If an experiment works, something has gone wrong.

arts / rec.arts.tv / The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”

SubjectAuthor
* The snARK S01E03 “Get outanim8rfsk
+* Re: The snARK S01E03 ?Get out and Push?shawn
|+* Re: The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”Ian J. Ball
||`* Re: The snARK S01E03 “Get outanim8rfsk
|| `- Re: The snARK S01E03 ?Get out and Push?shawn
|+- Re: The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”Dimensional Traveler
|`* Re: The snARK S01E03 “Get outanim8rfsk
| +- Re: The snARK S01E03 ?Get out and Push?shawn
| `- Re: The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”Dimensional Traveler
+* Re: The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”Ian J. Ball
|+* Re: The snARK S01E03 “Getanim8rfsk
||+* Re: The snARK S01E03 ?Get out and Push?shawn
|||`* Re: The snARK S01E03 “Get outanim8rfsk
||| +* Re: The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”Ian J. Ball
||| `- Re: The snARK S01E03 ?Get out and Push?shawn
||`* Re: The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”Dimensional Traveler
|| `- Re: The snARK S01E03 “Getanim8rfsk
|`* Video output format (was: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push")Adam H. Kerman
| +* Re: Video output format (was: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push")anim8rfsk
| |`* Re: Video output format (was: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push")Adam H. Kerman
| | +- Re: Video output format (was: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push")anim8rfsk
| | `* Re: Video output format (was: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push")anim8rfsk
| |  +- Re: Video output format (was: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push")trotsky
| |  `* Re: Video output formatAdam H. Kerman
| |   +- Re: Video output formatanim8rfsk
| |   `- Re: Video output formattrotsky
| `* Re: Video output format (was: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push")Ian J. Ball
|  `* Re: Video output format (was: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push")anim8rfsk
|   `* Re: Video output format (was: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push")Ian J. Ball
|    `* Re: Video output format (was: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push")Ian J. Ball
|     `* Re: Video output format (was: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push")anim8rfsk
|      `* Re: Video output format (was: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push")Ian J. Ball
|       +- Re: Video output format (was: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push")shawn
|       `* Re: Video output format (was: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push")anim8rfsk
|        `* Re: Video output format (was: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push")Ian J. Ball
|         +* Re: Video output format (was: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push")shawn
|         |`* Re: Video output format (was: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push")Ian J. Ball
|         | `* Re: Video output format (was: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push")shawn
|         |  `* Re: Video output format (was: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push")Ian J. Ball
|         |   `- Re: Video output format (was: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push")shawn
|         `- Re: Video output format (was: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push")Adam H. Kerman
`* Re: The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”David Johnston
 `* Re: The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”Dimensional Traveler
  +* Re: Re0 The snARK S01E03 €Get out and Push€Ian J. Ball
  |`- Re: Re0 The snARK S01E03 €Getanim8rfsk
  +- Re: The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”David Johnston
  `- Re: The snARK S01E03 “Getanim8rfsk

Pages:12
The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”

<1732997804.698253620.029635.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175660&group=rec.arts.tv#175660

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: The snARK S01E03 “Get out
and Push”
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 08:23:50 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 15:23 UTC

The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”

(Also appearing in the master snARK thread)

“An asteroid is headed for us!“

No. It’s not. By definition it’s not. Whatever’s out there that’s gonna
smack you right in the face and hopefully kill you all, it’s not an
asteroid. The second word said on this episode is wrong.

Ian, that scene from future episodes we keep seeing about the lightspeed
engines, she’s now saying “near lightspeed“

So they are traveling ridiculously fast in normal space and relativity is
attached.

Our reluctant heroes are chatting about their options. The guy who
shouldn’t be captain, but thinks he is, wants to use the solar sails. The
ginger robot says they’re too far from a star. Duh. So he says that they
should divert the power into the almost light speed engines which were shut
down from overheating because they had drained the coolant, so that makes
no sense, and everybody just ignores what he said anyway. Suddenly alarms
go off, indicating an asteroid is coming at them (it’s not) And they’re all
scared and stuff.

I don’t think the writers, and I use that word very loosely, have taken
into consideration the fact that they are stopped dead. They are a light
year from the nearest asteroid. And they’re an awfully small target.

By the way, I finally got a good look at the whole ship, and all the
rotating sections are rotating the same way, which means the damn thing
should be precessing in the opposite direction. Also, the way it’s turning,
last week when the guy got speared by the narwhale, they were on the aft
section. Which means they got starboard wrong by any definition.

Oh, yeah, they say that if they don’t get the engines back up to near
lightspeed, they’ll miss Proxima B. Why? They’re stopped dead in space.
It’s not like Proxima B is much of a moving target. This is like your car
breaking down in the middle of the Mojave desert and you saying that if you
don’t get back up to 55 miles an hour you’re going to miss Los Angeles. No,
you’re not. You might miss a scheduled arrival time but you aren’t gonna
miss the city. Neither of you is going anywhere.

Oh my God. The ginger robot is asking the only surviving navigator if he
can find a closer star system for them to go to. There’s not going to be
anything closer than Proxima B. That’s why they’re going there. It’s the
closest place to go!

The only one who knows how to fix the engines is the same woman who is the
only one who knows how to fix the water reclamation unit. Not to mention
she’s the one who broke the engines in the first place.

Glasses girl gets both god and science wrong.

It’s the Ark’s drift that is moving it in front of the asteroid (which is
in turn coming at them at tremendous speed). They are drifting? When did
that start? And Shirley they must have some sort of thrusters. If they move
the thing a mile in any direction, that should do it.

There’s an incredibly stupid commercial about how comic book companies
don’t hire Black people. It doesn’t actually end with anybody saying that’s
wrong or the guy whose story it is getting a job. He just says his mother
was nice about it. WTF?

Close-up of the Ark. Ian is so lucky to be able to watch this in 4K!

The idiot doctor (who slept through somebody stealing all her drugs on the
other side of a curtain) says that she has to do a physical on the guy
whose hand was eaten away by space diamonds because his file was corrupted.
They have six hours to live. And she’s insisting she needs to do physicals.

Hey! They’re finally in the gigantic room where they got the pre-lift off
peptalk! It’s all full of comfy couches where people are sitting and
chatting like they were in a shopping mall before the stores opened.

The odds of being hit by an asteroid just drifting in space are one in
700,326. Because that makes sense.

Actually, the odds of you being hit by an asteroid 4/5 of the way between
Earth and Proxima B are absolutely zero. Also, they got so tired of saying
Proxima B that now they just call it Prox B.

With four hours to go it occurs to them that they have shuttles. Lots and
lots of shuttles, or just a few with unlimited fuel supplies since they
were going to use them to take all 300 people down to the planet. Also,
another shot of the ship from below shows there are domes all over the
place facing in all different directions.

Turns out there’s only one shuttle. The shuttle isn’t berthed, it just
hangs down below from the super structure. Which means you don’t have to
uncouple it from the ark. You can just use the engines as they are. There
would be no possible reason to unattach it, and fly around and look for a
place on the Ark to shove and use it in a way other than it was intended. I
haven’t watched the next segment yet, but I am taking bets.

The shuttle won’t start! It turns out various people have been scavenging
it for parts to fix other systems. And yet it didn’t occur to any of them
that it was actually there. Also, there doesn’t seem to be any way to get
to the shuttle from the Ark in the first place.

The parts are not plug and play which means they’re going to have to
re-calibrate everything even though they’re taking the original parts and
putting them back where they got them in the first place and even though
they’re talking about stuff like fuel hoses.

Plan C is to blow a hole in the hull and let the escaping air pressure push
them out of the way. Because they don’t have airlocks I guess.

Luckily the missing shuttle fuel hose, a standard 1 foot length of
translucent plastic hose available at any auto parts store they have in
Serbia, attaches right underneath the command chair so they don’t have to
build another set. But the shuttle doesn’t start so the pilot tells the guy
who is trying to fix it to stop fixing it because… I have no idea. Nor do I
have any idea why he thought it would start when there’s a guy right next
to him still fixing it in the first place.

The missing power coupler is returned! Why did they think it would start
without that? Luckily it attaches right behind the command chair so they
don’t have to build another set. But the shuttle still won’t start.

Until the pilot kicks it! And it starts! And then it stops again.

In the shower room, where they’re going to blow a hole in the hull because
there aren’t any doors that open to space like airlocks, the worthless
cargo people are having a dance party. The ginger robot beats them up and
gives them three seconds to clean up their mess and get out. Of course,
they just leave without cleaning up any mess because three seconds.

They’ve made a fertilizer bomb out of the people they’ve gotten killed so
far because there are no explosives on the Ark because why would you
possibly need explosives to start a colony on an unknown world? They attach
the bomb to what is clearly not an exterior wall.

KA-BOOM!

They blow a hole! Now that we can see the explosion from the outside, it
comes out from what should have been the floor. But they stuck the bimb on
the wall. Which means they’ve got gravity going at 90° to how it should.
Also, I don’t think I’d have blown a hole in the rotating section.
Certainly not my first choice. And certainly not without calculations, as
to when to set it off!

Hey, the nerdy botanist who built the bomb looks just like Boz in RIPTIDE!
Think he’ll build a robot next?

They decide not to make a ship wide announcement that they’re setting off a
bomb, because that would scare people more than a big kaboom out of
nowhere.

It worked, the asteroid will now miss them by 586 m.

Meanwhile the shuttle pilot has fixed the shuttle and run all the way to
the command deck to tell them he’s ready to use the shuttle to move the
Ark. Because he’s forgotten they have an intercom.

Girl with the glasses, in the nose of the ship, suddenly realizes the
“asteroid“ has a tail. She runs to the bridge to tell them the asteroid has
a tail! Because she’s forgotten they have an intercom.

It’s a comet! And they get entirely wrong why comets have tails. Anyway,
that means it’s made of ice and ice is made of water and therefore the
comet is drinkable. But how can they get the water? They have “miles and
miles” of ship to ship refueling hose aboard! What? Why? There isn’t
another ship. And their engines are nuclear. What the hell were they going
to pump through refueling hose? And why have they been cannibalizing
working systems for hose?

They must match speed and course with the comet! But how? They don’t have
engines! They think about this for a while because they’ve all forgotten
the shuttle. Already.

OMG. Girl with glasses explains that the tiny shuttle can get the ark
moving at the fantastic velocity of the comet because they’re in space. And
I quote:

“Lieutenant Brice is using the shuttle like a booster rocket to accelerate
the Ark up to the comet’s velocity”

“OK but how can something so small get us moving so fast?”

“We’re in space. There’s no gravity, no friction or resistance. Size
doesn’t matter, just force.”

Apparently there’s no mass, either. She goes on to explain further and even
cites the laws of physics. As Bugs Bunny once said “I never studied law“.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: The snARK S01E03 ?Get out and Push?

<hp1uuhh0hd24ih999ajv8e2a6qljl2agbc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175717&group=rec.arts.tv#175717

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: The snARK S01E03 ???Get out and Push???
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 00:09:29 -0500
 by: shawn - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 05:09 UTC

On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 08:23:50 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”

The thing I loved about the shuttle was that they showed that it
wasn't part of the rotating ring. So it is standing still which means
it shouldn't be emulating gravity. Yet we had everyone moving around
in that shuttle as though they were on Earth. Not even an attempt at
pretending they were weightless. Though I guess that shouldn't be a
surprise since the ship is apparently mass less as well so it can spin
on a dime and accelerate to a high speed in seconds.

