From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: June 17-23, 2023: Robin's selected programming
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 09:25:05 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 16:25 UTC

On 2023-06-17 05:59:51 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> June 17-23, 2023: Robin’s selected programming
>

> Saturday, June 17
>

> Play Dead (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> When a young woman breaks into a morgue to retrieve evidence, she soon
> finds that the coroner uses the facility as a front for a twisted business.
> Stars Bailee Madison, Jerry O'Connell, and Anthony Turpel. 1 hr 46 min.
> Film released in late 2022 that is also available on Prime Video.

I will surely get to this (soon)...

> Murdoch Mysteries (season 16 finale; renewed for season 17 by CBC)
> (8 pm, Ovation)

Seriously?!

This and "Heartland" sound like they should have been put out to
pasture years ago.

> Mary J. Blige's Strength of a Woman (movie) (8 pm, Lifetime
> Channel)
>
> The story of Kendra (Ajiona Alexus) and Ben (Da'Vinchi) continues, jumping
> ahead more than 15 years. Now a successful photographer, Kendra finds
> herself in a failing marriage and must reckon with the decisions she made
> for the life she thought she wanted. When Ben unexpectedly comes back into
> her life, she is forced to a crisis point and must dig deep to find the
> strength to take control of her life and accept the love Ben may be
> offering again. Sequel to "Mary J. Blige’s Real Love" from last week.

Passed on the first one, will pass on this one.

> The Wedding Contract (movie) (8 pm, Hallmark Channel)
>
> Rebecca, a teacher, and Adam, an ad executive are excited to plan their
> Jewish wedding, but their wedding and future are put into jeopardy when
> Adam lands a new ad campaign, and their mothers meet. Starring Becca Tobin
> and Jake Epstein.

Why the eff do they keep casting Becca Tobin?! - I see her and I
immediately lose interest...

> Sunday, June 18
>

> The Secret Sauce (movie) (7 pm, UPtv)
>
> Laura, a Chicago marketing executive, is sent to entice smalltown BBQ joint
> owner Jim to let her company license his family’s secret sauce. 2021 film
> starring Tori Anderson and Corey Sevier.

OK, Tori Anderson makes this a definite "Maybe yes"...

> Endeavour (final season 9 premiere) (9 pm, PBS)
>
> Three 1 hr 40 min. episodes running through July 2.

This show, and Aus' "Halifax f.p." make a *mockery* of the idea of "seasons"!!

> The Walking Dead: Dead City [new] (9 pm, AMC)
>
> The first to arrive of three planned spinoffs from the recently concluded
> AMC staple The Walking Dead, the six-episode Dead City focuses on the
> characters of Maggie (Lauren Cohan) and Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) as they
> battle for survival in what remains of Manhattan multiple years after the
> events of TWD's finale—giving the new show a dense urban setting that was
> mostly absent from the original series. Gaius Charles and Zeljko Ivanek
> also star, while Eli Jorné, a writer for multiple seasons on TWD, serves as
> showrunner. Runs through July 23.
>
> RM: Yay!

Hard pass!

> Fear the Walking Dead (final season 8 summer finale; special time)
> (10:12 pm, AMC)
>
> Six episodes remain.

No!!

> Tuesday, June 20
>

> Streaming:
>

> FBI True (complete season 3) (3:01 am, Paramount+)
>
> FBI TRUE gives audiences an insider's look at the dangerous missions of
> some of the most compelling crime stories handled by the FBI, where
> split-second decisions can mean life or death.Through firsthand accounts,
> FBI agents relive the heart-stopping moments of their biggest cases and
> reveal the shocking details that only the agents on the inside can reveal.
> 10 episodes?

FUCK PARAMOUNT!!

> DC Down (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> After an earthquake rocks DC, the Army Corp races against the clock to
> rescue the President trapped under the rubble while a sinister plot aims to
> capitalize on the disaster. Stars Eric Roberts, Sean Young, Jack Pearson,
> Kayla Fields, and Terry Woodberry. 1 hr 21 min.

Maybe...

