Be incomprehensible. If they can't understand, they can't disagree.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)anim8rfsk
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)Ian J. Ball
||+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)Arthur Lipscomb
|||+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)anim8rfsk
|||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)BTR1701
||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)anim8rfsk
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)Dimensional Traveler
||+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)anim8rfsk
|||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)Dimensional Traveler
||| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)anim8rfsk
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)Arthur Lipscomb
|| +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)anim8rfsk
|| |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)Dimensional Traveler
|| | `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)anim8rfsk
|| +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)Dimensional Traveler
|| |+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)Adam H. Kerman
|| |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)anim8rfsk
|| | `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)Dimensional Traveler
|| |  +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)Adam H. Kerman
|| |  |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)Dimensional Traveler
|| |  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)anim8rfsk
|| |   `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)Dimensional Traveler
|| |    `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)anim8rfsk
|| |     `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)Dimensional Traveler
|| |      `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)anim8rfsk
|| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)Ubiquitous
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)Ubiquitous
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)anim8rfsk
|  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)Arthur Lipscomb
|   +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)Adam H. Kerman
|   `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)anim8rfsk
|    `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)Ubiquitous
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)Ian J. Ball
 `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)suzeeq

Pages:12
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)

<u9e91e$39qlh$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195394&group=rec.arts.tv#195394

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 15:42:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 15:42 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>On 7/21/2023 6:17 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Yes, Jessica Steen was replaced with Torri Higginson in the next
>>> episode, the season 8 premiere. No, nothing in the commentary of this
>>> or S8E01 (which I just finished watching) about why.

>in battle?

>>> No, I did screencaps of Atlantis some years ago so after SG-1 and its
>>> two movies I will cap Universe. Part of a mega-capping project.

>>> I re-watched (and capped) B5 not long ago and I've already pre-ordered
>>> the disc of the animated movie. Ships August 15. :D
>>>

>> Did you screen cap Babylon 5 in 4:3 or 16:9? They did some really ghastly
>> stuff to it to reformat to widescreen.
>>
>854x480. So 16:9. *shrug* Its what the DVDs were.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)

<509759257.711648416.410529.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195403&group=rec.arts.tv#195403

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 09:37:15 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 16:37 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 7/21/2023 6:17 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>>> Isn't hWill hWeaton on Ready Room?
>>
>> Unfortunately. I hate him so.
>>

> I've been a fan of Wil Wheaton since before he was on TNG. The only
> episodes of The Big Bang Theory I ever made it a point to watch were the
> episodes that featured him. Although I'm sure I missed most of them.
> The only regular cast member of TNG who I never saw at a convention is
> Wil Wheaton. Several years back I was at a convention thrown by pretty
> much the only company that was doing Star Trek conventions in the Bay
> Area and I asked one of the main organizers about getting Wheaton to
> attend a convention and he told that's not going to happen because there
> was some sort of falling out and he won't do their conventions. Then a
> few weeks ago I was at convention run by a different group and again
> talking to one of the organizers and he was telling me about the guests
> they were trying to bring for their next convention. He mentioned
> Wheaton. I told him I'd love it if they could get him and he told me
> he's been hearing that from a *lot* of people. You may not like him,
> but he definitely has fans. :-)

I liked him fine until recently when he started spewing venom on the
Twitter before leaving it. I was glad it was after I watched all the ready
room episodes for Picard.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)

<1211564516.711648556.517670.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195404&group=rec.arts.tv#195404

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 09:37:15 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 16:37 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 7/20/2023 8:50 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> "Don't let the suit fool you. We're going to fight." :-)
>>> I liked this President.

>>> Definitely deliberate.

>>> I figured as much. The production number was a huge clue they were
>>> saving their money for a big budget finale.

>>> (Cough. Backdoor pilot. Cough.)
>>>
>>> - DVD

>>> In more ways than one. This actress was replaced wasn't she? Did they
>>> mention on the commentary why they swapped actresses?
>>>

>> They never told anyone, including her. She’s developed her own theory that
>> they considered her difficult because she kept asking questions about the
>> backstory of her character and SG1 and they wanted somebody who would just
>> shut up and hit their marks, and say their lines without asking what a Zat
>> was.
>>
> That sounds strange considering that Tapping gets praised in a number of
> the commentaries for researching on her own the real science behind the
> technobabble they kept giving her to say. It was also strange that they
> didn't address it in the commentary for the next episode, they've said
> before that they replaced an actor because the original wasn't available
> so it was a little off that they didn't mention the reason for this much
> more obvious replacement.