>I don’t think the writers, and I use that word very loosely, have taken
>into consideration the fact that they are stopped dead. They are a light
>year from the nearest asteroid. And they’re an awfully small target.

Ah, but they are a target and the universe has it's aim on them.

>Oh my God. The ginger robot is asking the only surviving navigator if he
>can find a closer star system for them to go to. There’s not going to be
>anything closer than Proxima B. That’s why they’re going there. It’s the
>closest place to go!

It's the closest solar system with a potentially habitable planet.
That doesn't mean it has to be the closest solar system. There could
potentially be one where they could have found a source of water, but
that turns out to be unnecessary.

>The only one who knows how to fix the engines is the same woman who is the
>only one who knows how to fix the water reclamation unit. Not to mention
>she’s the one who broke the engines in the first place.

What would they have done if she had died and the ranking officer had
lived instead? They really needed to rethink the training and
distribution of the knowledge among the various locations in the ship.

>Glasses girl gets both god and science wrong.
>
>It’s the Ark’s drift that is moving it in front of the asteroid (which is
>in turn coming at them at tremendous speed). They are drifting? When did
>that start? And Shirley they must have some sort of thrusters. If they move
>the thing a mile in any direction, that should do it.

This was written by a second writer. The first writer believes the
ship would stop moving once the engines are turned off but this writer
knows that isn't the case. Too bad these writers apparently hate each
other so they never communicate and coordinate with each other.

>There’s an incredibly stupid commercial about how comic book companies
>don’t hire Black people. It doesn’t actually end with anybody saying that’s
>wrong or the guy whose story it is getting a job. He just says his mother
>was nice about it. WTF?
>
>Close-up of the Ark. Ian is so lucky to be able to watch this in 4K!
>
>The idiot doctor (who slept through somebody stealing all her drugs on the
>other side of a curtain) says that she has to do a physical on the guy
>whose hand was eaten away by space diamonds because his file was corrupted.
>They have six hours to live. And she’s insisting she needs to do physicals.

What else was she supposed to do with her time? It's not like she has
a med-bay full of patients.. Oh wait.. she does.

>Hey! They’re finally in the gigantic room where they got the pre-lift off
>peptalk! It’s all full of comfy couches where people are sitting and
>chatting like they were in a shopping mall before the stores opened.

Hey we get to see security girl standing around again talking to a
priest (or something religious.)

>The odds of being hit by an asteroid just drifting in space are one in
>700,326. Because that makes sense.
>
>Actually, the odds of you being hit by an asteroid 4/5 of the way between
>Earth and Proxima B are absolutely zero. Also, they got so tired of saying
>Proxima B that now they just call it Prox B.
>
>With four hours to go it occurs to them that they have shuttles. Lots and
>lots of shuttles, or just a few with unlimited fuel supplies since they
>were going to use them to take all 300 people down to the planet. Also,
>another shot of the ship from below shows there are domes all over the
>place facing in all different directions.
>
>Turns out there’s only one shuttle. The shuttle isn’t berthed, it just
>hangs down below from the super structure. Which means you don’t have to
>uncouple it from the ark. You can just use the engines as they are. There
>would be no possible reason to unattach it, and fly around and look for a
>place on the Ark to shove and use it in a way other than it was intended. I
>haven’t watched the next segment yet, but I am taking bets.
One shuttle. Certainly nothing could happen to it in a 5 year journey
across space that would make it impossible for the people on the ship
to get down to the planet. You have to wonder if this whole plan was
just some sort of sick joke to kill off everyone on board the ship as
there were way too many ways this plan could go wrong.

>The shuttle won’t start! It turns out various people have been scavenging
>it for parts to fix other systems. And yet it didn’t occur to any of them
>that it was actually there. Also, there doesn’t seem to be any way to get
>to the shuttle from the Ark in the first place.

Out of sight, out of mind.

>The parts are not plug and play which means they’re going to have to
>re-calibrate everything even though they’re taking the original parts and
>putting them back where they got them in the first place and even though
>they’re talking about stuff like fuel hoses.
>
>Plan C is to blow a hole in the hull and let the escaping air pressure push
>them out of the way. Because they don’t have airlocks I guess.
>
>Luckily the missing shuttle fuel hose, a standard 1 foot length of
>translucent plastic hose available at any auto parts store they have in
>Serbia, attaches right underneath the command chair so they don’t have to
>build another set. But the shuttle doesn’t start so the pilot tells the guy
>who is trying to fix it to stop fixing it because… I have no idea. Nor do I
>have any idea why he thought it would start when there’s a guy right next
>to him still fixing it in the first place.
>
>The missing power coupler is returned! Why did they think it would start
>without that? Luckily it attaches right behind the command chair so they
>don’t have to build another set. But the shuttle still won’t start.
>
>Until the pilot kicks it! And it starts! And then it stops again.
>
>In the shower room, where they’re going to blow a hole in the hull because
>there aren’t any doors that open to space like airlocks, the worthless
>cargo people are having a dance party. The ginger robot beats them up and
>gives them three seconds to clean up their mess and get out. Of course,
>they just leave without cleaning up any mess because three seconds.
>
>They’ve made a fertilizer bomb out of the people they’ve gotten killed so
>far because there are no explosives on the Ark because why would you
>possibly need explosives to start a colony on an unknown world? They attach
>the bomb to what is clearly not an exterior wall.
>
>KA-BOOM!
>
>They blow a hole! Now that we can see the explosion from the outside, it
>comes out from what should have been the floor. But they stuck the bimb on
>the wall. Which means they’ve got gravity going at 90° to how it should.
>Also, I don’t think I’d have blown a hole in the rotating section.
>Certainly not my first choice. And certainly not without calculations, as
>to when to set it off!

Gravity clearly doesn't work the same way in this universe as it does
in ours.

<tso0u0$3l1li$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175729&group=rec.arts.tv#175729

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 05:54:08 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 13:54 UTC

On 2023-02-16 15:23:50 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”
>
> (Also appearing in the master snARK thread)
>
> “An asteroid is headed for us!“
>
> No. It’s not. By definition it’s not. Whatever’s out there that’s gonna
> smack you right in the face and hopefully kill you all, it’s not an
> asteroid. The second word said on this episode is wrong.
>
> Ian, that scene from future episodes we keep seeing about the lightspeed
> engines, she’s now saying “near lightspeed“

I think I did notice that on the second go-round - makes sense, then,
why it's still taking them 5 years to get to Proxima b...

> So they are traveling ridiculously fast in normal space and relativity is
> attached.

Except when the engines are "off"... ;p

> Our reluctant heroes are chatting about their options. The guy who
> shouldn’t be captain, but thinks he is, wants to use the solar sails. The
> ginger robot says they’re too far from a star.

Actually, cute Serbian engineer said that, not Garnet. (I looked at
Garnet's uniform in this episode, and could swear it said "Barnet"!!)

> Duh. So he says that they
> should divert the power into the almost light speed engines which were shut
> down from overheating because they had drained the coolant, so that makes
> no sense, and everybody just ignores what he said anyway. Suddenly alarms
> go off, indicating an asteroid is coming at them (it’s not) And they’re all
> scared and stuff.

Dumbest part of the episode - they act like the ship doesn't have
lateral maneuvering thrusters (e.g. see the space shuttle) - for
example to "turn" the ship. There is NO way they don't at least have
those, which means they could have just used those to easily move
laterally out of the path of the "asteroid".

IOW, this entire episode was a contrived "crisis". [roll]

> I don’t think the writers, and I use that word very loosely, have taken
> into consideration the fact that they are stopped dead. They are a light
> year from the nearest asteroid. And they’re an awfully small target.

And all of that!

> By the way, I finally got a good look at the whole ship, and all the
> rotating sections are rotating the same way, which means the damn thing
> should be precessing in the opposite direction. Also, the way it’s turning,
> last week when the guy got speared by the narwhale, they were on the aft
> section. Which means they got starboard wrong by any definition.
>
> Oh, yeah, they say that if they don’t get the engines back up to near
> lightspeed, they’ll miss Proxima B. Why? They’re stopped dead in space.
> It’s not like Proxima B is much of a moving target. This is like your car
> breaking down in the middle of the Mojave desert and you saying that if you
> don’t get back up to 55 miles an hour you’re going to miss Los Angeles. No,
> you’re not. You might miss a scheduled arrival time but you aren’t gonna
> miss the city. Neither of you is going anywhere.
>
> Oh my God. The ginger robot is asking the only surviving navigator if he
> can find a closer star system for them to go to. There’s not going to be
> anything closer than Proxima B. That’s why they’re going there. It’s the
> closest place to go!

She was making a point to Lane, who was being dumb during this whole part...

> The only one who knows how to fix the engines is the same woman who is the
> only one who knows how to fix the water reclamation unit. Not to mention
> she’s the one who broke the engines in the first place.
>
> Glasses girl gets both god and science wrong.

I still *hate* her - they are not improving this character in the least.

And, in this episode, farmer boy was starting to get just about as
annoying... :/

> It’s the Ark’s drift that is moving it in front of the asteroid (which is
> in turn coming at them at tremendous speed). They are drifting? When did
> that start? And Shirley they must have some sort of thrusters. If they move
> the thing a mile in any direction, that should do it.
>
> There’s an incredibly stupid commercial about how comic book companies
> don’t hire Black people. It doesn’t actually end with anybody saying that’s
> wrong or the guy whose story it is getting a job. He just says his mother
> was nice about it. WTF?
>
> Close-up of the Ark. Ian is so lucky to be able to watch this in 4K!

My 4K TV is claming everything is "1080i" (incl. "The Ark"), even
networks like ABC which I *know* are "720p"!!

I think my TV is lying to me... ;)

> The idiot doctor (who slept through somebody stealing all her drugs on the
> other side of a curtain) says that she has to do a physical on the guy
> whose hand was eaten away by space diamonds because his file was corrupted.
> They have six hours to live. And she’s insisting she needs to do physicals.

Two things: 1) She was lying - she looked at his file, and saw
anomalies, which she wants to check out (it ties into the story that
the one grunt was telling about how Brice became the best pilot on
Earth in just a year, or something...), and 2) she's had no sleep, so
it's no wonder her judgement is shot!

> Hey! They’re finally in the gigantic room where they got the pre-lift off
> peptalk! It’s all full of comfy couches where people are sitting and
> chatting like they were in a shopping mall before the stores opened.

Including hott Serbian security grrrl from "The Outpost"!! ;)

> The odds of being hit by an asteroid just drifting in space are one in
> 700,326. Because that makes sense.

Sure - let's just make up a number!

> Actually, the odds of you being hit by an asteroid 4/5 of the way between
> Earth and Proxima B are absolutely zero. Also, they got so tired of saying
> Proxima B that now they just call it Prox B.
>
> With four hours to go it occurs to them that they have shuttles. Lots and
> lots of shuttles, or just a few with unlimited fuel supplies since they
> were going to use them to take all 300 people down to the planet. Also,
> another shot of the ship from below shows there are domes all over the
> place facing in all different directions.
>
> Turns out there’s only one shuttle. The shuttle isn’t berthed, it just
> hangs down below from the super structure. Which means you don’t have to
> uncouple it from the ark. You can just use the engines as they are. There
> would be no possible reason to unattach it, and fly around and look for a
> place on the Ark to shove and use it in a way other than it was intended. I
> haven’t watched the next segment yet, but I am taking bets.
>
> The shuttle won’t start! It turns out various people have been scavenging
> it for parts to fix other systems. And yet it didn’t occur to any of them
> that it was actually there. Also, there doesn’t seem to be any way to get
> to the shuttle from the Ark in the first place.

