Laugh and the world thinks you're an idiot.

arts / rec.arts.tv / June 17-23, 2023: Robin's selected programming

SubjectAuthor
* June 17-23, 2023: Robin's selected programminganim8rfsk
+* Re: June 17-23, 2023: Robin's selected programminganim8rfsk
|`- Re: June 17-23, 2023: Robin's selected programmingIan J. Ball
`- Re: June 17-23, 2023: Robin's selected programmingIan J. Ball

1
June 17-23, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<803877442.708673938.684377.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190245&group=rec.arts.tv#190245

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: June 17-23, 2023: Robin's selected programming
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 22:59:51 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 05:59 UTC

June 17-23, 2023: Robin’s selected programming

Saturday, June 17

King the Land [new] (3:01 am, Netflix)

Amid a tense inheritance fight, a charming heir clashes with his
hardworking employee who's known for her irresistible smile ­ which he
cannot stand. Korean series; 16 episodes?

https://www.netflix.com/title/81671440

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt26693803/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGF16szMOmo

See You in My 19th Life [new] (3:01 am, Netflix)

Ban Ji-eum can endlessly reincarnate. But when her 18th life gets cut
short, she dedicates the next one to finding her now grown-up childhood
love. Korean series; 12 episodes?

https://www.netflix.com/title/81671426

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yUYh-Rbysk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puc-2Lc3jOY

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt27838483/

Play Dead (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)

When a young woman breaks into a morgue to retrieve evidence, she soon
finds that the coroner uses the facility as a front for a twisted business.
Stars Bailee Madison, Jerry O'Connell, and Anthony Turpel. 1 hr 46 min.
Film released in late 2022 that is also available on Prime Video.

https://tubitv.com/movies/701325/play-dead

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt20198774/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umoAej5WR2I

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play_Dead_(2022_film)

Masters of Illusion (season 9 finale; renewed for season 10) (8
pm, CW)

Murdoch Mysteries (season 16 finale; renewed for season 17 by CBC)
(8 pm, Ovation)

Mary J. Blige's Strength of a Woman (movie) (8 pm, Lifetime
Channel)

The story of Kendra (Ajiona Alexus) and Ben (Da'Vinchi) continues, jumping
ahead more than 15 years. Now a successful photographer, Kendra finds
herself in a failing marriage and must reckon with the decisions she made
for the life she thought she wanted. When Ben unexpectedly comes back into
her life, she is forced to a crisis point and must dig deep to find the
strength to take control of her life and accept the love Ben may be
offering again. Sequel to "Mary J. Blige’s Real Love" from last week.

https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/mary-j-bliges-strength-of-a-woman

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt27230205/

The Wedding Contract (movie) (8 pm, Hallmark Channel)

Rebecca, a teacher, and Adam, an ad executive are excited to plan their
Jewish wedding, but their wedding and future are put into jeopardy when
Adam lands a new ad campaign, and their mothers meet. Starring Becca Tobin
and Jake Epstein.

https://www.hallmarkchannel.com/the-wedding-contract

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt27812140/

John Early: Now More Than Ever (comedy special) (10-11 pm,
HBO)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkJnC00u7qs

Sunday, June 18

The Secret Sauce (movie) (7 pm, UPtv)

Laura, a Chicago marketing executive, is sent to entice smalltown BBQ joint
owner Jim to let her company license his family’s secret sauce. 2021 film
starring Tori Anderson and Corey Sevier.

https://uptv.com/movies/the-secret-sauce/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14489062/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61kVKT1AyW8

Ridley [new to US] (8 pm, PBS)

Retired Detective Inspector Alex Ridley is called back to advise on a
complex and compelling murder case by his replacement and former protege DI
Carol Farman. Carol is keen to access Ridley’s unique insight into
crime-solving which served them so well in the past, but the investigation
takes a dark and unexpected twist. Stars Adrian Dunbar and Bronagh Waugh.
Eight episodes running through August 6. British series originally
broadcast by ITV in August-September 2022 as four stand-alone two-hour
stories/episodes.

https://www.pbs.org/show/ridley/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14772170/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ridley_(TV_series)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvtgjSMmbVI

Endeavour (final season 9 premiere) (9 pm, PBS)

Three 1 hr 40 min. episodes running through July 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh43aATynTs

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/endeavour/season-9

The Walking Dead: Dead City [new] (9 pm, AMC)

The first to arrive of three planned spinoffs from the recently concluded
AMC staple The Walking Dead, the six-episode Dead City focuses on the
characters of Maggie (Lauren Cohan) and Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) as they
battle for survival in what remains of Manhattan multiple years after the
events of TWD's finale—giving the new show a dense urban setting that was
mostly absent from the original series. Gaius Charles and Zeljko Ivanek
also star, while Eli Jorné, a writer for multiple seasons on TWD, serves as
showrunner. Runs through July 23.