> Wednesday, June 21
>

> Streaming:
>

> Secret Invasion [new] (3:01 am, Disney+)
>
> The first TV series in Phase 5 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe returns MCU
> film regular Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury as he attempts to prevent an
> impending invasion of Earth by a faction of Skrulls, a shapeshifting alien
> race, led by Kingsley Ben-Adir's Gravik. Also on board for the six-episode
> series are a mix of MCU veterans and new faces, including Ben Mendelsohn as
> the benevolent Skrull leader Talos, Emilia Clarke as Talos' daughter G'iah,
> Cobie Smulders as Maria Hill, Olivia Colman as MI6 agent Sonya Falsworth,
> Martin Freeman as former CIA agent Everett K. Ross, Dermot Mulroney as
> President Ritson, and Don Cheadle as Rhodey/War Machine. The miniseries
> comes from Mr. Robot producer Kyle Bradstreet, while Ali Selim (Sweet Land)
> directs. The episodes are released weekly; The Futon Critic says there are
> five while other sources say six.

As I said - I'm going to wait for all of the episodes to drop first
before tacking...

> Duran Duran: A Hollywood High (documentary) (3:01 am,
> Paramount+)

I like them, but...

FUCK PARAMOUNT!!

> Love You to Death: Gabby Petito (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> When aspiring social media influencer Gabby Petito goes missing and her
> fiancé Brian Laundrie disappears, the hunt for the couple grips the nation.
> Apparently no Tubi page as of now. Tubi released "Love You to Death: The
> Jodi Arias Story" in February.

OK, IMDb says this is a documetary, not a "docudrama".

> Thursday, June 22
>

> Streaming:
>

> The Bear (complete season 2) (12:01 am, Hulu)
>
> Easily one of critics' favorite new shows of 2022, the FX-produced (but
> Hulu-exclusive) series follows a one-time fine-dining chef (Golden Globe
> winner Jeremy Allen White) who takes over the family's Chicago sandwich
> shop after the death of his brother. This second season picks up following
> the events of last year's finale and thus finds the crew attempting to open
> a new higher-end restaurant—a goal that brings fresh obstacles. New faces
> this season include Molly Gordon (Booksmart) and guest star Bob Odenkirk.
> The entire 10-episode season will be available to stream today.

I've toyed with the idea of checking this show out from time to time...

> Glamorous [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> Love, Victor's Miss Benny and Kim Cattrall head the cast of a 10-episode
> dramedy (originally headed to The CW) set in the makeup industry.

Pass!

> And Just Like That... (season 2 premiere) (3:01 am, Max)
>
> The Sex and the City sequel series returns for a second season that will
> feature the return of John Corbett's Aidan as well as new characters played
> by Tony Danza (he's actually playing himself) and pop star Sam Smith. And
> you can also expect a brief cameo appearance by Kim Cattrall's Samantha
> (though not until closer to the end of the season). The first two (of 11)
> episodes stream today; the remaining episodes are released weekly through
> August 24.

Aw, HELL, *no*!!

> Downey's Dream Cars [new] (3:01 am, Max)
>
> Robert Downey Jr. loves restoring classic cars. But he's also become
> dedicated to fighting climate change. So he's bringing his beloved old cars
> into the future, making them faster, more powerful, and more efficient
> while keeping their souls intact. Six episodes released over three weeks.

Coming soon! (again!!) to the MCU!!! ;p

> Clean Sweep [new to US] (3:01 am, Sundance Now/AMC+)
>
> A detective from the west of Ireland is looking for a murderer, not
> suspecting that his wife may be the culprit. Starring Charlene McKenna
> (Bloodlands, Peaky Blinders), the suspenseful Irish series from RTÉ is told
> from the point of view of the killer who is also, unusually, a
> self-sacrificing mother and wife. Shelly Mohan (McKenna) is super mom. Her
> secret power? Multitasking. She juggles the complex lives and schedules of
> three kids, ages 10, 11 and 15. Her days are filled with cooking and
> cleaning, shopping and chauffeuring and somehow manages to have a
> home-cooked meal on the table by the time her husband Jason (Barry Ward)
> arrives home every night. It's chaotic and hectic and mostly thankless but
> it is a life Shelly is happy with. But when a dark secret emerges from her
> past, she makes a fatal choice to prevent the truth from surfacing. Six
> episodes; two are released today, and the remainder once weekly through
> July 20. Postponed from Jan. 26.