Heh.

> The parts are not plug and play which means they’re going to have to
> re-calibrate everything even though they’re taking the original parts and
> putting them back where they got them in the first place and even though
> they’re talking about stuff like fuel hoses.
>
> Plan C is to blow a hole in the hull and let the escaping air pressure push
> them out of the way. Because they don’t have airlocks I guess.

Or maneuvering thrusters!... [roll]

> Luckily the missing shuttle fuel hose, a standard 1 foot length of
> translucent plastic hose available at any auto parts store they have in
> Serbia, attaches right underneath the command chair so they don’t have to
> build another set. But the shuttle doesn’t start so the pilot tells the guy
> who is trying to fix it to stop fixing it because… I have no idea. Nor do I
> have any idea why he thought it would start when there’s a guy right next
> to him still fixing it in the first place.
>
> The missing power coupler is returned! Why did they think it would start
> without that? Luckily it attaches right behind the command chair so they
> don’t have to build another set. But the shuttle still won’t start.
>
> Until the pilot kicks it! And it starts! And then it stops again.

I actually LOL'ed at that - they both played into a cliche, and then
played against its expectations! I'm going to give them credit for
this... ;)

> In the shower room, where they’re going to blow a hole in the hull because
> there aren’t any doors that open to space like airlocks, the worthless
> cargo people are having a dance party. The ginger robot beats them up and
> gives them three seconds to clean up their mess and get out. Of course,
> they just leave without cleaning up any mess because three seconds.

I also noticed that! ;)

> They’ve made a fertilizer bomb out of the people they’ve gotten killed so
> far because there are no explosives on the Ark because why would you
> possibly need explosives to start a colony on an unknown world?

Click here to read the complete article
Re: The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”

<tso1i3$3l3m0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175730&group=rec.arts.tv#175730

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 06:04:51 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 14:04 UTC

On 2023-02-17 05:09:29 +0000, shawn said:

> On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 08:23:50 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”
>>

> The thing I loved about the shuttle was that they showed that it
> wasn't part of the rotating ring. So it is standing still which means
> it shouldn't be emulating gravity. Yet we had everyone moving around
> in that shuttle as though they were on Earth. Not even an attempt at
> pretending they were weightless. Though I guess that shouldn't be a
> surprise since the ship is apparently mass less as well so it can spin
> on a dime and accelerate to a high speed in seconds.

If these *idiots*! just watched "The Expanse", they would learn they
could easily explain stuff like this with "mag boots"!! [roll]

>> I don’t think the writers, and I use that word very loosely, have taken
>> into consideration the fact that they are stopped dead. They are a light
>> year from the nearest asteroid. And they’re an awfully small target.
>
> Ah, but they are a target and the universe has it's aim on them.

Yes - it's not just a human conspiracy against the people on that ship
- the "Gods" have it out for them too!! ;)

>> Oh my God. The ginger robot is asking the only surviving navigator if he
>> can find a closer star system for them to go to. There’s not going to be
>> anything closer than Proxima B. That’s why they’re going there. It’s the
>> closest place to go!
>
> It's the closest solar system with a potentially habitable planet.
> That doesn't mean it has to be the closest solar system. There could
> potentially be one where they could have found a source of water, but
> that turns out to be unnecessary.

Again, she was making a point.

And the only thing modern astronomers would have missed at that
distance would be, like, a Brown Dwarf system which wouldn't do them
any good anyway. And would likely be nowhere near where they are in the
first place!!

>> The only one who knows how to fix the engines is the same woman who is the
>> only one who knows how to fix the water reclamation unit. Not to mention
>> she’s the one who broke the engines in the first place.
>
> What would they have done if she had died and the ranking officer had
> lived instead? They really needed to rethink the training and
> distribution of the knowledge among the various locations in the ship.

"Warlita" (aka. Ava) clearly has an engineering crew - if "Warlita" was
dead, there certainly would be somebody else on her team who could do
her job. (Just, maybe not as well?... Or maybe, better?! - i.e. not
taking coolant from the engines!!)

>> Glasses girl gets both god and science wrong.
>>
>> It’s the Ark’s drift that is moving it in front of the asteroid (which is
>> in turn coming at them at tremendous speed). They are drifting? When did
>> that start? And Shirley they must have some sort of thrusters. If they move
>> the thing a mile in any direction, that should do it.
>
> This was written by a second writer. The first writer believes the
> ship would stop moving once the engines are turned off but this writer
> knows that isn't the case. Too bad these writers apparently hate each
> other so they never communicate and coordinate with each other.

That may actually be true to life! I mean, how many "writers' rooms"
hate each other?! I'm betting a lot - example: I think all the other
"Seinfeld" writers hated Larry David, which is why he left after season
#7. I bet this is true of "writers' rooms" most of the time...

>> There’s an incredibly stupid commercial about how comic book companies
>> don’t hire Black people. It doesn’t actually end with anybody saying that’s
>> wrong or the guy whose story it is getting a job. He just says his mother
>> was nice about it. WTF?
>>
>> Close-up of the Ark. Ian is so lucky to be able to watch this in 4K!
>>
>> The idiot doctor (who slept through somebody stealing all her drugs on the
>> other side of a curtain) says that she has to do a physical on the guy
>> whose hand was eaten away by space diamonds because his file was corrupted.
>> They have six hours to live. And she’s insisting she needs to do physicals.
>
> What else was she supposed to do with her time? It's not like she has
> a med-bay full of patients.. Oh wait.. she does.
>
>> Hey! They’re finally in the gigantic room where they got the pre-lift off
>> peptalk! It’s all full of comfy couches where people are sitting and
>> chatting like they were in a shopping mall before the stores opened.
>
> Hey we get to see security girl standing around again talking to a
> priest (or something religious.)

Have I mentioned this show needs more naked nudity?!!... ;p

>> The odds of being hit by an asteroid just drifting in space are one in
>> 700,326. Because that makes sense.
>>
>> Actually, the odds of you being hit by an asteroid 4/5 of the way between
>> Earth and Proxima B are absolutely zero. Also, they got so tired of saying
>> Proxima B that now they just call it Prox B.
>>
>> With four hours to go it occurs to them that they have shuttles. Lots and
>> lots of shuttles, or just a few with unlimited fuel supplies since they
>> were going to use them to take all 300 people down to the planet. Also,
>> another shot of the ship from below shows there are domes all over the
>> place facing in all different directions.
>>
>> Turns out there’s only one shuttle. The shuttle isn’t berthed, it just
>> hangs down below from the super structure. Which means you don’t have to
>> uncouple it from the ark. You can just use the engines as they are. There
>> would be no possible reason to unattach it, and fly around and look for a
>> place on the Ark to shove and use it in a way other than it was intended. I
>> haven’t watched the next segment yet, but I am taking bets.
>
> One shuttle. Certainly nothing could happen to it in a 5 year journey
> across space that would make it impossible for the people on the ship
> to get down to the planet. You have to wonder if this whole plan was
> just some sort of sick joke to kill off everyone on board the ship as
> there were way too many ways this plan could go wrong.

Yeah, at least try to explain stuff like this with - "There was a
scarcity shortage", or something!

<tsoavd$3m2jt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175737&group=rec.arts.tv#175737

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 08:45:34 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 16:45 UTC

On 2/16/2023 9:09 PM, shawn wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 08:23:50 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Oh my God. The ginger robot is asking the only surviving navigator if he
>> can find a closer star system for them to go to. There’s not going to be
>> anything closer than Proxima B. That’s why they’re going there. It’s the
>> closest place to go!
>
> It's the closest solar system with a potentially habitable planet.
> That doesn't mean it has to be the closest solar system. There could
> potentially be one where they could have found a source of water, but
> that turns out to be unnecessary.

Unless their "Proxima B" is the planet orbiting Proxima Centauri, which
IS the closest star to Sol.

>> The only one who knows how to fix the engines is the same woman who is the
>> only one who knows how to fix the water reclamation unit. Not to mention
>> she’s the one who broke the engines in the first place.
>
> What would they have done if she had died and the ranking officer had
> lived instead? They really needed to rethink the training and
> distribution of the knowledge among the various locations in the ship.

But then they couldn't be doing "Lord of the Flies in SPAAAAAACCCCEEEE!"

dirty old man.

Re: The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”

<1172265151.698341600.410987.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175741&group=rec.arts.tv#175741

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: The snARK S01E03 “Get out
and Push”
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 10:07:59 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 17:07 UTC

> On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 08:23:50 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”
>>

> The thing I loved about the shuttle was that they showed that it
> wasn't part of the rotating ring. So it is standing still which means
> it shouldn't be emulating gravity. Yet we had everyone moving around
> in that shuttle as though they were on Earth. Not even an attempt at
> pretending they were weightless. Though I guess that shouldn't be a
> surprise since the ship is apparently mass less as well so it can spin
> on a dime and accelerate to a high speed in seconds.

I gave up after calculating half a dozen directions, that gravity Works in
the ark. The only commonality is that there’s gravity everywhere inside the
arc, and nowhere outside the arc. The shuttle seems to obey the “galactic
South” gravity direction.

>> I don’t think the writers, and I use that word very loosely, have taken
>> into consideration the fact that they are stopped dead. They are a light
>> year from the nearest asteroid. And they’re an awfully small target.
>
> Ah, but they are a target and the universe has it's aim on them.

That guy never gets to use the PA system again!

>> Oh my God. The ginger robot is asking the only surviving navigator if he
>> can find a closer star system for them to go to. There’s not going to be
>> anything closer than Proxima B. That’s why they’re going there. It’s the
>> closest place to go!
>
> It's the closest solar system with a potentially habitable planet.
> That doesn't mean it has to be the closest solar system. There could
> potentially be one where they could have found a source of water, but
> that turns out to be unnecessary.

Proxima B, orbits Proxima Centauri B, the closest star to the sun. It’s
the same place to Jupiter 2 was going. Back then they just called it Alpha
Centauri.

>> The only one who knows how to fix the engines is the same woman who is the
>> only one who knows how to fix the water reclamation unit. Not to mention
>> she’s the one who broke the engines in the first place.
>
> What would they have done if she had died and the ranking officer had
> lived instead? They really needed to rethink the training and
> distribution of the knowledge among the various locations in the ship.
>
>> Glasses girl gets both god and science wrong.
>>
>> It’s the Ark’s drift that is moving it in front of the asteroid (which is
>> in turn coming at them at tremendous speed). They are drifting? When did
>> that start? And Shirley they must have some sort of thrusters. If they move
>> the thing a mile in any direction, that should do it.
>
> This was written by a second writer. The first writer believes the
> ship would stop moving once the engines are turned off but this writer
> knows that isn't the case. Too bad these writers apparently hate each
> other so they never communicate and coordinate with each other.