RM: Yay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b-b4rvLJmI

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-walking-dead-dead-city/season-1
[score 68]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt18546730/

The Righteous Gemstones (season 3 premiere) (10 and 10:30
pm, two episodes, HBO)

Season 3 guest stars include Shea Whigham, Iliza Shlesinger, Stephen Dorff,
Casey Wilson, Sturgill Simpson, and Luka Haas. Nine episodes running
through August 6. Regular time is 10 pm only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quK5D0s6Rh4

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-righteous-gemstones/season-3 [score
86]

Fear the Walking Dead (final season 8 summer finale; special time)
(10:12 pm, AMC)

Six episodes remain.

Monday, June 19

Take Care of Maya (documentary) (3:01 am, Netflix)

As a medical team tries to understand 10-year-old Maya Kowalski's rare
illness, they begin to question her parents. Suddenly, Maya is in state
custody--despite a family desperate to bring their daughter home. 1h 43m.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt27542448/

https://www.netflix.com/title/81349305

https://www.thecut.com/article/child-abuse-munchausen-syndrome-by-proxy.html

You Are Here [new] (7 and 7:30 pm, two episodes, AMC)

Colman Domingo hosts a travel series of American series. Four episodes; the
other two air on Friday, June 30, at 7 and 7:30 pm. Throughout the series,
Domingo revisits the locations pivotal to his growth as an artist and an
individual, and the web of communities, people and found family who thrive
there, and who lifted him up. He is joined by special guests including
Fear the Walking Dead star Kim Dickens, Pulitzer Prize winning playwright
James Ijames, five-time Tony Award winning director Susan Stroman, and Tony
Award nominee Daniel Breaker, among others, as well as friends and family,
local guides, and experts in each city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwucjtNMGIU

https://www.amcnetworks.com/press-releases/amc-networks-travel-memoir-series-you-are-here-hosted-by-emmy-award-winning-actor-writer-and-director-colman-domingo-premieres-monday-june-19-on-amc/

Juneteenth: A Global Celebration for Freedom (live musical event)
(8-11 pm, CNN/OWN)

https://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2023/05/17/juneteenth-a-global-celebration-for-freedom-returns-to-broadcast-on-cnn-own-in-first-time-dual-simulcast-produced-by-live-nation-urban-and-jesse-collins-entertainment-on-m/

Xernona Clayton: A Life in Black and White (documentary) (8
pm, Bounce TV)

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/bounce-tv-premieres-exclusive-new-documentary--xernona-clayton-life-in-black-and-white-juneteenth-at-9-pm-et-301849820.html

Black Pop: Celebrating the Power of Black Culture [new] (8 and
9 pm, two episodes, E!)

Four episodes; concludes on Tuesday night at 8 and 9 pm.

The Great American Recipe (season 2 premiere) (9 pm, PBS)

Meet a new group of home cooks as they compete in a search for “The Great
American Recipe." Eight episodes running through August 7.

https://www.pbs.org/show/great-american-recipe/

https://www.pbs.org/food/shows/the-great-american-recipe/

Hip-Hop @ 50: Rhythms, Rhymes & Reflections (special) (10
pm, ABC)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC_1uIZkMr8

Tuesday, June 20

Streaming:

85 South: Ghetto Legends (comedy special) (3:01 am,
Netflix)

https://www.netflix.com/title/81267151

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAOra1O4Las

FBI True (complete season 3) (3:01 am, Paramount+)

FBI TRUE gives audiences an insider's look at the dangerous missions of
some of the most compelling crime stories handled by the FBI, where
split-second decisions can mean life or death.Through firsthand accounts,
FBI agents relive the heart-stopping moments of their biggest cases and
reveal the shocking details that only the agents on the inside can reveal.
10 episodes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGwdy23SAIo