It’s been a mystery, wrapped in an enigma, surrounded by a cloak of silence
for a lot of years.

> My theory, she was prettier than Carter. :P

Oooooo

Buuurrrrrrrrn Notice!!

By the way, may I just say for the record that I am still pissed off that
Carter didn’t get first billing or special last billing or something for
the year she was on Stargate Atlantis, SGA (the “A“ stands for: ATLANTIS!)?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)

<324879558.711648738.677602.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195405&group=rec.arts.tv#195405

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 09:37:16 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 16:37 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 7/21/2023 6:17 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Yes, Jessica Steen was replaced with Torri Higginson in the next
>>> episode, the season 8 premiere. No, nothing in the commentary of this
>>> or S8E01 (which I just finished watching) about why.

>>> No, I did screencaps of Atlantis some years ago so after SG-1 and its
>>> two movies I will cap Universe. Part of a mega-capping project.

>>> I re-watched (and capped) B5 not long ago and I've already pre-ordered
>>> the disc of the animated movie. Ships August 15. :D
>>>

>> Did you screen cap Babylon 5 in 4:3 or 16:9? They did some really ghastly
>> stuff to it to reformat to widescreen.
>>
> 854x480. So 16:9. *shrug* Its what the DVDs were.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)

<u9ei36$3cc7a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195415&group=rec.arts.tv#195415

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 11:17:12 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 18:17 UTC

On 7/21/2023 8:42 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>> in battle?

>>> Did you screen cap Babylon 5 in 4:3 or 16:9? They did some really ghastly
>>> stuff to it to reformat to widescreen.
>>>
>> 854x480. So 16:9. *shrug* Its what the DVDs were.
>
> I think you had to buy the VHS set for 4:3.
>
> What about the pilot episode? Do you have the edit for PTEN as it
> originally aired with Stewart Copeland's score? Straczynski got money
> from TNT to re-edit it in 1998 and the original edit vanished. It didn't
> need the Christopher Franke substitute score, and Straczynski added a
> huge spoiler to Kosh's dialogue when he addressed Sinclair as Valen.

No, they used the 1998 re-edit in the DVD set.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)

<u9ei5t$3cc7a$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195417&group=rec.arts.tv#195417

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 11:18:39 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 18:18 UTC

On 7/21/2023 9:37 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Did you screen cap Babylon 5 in 4:3 or 16:9? They did some really ghastly
>>> stuff to it to reformat to widescreen.
>>>
>> 854x480. So 16:9. *shrug* Its what the DVDs were.
>>

> Yeah, they didn’t have widescreen of the CGI and they had apparently lost
> the files but the live action had been shot for wide screen and they
> decided to re-composite it so it’s all wrong.
>
> Add that to the list of what compositors do.

I think you meant "Add compositors to the list of people who screw
things up in Hollywood."

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)

<208670953.711656539.209103.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195421&group=rec.arts.tv#195421

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 11:37:11 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 18:37 UTC

<u9evca$3f0b4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195436&group=rec.arts.tv#195436

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 15:03:56 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 22:03 UTC

On 7/21/2023 11:37 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Yeah, they didn’t have widescreen of the CGI and they had apparently lost
>>> the files but the live action had been shot for wide screen and they
>>> decided to re-composite it so it’s all wrong.
>>>
>>> Add that to the list of what compositors do.
>>>
>> I think you meant "Add compositors to the list of people who screw
>> things up in Hollywood."
>>

> Mostly because of the producers though. When compositors really screwed up,
> it’s because they’ve been given the wrong materials.

