Never buy what you do not want because it is cheap; it will be dear to you. -- Thomas Jefferson

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Doctor Who Fifth Doctor era

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)Nyssa
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)Adam H. Kerman
||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)Nyssa
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)Arthur Lipscomb
||+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)anim8rfsk
|||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)Arthur Lipscomb
||| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)anim8rfsk
||+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)shawn
|||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)Arthur Lipscomb
||| +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)Ian J. Ball
||| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)shawn
|||  +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)suzeeq
|||  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)Arthur Lipscomb
||+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)Ian J. Ball
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)BTR1701
|| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)anim8rfsk
||  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)shawn
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)Adam H. Kerman
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)Arthur Lipscomb
|  `* Doctor Who Fifth Doctor era (was: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday))Adam H. Kerman
|   `* Re: Doctor Who Fifth Doctor era (was: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28Arthur Lipscomb
|    `- Re: Doctor Who Fifth Doctor eraAdam H. Kerman
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)Ian J. Ball
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)Ian J. Ball
| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)Arthur Lipscomb
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)anim8rfsk
 +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)Ian J. Ball
 `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)Arthur Lipscomb

Pages:12
Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)

<tqkpi3$3bbq9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172721&group=rec.arts.tv#172721

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 01:57:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 01:57 UTC

Nyssa <Nyssa@LogicalInsight.net> wrote:
>Ubiquitous wrote:

>>While attempting to pack for a roadtrip, I watched:
>>DOCTOR WHO:
>>"Logopolis". The Doctor goes to Logopolis to have the
>>Tardis camoflague fixed, unaware that The Master has plans
>>for him. This was the last of the Tom Baker series. Nyssa
>>annoys me for some reason, possibly because she's wearing
>>a space princess costume.

>>What did you watch?
>Ahem! I object to that anti-Nyssa comment!

I thought Sarah Sutton was pretty in that costume. But I didn't like the
stupidity of the NEXT episode, in which the script had been written
before they decided to make her a companion, so they had a scene in
which she took ill, then explained at the end of the episode that she'd
been killed and replaced with a robot.

>After all, she was the source for my nom-de-net since
>the character was also a computer scientist. :P~~~~

>Nyssa, who has been using the nick so long, many people
>actually call her that regularly when dealing with her
>in "real" life

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday)

<tqmecs$3mpia$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172775&group=rec.arts.tv#172775

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 08:59:07 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 16:59 UTC

On 1/22/2023 5:57 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Nyssa <Nyssa@LogicalInsight.net> wrote:
>> Ubiquitous wrote:
>
>>> While attempting to pack for a roadtrip, I watched:
>
>>> DOCTOR WHO:
>>> "Logopolis". The Doctor goes to Logopolis to have the
>>> Tardis camoflague fixed, unaware that The Master has plans
>>> for him. This was the last of the Tom Baker series. Nyssa
>>> annoys me for some reason, possibly because she's wearing
>>> a space princess costume.
>
>>> What did you watch?
>
>> Ahem! I object to that anti-Nyssa comment!
>
> I thought Sarah Sutton was pretty in that costume. But I didn't like the
> stupidity of the NEXT episode, in which the script had been written
> before they decided to make her a companion, so they had a scene in
> which she took ill, then explained at the end of the episode that she'd
> been killed and replaced with a robot.

I don't remember that. But it's been a long while since I last watched
Logopolis. But to be clear, the real Nyssa didn't stay dead right? I
recall Chameleon hanging around as a companion for a while, but not that
he killed and replaced any regular companions. Or did he? Now that I
think about it he did start out evil, didn't he?

>> After all, she was the source for my nom-de-net since
>> the character was also a computer scientist. :P~~~~
>
>> Nyssa, who has been using the nick so long, many people
>> actually call her that regularly when dealing with her
>> in "real" life

Doctor Who Fifth Doctor era (was: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday))

<tqmk8i$3nsc6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172783&group=rec.arts.tv#172783

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Doctor Who Fifth Doctor era (was: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday))
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 18:39:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 18:39 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>On 1/22/2023 5:57 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>Nyssa <Nyssa@LogicalInsight.net> wrote:

>>>Ahem! I object to that anti-Nyssa comment!

>>I thought Sarah Sutton was pretty in that costume. But I didn't like the
>>stupidity of the NEXT episode, in which the script had been written
>>before they decided to make her a companion, so they had a scene in
>>which she took ill, then explained at the end of the episode that she'd
>>been killed and replaced with a robot.

