me to get around or move past the broken ad-break
>>> at the 8-min mark, so I could not continue the movie. IOW, Vudu is
>>> majorly f**ked up, and appears to be unusable if they can't get basic
>>> things like ad-breaks right.
>>>
>>> Of the ad-supported streamers, Tubi looks better and better every day... :/
>>
>> The movie is on Tubi. As of this minute.
>>
>> https://tubitv.com/movies/348931/embrace-of-the-vampire
>
> That's the 1990s version with Alyssa Milano, not the 2013 version - I
> won't watch that one 'cos I despise Alyssa Milano with a burning
> hate!!

Oops. You did put 2013 in there, but I didn't notice because it never
would have occurred to me this was a movie in need of a remake.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)

<tk0a4s$1eqct$12@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=163352&group=rec.arts.tv#163352

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 07:54:04 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 11:54 UTC

In article <87bkpq8jxd.fsf@hotmail.com>, eddiegrove@hotmail.com wrote:

> The movie is on Tubi. As of this minute.

What's the deal with Tubi? It seems like most of their offerings are weird
conspiracy mini-docs.

--
Let's go Brandon!

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-31 (Monday)