Or were given the right materials but followed the producers' instructions.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)

<262082954.711673529.230582.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195442&group=rec.arts.tv#195442

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
<u9evca$3f0b4$2@dont-email.me>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 16:09:07 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 23:09 UTC

<U9do91$37c9h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195482&group=rec.arts.tv#195482

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 04:30:41 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 08:30 UTC

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> Unfortunately. I hate him so.
>>
>> I've been a fan of Wil Wheaton since before he was on TNG. The only
>> episodes of The Big Bang Theory I ever made it a point to watch were the
>> episodes that featured him. Although I'm sure I missed most of them.
>> The only regular cast member of TNG who I never saw at a convention is
>> Wil Wheaton. Several years back I was at a convention thrown by pretty
>> much the only company that was doing Star Trek conventions in the Bay
>> Area and I asked one of the main organizers about getting Wheaton to
>> attend a convention and he told that's not going to happen because there
>> was some sort of falling out and he won't do their conventions. Then a
>> few weeks ago I was at convention run by a different group and again
>> talking to one of the organizers and he was telling me about the guests
>> they were trying to bring for their next convention. He mentioned
>> Wheaton. I told him I'd love it if they could get him and he told me
>> he's been hearing that from a *lot* of people. You may not like him,
>> but he definitely has fans. :-)
>
>I liked him fine until recently when he started spewing venom on the
>Twitter before leaving it. I was glad it was after I watched all the
>ready room episodes for Picard.

Yeah, seeing him advocate for child genital mutilation was dissapointing.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)

<rQadnaLoi4y6wyH5nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195539&group=rec.arts.tv#195539

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 22:54:31 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 22:54 UTC

On Jul 20, 2023 at 8:46:18 AM PDT, "Arthur Lipscomb"
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> Barbie (theatrical) New fantasy movie starring Margot Robbie as
> "Stereotypical Barbie" and Ryan Gosling as "Ken." The premise is kind
> of hard to explain, especially without spoiling the second half of the
> movie which the trailers and commercials haven't revealed yet. All the
> advertising is just the first half of the movie. Things take a very
> unexpected turn during the second half. But the basic plot is there is
> the Barbie universe and the real world. The Barbie universe is
> populated by many different Barbies and Kens. They know they are all
> dolls being played with by children. Their world is perfect. But one
> day Margot Robbie's Barbie starts to have a bit of an existential crisis
> and starts having thoughts of death and other things a child's toy
> shouldn't be thinking. So she heads to the real world to find the
> source of her problems. Ken tags along since being her plus 1 is his
> reason for existing. This was a surprisingly good movie. I know
> nothing about the toy line. But much like the "Lego movie" and the
> "Josie and the Pussycats" movie the writers took something that on its'
> face lacks any real substance and used it to tell a very appealing and
> surprisingly more adult story. I think the movie will also work on two
> levels. For fans of the toy line I'm sure it was full of inside jokes
> and Easter eggs. But for people like me who know nothing about the
> toys, it was fun to watch all the "that was a real thing" mocking jokes
> that are throughout the movie. The movie goes after Mattel in ways you
> would not expect to see in a movie that was financed by Mattel. I also
> liked how the movie constantly broke the 4th wall, such as during one
> scene Robbie's Barbie breaks down and gives a speech about self
> acceptance and not being pretty, and as the camera zooms in on Robbie's
> beautiful face the narrator breaks in to say note to filmmakers don't
> cast Margot Robbie in this roll.

Ugh. You seem to have really liked this *waaaaay* better than I did. You know
any movie that uses the word "patriarchy" three dozen times is gonna suck.

This is like if THE SUPER MARIO BROS. movie was written by someone who not
only hated Mario and Luigi, but blamed them for highway fatalities, climate
change, and gorilla abuse while tossing in gratuitous Proust references.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-19 (Wednesday)

<u9lpde$l6dk$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195777&group=rec.arts.tv#195777

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 04:30:41 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 08:30 UTC

In article <u9cqu5$33b2h$1@dont-email.me>, arthur@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:

>Recently it was announced a direct to video Babylon 5 movie was coming out.

Are you talking about the animated one? I thought that had been released
already and never heard about it.

>I had plans to watch a few episodes of B5 I have on DVD then watch
>the movie. But now they've announced B5 is getting a full series
>upgrade on blu-ray. So now I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the blu-ray
>box set and watch most, if not all of the series again. I haven't
>watched the series in forever, but I think it will be fun to revisit it
>again. I'll probably try to do what you're doing and watch a couple of
>episodes each day.

I did that fior awhile when it was on Comet TV but fell behind because I kept
missing days.

--
Let's go Brandon!