>I don't remember that. But it's been a long while since I last watched
>Logopolis. But to be clear, the real Nyssa didn't stay dead right?

I had to refresh my memory. In "Four to Doomsday", the second serial of
Season 19 starring Peter Davison as the Fifth Doctor January 1982, the
Urbankans had an evil plot to kill all the humans with a toxin. They
themselves had been converted into androids abandoning their own bodies.
In Part Three, Nyssa got poisoned. She then collapses at the very end of
Part Four. In the third serial "Kinda" (February 1982), a dreadful
script but one of the few episodes Tegan (Janet Fielding) has lots to do
other than scowl at The Doctor and has a decent performance by Matthew
Waterhouse as Adric, Nyssa is put into some sort of relaxing coma during
Part One from which she doesn't emerge till the end of Part Four.

I can't find the quote of the line of dialogue but they say that she had
been killed during the previous serial and got replace by an android.
But it's Doctor Who. I'm not going to say she was dead but then got
better. Rather, it's a dropped plot point. Doctor Who traditionally has
no continuity whatsoever.

"Kinda" began as a script for the Fourth Doctor as some sort of wise
sage, or maybe it was supposed to be a joint Fourth Doctor/Fifth Doctor
episode, or maybe it was supposed to be the transition episode between
the two actors. But none of that happened. The script was finished before
it was decided to add Sarah Sutton to the main cast, and I just read
that she doesn't appear at all in Parts 2 and 3 because they hadn't yet
negotiated her contract. The actress didn't mind too much and just spent
the production period shopping.

Peter Davison was an excellent actor who was done an extreme disservice
by the scripts he got, which were largely weak. His best work was as
Tristan in All Creatures Great and Small. But the scripts would get even
worse during the Colin Baker era, and then the show got cancelled then
resurrected.

>I recall Chameleon hanging around as a companion for a while, but
>not that he killed and replaced any regular companions. Or did he?
>Now that I think about it he did start out evil, didn't he?

Heh. He was subject to influence! I just read that it was a device the
producer discovered and not a custom-built prop. They used it in just
two serials because the prop functioned poorly. He wasn't even
referenced in script except in the two serials, which were The King's
Demons and Planet of Fire. They didn't even know how to operate the prop
as his software designer was killed and left no instructions.

https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Kamelion

>>>After all, she was the source for my nom-de-net since
>>>the character was also a computer scientist. :P~~~~

>>>Nyssa, who has been using the nick so long, many people
>>>actually call her that regularly when dealing with her
>>>in "real" life

Re: Doctor Who Fifth Doctor era (was: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28 (Thursday))

<tqp366$7kvq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172866&group=rec.arts.tv#172866

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Doctor Who Fifth Doctor era (was: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-28
(Thursday))
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 23:05:57 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 07:05 UTC

On 1/23/2023 10:39 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> I thought Sarah Sutton was pretty in that costume. But I didn't like the
>>> stupidity of the NEXT episode, in which the script had been written
>>> before they decided to make her a companion, so they had a scene in
>>> which she took ill, then explained at the end of the episode that she'd
>>> been killed and replaced with a robot.
>
>> I don't remember that. But it's been a long while since I last watched
>> Logopolis. But to be clear, the real Nyssa didn't stay dead right?
>
> I had to refresh my memory. In "Four to Doomsday", the second serial of
> Season 19 starring Peter Davison as the Fifth Doctor January 1982, the
> Urbankans had an evil plot to kill all the humans with a toxin. They
> themselves had been converted into androids abandoning their own bodies.
> In Part Three, Nyssa got poisoned. She then collapses at the very end of
> Part Four. In the third serial "Kinda" (February 1982), a dreadful
> script but one of the few episodes Tegan (Janet Fielding) has lots to do
> other than scowl at The Doctor and has a decent performance by Matthew
> Waterhouse as Adric, Nyssa is put into some sort of relaxing coma during
> Part One from which she doesn't emerge till the end of Part Four.
>
> I can't find the quote of the line of dialogue but they say that she had
> been killed during the previous serial and got replace by an android.
> But it's Doctor Who. I'm not going to say she was dead but then got
> better. Rather, it's a dropped plot point. Doctor Who traditionally has
> no continuity whatsoever.

