Please remain calm, it's no use both of us being hysterical at the same time.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

SubjectAuthor
* Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programmingIan J. Ball
+* Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programmingshawn
|`* Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programmingAdam H. Kerman
| `* Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programminganim8rfsk
|  `* Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programmingIan J. Ball
|   +* Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programmingAdam H. Kerman
|   |`- Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programminganim8rfsk
|   `- Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programminganim8rfsk
+* Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programmingAdam H. Kerman
|`* Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programmingIan J. Ball
| +- Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programmingshawn
| `* Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programmingAdam H. Kerman
|  +* Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programmingIan J. Ball
|  |`* Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programmingAdam H. Kerman
|  | `* Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programmingIan J. Ball
|  |  `- Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programminganim8rfsk
|  `- Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programminganim8rfsk
+* Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programminganim8rfsk
|`* Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programmingIan J. Ball
| `- Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programminganim8rfsk
+* Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programmingIan J. Ball
|`* Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programmingBTR1701
| `* Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programmingAdam H. Kerman
|  +* Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programmingIan J. Ball
|  |`* Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programmingAdam H. Kerman
|  | `* Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programmingIan J. Ball
|  |  `- Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programmingAdam H. Kerman
|  `- Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programmingIan J. Ball
+* Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programmingEd Stasiak
|`* Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programmingshawn
| `- Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programmingIan J. Ball
`* Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programmingBTR1701
 `- Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programmingAdam H. Kerman

Pages:12
Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<udirjo$7qg4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201765&group=rec.arts.tv#201765

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 15:29:11 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 22:29 UTC

NOTE: Giving myself a shot at posting these, to see if there are any
issues with ASCII, text encoding, etc. For this message, I had to do a
search to replace 'curly' apostrophes with 'simple' apostrophes...

Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

Previously released:

Hello Ghost (movie) (Netflix, Sept. 8)

When a lonely man fails to end his life, four quirky ghosts haunt him to
ask for favors -- but they might just be the push he needs to start
over. 2023 Indonesian film; 1hr 54m.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81706809

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14399128/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dje7QvPBZ3s

Baby Gorilla Cam [new; complete limited series] (Netflix, Sept. 7)

Peek into the gorilla habitat at Cleveland Metroparks, where two new
babies are adapting to life in the troop. Four (half-hour?) episodes.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81716365

Gangs of Oslo (Blodsbrødre) [new; complete season 1]
(Netflix, Sept. 7)

A young policeman gets entangled in his own criminal past when an
investigation leads him to his childhood best friend -- now a ruthless
gang leader. 2023 Norwegian series; six 45-minute episodes.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81653643

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt24364150/

Love Again (movie; streaming premiere?) (Netflix, Sept. 2)

Still grieving her fiance's death, an artist texts her deepest thoughts
to his phone and forms a bond with the man who receives them by chance.
An English-language remake of the 2016 German film SMS für Dich, itself
based on a novel by Sofie Cramer.
Stars Priyanka Chopra Jonas, Sam Heughan, and Céline Dion. Sony Pictures
film released theatrically on May 5; 1h 44m.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81627351

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10276482/ [rating 5.8]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQDXtD2HJAs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Again_(film)

Saturday, Sept. 9

Taken in Montana (movie) (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)

When her parents go missing on their family vacation, teen Regan must
put the clues together to find them — but she may be trusting the wrong
people to help, putting herself in danger. Veronica Ramirez, Laurie
Fortier, Justin Berti, and Matthew Pohlkamp star.

https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/taken-in-montana

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt28833706/

Fourth Down and Love (movie) (8 pm, Hallmark Channel)

Sparks are reignited when a single mother and a pro football player
coincidentally meet again on her daughter's flag football field after
his career is interrupted by a sports injury. Stars Pascale Hutton and
Ryan Paevey.

https://www.hallmarkchannel.com/fourth-down-and-love

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt20869180/

Love Can Surprise You (movie; broadcast premiere?) (8 pm,
Great American Family)

Despite her professional expertise, a relationship columnist discovers
love does not come easy. Stars Camilla Belle and David Lafontaine. A
2022 "Tubi Original" retitled and repositioned as an apparent broadcast
premiere.

https://www.greatamericanfamily.com/movie/love-can-surprise-you/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15483404/ [as "10 Truths about Love]

https://tubitv.com/movies/644817/10-truths-about-love [a "Tubi Original"]

FLCL (season 4 premiere) (midnight, Adult Swim)

https://adultswim.fandom.com/wiki/FLCL

Sunday, Sept. 10

Lust, Lies, & Polygamy (movie) (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)

Ellen believes she has the perfect life. When her new husband, Paul,
isn't traveling on business, he dotes on her and her daughter. But after
a stranger is caught prowling around their house, things don't add up.
Why is Paul always away on business? And did he know the prowler? Ellen
begins to discover a web of lies that she must expose to in order to
free herself and her daughter. That is, if Paul doesn't stop her first.
Stars Alicia S. Mason, Tremayne Norris, Maya Walker, Malynda Hale, and
April Hale.

https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/lust-lies-polygamy

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt27925750/

The Masked Singer (season 10 special) (8 pm ET/5 pm PT)

Immediately follows NFL coverage in all time zones. This episode is
titled "Season 10 Kickoff," while the next episode (on Wednesday, Sept.
27, at 8 pm, the show's regular time slot) is denoted as the season
premiere.

The Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon [new] (9 pm, AMC)

The latest Walking Dead spinoff (which has already been renewed for a
second season) finds Norman Reedus reprising his original series role as
Daryl Dixon, who begins the new series by washing ashore in France with
few memories of how or why he got there. When the spinoff was first
ordered, Melissa McBride was also expected to return as Carol, though
plans changed last year and she is no longer a regular (though she may
make an appearance) in the series. Six episodes running through Oct. 15.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13062500/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTOaFootkSk

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-walking-dead-daryl-dixon/season-1
[score 70]

Dreaming Whilst Black [new to US] (10 and 10:30 pm, two
episodes, Showtime)

Aspiring filmmaker Kwabena (Adjani Salmon) takes steps to pursue his
dreams while juggling relationships, working in a dead-end job and his
parents' expectations in this British comedy. Six episodes, with two
shown on each of three consecutive Sunday nights.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14488438/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_WggXvoJsM

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/dreaming-whilst-black/season-1 [score 87]

Ride With Norman Reedus (season 6 premiere) (10:27 pm, AMC)

Join Keanu Reeves, Josh Holloway, Adri Law, Johnny Knoxville and more as
they Ride With Norman Reedus. Six episodes. The second episode also
begins at 10:27 (actually 10:28), while the remaining four begin at 10 pm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JecuB3-d4M

Monday, Sept. 11

American Ninja Warrior (season 15 finale) (8-10 pm, NBC)

Already renewed for season 16.

Tuesday, Sept. 12

Streaming:

Kelce (documentary) (12:01 am, Prime Video)

Kelce is an intimate and emotional feature-length documentary that
chronicles Philadelphia Eagles team captain and All-Pro center Jason
Kelce's 2022-23 season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0ld-xuh898

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt28656365/

Michelle Wolf: It's Great to Be Here (comedy special)
(3:01 am, Netflix)

The comedian's latest stand-up special is split into three half-hour
episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzZXuom7ues

https://www.netflix.com/title/81704420

Glow Up (complete season 5) (3:01 am, Netflix)

In this British competition show, aspiring makeup artists navigate
colorful challenges to win a career-making opportunity in the beauty
industry. Eight episodes.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81075536

Football Must Go On [new; complete limited series] (3:01
am, Paramount+)

No team in sports has ever faced the upheaval and challenges of Ukraine
champions Shakhtar Donetsk. The four-episode fly-on-the-wall documentary
series, “Football Must Go On,” follows the emotional and physical
journey of Shakhtar's players and coaches as they compete in the 2022-23
UEFA Champions League season against the constant backdrop of their
homeland being ravaged by war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZrdSXjr_uw

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt28760070/

Broadcast and cable:

Beat Shazam (season 6 finale) (8 pm, Fox)

2023 MTV Video Music Awards (special) (8-11 pm, MTV and other
networks)

Don't Forget the Lyrics! (season 2 finale) (9 pm, Fox)

The Swarm [new to US] (9 pm, CW)

Around the world, strange happenings, borne out of the oceans: Whales
destroy boats, deep sea crabs attack beaches, mussels block container
ships. An unknown ice worm destabilizes continental slopes and triggers
tsunamis. A deadly pathogen spreads into the drinking water. Across the
globe, lives are increasingly imperiled, the situation worsening by the
day - and yet, nobody can draw a connection between the seemingly random
attacks. Except for a group of scientists who come together through
their shared sense that something bigger is at play: an intelligent life
force, dwelling in the deep - capable of manipulating the ocean, and
everything that resides in it. A being which has borne witness to our
destruction of the seas and has decided to drive us to extinction. But
hardly anyone believes their findings. And so, the group are forced to
undertake a life--threatening mission, tracking the intelligent life
force within the Arctic Ocean. It is a mission they know may claim their
lives. Based on the bestselling novel by Frank Schätzing, this
eco-thriller is an English-language German production. Rescheduled from
Sept. 5. Eight episodes running through Oct. 31.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<4jupfitfca40d9agebem1m6j1qmgqi5j9f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201774&group=rec.arts.tv#201774

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2023 19:10:06 -0400
 by: shawn - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 23:10 UTC

On Sat, 9 Sep 2023 15:29:11 -0700, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>NOTE: Giving myself a shot at posting these, to see if there are any
>issues with ASCII, text encoding, etc. For this message, I had to do a
>search to replace 'curly' apostrophes with 'simple' apostrophes...
>

>Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming
>

> Previously released:
>

>*****************************************************************************************
>

> Saturday, Sept. 9
>

>FLCL (season 4 premiere) (midnight, Adult Swim)
>
>https://adultswim.fandom.com/wiki/FLCL

I'll definitely be recording this. From all I've heard it's a great
series. I've just never managed to get around to watching it.