This would be a lot more interesting if it were actually based on a
true story...

> Incarcerated (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> After being incarcerated, a woman enacts an elaborate plan of revenge on
> the ruthless female drug lord responsible for her family’s demise. Stars
> Yesenia Ayala, Heather McComb and Elizabeth Haley. Apparently no Tubi page
> as of now.

Um... maybe.

> Broadcast and cable:
>

> My Husband's Worst Mistake (movie) (8 pm, LMN)
>
> Brad Collins is happily married to Amy, the love of his life. His love for
> her has become an all-encompassing obsession, and he’s grown more and more
> controlling of her with each passing year. When Brad finds out that Amy had
> an affair with a colleague, Brad is crushed and devastated. A huge fight
> ensues, and when Amy pushes Brad, he instinctively pushes back… causing her
> to fall and hit her head. Brad has accidentally killed the one he loved
> most in the world. Stars Matt Wells, Sarah Cleveland, Scott Gibson, and
> Jinesea Bianca Lewis.

Yeah, sure...

P.S. This blurb sounds like they are probably describing just the first
5 minutes of the film, because obviously the dude remarries later, or
there's no movie, and the movie's title makes no sense!!

> Friday, June 23
>

> Streaming:
>

> I'm a Virgo [new; complete season 1] (12:01 am, Prime
> Video)
>
> With his acclaimed feature film debut Sorry to Bother You, rapper turned
> director Boots Riley proved he had a knack for surreal dark comedy. His
> first TV series promises more of the same—and appears to be another winner,
> based on early impressions from the show's SXSW premiere in the spring.
> Amazon's absurdist coming-of-age series stars Jharrel Jerome (an Emmy
> winner for When They See Us) as a 19-year-old Black man living in Oakland.
> He also happens to be 13 feet tall, and his odyssey through life and love
> includes a meeting with his idol, a superhero named The Hero (Walton
> Goggins). Mike Epps, Carmen Ejogo, Brett Gray, Kara Young, Olivia
> Washington, and Allius Barnes also star. Riley directs all seven episodes,
> and they are all available to stream today.

I'm sorry... *What*?!

> The Perfect Find (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> After a high-profile firing, Jenna’s (Gabrielle Union) fashion career
> comeback hits a snag when she falls for a charming, much younger coworker
> (Keith Powers) who happens to be her boss’s son. As sparks fly, Jenna
> must decide if she’ll risk it all on a secret romance. Based on the book by
> Tia Williams, The Perfect Find is directed by Numa Perrier and also stars
> Aisha Hinds, D.B. Woodside, Gina Torres and La La Anthony. 1h 39m.

Meh.

I'd much rather watch a Gabrielle Union "action picture".

> Gridiron Grind (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> A high school athlete [Naomi Grace] navigates physical and mental
> challenges after making the all-male football team but faces her greatest
> challenge when she begins to question her sexuality. Also stars Sharon Leal
> and Bo Yokely. Apparently no Tubi page as of now.

This sounds like a "no" to me...

> Cinnamon (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> A music-driven thriller following a young couple who, after falling
> hopelessly in love and looking for escape, risk it all on one big robbery
> that goes terribly wrong. Stars Pam Grier, Damon Wayans, Jeremie Harris,
> David Iacono, and Hailey Kilgore. 1h 31m. Apparently no Tubi page as of
> now.

As I said, with a stronger cast I would be more interested in this.

> Broadcast and cable:
>

> The Great American Joke Off (season 1 finale) (9:30 pm, CW)

As per usual, LMN is also running movies on Friday nights, but they
seem to be "LMN premieres" of film's that premiered earlier on Lifetime.

> (end)

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o June 17-23, 2023: Robin's selected programming

By: anim8rfsk on Sat, 17 Jun 2023

3anim8rfsk