DC Down (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)

After an earthquake rocks DC, the Army Corp races against the clock to
rescue the President trapped under the rubble while a sinister plot aims to
capitalize on the disaster. Stars Eric Roberts, Sean Young, Jack Pearson,
Kayla Fields, and Terry Woodberry. 1 hr 21 min.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: June 17-23, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<1219189035.708686850.221914.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190251&group=rec.arts.tv#190251

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: June 17-23, 2023: Robin's selected programming
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 03:13:20 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 10:13 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> June 17-23, 2023: Robin’s selected programming
>

> Saturday, June 17
>

> Play Dead (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> When a young woman breaks into a morgue to retrieve evidence, she soon
> finds that the coroner uses the facility as a front for a twisted business.
> Stars Bailee Madison, Jerry O'Connell, and Anthony Turpel. 1 hr 46 min.
> Film released in late 2022 that is also available on Prime Video.

For this she quit GOOD WITCH?

> Masters of Illusion (season 9 finale; renewed for season 10) (8
> pm, CW)

The C dub must die.

> Murdoch Mysteries (season 16 finale; renewed for season 17 by CBC)
> (8 pm, Ovation)

I am so many years behind on this now.

> Sunday, June 18
>

> The Secret Sauce (movie) (7 pm, UPtv)

It’s thousand island dressing!

> Monday, June 19

> Tuesday, June 20
>

> Streaming:
>

> DC Down (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> After an earthquake rocks DC, the Army Corp races against the clock to
> rescue the President trapped under the rubble while a sinister plot aims to
> capitalize on the disaster. Stars Eric Roberts, Sean Young,

I’ll take people that used to have careers that Fred has met some of in
real life for 1000, Alex.

Anything*****************************************************************************************

> Wednesday, June 21
>

> Streaming:
>

> Secret Invasion [new] (3:01 am, Disney+)
>
> The first TV series in Phase 5 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe returns MCU
> film regular Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury as he attempts to prevent an
> impending invasion of Earth by a faction of Skrulls, a shapeshifting alien
> race, led by Kingsley Ben-Adir's Gravik.

What, did he turn his name inside out?

Also on board for the six-episode
> series are a mix of MCU veterans and new faces, including Ben Mendelsohn as
> the benevolent Skrull leader Talos, Emilia Clarke as Talos' daughter G'iah,
> Cobie Smulders as Maria Hill,

Yay!

Olivia Colman as MI6 agent Sonya Falsworth,
> Martin Freeman as former CIA agent Everett K. Ross, Dermot Mulroney as
> President Ritson, and Don Cheadle as Rhodey/War Machine. The miniseries
> comes from Mr. Robot producer Kyle Bradstreet, while Ali Selim (Sweet Land)
> directs. The episodes are released weekly; The Futon Critic says there are
> five while other sources say six.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp_YZNqNBhw
>
> https://www.metacritic.com/tv/secret-invasion/season-1 [score 66]
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13157618/

Sure, as long as it’s free.

> Duran Duran: A Hollywood High (documentary) (3:01 am,
> Paramount+)

Barbarella Psychedelica there’s a kind of cockleshell about you…

> Love You to Death: Gabby Petito (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> When aspiring social media influencer Gabby Petito goes missing and her
> fiancé Brian Laundrie disappears, the hunt for the couple grips the nation.
> Apparently no Tubi page as of now. Tubi released "Love You to Death: The
> Jodi Arias Story" in February.
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt28015568/ [stub only]

See what Robin does for you, Ian?

> Broadcast and cable:
>

> LA Fire & Rescue [new] (8 pm, NBC)
>
> From Dick Wolf comes a new real-life series about the heroes of the Los
> Angeles County Fire Department. Eight episodes.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmQPjFRgUu0

But who will play the obligatory brunette babe?

> The Stroll (documentary) (9 pm, HBO)
>
> About the world of transgender sex workers of New York City’s Meatpacking
> District in the 1990s.

Well now I’m not hungry anymore.

> Thursday, June 22
>

> Streaming:
>

> Glamorous [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> Love, Victor's Miss Benny and Kim Cattrall head the cast of a 10-episode
> dramedy (originally headed to The CW) set in the makeup industry.