>*****************************************************************************************
>

> Sunday, Sept. 10
>

>The Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon [new] (9 pm, AMC)
>
>The latest Walking Dead spinoff (which has already been renewed for a
>second season) finds Norman Reedus reprising his original series role as
>Daryl Dixon, who begins the new series by washing ashore in France with
>few memories of how or why he got there. When the spinoff was first
>ordered, Melissa McBride was also expected to return as Carol, though
>plans changed last year and she is no longer a regular (though she may
>make an appearance) in the series. Six episodes running through Oct. 15.
>
>https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13062500/
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTOaFootkSk
>
>https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-walking-dead-daryl-dixon/season-1
>[score 70]
>

>The Swarm [new to US] (9 pm, CW)
>
>Around the world, strange happenings, borne out of the oceans: Whales
>destroy boats, deep sea crabs attack beaches, mussels block container
>ships. An unknown ice worm destabilizes continental slopes and triggers
>tsunamis. A deadly pathogen spreads into the drinking water. Across the
>globe, lives are increasingly imperiled, the situation worsening by the
>day - and yet, nobody can draw a connection between the seemingly random
>attacks. Except for a group of scientists who come together through
>their shared sense that something bigger is at play: an intelligent life
>force, dwelling in the deep - capable of manipulating the ocean, and
>everything that resides in it. A being which has borne witness to our
>destruction of the seas and has decided to drive us to extinction. But
>hardly anyone believes their findings. And so, the group are forced to
>undertake a life--threatening mission, tracking the intelligent life
>force within the Arctic Ocean. It is a mission they know may claim their
>lives. Based on the bestselling novel by Frank Schätzing, this
>eco-thriller is an English-language German production. Rescheduled from
>Sept. 5. Eight episodes running through Oct. 31.
>
>https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808491/ [rating 5.8]
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Swarm_(TV_series)
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SqufBzChsw
>
>https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-swarm/season-1 [score 57]

I know, I know. The CW must die, but while it still lives on I'll give
this a shot.

> Broadcast and cable:

Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<udiuj7$89jo$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201778&group=rec.arts.tv#201778

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 23:20:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 23:20 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>NOTE: Giving myself a shot at posting these, to see if there are any
>issues with ASCII, text encoding, etc. For this message, I had to do a
>search to replace 'curly' apostrophes with 'simple' apostrophes...

At least you have ASCII on Subject. In the body of the article, there
are still non-ASCII characters in various places.

This is what I use to output ASCII:

https://dan.hersam.com/tools/smart-quotes.php

Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<udiurh$89jo$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201779&group=rec.arts.tv#201779

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 23:24:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 23:24 UTC

>On Sat, 9 Sep 2023 15:29:11 -0700, Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>The Swarm [new to US] (9 pm, CW)

>>Around the world, strange happenings, borne out of the oceans: Whales
>>destroy boats, deep sea crabs attack beaches, mussels block container
>>ships. An unknown ice worm destabilizes continental slopes and triggers
>>tsunamis. A deadly pathogen spreads into the drinking water. Across the
>>globe, lives are increasingly imperiled, the situation worsening by the
>>day - and yet, nobody can draw a connection between the seemingly random
>>attacks. Except for a group of scientists who come together through
>>their shared sense that something bigger is at play: an intelligent life
>>force, dwelling in the deep - capable of manipulating the ocean, and
>>everything that resides in it. A being which has borne witness to our
>>destruction of the seas and has decided to drive us to extinction. But
>>hardly anyone believes their findings. And so, the group are forced to
>>undertake a life--threatening mission, tracking the intelligent life
>>force within the Arctic Ocean. It is a mission they know may claim their
>>lives. Based on the bestselling novel by Frank Schatzing, this
>>eco-thriller is an English-language German production. Rescheduled from
>>Sept. 5. Eight episodes running through Oct. 31.

>>https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808491/ [rating 5.8]

>>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Swarm_(TV_series)

>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SqufBzChsw

>>https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-swarm/season-1 [score 57]

>I know, I know. The CW must die, but while it still lives on I'll give
>this a shot.

This is the C-Wub being dead. This is foreign programming, from
German television.

The only American scripted production they are going to have this year
is The Librarians spin off.

Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<1988846750.715992085.777844.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201781&group=rec.arts.tv#201781

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 16:32:17 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 23:32 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> NOTE: Giving myself a shot at posting these, to see if there are any
> issues with ASCII, text encoding, etc. For this message, I had to do a
> search to replace 'curly' apostrophes with 'simple' apostrophes...
>

> Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming
>

> Previously released:
>

> Hello Ghost (movie) (Netflix, Sept. 8)
>
> When a lonely man fails to end his life, four quirky ghosts haunt him to
> ask for favors -- but they might just be the push he needs to start
> over. 2023 Indonesian film; 1hr 54m.

Gah

> Baby Gorilla Cam [new; complete limited series] (Netflix, Sept. 7)
>
> Peek into the gorilla habitat at Cleveland Metroparks, where two new
> babies are adapting to life in the troop. Four (half-hour?) episodes.
>
> https://www.netflix.com/title/81716365

This is a Series?

