There is no sin but ignorance. -- Christopher Marlowe

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!Rhino
+* Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!suzeeq
|+* Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!Rhino
||`* Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!The Horny Goat
|| `* Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!Rhino
||  +* Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!The Horny Goat
||  |`* Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!suzeeq
||  | `* Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!Nyssa
||  |  +- Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!suzeeq
||  |  +- Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!Adam H. Kerman
||  |  +* Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!The Horny Goat
||  |  |`* Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!suzeeq
||  |  | +* Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!Adam H. Kerman
||  |  | |+- Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!suzeeq
||  |  | |`- Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!The Horny Goat
||  |  | `* Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!Nyssa
||  |  |  +- Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!suzeeq
||  |  |  `- Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!The Horny Goat
||  |  `- Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!BTR1701
||  `- Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!The Horny Goat
|+- Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!trotsky
|`- Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!Bering Sea Bar & Brig
+* Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!A Friend
|`- Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!Bering Sea Bar & Brig
+* Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!The Horny Goat
|`* Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!Rhino
| `- Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!The Horny Goat
`- Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!Adam H. Kerman

Pages:12
Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!

<tlgnuu$5ncg$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165791&group=rec.arts.tv#165791

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 12:44:13 -0800
 by: suzeeq - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 20:44 UTC

On 11/21/2022 12:29 PM, Nyssa wrote:
> suzeeq wrote:
>
>> On 11/21/2022 9:35 AM, The Horny Goat wrote:

>>> Those I keep in my car since I'm a strident non-cellular
>>> junkie. I figure if I have a passenger that's their job
>>> while barrelling down
>>> the road. I wouldn't dream of trying to use a map app on
>>> a phone while in motion.
>>
>> You can have the phone read it to you, it uses GPS to know
>> where you are on the route you planned out, and will let
>> you know that a turn or offramp is coming up.
>>>
>>> Now I routinely plot out routes before I leave the house
>>> on the PC before I leave the house ....
>>>

> Except that HG doesn't have a cell phone, much less one
> that will talk him through a route (aka a smartphone).

Right, but if he did have one...

> I don't have a cell phone either, but check the paper
> map before I head out if I'm going to someplace out of
> my usual flight path. If I need to, I'll pull over into
> a parking lot or the side of the road to double check
> if I have any doubt about which way to turn or a route
> number.

Yep, that's how I do it. Because a map is harder to read while drivng.

> OTOH last month I went to the Big City and was trying
> to find a couple of stores on familiar roads, but the
> traffic was just heavy enough that I couldn't risk
> rubber-necking to check signage or numbers of stores
> along the way. Next try, I'll see if I can track down
> some landmarks *near* the places I was looking for
> and/or reverse my route so I'll be on the proper
> side of the street for the numbers to be a right turn
> and can stick to the slower lane.
>
> Nyssa, who wonders what all these people who rely on
> smartphones, GPS, etc. think we did before they were
> invented and generally available

Used paper maps.

Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!

<bk7qnhl2diviosvntkpd2mdaifj8367gb9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165841&group=rec.arts.tv#165841

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 11:10:43 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 22 Nov 2022 19:10 UTC

On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 18:41:50 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>That's all we need, another back seat driver.
>
>>> Now I routinely plot out routes before I leave the house on the PC
>>> before I leave the house ....

I often do that particularly if it's an unfamiliar part of town to see
if I've got it right and to print it off if I don't.

Re: [OT] I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!

<mm7qnh9cl1lfvjcjmgrgd91195ui9mjjok@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165842&group=rec.arts.tv#165842

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 11:12:08 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 22 Nov 2022 19:12 UTC

On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 15:29:58 -0500, Nyssa <Nyssa@LogicalInsight.net>
wrote:

>Nyssa, who wonders what all these people who rely on
>smartphones, GPS, etc. think we did before they were
>invented and generally available

You mean like having a dozen or so maps in one's glove box?

At one time that was the major benefit of joining the auto club - now
it's getting your car jump started in winter.