Anything originally headed to the C dub must die

> Skull Island [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am,
> Netflix)
>
> Anime.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzVEn9C0Ndw
>
> https://www.netflix.com/title/81312426

Hmmm

> Social Currency [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am,
> Netflix)
>
> Eight of India’s most popular social media influencers must power through
> 21 days of living together without smartphones, computers or the Internet.
> Postponed from May 26.

To make ends meet, they turn into hired assassins, eliminating India’s
largest criminal organization, the telemarketing schemes. Kevin has finally
turned.

He is
> And Just Like That... (season 2 premiere) (3:01 am, Max)

Nobody gets Max!

> Downey's Dream Cars [new] (3:01 am, Max)
>
> Robert Downey Jr. loves restoring classic cars. But he's also become
> dedicated to fighting climate change.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

> Broadcast and cable:

> Friday, June 23
>

> Streaming:
>

> I'm a Virgo [new; complete season 1] (12:01 am, Prime
> Video)

No

> Carpool Karaoke: The Series (part 3 of season 5) (12:01
> am, Apple TV+)
>
> This completes season 5.

The show that exposes how deeply stupid the Apple TV+ “talent” is to what
end I’m not really sure.

> King of Clones (documentary) (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> From human cloning research to a scandalous downfall, follow the life and
> work of Korea's most notorious scientist, Hwang Woo-suk. British film; 1h
> 25m.

With special Guest star Art Hindle *is* CLONEMASTER!

> The Perfect Find (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> After a high-profile firing, Jenna’s (Gabrielle Union)

Featuring that very special footage left over from LA’s finest European DVD
release that BTR has been hoping for.

fashion career
> comeback hits a snag when she falls for a charming, much younger coworker

Jessica Alba

> who happens to be her boss’s kid. As sparks fly, Jenna
> must decide if she’ll risk it all on a secret romance. Based on the book by
> Tia Williams, The Perfect Find is directed by Numa Perrier and also stars
> Aisha Hinds, D.B. Woodside, Gina Torres and La La Anthony. 1h 39m.
>

> World's Best (movie) (3:01 am, Disney+)
>
> Follows Raj Patel, who is an expert at math but is also secretly obsessed
> with his late father's dream of becoming a rap musician,

Not even for free

> Gridiron Grind (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> A high school athlete [Naomi Grace] navigates physical and mental
> challenges after making the all-male football team but faces her greatest
> challenge when she begins to question her sexuality. Also stars Sharon Leal
> and Bo Yokely. Apparently no Tubi page as of now.

But if there was one, Ian, she’d share it with you

> Cinnamon (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> A music-driven thriller following a young couple who, after falling
> hopelessly in love and looking for escape, risk it all on one big robbery
> that goes terribly wrong. Stars Pam Grier, Damon Wayans, Jeremie Harris,
> David Iacono, and Hailey Kilgore. 1h 31m. Apparently no Tubi page as of
> now.

That sounds almost horrible enough to watch. Almost.

> Quicksand (movie) (3:01 am, Shudder)

Ian! On deck!

> Follows a married couple almost divorcing who become trapped in quicksand
> while hiking through a rainforest in Colombia. They will battle the
> elements of the jungle and must work together in order to survive. 1h 26m.
> English-language film.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: June 17-23, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<u6kj1k$19d8m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190271&group=rec.arts.tv#190271

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 08:21:24 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 15:21 UTC

On 2023-06-17 10:13:20 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> June 17-23, 2023: Robin’s selected programming
>>

>> Saturday, June 17
>>

>> Play Dead (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)
>>
>> When a young woman breaks into a morgue to retrieve evidence, she soon
>> finds that the coroner uses the facility as a front for a twisted business.
>> Stars Bailee Madison, Jerry O'Connell, and Anthony Turpel. 1 hr 46 min.
>> Film released in late 2022 that is also available on Prime Video.
>
> For this she quit GOOD WITCH?

A lot of people (actors) find horror movies fun. But 1 hr, 46 mins is
on the longer side for a Tubi original.

Also, like I said in Robin's earlier thread, this was actually
released, as of 10pm last night, West Coast time...