> Love Again (movie; streaming premiere?) (Netflix, Sept. 2)
>
> Still grieving her fiance's death, an artist texts her deepest thoughts
> to his phone and forms a bond with the man who receives them by chance.
> An English-language remake of the 2016 German film SMS für Dich, itself
> based on a novel by Sofie Cramer.
> Stars Priyanka Chopra Jonas, Sam Heughan, and Céline Dion. Sony Pictures
> film released theatrically on May 5; 1h 44m.

There is so much in there, making me scream NO, at every turn!

> Saturday, Sept. 9
>

> Fourth Down and Love (movie) (8 pm, Hallmark Channel)
>
> Sparks are reignited when a single mother and a pro football player
> coincidentally meet again on her daughter's flag football field after
> his career is interrupted by a sports injury. Stars Pascale Hutton and
> Ryan Paevey.

Well, Ian and I demean ourselves and watch this just because Pascal Hutton
is in it?

> Love Can Surprise You (movie; broadcast premiere?) (8 pm,
> Great American Family)
>
> Despite her professional expertise, a relationship columnist discovers
> love does not come easy. Stars Camilla Belle and David Lafontaine. A
> 2022 "Tubi Original" retitled and repositioned as an apparent broadcast
> premiere.

Tube disguised as Gak?

> Sunday, Sept. 10
>

> The Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon [new] (9 pm, AMC)
>
> The latest Walking Dead spinoff (which has already been renewed for a
> second season) finds Norman Reedus reprising his original series role as
> Daryl Dixon, who begins the new series by washing ashore in France with
> few memories of how or why he got there. When the spinoff was first
> ordered, Melissa McBride was also expected to return as Carol, though
> plans changed last year and she is no longer a regular (though she may
> make an appearance) in the series. Six episodes running through Oct. 15.

Something for Ubiquitous

> Monday, Sept. 11

> Tuesday, Sept. 12
>

> Streaming:
>

> Broadcast and cable:
>

> The Swarm [new to US] (9 pm, CW)

The C dub must die

> Wednesday, Sept. 13
>

> Streaming:
>

> Freestyle (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)

SQUIGGGGGLLLLLLLLLE

> Marvel Studios' Assembled: The Making of the Guardians of the Galaxy
> Vol. 3 (documentary) (3:01 am, Disney+)

Worst of series

> Broadcast and cable:
>

> Donyale Luna: Supermodel (documentary) (9 pm, HBO)
>
> Chronicles the remarkable life and career of Donyale Luna, the first
> Black model to grace the cover of both Harper's Bazaar and Vogue.

Talk about your artificial benchmarks

Born
> Peggy Ann Freeman in Detroit, Michigan, Luna became a larger-than-life
> character who broke barriers in the fashion industry, challenged the
> prevailing ideals of beauty, and influenced culture — all before her
> untimely death at age 33.

From “heroin intoxication“.

Suddenly, my interest is whatever the opposite is of piqued

> Thursday, Sept. 14
>

> Streaming:
>

> Written in the Stars [new; complete season 1] (8 pm,
> Prime Video)
>
> Written in the Stars is an astrological dating show.

And by that we mean that I hope everyone connected with it dies, horribly
slowly and painfully, and I’d be happy to help. I.

There are twelve
> episodes in which a single person, who represents one of the zodiac
> signs, is introduced to four bachelors or bachelorettes with whom they
> have different astral compatibilities. Chatting and chemistry:
> everything can be a sign of what the stars want. After the dates, it's
> time to make a decision: listen to or ignore the stars?

Die die, die, die, die, die die like the CW die

> https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B0B8N2NVGF
>

> Killer Coaster [new; complete season 1] (8 pm, Prime Video)
>
> Palavas-les-Flots, 1998: Sandrine, a sloppy cop disavowed by her
> department, decides to take on an undercover job selling cotton candy at
> a fair after discovering a dead body in the ghost train. When she meets
> Carmen and Yvanne--two funfair workers from warring families--the
> unlikely trio discovers that the funfair might be the hunting ground of
> a killer. French series; eight episodes?

That’s so stupid. I might actually take a look at it. Although probably
not.

> F#Ck1Ng Social Media [new; complete season 1] (8 pm,
> Prime Video)
>
> Amanda, a declining children's content YouTuber, has

She produces content for declining children? Or she produces declining
content for children?

> Broadcast and cable:
>

> As Luck Would Have It: Murder for Sale (movie) (8 pm, LMN)
>
> Series: Recently retired criminology professor turned amateur sleuth
> Gabbi Luck (Jackée Harry)

NO

> Friday, Sept. 15
>

> Streaming:
>

> Wilderness [new] (12:01 am, Prime Video)
>
> Liv becomes the actress starring in Will's bad dreams after she learns
> about his betrayal, and her heartbreak is swiftly followed by another
> emotion: fury. The couple embark on an American road trip Liv's
> fantasized about since she was little, from the Grand Canyon on through
> Yosemite, before ending up with a hedonistic weekend in Las Vegas. For
> Will, it's a chance to make amends; for Liv, it's a very different
> prospect­a landscape where accidents happen all the time. The perfect
> place to get revenge. This UK-produced Amazon original based on the
> novel by B.E. Jones stars Jenna Coleman and Oliver Jackson-Cohen as a
> couple living in America. Six episodes.