Good theory!
This reminds me of an interview I read back when the original quantum Leap
was airing with one of the two women who wrote novelizations of the show. I
don’t think they had ever met. The one being interviewed said that they
disagreed on how it worked. The other one thought it was just Sam’s mind
that went back (she was wrong), and the one being interviewed said it was
Sam’s body that went back, but everybody saw it as the person he was
replacing. She was right, although there may be conflicting evidence since
I stopped watching quantum Leap in season two. There was an episode with an
incredibly young Jennifer Aniston, where Sam leapt into a guy without legs
and he could run around and the history people saw the legless guy
levitating.

>> There’s an incredibly stupid commercial about how comic book companies
>> don’t hire Black people. It doesn’t actually end with anybody saying that’s
>> wrong or the guy whose story it is getting a job. He just says his mother
>> was nice about it. WTF?
>>
>> Close-up of the Ark. Ian is so lucky to be able to watch this in 4K!
>>
>> The idiot doctor (who slept through somebody stealing all her drugs on the
>> other side of a curtain) says that she has to do a physical on the guy
>> whose hand was eaten away by space diamonds because his file was corrupted.
>> They have six hours to live. And she’s insisting she needs to do physicals.
>
> What else was she supposed to do with her time? It's not like she has
> a med-bay full of patients.. Oh wait.. she does.

Or she could just take a nap!

>> Hey! They’re finally in the gigantic room where they got the pre-lift off
>> peptalk! It’s all full of comfy couches where people are sitting and
>> chatting like they were in a shopping mall before the stores opened.
>
> Hey we get to see security girl standing around again talking to a
> priest (or something religious.)

She’s in a bunch of scenes, but once again, she got no lines that I heard.

>> The odds of being hit by an asteroid just drifting in space are one in
>> 700,326. Because that makes sense.
>>
>> Actually, the odds of you being hit by an asteroid 4/5 of the way between
>> Earth and Proxima B are absolutely zero. Also, they got so tired of saying
>> Proxima B that now they just call it Prox B.
>>
>> With four hours to go it occurs to them that they have shuttles. Lots and
>> lots of shuttles, or just a few with unlimited fuel supplies since they
>> were going to use them to take all 300 people down to the planet. Also,
>> another shot of the ship from below shows there are domes all over the
>> place facing in all different directions.
>>
>> Turns out there’s only one shuttle. The shuttle isn’t berthed, it just
>> hangs down below from the super structure. Which means you don’t have to
>> uncouple it from the ark. You can just use the engines as they are. There
>> would be no possible reason to unattach it, and fly around and look for a
>> place on the Ark to shove and use it in a way other than it was intended. I
>> haven’t watched the next segment yet, but I am taking bets.
> One shuttle. Certainly nothing could happen to it in a 5 year journey
> across space that would make it impossible for the people on the ship
> to get down to the planet. You have to wonder if this whole plan was
> just some sort of sick joke to kill off everyone on board the ship as
> there were way too many ways this plan could go wrong.

Have you watched ASCENSION?

>> The shuttle won’t start! It turns out various people have been scavenging
>> it for parts to fix other systems. And yet it didn’t occur to any of them
>> that it was actually there. Also, there doesn’t seem to be any way to get
>> to the shuttle from the Ark in the first place.
>
> Out of sight, out of mind.
>
>> The parts are not plug and play which means they’re going to have to
>> re-calibrate everything even though they’re taking the original parts and
>> putting them back where they got them in the first place and even though
>> they’re talking about stuff like fuel hoses.
>>
>> Plan C is to blow a hole in the hull and let the escaping air pressure push
>> them out of the way. Because they don’t have airlocks I guess.
>>
>> Luckily the missing shuttle fuel hose, a standard 1 foot length of
>> translucent plastic hose available at any auto parts store they have in
>> Serbia, attaches right underneath the command chair so they don’t have to
>> build another set. But the shuttle doesn’t start so the pilot tells the guy
>> who is trying to fix it to stop fixing it because… I have no idea. Nor do I
>> have any idea why he thought it would start when there’s a guy right next
>> to him still fixing it in the first place.
>>
>> The missing power coupler is returned! Why did they think it would start
>> without that? Luckily it attaches right behind the command chair so they
>> don’t have to build another set. But the shuttle still won’t start.
>>
>> Until the pilot kicks it! And it starts! And then it stops again.
>>
>> In the shower room, where they’re going to blow a hole in the hull because
>> there aren’t any doors that open to space like airlocks, the worthless
>> cargo people are having a dance party. The ginger robot beats them up and
>> gives them three seconds to clean up their mess and get out. Of course,
>> they just leave without cleaning up any mess because three seconds.
>>
>> They’ve made a fertilizer bomb out of the people they’ve gotten killed so
>> far because there are no explosives on the Ark because why would you
>> possibly need explosives to start a colony on an unknown world? They attach
>> the bomb to what is clearly not an exterior wall.
>>
>> KA-BOOM!
>>
>> They blow a hole! Now that we can see the explosion from the outside, it
>> comes out from what should have been the floor. But they stuck the bimb on
>> the wall. Which means they’ve got gravity going at 90° to how it should.
>> Also, I don’t think I’d have blown a hole in the rotating section.
>> Certainly not my first choice. And certainly not without calculations, as
>> to when to set it off!
>
> Gravity clearly doesn't work the same way in this universe as it does
> in ours.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”

<171486844.698345892.865276.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175742&group=rec.arts.tv#175742

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
and Push”
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 10:08:00 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 17:08 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-02-17 05:09:29 +0000, shawn said:
>
>> On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 08:23:50 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”
>>>

>> The thing I loved about the shuttle was that they showed that it
>> wasn't part of the rotating ring. So it is standing still which means
>> it shouldn't be emulating gravity. Yet we had everyone moving around
>> in that shuttle as though they were on Earth. Not even an attempt at
>> pretending they were weightless. Though I guess that shouldn't be a
>> surprise since the ship is apparently mass less as well so it can spin
>> on a dime and accelerate to a high speed in seconds.
>
> If these *idiots*! just watched "The Expanse", they would learn they
> could easily explain stuff like this with "mag boots"!! [roll]

The expanse has a lot of big stupid as well, where they weren’t
plagiarizing Larry Niven correctly.

>>> I don’t think the writers, and I use that word very loosely, have taken
>>> into consideration the fact that they are stopped dead. They are a light
>>> year from the nearest asteroid. And they’re an awfully small target.
>>
>> Ah, but they are a target and the universe has it's aim on them.
>
> Yes - it's not just a human conspiracy against the people on that ship
> - the "Gods" have it out for them too!! ;)

Our old friend Ob Veeus can’t understand why we’re watching this. Lines
like that have me agreeing with him.

>>> Oh my God. The ginger robot is asking the only surviving navigator if he
>>> can find a closer star system for them to go to. There’s not going to be
>>> anything closer than Proxima B. That’s why they’re going there. It’s the
>>> closest place to go!
>>
>> It's the closest solar system with a potentially habitable planet.
>> That doesn't mean it has to be the closest solar system. There could
>> potentially be one where they could have found a source of water, but
>> that turns out to be unnecessary.
>
> Again, she was making a point.

What point? That she’s an idiot?

I understand what you’re saying, but I don’t think the writers are smart
enough to have snuck something like that in there. I mean, they’ve got
other stars, whizzing past the ship.

> And the only thing modern astronomers would have missed at that
> distance would be, like, a Brown Dwarf system which wouldn't do them
> any good anyway. And would likely be nowhere near where they are in the
> first place!!
>
>>> The only one who knows how to fix the engines is the same woman who is the
>>> only one who knows how to fix the water reclamation unit. Not to mention
>>> she’s the one who broke the engines in the first place.
>>
>> What would they have done if she had died and the ranking officer had
>> lived instead? They really needed to rethink the training and
>> distribution of the knowledge among the various locations in the ship.
>
> "Warlita" (aka. Ava) clearly has an engineering crew - if "Warlita" was
> dead, there certainly would be somebody else on her team who could do
> her job. (Just, maybe not as well?... Or maybe, better?! - i.e. not
> taking coolant from the engines!!)
>
>>> Glasses girl gets both god and science wrong.
>>>
>>> It’s the Ark’s drift that is moving it in front of the asteroid (which is
>>> in turn coming at them at tremendous speed). They are drifting? When did
>>> that start? And Shirley they must have some sort of thrusters. If they move
>>> the thing a mile in any direction, that should do it.
>>
>> This was written by a second writer. The first writer believes the
>> ship would stop moving once the engines are turned off but this writer
>> knows that isn't the case. Too bad these writers apparently hate each
>> other so they never communicate and coordinate with each other.
>
> That may actually be true to life! I mean, how many "writers' rooms"
> hate each other?! I'm betting a lot - example: I think all the other
> "Seinfeld" writers hated Larry David, which is why he left after season
> #7. I bet this is true of "writers' rooms" most of the time...

Yes.
On the other hand, most writers rooms need to be nuked from orbit. It’s the
only way to be sure.
When I was at Fox, they had a writers room working on the newly acquired
Spider-Man property. Imagine half a dozen people sitting around saying “A
Spider-Man, a Spider-Man, what would that be?“ Because none of them would
condescend to read a comic book.

>>> There’s an incredibly stupid commercial about how comic book companies
>>> don’t hire Black people. It doesn’t actually end with anybody saying that’s
>>> wrong or the guy whose story it is getting a job. He just says his mother
>>> was nice about it. WTF?
>>>
>>> Close-up of the Ark. Ian is so lucky to be able to watch this in 4K!
>>>
>>> The idiot doctor (who slept through somebody stealing all her drugs on the
>>> other side of a curtain) says that she has to do a physical on the guy
>>> whose hand was eaten away by space diamonds because his file was corrupted.
>>> They have six hours to live. And she’s insisting she needs to do physicals.
>>
>> What else was she supposed to do with her time? It's not like she has
>> a med-bay full of patients.. Oh wait.. she does.
>>
>>> Hey! They’re finally in the gigantic room where they got the pre-lift off
>>> peptalk! It’s all full of comfy couches where people are sitting and
>>> chatting like they were in a shopping mall before the stores opened.
>>
>> Hey we get to see security girl standing around again talking to a
>> priest (or something religious.)
>
> Have I mentioned this show needs more naked nudity?!!... ;p

Yeah, but they’ll probably do a bait and switch on us and it will be the
Serbian security robot and not the female one.
See “HOMELAND“

<1245415279.698342668.891576.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175743&group=rec.arts.tv#175743

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: The snARK S01E03 “Get
out and Push”
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 10:09:49 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 17:09 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-02-16 15:23:50 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”
>>
>> (Also appearing in the master snARK thread)
>>
>> “An asteroid is headed for us!“
>>
>> No. It’s not. By definition it’s not. Whatever’s out there that’s gonna
>> smack you right in the face and hopefully kill you all, it’s not an
>> asteroid. The second word said on this episode is wrong.
>>
>> Ian, that scene from future episodes we keep seeing about the lightspeed
>> engines, she’s now saying “near lightspeed“
>
> I think I did notice that on the second go-round - makes sense, then,
> why it's still taking them 5 years to get to Proxima b...
>
>> So they are traveling ridiculously fast in normal space and relativity is
>> attached.
>
> Except when the engines are "off"... ;p

That’s actually another problem. They should be accelerating for the first
2 1/2 years and then do a turnaround and be decelerating for the second 2
1/2 years. As it is now they’re going to shoot right past alpha Centauri
at light speed!