>> Tuesday, June 20
>>

>> Streaming:
>>

>> DC Down (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)
>>
>> After an earthquake rocks DC, the Army Corp races against the clock to
>> rescue the President trapped under the rubble while a sinister plot aims to
>> capitalize on the disaster. Stars Eric Roberts, Sean Young,
>
> I’ll take people that used to have careers that Fred has met some of in
> real life for 1000, Alex.
>
> Anything*****************************************************************************************

Wait - you met Eric Roberts?!?!!... ;p

And tell Robin - We're still waiting for ECHO BASE!!1!! :p

>> Wednesday, June 21
>>

>> Streaming:
>>

>> Secret Invasion [new] (3:01 am, Disney+)
>>
>> The first TV series in Phase 5 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe returns MCU
>> film regular Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury as he attempts to prevent an
>> impending invasion of Earth by a faction of Skrulls, a shapeshifting alien
>> race, led by Kingsley Ben-Adir's Gravik.
>
> What, did he turn his name inside out?
>
> > Also on board for the six-episode
>> series are a mix of MCU veterans and new faces, including Ben Mendelsohn as
>> the benevolent Skrull leader Talos, Emilia Clarke as Talos' daughter G'iah,
>> Cobie Smulders as Maria Hill,
>
> Yay!
>
> > Olivia Colman as MI6 agent Sonya Falsworth,
>> Martin Freeman as former CIA agent Everett K. Ross, Dermot Mulroney as
>> President Ritson, and Don Cheadle as Rhodey/War Machine. The miniseries
>> comes from Mr. Robot producer Kyle Bradstreet, while Ali Selim (Sweet Land)
>> directs. The episodes are released weekly; The Futon Critic says there are
>> five while other sources say six.
>
> Sure, as long as it’s free.

I will watch this, but I don't want to watch it weekly - I'll wait
until all of the episodes drop.

>> Duran Duran: A Hollywood High (documentary) (3:01 am,
>> Paramount+)
>
> Barbarella Psychedelica there’s a kind of cockleshell about you…

Fuck Paramount!!

>> Love You to Death: Gabby Petito (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)
>>
>> When aspiring social media influencer Gabby Petito goes missing and her
>> fiancé Brian Laundrie disappears, the hunt for the couple grips the nation.
>> Apparently no Tubi page as of now. Tubi released "Love You to Death: The
>> Jodi Arias Story" in February.
>>
>> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt28015568/ [stub only]
>
> See what Robin does for you, Ian?

Wait - I thought this was a doc!?! That means Tubi has just gone ahead
and *remade* two movies that Lifetime has already done!!

>> Broadcast and cable:
>>

>> The Stroll (documentary) (9 pm, HBO)
>>
>> About the world of transgender sex workers of New York City’s Meatpacking
>> District in the 1990s.
>
> Well now I’m not hungry anymore.

Some say this is the *real* meat!! :p

>> Thursday, June 22
>>

>> Streaming:
>>

>> Glamorous [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)
>>
>> Love, Victor's Miss Benny and Kim Cattrall head the cast of a 10-episode
>> dramedy (originally headed to The CW) set in the makeup industry.
>
> Anything originally headed to the C dub must die

Yeah, oh, Gawd... - See, this is why I say Netflix never produces any
content I wasnt to watch anymore...

>> And Just Like That... (season 2 premiere) (3:01 am, Max)
>
> Nobody gets Max!

I sure do! But I sure as heck ain't watching this!!

>> Downey's Dream Cars [new] (3:01 am, Max)
>>
>> Robert Downey Jr. loves restoring classic cars. But he's also become
>> dedicated to fighting climate change.
>
> A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Latest thing I saw on Reddit is that Disney is panicking about the MCU
and wants to get RDJ back. No idea if there's any truth in any of
that...

>> Friday, June 23
>>

>> Streaming:
>>

>> Gridiron Grind (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)
>>
>> A high school athlete [Naomi Grace] navigates physical and mental
>> challenges after making the all-male football team but faces her greatest
>> challenge when she begins to question her sexuality. Also stars Sharon Leal
>> and Bo Yokely. Apparently no Tubi page as of now.
>
> But if there was one, Ian, she’d share it with you

FTR, it looks like Noami Grace played Vance's kid on "The NCIS",
otherwise known as "NCIS: Very Old Men"...

>> Cinnamon (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)
>>
>> A music-driven thriller following a young couple who, after falling
>> hopelessly in love and looking for escape, risk it all on one big robbery
>> that goes terribly wrong. Stars Pam Grier, Damon Wayans, Jeremie Harris,
>> David Iacono, and Hailey Kilgore. 1h 31m. Apparently no Tubi page as of
>> now.
>
> That sounds almost horrible enough to watch. Almost.