This is the thing they’ve been promoting on the Facebook with pictures of
the back of the impossibly cute Jenna Coleman’s head. Gives you an idea the
quality of effort they put into this. Still, I’ll probably give it a
chance.

> The Club [Kulüp] (complete season 2) (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> In cosmopolitan 1950s Istanbul,

Was Constantinople

> El Conde (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> Imagine a world in which infamous fascist Chilean dictator Augusto
> Pinochet is still alive—because he is an unhappy 250-year-old vampire.

Now, see, if they had done this with Nancy Pelosi, it would’ve been
brilliant.

> Inside the World's Toughest Prisons (complete season 7)
> (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> Journalist and former inmate Raphael Rowe experiences life inside
> prison

Now, see, if they had done this with Nancy Pelosi, it would’ve been
brilliant.

> Love at First Sight (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> Haley Lu Richardson and Ben Hardy meet cute

And I’m out

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<udivqu$8blb$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201782&group=rec.arts.tv#201782

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 16:41:18 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 23:41 UTC

On 9/9/23 3:29 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:

> NOTE: Giving myself a shot at posting these, to see if there are any
> issues with ASCII, text encoding, etc. For this message, I had to do a
> search to replace 'curly' apostrophes with 'simple' apostrophes...
>

> Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming
>

>       Previously released:
>

> Love Again     (movie; streaming premiere?)       (Netflix, Sept. 2)
>
> Still grieving her fiance's death, an artist texts her deepest thoughts
> to his phone and forms a bond with the man who receives them by chance.
> An English-language remake of the 2016 German film SMS für Dich, itself
> based on a novel by Sofie Cramer.
> Stars Priyanka Chopra Jonas, Sam Heughan, and Céline Dion. Sony Pictures
> film released theatrically on May 5; 1h 44m.

Uhhhhhhhhhh...

>        Saturday, Sept. 9
>

> Taken in Montana     (movie)     (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)
>
> When her parents go missing on their family vacation, teen Regan must
> put the clues together to find them — but she may be trusting the wrong
> people to help, putting herself in danger. Veronica Ramirez, Laurie
> Fortier, Justin Berti, and Matthew Pohlkamp star.
>
> https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/taken-in-montana
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt28833706/

Will watch.

> Fourth Down and Love      (movie)      (8 pm, Hallmark Channel)
>
> Sparks are reignited when a single mother and a pro football player
> coincidentally meet again on her daughter's flag football field after
> his career is interrupted by a sports injury. Stars Pascale Hutton and
> Ryan Paevey.

Zzzzzz....

> Love Can Surprise You       (movie; broadcast premiere?)        (8 pm,
> Great American Family)
>
> Despite her professional expertise, a relationship columnist discovers
> love does not come easy. Stars Camilla Belle and David Lafontaine. A
> 2022 "Tubi Original" retitled and repositioned as an apparent broadcast
> premiere.
>
> https://www.greatamericanfamily.com/movie/love-can-surprise-you/
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15483404/     [as "10 Truths about Love]
>
> https://tubitv.com/movies/644817/10-truths-about-love    [a "Tubi
> Original"]

I've actually been meaning to get to this at some point. And it's still
on Tubi, so...

>        Sunday, Sept. 10
>

> Lust, Lies, & Polygamy      (movie)     (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)
>
> Ellen believes she has the perfect life. When her new husband, Paul,
> isn't traveling on business, he dotes on her and her daughter. But after
> a stranger is caught prowling around their house, things don't add up.
> Why is Paul always away on business? And did he know the prowler? Ellen
> begins to discover a web of lies that she must expose to in order to
> free herself and her daughter. That is, if Paul doesn't stop her first.
> Stars Alicia S. Mason, Tremayne Norris, Maya Walker, Malynda Hale, and
> April Hale.

Maybe. But this doesn't sound all that great.

> The Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon       [new]       (9 pm, AMC)
>
> The latest Walking Dead spinoff (which has already been renewed for a
> second season) finds Norman Reedus reprising his original series role as
> Daryl Dixon, who begins the new series by washing ashore in France with
> few memories of how or why he got there. When the spinoff was first
> ordered, Melissa McBride was also expected to return as Carol, though
> plans changed last year and she is no longer a regular (though she may
> make an appearance) in the series. Six episodes running through Oct. 15.

Worst. Title. Ever.

>        Monday, Sept. 11
>

> American Ninja Warrior      (season 15 finale)        (8-10 pm, NBC)
>
> Already renewed for season 16.

[sigh...]