I'm sorry, I don't think you're allowed to use continuity and Doctor Who
in the same sentence. Except to point out someone's not supposed to do
it. ;-)

> "Kinda" began as a script for the Fourth Doctor as some sort of wise
> sage, or maybe it was supposed to be a joint Fourth Doctor/Fifth Doctor
> episode, or maybe it was supposed to be the transition episode between
> the two actors. But none of that happened. The script was finished before
> it was decided to add Sarah Sutton to the main cast, and I just read
> that she doesn't appear at all in Parts 2 and 3 because they hadn't yet
> negotiated her contract. The actress didn't mind too much and just spent
> the production period shopping.

If she was being paid, she probably really didn't mind.

> Peter Davison was an excellent actor who was done an extreme disservice
> by the scripts he got, which were largely weak. His best work was as
> Tristan in All Creatures Great and Small. But the scripts would get even
> worse during the Colin Baker era, and then the show got cancelled then
> resurrected.

I've never seen All Creatures Great and Small. I recall generally
liking Davison's episode. But you're right there was a decline in
quality as the show went from the 4th to 5th to 6th doctor.

>> I recall Chameleon hanging around as a companion for a while, but
>> not that he killed and replaced any regular companions. Or did he?
>> Now that I think about it he did start out evil, didn't he?
>
> Heh. He was subject to influence! I just read that it was a device the
> producer discovered and not a custom-built prop. They used it in just
> two serials because the prop functioned poorly. He wasn't even
> referenced in script except in the two serials, which were The King's
> Demons and Planet of Fire. They didn't even know how to operate the prop
> as his software designer was killed and left no instructions.

Wow!

> https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Kamelion

Re: Doctor Who Fifth Doctor era

<tqp8r9$8di3$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=172878&group=rec.arts.tv#172878

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Doctor Who Fifth Doctor era
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 18:42:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 18:42 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>On 1/23/2023 10:39 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>>I don't remember that. But it's been a long while since I last watched
>>>Logopolis. But to be clear, the real Nyssa didn't stay dead right?

>>I had to refresh my memory. In "Four to Doomsday", the second serial of
>>Season 19 starring Peter Davison as the Fifth Doctor January 1982, the
>>Urbankans had an evil plot to kill all the humans with a toxin. They
>>themselves had been converted into androids abandoning their own bodies.
>>In Part Three, Nyssa got poisoned. She then collapses at the very end of
>>Part Four. In the third serial "Kinda" (February 1982), a dreadful
>>script but one of the few episodes Tegan (Janet Fielding) has lots to do
>>other than scowl at The Doctor and has a decent performance by Matthew
>>Waterhouse as Adric, Nyssa is put into some sort of relaxing coma during
>>Part One from which she doesn't emerge till the end of Part Four.

>>I can't find the quote of the line of dialogue but they say that she had
>>been killed during the previous serial and got replace by an android.
>>But it's Doctor Who. I'm not going to say she was dead but then got
>>better. Rather, it's a dropped plot point. Doctor Who traditionally has
>>no continuity whatsoever.

>I'm sorry, I don't think you're allowed to use continuity and Doctor Who
>in the same sentence. Except to point out someone's not supposed to do
>it. ;-)

Good point

>>"Kinda" began as a script for the Fourth Doctor as some sort of wise
>>sage, or maybe it was supposed to be a joint Fourth Doctor/Fifth Doctor
>>episode, or maybe it was supposed to be the transition episode between
>>the two actors. But none of that happened. The script was finished before
>>it was decided to add Sarah Sutton to the main cast, and I just read
>>that she doesn't appear at all in Parts 2 and 3 because they hadn't yet
>>negotiated her contract. The actress didn't mind too much and just spent
>>the production period shopping.

>If she was being paid, she probably really didn't mind.

She wasn't. She probably got a pittance for the two scenes used to
explain why she wasn't in the episode. She wouldn't be on contract till
the next serial.

>>Peter Davison was an excellent actor who was done an extreme disservice
>>by the scripts he got, which were largely weak. His best work was as
>>Tristan in All Creatures Great and Small. But the scripts would get even
>>worse during the Colin Baker era, and then the show got cancelled then
>>resurrected.

>I've never seen All Creatures Great and Small. I recall generally
>liking Davison's episode. But you're right there was a decline in
>quality as the show went from the 4th to 5th to 6th doctor.

And the script quality decline started in the 4th Doctor's final season.
The new show runner wasn't as good as the previous one.