With a better cast, I might be interested in this...

>> Quicksand (movie) (3:01 am, Shudder)
>
> Ian! On deck!

This is where I say: "Nobody gets Shudder! (unfortunately...)"

>> Follows a married couple almost divorcing who become trapped in quicksand
>> while hiking through a rainforest in Colombia. They will battle the
>> elements of the jungle and must work together in order to survive. 1h 26m.
>> English-language film.
>
> In the leaked mid credits sequence, the husband wakes up to the wife,
> screaming at him “there is no such thing as quicksand you idiot!“

So, there's a 2023 Colombian film, starring nobody you've ever heard
of, with this title, and a 2019 Swedish Netflix TV series with this
title. Of the two, the Swedish one probably sounds more interesting,
even with the apparently lack of naked nudity...

>> The Last Drive-in With Joe Bob Briggs (season 5 summer premier)
>> (9 pm, Shudder)
>
> Yay

But, nobody gets Shudder... :(

>> (end)

Re: June 17-23, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<u6kmp1$19snc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190280&group=rec.arts.tv#190280

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 09:25:05 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 16:25 UTC

On 2023-06-17 05:59:51 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> June 17-23, 2023: Robin’s selected programming
>

> Saturday, June 17
>

> Play Dead (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> When a young woman breaks into a morgue to retrieve evidence, she soon
> finds that the coroner uses the facility as a front for a twisted business.
> Stars Bailee Madison, Jerry O'Connell, and Anthony Turpel. 1 hr 46 min.
> Film released in late 2022 that is also available on Prime Video.

I will surely get to this (soon)...

> Murdoch Mysteries (season 16 finale; renewed for season 17 by CBC)
> (8 pm, Ovation)

Seriously?!

This and "Heartland" sound like they should have been put out to
pasture years ago.

> Mary J. Blige's Strength of a Woman (movie) (8 pm, Lifetime
> Channel)
>
> The story of Kendra (Ajiona Alexus) and Ben (Da'Vinchi) continues, jumping
> ahead more than 15 years. Now a successful photographer, Kendra finds
> herself in a failing marriage and must reckon with the decisions she made
> for the life she thought she wanted. When Ben unexpectedly comes back into
> her life, she is forced to a crisis point and must dig deep to find the
> strength to take control of her life and accept the love Ben may be
> offering again. Sequel to "Mary J. Blige’s Real Love" from last week.

Passed on the first one, will pass on this one.

> The Wedding Contract (movie) (8 pm, Hallmark Channel)
>
> Rebecca, a teacher, and Adam, an ad executive are excited to plan their
> Jewish wedding, but their wedding and future are put into jeopardy when
> Adam lands a new ad campaign, and their mothers meet. Starring Becca Tobin
> and Jake Epstein.

Why the eff do they keep casting Becca Tobin?! - I see her and I
immediately lose interest...

> Sunday, June 18
>

> The Secret Sauce (movie) (7 pm, UPtv)
>
> Laura, a Chicago marketing executive, is sent to entice smalltown BBQ joint
> owner Jim to let her company license his family’s secret sauce. 2021 film
> starring Tori Anderson and Corey Sevier.

OK, Tori Anderson makes this a definite "Maybe yes"...

> Endeavour (final season 9 premiere) (9 pm, PBS)
>
> Three 1 hr 40 min. episodes running through July 2.

This show, and Aus' "Halifax f.p." make a *mockery* of the idea of "seasons"!!

> The Walking Dead: Dead City [new] (9 pm, AMC)
>
> The first to arrive of three planned spinoffs from the recently concluded
> AMC staple The Walking Dead, the six-episode Dead City focuses on the
> characters of Maggie (Lauren Cohan) and Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) as they
> battle for survival in what remains of Manhattan multiple years after the
> events of TWD's finale—giving the new show a dense urban setting that was
> mostly absent from the original series. Gaius Charles and Zeljko Ivanek
> also star, while Eli Jorné, a writer for multiple seasons on TWD, serves as
> showrunner. Runs through July 23.
>
> RM: Yay!

Hard pass!