And, of course, NBC is my strongest OTA signal... [roll]

>        Tuesday, Sept. 12
>

>    Broadcast and cable:
>

> The Swarm         [new to US]         (9 pm, CW)
>
> Around the world, strange happenings, borne out of the oceans: Whales
> destroy boats, deep sea crabs attack beaches, mussels block container
> ships. An unknown ice worm destabilizes continental slopes and triggers
> tsunamis. A deadly pathogen spreads into the drinking water. Across the
> globe, lives are increasingly imperiled, the situation worsening by the
> day - and yet, nobody can draw a connection between the seemingly random
> attacks. Except for a group of scientists who come together through
> their shared sense that something bigger is at play: an intelligent life
> force, dwelling in the deep - capable of manipulating the ocean, and
> everything that resides in it. A being which has borne witness to our
> destruction of the seas and has decided to drive us to extinction. But
> hardly anyone believes their findings. And so, the group are forced to
> undertake a life--threatening mission, tracking the intelligent life
> force within the Arctic Ocean. It is a mission they know may claim their
> lives. Based on the bestselling novel by Frank Schätzing, this
> eco-thriller is an English-language German production. Rescheduled from
> Sept. 5. Eight episodes running through Oct. 31.

Still trying to figure out if I'm actually going to sample this or not...

>        Wednesday, Sept. 13
>

>    Broadcast and cable:
>

> Young Dylan       (season 4 finale)        (7 pm, Nickelodeon)
>
> RM note: But there is an episode next Wednesday titled "No Camping, No
> Problem."

Geez, Nick is still sticking with this?! I thought it was a dog. (Though
I guess I notice Robin doesn't say "renewed"...)

>        Thursday, Sept. 14
>

>    Streaming:
>

> Theater Camp      (movie; streaming premiere)       (12:01 am, Hulu)
>
> Amos (Ben Platt) and Rebecca-Diane (Molly Gordon) are lifelong best
> friends and drama instructors at a rundown camp in upstate New York.
> When clueless tech-bro Troy (Jimmy Tatro) arrives to run the property
> (into the ground), Amos, Rebecca-Diane and production manager Glenn
> (Noah Galvin) band together with the staff and students to stage a
> masterpiece, and keep their beloved summer camp afloat. 1h 32m.

OK, there's a chance this could be good...

> Ehrengard: The Art of Seduction        (movie)        (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> When a self-appointed expert on love tries to teach a timid prince the
> art of seduction, the plan backfires, leading to scandal -- and
> unexpected romance. Danish film; 1h 34m.

What?!

> Killer Coaster         [new; complete season 1]         (8 pm, Prime Video)
>
> Palavas-les-Flots, 1998: Sandrine, a sloppy cop disavowed by her
> department, decides to take on an undercover job selling cotton candy at
> a fair after discovering a dead body in the ghost train. When she meets
> Carmen and Yvanne--two funfair workers from warring families--the
> unlikely trio discovers that the funfair might be the hunting ground of
> a killer. French series; eight episodes?

There's maybe a kernel of a concept in here, but only as a movie -
certainly not as a TV series!

>    Broadcast and cable:
>

> As Luck Would Have It: Murder for Sale    (movie)     (8 pm, LMN)
>
> Series: Recently retired criminology professor turned amateur sleuth
> Gabbi Luck (Jackée Harry) uses her classroom smarts, charm and tenacity
> to get to the bottom of every crime she encounters. She balances each
> case with daughter Lisa (Mea Wilkerson) who is a detective and partner
> Rick (Doug Rogers). Gabbi is sometimes assisted by police Captain Taylor
> (Tom Arnold), Barbara (Tracy Nelson) who works at the station, husband
> Michael (Rico Ross) and police psychologist, Dr. Nolan (Dorian Gregory).
>
> Episode: Gabbi's longtime friend Kimberly is finally selling her home
> after residing in it for many years. But the morning after the very
> first open house, her broker is found dead in her back yard. Naturally,
> Kimberly turns to Gabbi for help. There are few leads and it's initially
> presumed that this was a simple burglary gone wrong. As usual, all is
> not as it seems to be. The third of three films in the series.

Last one!!

>        Friday, Sept. 15
>

>    Streaming:
>

> Wilderness          [new]          (12:01 am, Prime Video)
>
> Liv becomes the actress starring in Will's bad dreams after she learns
> about his betrayal, and her heartbreak is swiftly followed by another
> emotion: fury. The couple embark on an American road trip Liv's
> fantasized about since she was little, from the Grand Canyon on through
> Yosemite, before ending up with a hedonistic weekend in Las Vegas. For
> Will, it's a chance to make amends; for Liv, it's a very different
> prospect­a landscape where accidents happen all the time. The perfect
> place to get revenge. This UK-produced Amazon original based on the
> novel by B.E. Jones stars Jenna Coleman and Oliver Jackson-Cohen as a
> couple living in America. Six episodes.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<udivv9$8blb$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201783&group=rec.arts.tv#201783

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 16:43:37 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 23:43 UTC

On 9/9/23 4:20 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> NOTE: Giving myself a shot at posting these, to see if there are any
>> issues with ASCII, text encoding, etc. For this message, I had to do a
>> search to replace 'curly' apostrophes with 'simple' apostrophes...
>
> At least you have ASCII on Subject. In the body of the article, there
> are still non-ASCII characters in various places.