>> Our reluctant heroes are chatting about their options. The guy who
>> shouldn’t be captain, but thinks he is, wants to use the solar sails. The
>> ginger robot says they’re too far from a star.
>
> Actually, cute Serbian engineer said that, not Garnet. (I looked at
> Garnet's uniform in this episode, and could swear it said "Barnet"!!)
>
>> Duh. So he says that they
>> should divert the power into the almost light speed engines which were shut
>> down from overheating because they had drained the coolant, so that makes
>> no sense, and everybody just ignores what he said anyway. Suddenly alarms
>> go off, indicating an asteroid is coming at them (it’s not) And they’re all
>> scared and stuff.
>
> Dumbest part of the episode - they act like the ship doesn't have
> lateral maneuvering thrusters (e.g. see the space shuttle) - for
> example to "turn" the ship. There is NO way they don't at least have
> those, which means they could have just used those to easily move
> laterally out of the path of the "asteroid".

Yep

> IOW, this entire episode was a contrived "crisis". [roll]
>
>> I don’t think the writers, and I use that word very loosely, have taken
>> into consideration the fact that they are stopped dead. They are a light
>> year from the nearest asteroid. And they’re an awfully small target.
>
> And all of that!
>
>> By the way, I finally got a good look at the whole ship, and all the
>> rotating sections are rotating the same way, which means the damn thing
>> should be precessing in the opposite direction. Also, the way it’s turning,
>> last week when the guy got speared by the narwhale, they were on the aft
>> section. Which means they got starboard wrong by any definition.
>>
>> Oh, yeah, they say that if they don’t get the engines back up to near
>> lightspeed, they’ll miss Proxima B. Why? They’re stopped dead in space.
>> It’s not like Proxima B is much of a moving target. This is like your car
>> breaking down in the middle of the Mojave desert and you saying that if you
>> don’t get back up to 55 miles an hour you’re going to miss Los Angeles. No,
>> you’re not. You might miss a scheduled arrival time but you aren’t gonna
>> miss the city. Neither of you is going anywhere.
>>
>> Oh my God. The ginger robot is asking the only surviving navigator if he
>> can find a closer star system for them to go to. There’s not going to be
>> anything closer than Proxima B. That’s why they’re going there. It’s the
>> closest place to go!
>
> She was making a point to Lane, who was being dumb during this whole part...
>
>> The only one who knows how to fix the engines is the same woman who is the
>> only one who knows how to fix the water reclamation unit. Not to mention
>> she’s the one who broke the engines in the first place.
>>
>> Glasses girl gets both god and science wrong.
>
> I still *hate* her - they are not improving this character in the least.

You’re right, she’s wearing thin fast.

> And, in this episode, farmer boy was starting to get just about as
> annoying... :/
>
>> It’s the Ark’s drift that is moving it in front of the asteroid (which is
>> in turn coming at them at tremendous speed). They are drifting? When did
>> that start? And Shirley they must have some sort of thrusters. If they move
>> the thing a mile in any direction, that should do it.
>>
>> There’s an incredibly stupid commercial about how comic book companies
>> don’t hire Black people. It doesn’t actually end with anybody saying that’s
>> wrong or the guy whose story it is getting a job. He just says his mother
>> was nice about it. WTF?
>>
>> Close-up of the Ark. Ian is so lucky to be able to watch this in 4K!
>
> My 4K TV is claming everything is "1080i" (incl. "The Ark"), even
> networks like ABC which I *know* are "720p"!!
>
> I think my TV is lying to me... ;)

No, it’s probably right. My cable box spits everything out at 1080i even
though it probably doesn’t take anything in at 1080i; it’s transcoding
everything. I actually have a setting to make it stop that and just give me
the image the way it arrives, but it has the small drawback that it looks
like rancid pig shit.

>> The idiot doctor (who slept through somebody stealing all her drugs on the
>> other side of a curtain) says that she has to do a physical on the guy
>> whose hand was eaten away by space diamonds because his file was corrupted.
>> They have six hours to live. And she’s insisting she needs to do physicals.
>
> Two things: 1) She was lying - she looked at his file, and saw
> anomalies, which she wants to check out (it ties into the story that
> the one grunt was telling about how Brice became the best pilot on
> Earth in just a year, or something...), and 2) she's had no sleep, so
> it's no wonder her judgement is shot!
>
>> Hey! They’re finally in the gigantic room where they got the pre-lift off
>> peptalk! It’s all full of comfy couches where people are sitting and
>> chatting like they were in a shopping mall before the stores opened.
>
> Including hott Serbian security grrrl from "The Outpost"!! ;)

She is my favorite!

>> The odds of being hit by an asteroid just drifting in space are one in
>> 700,326. Because that makes sense.
>
> Sure - let's just make up a number!

Especially when we know the real number, and it’s zero

>> Actually, the odds of you being hit by an asteroid 4/5 of the way between
>> Earth and Proxima B are absolutely zero. Also, they got so tired of saying
>> Proxima B that now they just call it Prox B.
>>
>> With four hours to go it occurs to them that they have shuttles. Lots and
>> lots of shuttles, or just a few with unlimited fuel supplies since they
>> were going to use them to take all 300 people down to the planet. Also,
>> another shot of the ship from below shows there are domes all over the
>> place facing in all different directions.
>>
>> Turns out there’s only one shuttle. The shuttle isn’t berthed, it just
>> hangs down below from the super structure. Which means you don’t have to
>> uncouple it from the ark. You can just use the engines as they are. There
>> would be no possible reason to unattach it, and fly around and look for a
>> place on the Ark to shove and use it in a way other than it was intended. I
>> haven’t watched the next segment yet, but I am taking bets.
>>
>> The shuttle won’t start! It turns out various people have been scavenging
>> it for parts to fix other systems. And yet it didn’t occur to any of them
>> that it was actually there. Also, there doesn’t seem to be any way to get
>> to the shuttle from the Ark in the first place.
>
> Heh.
>
>> The parts are not plug and play which means they’re going to have to
>> re-calibrate everything even though they’re taking the original parts and
>> putting them back where they got them in the first place and even though
>> they’re talking about stuff like fuel hoses.
>>
>> Plan C is to blow a hole in the hull and let the escaping air pressure push
>> them out of the way. Because they don’t have airlocks I guess.
>
> Or maneuvering thrusters!... [roll]

Click here to read the complete article
Re: The snARK S01E03 ?Get out and Push?

<4hhvuhp6que6j18qj9800b1jgrtr5bp9aq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175752&group=rec.arts.tv#175752

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 13:44:36 -0500
 by: shawn - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 18:44 UTC

On Fri, 17 Feb 2023 10:09:49 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2023-02-16 15:23:50 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>>
>>> The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”
>>>
>>> (Also appearing in the master snARK thread)
>>>
>>> “An asteroid is headed for us!“
>>>
>>> No. It’s not. By definition it’s not. Whatever’s out there that’s gonna
>>> smack you right in the face and hopefully kill you all, it’s not an
>>> asteroid. The second word said on this episode is wrong.
>>>
>>> Ian, that scene from future episodes we keep seeing about the lightspeed
>>> engines, she’s now saying “near lightspeed“
>>
>> I think I did notice that on the second go-round - makes sense, then,
>> why it's still taking them 5 years to get to Proxima b...
>>
>>> So they are traveling ridiculously fast in normal space and relativity is
>>> attached.
>>
>> Except when the engines are "off"... ;p
>
>That’s actually another problem. They should be accelerating for the first
>2 1/2 years and then do a turnaround and be decelerating for the second 2
>1/2 years. As it is now they’re going to shoot right past alpha Centauri
>at light speed!

Not when they put on the brakes. That would take them from near light
speed to zero in no more than a day, if that.

>>> Our reluctant heroes are chatting about their options. The guy who
>>> shouldn’t be captain, but thinks he is, wants to use the solar sails. The
>>> ginger robot says they’re too far from a star.
>>
>> Actually, cute Serbian engineer said that, not Garnet. (I looked at
>> Garnet's uniform in this episode, and could swear it said "Barnet"!!)
>>
>>> Duh. So he says that they
>>> should divert the power into the almost light speed engines which were shut
>>> down from overheating because they had drained the coolant, so that makes
>>> no sense, and everybody just ignores what he said anyway. Suddenly alarms
>>> go off, indicating an asteroid is coming at them (it’s not) And they’re all
>>> scared and stuff.
>>
>> Dumbest part of the episode - they act like the ship doesn't have
>> lateral maneuvering thrusters (e.g. see the space shuttle) - for
>> example to "turn" the ship. There is NO way they don't at least have
>> those, which means they could have just used those to easily move
>> laterally out of the path of the "asteroid".
>
>Yep

That was written by the writer that doesn't believe that zero gravity
exists.

>> IOW, this entire episode was a contrived "crisis". [roll]
>>
>>> I don’t think the writers, and I use that word very loosely, have taken
>>> into consideration the fact that they are stopped dead. They are a light
>>> year from the nearest asteroid. And they’re an awfully small target.
>>
>> And all of that!
>>
>>> By the way, I finally got a good look at the whole ship, and all the
>>> rotating sections are rotating the same way, which means the damn thing
>>> should be precessing in the opposite direction. Also, the way it’s turning,
>>> last week when the guy got speared by the narwhale, they were on the aft
>>> section. Which means they got starboard wrong by any definition.
>>>
>>> Oh, yeah, they say that if they don’t get the engines back up to near
>>> lightspeed, they’ll miss Proxima B. Why? They’re stopped dead in space.
>>> It’s not like Proxima B is much of a moving target. This is like your car
>>> breaking down in the middle of the Mojave desert and you saying that if you
>>> don’t get back up to 55 miles an hour you’re going to miss Los Angeles. No,
>>> you’re not. You might miss a scheduled arrival time but you aren’t gonna
>>> miss the city. Neither of you is going anywhere.
>>>
>>> Oh my God. The ginger robot is asking the only surviving navigator if he
>>> can find a closer star system for them to go to. There’s not going to be
>>> anything closer than Proxima B. That’s why they’re going there. It’s the
>>> closest place to go!
>>
>> She was making a point to Lane, who was being dumb during this whole part...
>>
>>> The only one who knows how to fix the engines is the same woman who is the
>>> only one who knows how to fix the water reclamation unit. Not to mention
>>> she’s the one who broke the engines in the first place.
>>>
>>> Glasses girl gets both god and science wrong.
>>
>> I still *hate* her - they are not improving this character in the least.
>>

>You’re right, she’s wearing thin fast.

The only thing she has going for her is that she is cute. Not
impossibly cute, but cute none the less.

>> And, in this episode, farmer boy was starting to get just about as
>> annoying... :/
>>
>>> It’s the Ark’s drift that is moving it in front of the asteroid (which is
>>> in turn coming at them at tremendous speed). They are drifting? When did
>>> that start? And Shirley they must have some sort of thrusters. If they move
>>> the thing a mile in any direction, that should do it.
>>>
>>> There’s an incredibly stupid commercial about how comic book companies
>>> don’t hire Black people. It doesn’t actually end with anybody saying that’s
>>> wrong or the guy whose story it is getting a job. He just says his mother
>>> was nice about it. WTF?
>>>
>>> Close-up of the Ark. Ian is so lucky to be able to watch this in 4K!
>>
>> My 4K TV is claming everything is "1080i" (incl. "The Ark"), even
>> networks like ABC which I *know* are "720p"!!
>>
>> I think my TV is lying to me... ;)
>
>No, it’s probably right. My cable box spits everything out at 1080i even
>though it probably doesn’t take anything in at 1080i; it’s transcoding
>everything. I actually have a setting to make it stop that and just give me
>the image the way it arrives, but it has the small drawback that it looks
>like rancid pig shit.