> Fear the Walking Dead (final season 8 summer finale; special time)
> (10:12 pm, AMC)
>
> Six episodes remain.

No!!

> Tuesday, June 20
>

> Streaming:
>

> FBI True (complete season 3) (3:01 am, Paramount+)
>
> FBI TRUE gives audiences an insider's look at the dangerous missions of
> some of the most compelling crime stories handled by the FBI, where
> split-second decisions can mean life or death.Through firsthand accounts,
> FBI agents relive the heart-stopping moments of their biggest cases and
> reveal the shocking details that only the agents on the inside can reveal.
> 10 episodes?

FUCK PARAMOUNT!!

> DC Down (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> After an earthquake rocks DC, the Army Corp races against the clock to
> rescue the President trapped under the rubble while a sinister plot aims to
> capitalize on the disaster. Stars Eric Roberts, Sean Young, Jack Pearson,
> Kayla Fields, and Terry Woodberry. 1 hr 21 min.

Maybe...

> Wednesday, June 21
>

> Streaming:
>

> Secret Invasion [new] (3:01 am, Disney+)
>
> The first TV series in Phase 5 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe returns MCU
> film regular Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury as he attempts to prevent an
> impending invasion of Earth by a faction of Skrulls, a shapeshifting alien
> race, led by Kingsley Ben-Adir's Gravik. Also on board for the six-episode
> series are a mix of MCU veterans and new faces, including Ben Mendelsohn as
> the benevolent Skrull leader Talos, Emilia Clarke as Talos' daughter G'iah,
> Cobie Smulders as Maria Hill, Olivia Colman as MI6 agent Sonya Falsworth,
> Martin Freeman as former CIA agent Everett K. Ross, Dermot Mulroney as
> President Ritson, and Don Cheadle as Rhodey/War Machine. The miniseries
> comes from Mr. Robot producer Kyle Bradstreet, while Ali Selim (Sweet Land)
> directs. The episodes are released weekly; The Futon Critic says there are
> five while other sources say six.

As I said - I'm going to wait for all of the episodes to drop first
before tacking...

> Duran Duran: A Hollywood High (documentary) (3:01 am,
> Paramount+)

I like them, but...

FUCK PARAMOUNT!!

> Love You to Death: Gabby Petito (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> When aspiring social media influencer Gabby Petito goes missing and her
> fiancé Brian Laundrie disappears, the hunt for the couple grips the nation.
> Apparently no Tubi page as of now. Tubi released "Love You to Death: The
> Jodi Arias Story" in February.

OK, IMDb says this is a documetary, not a "docudrama".

> Thursday, June 22
>

> Streaming:
>

> The Bear (complete season 2) (12:01 am, Hulu)
>
> Easily one of critics' favorite new shows of 2022, the FX-produced (but
> Hulu-exclusive) series follows a one-time fine-dining chef (Golden Globe
> winner Jeremy Allen White) who takes over the family's Chicago sandwich
> shop after the death of his brother. This second season picks up following
> the events of last year's finale and thus finds the crew attempting to open
> a new higher-end restaurant—a goal that brings fresh obstacles. New faces
> this season include Molly Gordon (Booksmart) and guest star Bob Odenkirk.
> The entire 10-episode season will be available to stream today.

I've toyed with the idea of checking this show out from time to time...

> Glamorous [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> Love, Victor's Miss Benny and Kim Cattrall head the cast of a 10-episode
> dramedy (originally headed to The CW) set in the makeup industry.

Pass!

> And Just Like That... (season 2 premiere) (3:01 am, Max)
>
> The Sex and the City sequel series returns for a second season that will
> feature the return of John Corbett's Aidan as well as new characters played
> by Tony Danza (he's actually playing himself) and pop star Sam Smith. And
> you can also expect a brief cameo appearance by Kim Cattrall's Samantha
> (though not until closer to the end of the season). The first two (of 11)
> episodes stream today; the remaining episodes are released weekly through
> August 24.

Aw, HELL, *no*!!

> Downey's Dream Cars [new] (3:01 am, Max)
>
> Robert Downey Jr. loves restoring classic cars. But he's also become
> dedicated to fighting climate change. So he's bringing his beloved old cars
> into the future, making them faster, more powerful, and more efficient
> while keeping their souls intact. Six episodes released over three weeks.

Coming soon! (again!!) to the MCU!!! ;p