Yeah, the default on all of these TVs is to transcode to a single
resolution. It's possible Ian's new TV can automatically switch
resolutions but that would be something he needs to set up.

>>> The idiot doctor (who slept through somebody stealing all her drugs on the
>>> other side of a curtain) says that she has to do a physical on the guy
>>> whose hand was eaten away by space diamonds because his file was corrupted.
>>> They have six hours to live. And she’s insisting she needs to do physicals.
>>
>> Two things: 1) She was lying - she looked at his file, and saw
>> anomalies, which she wants to check out (it ties into the story that
>> the one grunt was telling about how Brice became the best pilot on
>> Earth in just a year, or something...), and 2) she's had no sleep, so
>> it's no wonder her judgement is shot!
>>
>>> Hey! They’re finally in the gigantic room where they got the pre-lift off
>>> peptalk! It’s all full of comfy couches where people are sitting and
>>> chatting like they were in a shopping mall before the stores opened.
>>
>> Including hott Serbian security grrrl from "The Outpost"!! ;)
>>

>She is my favorite!

Does she have trouble delivering her lines? They keep putting her in
the background but give her nothing to say.

>>> The odds of being hit by an asteroid just drifting in space are one in
>>> 700,326. Because that makes sense.
>>
>> Sure - let's just make up a number!
>
>Especially when we know the real number, and it’s zero

Ah, but this way it makes the Navigator sound smart. (Do they need a
Navigator on a ship that was supposed to be on auto-pilot for the
entire journey?) He didn't give a range but a very specific number
that no one challenged.

>>> Actually, the odds of you being hit by an asteroid 4/5 of the way between
>>> Earth and Proxima B are absolutely zero. Also, they got so tired of saying
>>> Proxima B that now they just call it Prox B.
>>>
>>> With four hours to go it occurs to them that they have shuttles. Lots and
>>> lots of shuttles, or just a few with unlimited fuel supplies since they
>>> were going to use them to take all 300 people down to the planet. Also,
>>> another shot of the ship from below shows there are domes all over the
>>> place facing in all different directions.
>>>
>>> Turns out there’s only one shuttle. The shuttle isn’t berthed, it just
>>> hangs down below from the super structure. Which means you don’t have to
>>> uncouple it from the ark. You can just use the engines as they are. There
>>> would be no possible reason to unattach it, and fly around and look for a
>>> place on the Ark to shove and use it in a way other than it was intended. I
>>> haven’t watched the next segment yet, but I am taking bets.
>>>
>>> The shuttle won’t start! It turns out various people have been scavenging
>>> it for parts to fix other systems. And yet it didn’t occur to any of them
>>> that it was actually there. Also, there doesn’t seem to be any way to get
>>> to the shuttle from the Ark in the first place.
>>
>> Heh.
>>
>>> The parts are not plug and play which means they’re going to have to
>>> re-calibrate everything even though they’re taking the original parts and
>>> putting them back where they got them in the first place and even though
>>> they’re talking about stuff like fuel hoses.
>>>
>>> Plan C is to blow a hole in the hull and let the escaping air pressure push
>>> them out of the way. Because they don’t have airlocks I guess.
>>
>> Or maneuvering thrusters!... [roll]
>
>And the only way to breach the hull is with homemade explosives? We know
>they have drilling equipment!

Click here to read the complete article
Re: The snARK S01E03 ?Get out and Push?

<23jvuh1ar9sdqqqgps9egrk4hijcqlimau@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175755&group=rec.arts.tv#175755

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 14:06:38 -0500
 by: shawn - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 19:06 UTC

On Fri, 17 Feb 2023 10:07:59 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 08:23:50 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”
>>>

>> The thing I loved about the shuttle was that they showed that it
>> wasn't part of the rotating ring. So it is standing still which means
>> it shouldn't be emulating gravity. Yet we had everyone moving around
>> in that shuttle as though they were on Earth. Not even an attempt at
>> pretending they were weightless. Though I guess that shouldn't be a
>> surprise since the ship is apparently mass less as well so it can spin
>> on a dime and accelerate to a high speed in seconds.
>
>I gave up after calculating half a dozen directions, that gravity Works in
>the ark. The only commonality is that there’s gravity everywhere inside the
>arc, and nowhere outside the arc. The shuttle seems to obey the “galactic
>South” gravity direction.

Yet no one mentions any sort of gravity control.

>>> I don’t think the writers, and I use that word very loosely, have taken
>>> into consideration the fact that they are stopped dead. They are a light
>>> year from the nearest asteroid. And they’re an awfully small target.
>>
>> Ah, but they are a target and the universe has it's aim on them.
>>

>That guy never gets to use the PA system again!
>

>>> Oh my God. The ginger robot is asking the only surviving navigator if he
>>> can find a closer star system for them to go to. There’s not going to be
>>> anything closer than Proxima B. That’s why they’re going there. It’s the
>>> closest place to go!
>>
>> It's the closest solar system with a potentially habitable planet.
>> That doesn't mean it has to be the closest solar system. There could
>> potentially be one where they could have found a source of water, but
>> that turns out to be unnecessary.
>
>Proxima B, orbits Proxima Centauri B, the closest star to the sun. It’s
>the same place to Jupiter 2 was going. Back then they just called it Alpha
>Centauri.

I didn't give a thought to what system they were going to. Much like
the writers (at least writer #1) gave no thought to how
gravity/mass/inertia works. Hey, maybe I could be writer #3 on the
second season of the Ark, should we be condemned to have one.

>>> Glasses girl gets both god and science wrong.
>>>
>>> It’s the Ark’s drift that is moving it in front of the asteroid (which is
>>> in turn coming at them at tremendous speed). They are drifting? When did
>>> that start? And Shirley they must have some sort of thrusters. If they move
>>> the thing a mile in any direction, that should do it.
>>
>> This was written by a second writer. The first writer believes the
>> ship would stop moving once the engines are turned off but this writer
>> knows that isn't the case. Too bad these writers apparently hate each
>> other so they never communicate and coordinate with each other.
>>

>Good theory!
>This reminds me of an interview I read back when the original quantum Leap
>was airing with one of the two women who wrote novelizations of the show. I
>don’t think they had ever met. The one being interviewed said that they
>disagreed on how it worked. The other one thought it was just Sam’s mind
>that went back (she was wrong), and the one being interviewed said it was
>Sam’s body that went back, but everybody saw it as the person he was
>replacing. She was right, although there may be conflicting evidence since
>I stopped watching quantum Leap in season two. There was an episode with an
>incredibly young Jennifer Aniston, where Sam leapt into a guy without legs
>and he could run around and the history people saw the legless guy
>levitating.
>

>>> There’s an incredibly stupid commercial about how comic book companies
>>> don’t hire Black people. It doesn’t actually end with anybody saying that’s
>>> wrong or the guy whose story it is getting a job. He just says his mother
>>> was nice about it. WTF?

So she was happy about the discrimination?

>>> Close-up of the Ark. Ian is so lucky to be able to watch this in 4K!
>>>
>>> The idiot doctor (who slept through somebody stealing all her drugs on the
>>> other side of a curtain) says that she has to do a physical on the guy
>>> whose hand was eaten away by space diamonds because his file was corrupted.
>>> They have six hours to live. And she’s insisting she needs to do physicals.
>>
>> What else was she supposed to do with her time? It's not like she has
>> a med-bay full of patients.. Oh wait.. she does.
>
>Or she could just take a nap!

She apparently did take one in this episode and look what happened.
She needs to be awake 24-7 to both treat patients and guard the
medicine that they need to stay healthy. What she needs is to be a
ginger robot, but apparently Earth only had time or resources for one
of those.

>>> Hey! They’re finally in the gigantic room where they got the pre-lift off
>>> peptalk! It’s all full of comfy couches where people are sitting and
>>> chatting like they were in a shopping mall before the stores opened.
>>
>> Hey we get to see security girl standing around again talking to a
>> priest (or something religious.)
>
>She’s in a bunch of scenes, but once again, she got no lines that I heard.

I don't mind her being in a number of scenes. I just find it odd that
they aren't giving her any lines.

>>> The odds of being hit by an asteroid just drifting in space are one in
>>> 700,326. Because that makes sense.
>>>
>>> Actually, the odds of you being hit by an asteroid 4/5 of the way between
>>> Earth and Proxima B are absolutely zero. Also, they got so tired of saying
>>> Proxima B that now they just call it Prox B.
>>>
>>> With four hours to go it occurs to them that they have shuttles. Lots and
>>> lots of shuttles, or just a few with unlimited fuel supplies since they
>>> were going to use them to take all 300 people down to the planet. Also,
>>> another shot of the ship from below shows there are domes all over the
>>> place facing in all different directions.
>>>
>>> Turns out there’s only one shuttle. The shuttle isn’t berthed, it just
>>> hangs down below from the super structure. Which means you don’t have to
>>> uncouple it from the ark. You can just use the engines as they are. There
>>> would be no possible reason to unattach it, and fly around and look for a
>>> place on the Ark to shove and use it in a way other than it was intended. I
>>> haven’t watched the next segment yet, but I am taking bets.
>> One shuttle. Certainly nothing could happen to it in a 5 year journey
>> across space that would make it impossible for the people on the ship
>> to get down to the planet. You have to wonder if this whole plan was
>> just some sort of sick joke to kill off everyone on board the ship as
>> there were way too many ways this plan could go wrong.
>>

>Have you watched ASCENSION?

I haven't. Is it worth the time?

I'm assuming you don't mean this one (The absorbingly cinematic
Ascension explores the pursuit of the "Chinese Dream." This
observational documentary presents a contemporary vision of China that
prioritizes productivity and innovation above all.) but do mean this
one (A young woman's murder causes the subjects of a century-long
mission to populate a new world to question the true nature of the
project as they approach the point of no return.) or any of the
multiple movies/series named Ascension.

>>> The shuttle won’t start! It turns out various people have been scavenging
>>> it for parts to fix other systems. And yet it didn’t occur to any of them
>>> that it was actually there. Also, there doesn’t seem to be any way to get
>>> to the shuttle from the Ark in the first place.
>>
>> Out of sight, out of mind.
>>
>>> The parts are not plug and play which means they’re going to have to
>>> re-calibrate everything even though they’re taking the original parts and
>>> putting them back where they got them in the first place and even though
>>> they’re talking about stuff like fuel hoses.
>>>
>>> Plan C is to blow a hole in the hull and let the escaping air pressure push
>>> them out of the way. Because they don’t have airlocks I guess.
>>>
>>> Luckily the missing shuttle fuel hose, a standard 1 foot length of
>>> translucent plastic hose available at any auto parts store they have in
>>> Serbia, attaches right underneath the command chair so they don’t have to
>>> build another set. But the shuttle doesn’t start so the pilot tells the guy
>>> who is trying to fix it to stop fixing it because… I have no idea. Nor do I
>>> have any idea why he thought it would start when there’s a guy right next
>>> to him still fixing it in the first place.
>>>
>>> The missing power coupler is returned! Why did they think it would start
>>> without that? Luckily it attaches right behind the command chair so they
>>> don’t have to build another set. But the shuttle still won’t start.
>>>
>>> Until the pilot kicks it! And it starts! And then it stops again.
>>>
>>> In the shower room, where they’re going to blow a hole in the hull because
>>> there aren’t any doors that open to space like airlocks, the worthless
>>> cargo people are having a dance party. The ginger robot beats them up and
>>> gives them three seconds to clean up their mess and get out. Of course,
>>> they just leave without cleaning up any mess because three seconds.
>>>
>>> They’ve made a fertilizer bomb out of the people they’ve gotten killed so
>>> far because there are no explosives on the Ark because why would you
>>> possibly need explosives to start a colony on an unknown world? They attach
>>> the bomb to what is clearly not an exterior wall.
>>>
>>> KA-BOOM!
>>>
>>> They blow a hole! Now that we can see the explosion from the outside, it
>>> comes out from what should have been the floor. But they stuck the bimb on
>>> the wall. Which means they’ve got gravity going at 90° to how it should.
>>> Also, I don’t think I’d have blown a hole in the rotating section.
>>> Certainly not my first choice. And certainly not without calculations, as
>>> to when to set it off!
>>
>> Gravity clearly doesn't work the same way in this universe as it does
>> in ours.
>
>Hell, gravity doesn’t even work the same way from one room to another!

Click here to read the complete article
Re: The snARK S01E03 ?Get out and Push?

<f3kvuh9nq2mudmp18m7o878dnbrm5edav0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175756&group=rec.arts.tv#175756

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 14:19:22 -0500
 by: shawn - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 19:19 UTC

On Fri, 17 Feb 2023 10:08:00 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2023-02-17 05:09:29 +0000, shawn said:

>>> The thing I loved about the shuttle was that they showed that it
>>> wasn't part of the rotating ring. So it is standing still which means
>>> it shouldn't be emulating gravity. Yet we had everyone moving around
>>> in that shuttle as though they were on Earth. Not even an attempt at
>>> pretending they were weightless. Though I guess that shouldn't be a
>>> surprise since the ship is apparently mass less as well so it can spin
>>> on a dime and accelerate to a high speed in seconds.
>>
>> If these *idiots*! just watched "The Expanse", they would learn they
>> could easily explain stuff like this with "mag boots"!! [roll]
>>

>The expanse has a lot of big stupid as well, where they weren’t
>plagiarizing Larry Niven correctly.

>>> Ah, but they are a target and the universe has it's aim on them.
>>
>> Yes - it's not just a human conspiracy against the people on that ship
>> - the "Gods" have it out for them too!! ;)
>
>Our old friend Ob Veeus can’t understand why we’re watching this. Lines
>like that have me agreeing with him.

>>> It's the closest solar system with a potentially habitable planet.
>>> That doesn't mean it has to be the closest solar system. There could
>>> potentially be one where they could have found a source of water, but
>>> that turns out to be unnecessary.
>>
>> Again, she was making a point.
>
>What point? That she’s an idiot?
>
>I understand what you’re saying, but I don’t think the writers are smart
>enough to have snuck something like that in there. I mean, they’ve got
>other stars, whizzing past the ship.

I'm starting to wonder if we aren't seeing what is actually happening.
Instead this ship is moving forward to Proxima but it's also spinning
rapidly. Yes, the entire ship is spinning so that is why we see
numerous stars spinning by in the distance even though the ship is
travelling towards Proxima. (Yes, it's a silly idea, but it would help
explain some of the gravity issues and why they apparently are passing
multiple stars while on the way to the closest star system to Earth.)

>> And the only thing modern astronomers would have missed at that
>> distance would be, like, a Brown Dwarf system which wouldn't do them
>> any good anyway. And would likely be nowhere near where they are in the
>> first place!!

>>> What would they have done if she had died and the ranking officer had
>>> lived instead? They really needed to rethink the training and
>>> distribution of the knowledge among the various locations in the ship.
>>
>> "Warlita" (aka. Ava) clearly has an engineering crew - if "Warlita" was
>> dead, there certainly would be somebody else on her team who could do
>> her job. (Just, maybe not as well?... Or maybe, better?! - i.e. not
>> taking coolant from the engines!!)

>>> This was written by a second writer. The first writer believes the
>>> ship would stop moving once the engines are turned off but this writer
>>> knows that isn't the case. Too bad these writers apparently hate each
>>> other so they never communicate and coordinate with each other.
>>
>> That may actually be true to life! I mean, how many "writers' rooms"
>> hate each other?! I'm betting a lot - example: I think all the other
>> "Seinfeld" writers hated Larry David, which is why he left after season
>> #7. I bet this is true of "writers' rooms" most of the time...
>>

>Yes.
>On the other hand, most writers rooms need to be nuked from orbit. It’s the
>only way to be sure.
>When I was at Fox, they had a writers room working on the newly acquired
>Spider-Man property. Imagine half a dozen people sitting around saying “A
>Spider-Man, a Spider-Man, what would that be?“ Because none of them would
>condescend to read a comic book.

How can you take on a new project based on an existing product and not
at least try to understand what you are working with. Even if you want
to go in a new direction it helps to understand what the basis is.

>>> What else was she supposed to do with her time? It's not like she has
>>> a med-bay full of patients.. Oh wait.. she does.

>>> Hey we get to see security girl standing around again talking to a
>>> priest (or something religious.)
>>
>> Have I mentioned this show needs more naked nudity?!!... ;p
>>

>Yeah, but they’ll probably do a bait and switch on us and it will be the
>Serbian security robot and not the female one.
>See “HOMELAND“

Now you are making me hopeful for the idea that I had in my other post
that we could end up with multiple cute security girls. My idea was
that they could be clones but robots works just as well.

<256332834.698355602.518193.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175759&group=rec.arts.tv#175759

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
and Push”
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 12:50:24 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 19:50 UTC

> On Fri, 17 Feb 2023 10:09:49 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> I think I did notice that on the second go-round - makes sense, then,
>>> why it's still taking them 5 years to get to Proxima b...

>>> Except when the engines are "off"... ;p
>>
>> That’s actually another problem. They should be accelerating for the first
>> 2 1/2 years and then do a turnaround and be decelerating for the second 2
>> 1/2 years. As it is now they’re going to shoot right past alpha Centauri
>> at light speed!
>
> Not when they put on the brakes. That would take them from near light
> speed to zero in no more than a day, if that.

Just drain the coolant again I guess.

>>> Actually, cute Serbian engineer said that, not Garnet. (I looked at
>>> Garnet's uniform in this episode, and could swear it said "Barnet"!!)

>>> Dumbest part of the episode - they act like the ship doesn't have
>>> lateral maneuvering thrusters (e.g. see the space shuttle) - for
>>> example to "turn" the ship. There is NO way they don't at least have
>>> those, which means they could have just used those to easily move
>>> laterally out of the path of the "asteroid".
>>
>> Yep
>

> That was written by the writer that doesn't believe that zero gravity
> exists.

Lol

>>> IOW, this entire episode was a contrived "crisis". [roll]

>>> And all of that!

>>> She was making a point to Lane, who was being dumb during this whole part...

>>> I still *hate* her - they are not improving this character in the least.
>>>

>> You’re right, she’s wearing thin fast.
>
> The only thing she has going for her is that she is cute. Not
> impossibly cute, but cute none the less.
>
>>> And, in this episode, farmer boy was starting to get just about as
>>> annoying... :/

>>> My 4K TV is claming everything is "1080i" (incl. "The Ark"), even
>>> networks like ABC which I *know* are "720p"!!
>>>
>>> I think my TV is lying to me... ;)
>>
>> No, it’s probably right. My cable box spits everything out at 1080i even
>> though it probably doesn’t take anything in at 1080i; it’s transcoding
>> everything. I actually have a setting to make it stop that and just give me
>> the image the way it arrives, but it has the small drawback that it looks
>> like rancid pig shit.
>
> Yeah, the default on all of these TVs is to transcode to a single
> resolution. It's possible Ian's new TV can automatically switch
> resolutions but that would be something he needs to set up.

>>> Two things: 1) She was lying - she looked at his file, and saw
>>> anomalies, which she wants to check out (it ties into the story that
>>> the one grunt was telling about how Brice became the best pilot on
>>> Earth in just a year, or something...), and 2) she's had no sleep, so
>>> it's no wonder her judgement is shot!

>>> Including hott Serbian security grrrl from "The Outpost"!! ;)
>>>

>> She is my favorite!
>
> Does she have trouble delivering her lines? They keep putting her in
> the background but give her nothing to say.

She apparently only talks in her bunk.
It would’ve been an OK running gag if she never spoke at all but since she
spoke, just find that one time, it’s just stupid that she doesn’t speak at
other times.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”

<tsom93$3nch0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175761&group=rec.arts.tv#175761

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 11:58:27 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 19:58 UTC

On 2023-02-17 19:50:24 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Feb 2023 10:09:49 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>> wrote:

>>> She is my favorite!
>>
>> Does she have trouble delivering her lines? They keep putting her in
>> the background but give her nothing to say.
>
> She apparently only talks in her bunk.
> It would’ve been an OK running gag if she never spoke at all but since she
> spoke, just find that one time, it’s just stupid that she doesn’t speak at
> other times.

The scenes from later episodes actually show her talking in multiple
scenes - so she must get more diaolgue later.

So she's actually doing better than the other bit player who had a
couple of lines of dialogue with the blonde relationship expert in the
pilot, and has been forgotten about ever since!

>>> With all his copious free time
>>
>> He can interrogate people while he fixes their boo-boos.
>
> Fairpoint

This actually could be a good/funny bit, if they do it right! ;)

Re: The snARK S01E03 ?Get out and Push?

<h1ovuhdtqqmtb7bsa6s2sl1r2e9dgvbqn0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175764&group=rec.arts.tv#175764

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 15:23:51 -0500
 by: shawn - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 20:23 UTC

On Fri, 17 Feb 2023 12:50:24 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Feb 2023 10:09:49 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>> wrote:

>>> That’s actually another problem. They should be accelerating for the first
>>> 2 1/2 years and then do a turnaround and be decelerating for the second 2
>>> 1/2 years. As it is now they’re going to shoot right past alpha Centauri
>>> at light speed!
>>
>> Not when they put on the brakes. That would take them from near light
>> speed to zero in no more than a day, if that.
>
>Just drain the coolant again I guess.

>>> Yep
>>

>> That was written by the writer that doesn't believe that zero gravity
>> exists.
>
>Lol

snip

>>> She is my favorite!
>>
>> Does she have trouble delivering her lines? They keep putting her in
>> the background but give her nothing to say.
>
>She apparently only talks in her bunk.
>It would’ve been an OK running gag if she never spoke at all but since she
>spoke, just find that one time, it’s just stupid that she doesn’t speak at
>other times.

You have to wonder why they don't use her more. Maybe it's one of
those awful male directors who think women should just look pretty and
stay quiet.. Yeah, that's probably it. ;)

>>> Especially when we know the real number, and it’s zero
>>
>> Ah, but this way it makes the Navigator sound smart. (Do they need a
>> Navigator on a ship that was supposed to be on auto-pilot for the
>> entire journey?) He didn't give a range but a very specific number
>> that no one challenged.
>
>Actually, he is the only surviving navigator, which means they had a bunch
>of them they didn’t need.

So maybe his real skill at navigation is only planet side. That would
explain the desire to have multiple navigators as they would certainly
be doing lots of exploration planet side. Though with only one shuttle
that is going to limit how much exploration they can do. Although
maybe they have planes store on the ship that they can load into the
shuttle to carry it down to the planet, but that would require
foresight. Something that the planners of this mission seem to be
sorely lacking.

snip

>>> Once the miles and miles of refueling hose go taut either the ark and the
>>> comet are matching course and speed or the hose is snapping.
>>>

>> Of course if they had miles of refueling (?) hose on board it must
>> have been taking up most of the ship's free space. I guess the other
>> end of the hose where they must have had a clamp to stop it from just
>> continuing to reel out must have been an unbelievable strong bond so
>> that sudden pull didn't strain that clamp, unlike what was going on
>> with the end attached to the shuttle.

>>> I don’t. I think they’re going for liquid core. That doesn’t freeze once it
>>> gets outside. But it’s still safe to drink.
>>>

>> Yep, pure water with no dangerous containments is all that you will
>> find in comets. At least in the Ark's universe.

>>> On the assumption, that this is hydrogen and oxygen, in the first place!
>>
>> Yeah, I was kind of hoping that the contents would be liquid methane
>> for a nice change.
>
>Hee hee

Click here to read the complete article
Re: The snARK S01E03 ?Get out and Push?

<m6pvuh97jv50cpuueinh9bgu3cefncai38@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175766&group=rec.arts.tv#175766

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 15:36:26 -0500
 by: shawn - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 20:36 UTC

On Fri, 17 Feb 2023 11:58:27 -0800, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>On 2023-02-17 19:50:24 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

>>> Does she have trouble delivering her lines? They keep putting her in
>>> the background but give her nothing to say.
>>
>> She apparently only talks in her bunk.
>> It would’ve been an OK running gag if she never spoke at all but since she
>> spoke, just find that one time, it’s just stupid that she doesn’t speak at
>> other times.
>
>The scenes from later episodes actually show her talking in multiple
>scenes - so she must get more diaolgue later.

Hmm, so that makes me wonder why they keep showing her in the
background unless someone just likes the eye candy. Or maybe she got a
contract that has her being paid for every episode so they've decided
to use her in every episode even if she has no actual part to play in
the events of that episode.

>So she's actually doing better than the other bit player who had a
>couple of lines of dialogue with the blonde relationship expert in the
>pilot, and has been forgotten about ever since!

>>> He can interrogate people while he fixes their boo-boos.
>>
>> Fairpoint
>
>This actually could be a good/funny bit, if they do it right! ;)

LOL, what show are you watching?

Re: The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”

<tsot11$3o0h0$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175780&group=rec.arts.tv#175780

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 13:53:39 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 21:53 UTC

On 2/17/2023 9:07 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 08:23:50 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”
>>>

>>> Oh my God. The ginger robot is asking the only surviving navigator if he
>>> can find a closer star system for them to go to. There’s not going to be
>>> anything closer than Proxima B. That’s why they’re going there. It’s the
>>> closest place to go!
>>
>> It's the closest solar system with a potentially habitable planet.
>> That doesn't mean it has to be the closest solar system. There could
>> potentially be one where they could have found a source of water, but
>> that turns out to be unnecessary.
>
> Proxima B, orbits Proxima Centauri B, the closest star to the sun. It’s
> the same place to Jupiter 2 was going. Back then they just called it Alpha
> Centauri.

You owe me ice cream, 22 minutes worth.

dirty old man.

Re: The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”

<tsot2p$3o0h0$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175781&group=rec.arts.tv#175781

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 13:54:35 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 21:54 UTC

On 2/17/2023 9:09 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2023-02-16 15:23:50 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>>
>>> The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”
>>>
>>> (Also appearing in the master snARK thread)
>>>
>>> “An asteroid is headed for us!“
>>>
>>> No. It’s not. By definition it’s not. Whatever’s out there that’s gonna
>>> smack you right in the face and hopefully kill you all, it’s not an
>>> asteroid. The second word said on this episode is wrong.
>>>
>>> Ian, that scene from future episodes we keep seeing about the lightspeed
>>> engines, she’s now saying “near lightspeed“
>>
>> I think I did notice that on the second go-round - makes sense, then,
>> why it's still taking them 5 years to get to Proxima b...
>>
>>> So they are traveling ridiculously fast in normal space and relativity is
>>> attached.
>>
>> Except when the engines are "off"... ;p
>
> That’s actually another problem. They should be accelerating for the first
> 2 1/2 years and then do a turnaround and be decelerating for the second 2
> 1/2 years. As it is now they’re going to shoot right past alpha Centauri
> at light speed!

And that would be bad because....?

dirty old man.

Re: The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”

<1778572075.698364171.631199.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175784&group=rec.arts.tv#175784

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
out and Push”
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 15:20:44 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 22:20 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 2/17/2023 9:09 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> I think I did notice that on the second go-round - makes sense, then,
>>> why it's still taking them 5 years to get to Proxima b...

>>> Except when the engines are "off"... ;p
>>
>> That’s actually another problem. They should be accelerating for the first
>> 2 1/2 years and then do a turnaround and be decelerating for the second 2
>> 1/2 years. As it is now they’re going to shoot right past alpha Centauri
>> at light speed!
>>
> And that would be bad because....?

I am betting the Alpha Centaurians are damn glad about it.

Re: The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”

<tspi2b$3sq6f$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175817&group=rec.arts.tv#175817

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 20:52:43 -0700
 by: David Johnston - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 03:52 UTC

On 2023-02-16 8:23 a.m., anim8rfsk wrote:

> Actually, the odds of you being hit by an asteroid 4/5 of the way between
> Earth and Proxima B are absolutely zero.

Whats the reason why there can't be a lump of rock in interstellar space?

Re: The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”

<tspn8f$3tg2k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175822&group=rec.arts.tv#175822

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 21:21:22 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 05:21 UTC

On 2/17/2023 7:52 PM, David Johnston wrote:
> On 2023-02-16 8:23 a.m., anim8rfsk wrote:
>

>> Actually, the odds of you being hit by an asteroid 4/5 of the way between
>> Earth and Proxima B are absolutely zero.
>
> Whats the reason why there can't be a lump of rock in interstellar space?

as·ter·oid
/ˈastəˌroid/
noun: asteroid; plural noun: asteroids

1.
a small rocky body orbiting the sun.

It can be a lumpy of rock in interstellar space, but then its not an
"asteroid". Its just an interstellar lumpy rock.

dirty old man.

Re: Re0 The snARK S01E03 €Get out and Push€

<tspr76$3u0su$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175831&group=rec.arts.tv#175831

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Re0 The snARK S01E03 €Get out and Push€
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 22:28:54 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 06:28 UTC

On 2023-02-18 05:21:22 +0000, Dimensional Traveler said:

> On 2/17/2023 7:52 PM, David Johnston wrote:
>> On 2023-02-16 8:23 a.m., anim8rfsk wrote:
>>

>>> Actually, the odds of you being hit by an asteroid 4/5 of the way between
>>> Earth and Proxima B are absolutely zero.
>>
>> Whats the reason why there can't be a lump of rock in interstellar space?
>>
> as·ter·oid
> /ˈastəˌroid/
> noun: asteroid; plural noun: asteroids
>
> 1.
> a small rocky body orbiting the sun.
>
> It can be a lumpy of rock in interstellar space, but then its not an
> "asteroid". Its just an interstellar lumpy rock.

There are "rouge planets" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_planet
) so I've got to think that it might be called a "rogue asteroid", but
it looks like the correct term is just "interstellar object"...

Re: The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”

<tspv80$3ufgf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175836&group=rec.arts.tv#175836

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 00:37:35 -0700
 by: David Johnston - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 07:37 UTC

On 2023-02-17 10:21 p.m., Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 2/17/2023 7:52 PM, David Johnston wrote:
>> On 2023-02-16 8:23 a.m., anim8rfsk wrote:
>>

>>> Actually, the odds of you being hit by an asteroid 4/5 of the way
>>> between
>>> Earth and Proxima B are absolutely zero.
>>
>> Whats the reason why there can't be a lump of rock in interstellar space?
>>
> as·ter·oid
> /ˈastəˌroid/
> noun: asteroid; plural noun: asteroids
>
>     1.
>     a small rocky body orbiting the sun.
>
> It can be a lumpy of rock in interstellar space, but then its not an
> "asteroid".  Its just an interstellar lumpy rock.

I'm pretty sure that our definition of asteroid would change if we could
find some rocky irregular bodies in interstellar space. Also it
probably is orbit around Alpha Centauri. They're most of the way there
after all. Mind you a comet would be more likely

Re: The snARK S01E03 “Get out and Push”

<850285490.698404995.507834.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175843&group=rec.arts.tv#175843

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
out and Push”
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 03:07:53 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 10:07 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 2/17/2023 7:52 PM, David Johnston wrote:
>> On 2023-02-16 8:23 a.m., anim8rfsk wrote:
>>

>>> Actually, the odds of you being hit by an asteroid 4/5 of the way between
>>> Earth and Proxima B are absolutely zero.
>>
>> Whats the reason why there can't be a lump of rock in interstellar space?
>>
> as·ter·oid
> /ˈastəˌroid/
> noun: asteroid; plural noun: asteroids
>
> 1.
> a small rocky body orbiting the sun.
>
> It can be a lumpy of rock in interstellar space, but then its not an
> "asteroid". Its just an interstellar lumpy rock.

Yep. As the definition goes, it actually has to be in Sol system but I
suspect we’ll amend that if we ever get anywhere else.

There isn’t a good clean name for what they encountered. For some reason we
are hung up on giving extra solar objects, a different designation,
depending on whether or not, we find them inside or outside our system.
This would probably have been something clumsy like an extrasolar minor
planet.

Of course, it’s not a Comet either for the same reasons. It might be an EXO
comet or something.

Re: Re0 The snARK S01E03 €Get out and Push€

<1392043292.698405573.635375.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175844&group=rec.arts.tv#175844

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Re0 The snARK S01E03 €Get
out and Push€
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 03:07:54 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 10:07 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-02-18 05:21:22 +0000, Dimensional Traveler said:

>>> Whats the reason why there can't be a lump of rock in interstellar space?
>>>
>> as·ter·oid
>> /ˈastəˌroid/
>> noun: asteroid; plural noun: asteroids
>>
>> 1.
>> a small rocky body orbiting the sun.
>>
>> It can be a lumpy of rock in interstellar space, but then its not an
>> "asteroid". Its just an interstellar lumpy rock.
>
> There are "rouge planets" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_planet
> ) so I've got to think that it might be called a "rogue asteroid", but
> it looks like the correct term is just "interstellar object"...

EXO asteroid has been suggested as has a / name, or in the case of a comet
C/name. But whatever it is even if it was an asteroid, it wouldn’t be an
asteroid.

Video output format (was: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push")

<tsqi5g$qua$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175871&group=rec.arts.tv#175871

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Video output format (was: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push")
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 13:00:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 13:00 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>>. . .

>My 4K TV is claming everything is "1080i" (incl. "The Ark"), even
>networks like ABC which I *know* are "720p"!!

>I think my TV is lying to me... ;)

In my setup, the receiver is built into the DVR rented from Comcast. I
found the "native" setting, which tells the DVR not to "upgrade" the
signal, just pass it through. The tv, just being used as a monitor,
reports that I am receiving different signals, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p
from the BluRay player.

You'll have to find the "native" setting.