Please be specific.

I admit: I only 'Find and Replace[d]' apostrophes - I didn't look for
'curly' quotes.

> This is what I use to output ASCII:
>
> https://dan.hersam.com/tools/smart-quotes.php

Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<964361695.715995270.268591.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201784&group=rec.arts.tv#201784

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 16:47:28 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 23:47 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 9 Sep 2023 15:29:11 -0700, Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> The Swarm [new to US] (9 pm, CW)
>
>>> Around the world, strange happenings, borne out of the oceans: Whales
>>> destroy boats, deep sea crabs attack beaches, mussels block container
>>> ships. An unknown ice worm destabilizes continental slopes and triggers
>>> tsunamis. A deadly pathogen spreads into the drinking water. Across the
>>> globe, lives are increasingly imperiled, the situation worsening by the
>>> day - and yet, nobody can draw a connection between the seemingly random
>>> attacks. Except for a group of scientists who come together through
>>> their shared sense that something bigger is at play: an intelligent life
>>> force, dwelling in the deep - capable of manipulating the ocean, and
>>> everything that resides in it. A being which has borne witness to our
>>> destruction of the seas and has decided to drive us to extinction. But
>>> hardly anyone believes their findings. And so, the group are forced to
>>> undertake a life--threatening mission, tracking the intelligent life
>>> force within the Arctic Ocean. It is a mission they know may claim their
>>> lives. Based on the bestselling novel by Frank Schatzing, this
>>> eco-thriller is an English-language German production. Rescheduled from
>>> Sept. 5. Eight episodes running through Oct. 31.
>
>>> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808491/ [rating 5.8]
>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Swarm_(TV_series)
>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SqufBzChsw
>
>>> https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-swarm/season-1 [score 57]
>
>> I know, I know. The CW must die, but while it still lives on I'll give
>> this a shot.
>
> This is the C-Wub being dead. This is foreign programming, from
> German television.
>
> The only American scripted production they are going to have this year
> is The Librarians spin off.

What became of stupid man and lame ass?

Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<udj097$8blb$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201786&group=rec.arts.tv#201786

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 16:48:54 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 23:48 UTC

On 9/9/23 4:32 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> NOTE: Giving myself a shot at posting these, to see if there are any
>> issues with ASCII, text encoding, etc. For this message, I had to do a
>> search to replace 'curly' apostrophes with 'simple' apostrophes...
>>

>> Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming
>>

>> Saturday, Sept. 9
>>

>> Fourth Down and Love (movie) (8 pm, Hallmark Channel)
>>
>> Sparks are reignited when a single mother and a pro football player
>> coincidentally meet again on her daughter's flag football field after
>> his career is interrupted by a sports injury. Stars Pascale Hutton and
>> Ryan Paevey.
>
> Well, Ian and I demean ourselves and watch this just because Pascal Hutton
> is in it?

Pascale Hutton of 20 years ago probably could have gotten me to watch
anything. Now? Not so much.

>> Thursday, Sept. 14
>>

>> Broadcast and cable:
>>

>> As Luck Would Have It: Murder for Sale (movie) (8 pm, LMN)
>>
>> Series: Recently retired criminology professor turned amateur sleuth
>> Gabbi Luck (Jackée Harry)
>
> NO

It's Jackée, baby!! :)

>> Friday, Sept. 15
>>

>> Streaming:
>>

>> Elevator Game (movie) (3:01 am, Shudder)
>
> Nobody gets Shudder!

That's what I said!!

> By the way obvious said to tell you, he gets Shudder
> as part of a bundle and doesn’t watch it because it’s all low budget crap

He's not a "horror dude"!!

>> Broadcast and cable:
>>

>> Heels (season 2 finale) (9 pm, Starz)
>
> NOBODY GETS STARZ!!!

Correct!

Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<udj0jt$8blb$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201788&group=rec.arts.tv#201788

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 16:54:37 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 23:54 UTC

On 9/9/23 4:47 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

>>> I know, I know. The CW must die, but while it still lives on I'll give
>>> this a shot.
>>
>> This is the C-Wub being dead. This is foreign programming, from
>> German television.
>>
>> The only American scripted production they are going to have this year
>> is The Librarians spin off.
>
> What became of stupid man and lame ass?

Won't be back until after the strike.

Which means, practically, it won't be seen again until Fall 2024.

Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<3f7a6f34-0169-45fa-a342-4bf490cbb8c0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201790&group=rec.arts.tv#201790

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 16:59:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: edstasia...@gmail.com (Ed Stasiak)
 by: Ed Stasiak - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 23:59 UTC

> Ian J. Ball
>
> The latest Walking Dead spinoff (which has already been renewed for a
> second season) finds Norman Reedus reprising his original series role as
> Daryl Dixon, who begins the new series by washing ashore in France with
> few memories of how or why he got there.

France? How did that happen?

> When the spinoff was first ordered, Melissa McBride was also expected
> to return as Carol, though plans changed last year and she is no longer
> a regular (though she may make an appearance) in the series.

How will that happen?

Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<2b3qfil84ib065cv71ttr93e25b95fsnee@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201792&group=rec.arts.tv#201792

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2023 20:27:49 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 00:27 UTC

On Sat, 9 Sep 2023 16:43:37 -0700, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>On 9/9/23 4:20 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> NOTE: Giving myself a shot at posting these, to see if there are any
>>> issues with ASCII, text encoding, etc. For this message, I had to do a
>>> search to replace 'curly' apostrophes with 'simple' apostrophes...
>>
>> At least you have ASCII on Subject. In the body of the article, there
>> are still non-ASCII characters in various places.
>
>Please be specific.
>
>I admit: I only 'Find and Replace[d]' apostrophes - I didn't look for
>'curly' quotes.
>
>> This is what I use to output ASCII:
>>
>> https://dan.hersam.com/tools/smart-quotes.php

I don't see a problem with this post. With the other post I did see
smart quotes as in this example:
CBS Game Show ‘Raid The Cage’

Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<6d3qfip8l3j78g52197gdj232p2lnab9s3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201793&group=rec.arts.tv#201793

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2023 20:29:00 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 00:29 UTC

On Sat, 9 Sep 2023 16:59:16 -0700 (PDT), Ed Stasiak
<edstasiak1067@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Ian J. Ball
>>
>> The latest Walking Dead spinoff (which has already been renewed for a
>> second season) finds Norman Reedus reprising his original series role as
>> Daryl Dixon, who begins the new series by washing ashore in France with
>> few memories of how or why he got there.
>
>France? How did that happen?

He dove into the Atlantic and floated over. It's about as believable
as anything else on the show.

>> When the spinoff was first ordered, Melissa McBride was also expected
>> to return as Carol, though plans changed last year and she is no longer
>> a regular (though she may make an appearance) in the series.
>
>How will that happen?

Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<udj53n$9545$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201797&group=rec.arts.tv#201797

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 01:11:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 01:11 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>On 9/9/23 4:47 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>
>> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>> This is the C-Wub being dead. This is foreign programming, from
>>> German television.
>>>
>>> The only American scripted production they are going to have this year
>>> is The Librarians spin off.
>>
>> What became of stupid man and lame ass?
>
>Won't be back until after the strike.
>
>Which means, practically, it won't be seen again until Fall 2024.

I continue to deny the existence of this tv series.

Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<udj5do$9545$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201799&group=rec.arts.tv#201799

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 01:16:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 01:16 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>On 9/9/23 4:20 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>>NOTE: Giving myself a shot at posting these, to see if there are any
>>>issues with ASCII, text encoding, etc. For this message, I had to do a
>>>search to replace 'curly' apostrophes with 'simple' apostrophes...

>>At least you have ASCII on Subject. In the body of the article, there
>>are still non-ASCII characters in various places.

>Please be specific.

For instance,

Lang Lang Plays Disney (special) (3:01 am,
Disney+)

In this exclusive one night only concert at Royal Albert Hall,
“Lang Lang Plays Disney” is an unrivaled musical and visual
treat that showcases unique arrangements of Disney's most popular
songs and gives insight into the life of world-renowned pianist
Lang Lang.

This paragraph has non-ASCII double quotes.

>I admit: I only 'Find and Replace[d]' apostrophes - I didn't look for
>'curly' quotes.

>>This is what I use to output ASCII:

>>https://dan.hersam.com/tools/smart-quotes.php

Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<udj654$991f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201800&group=rec.arts.tv#201800

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 18:29:08 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 01:29 UTC

On 9/9/23 6:16 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> At least you have ASCII on Subject. In the body of the article, there
>>> are still non-ASCII characters in various places.
>
>> Please be specific.
>
> For instance,
>
> Lang Lang Plays Disney (special) (3:01 am,
> Disney+)
>
> In this exclusive one night only concert at Royal Albert Hall,
> “Lang Lang Plays Disney” is an unrivaled musical and visual
> treat that showcases unique arrangements of Disney's most popular
> songs and gives insight into the life of world-renowned pianist
> Lang Lang.
>
> This paragraph has non-ASCII double quotes.

OK - if it's just apostrophes and quotes, that's easy. I was worried
there was other non-ASCII stuff.

>> I admit: I only 'Find and Replace[d]' apostrophes - I didn't look for
>> 'curly' quotes.
>
>>> This is what I use to output ASCII:
>
>>> https://dan.hersam.com/tools/smart-quotes.php

Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<udj678$991f$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201801&group=rec.arts.tv#201801

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 18:30:15 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 01:30 UTC

On 9/9/23 5:29 PM, shawn wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Sep 2023 16:59:16 -0700 (PDT), Ed Stasiak
> <edstasiak1067@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Ian J. Ball
>>>
>>> The latest Walking Dead spinoff (which has already been renewed for a
>>> second season) finds Norman Reedus reprising his original series role as
>>> Daryl Dixon, who begins the new series by washing ashore in France with
>>> few memories of how or why he got there.
>>
>> France? How did that happen?
>
> He dove into the Atlantic and floated over. It's about as believable
> as anything else on the show.

He travelled on a raft made out of bundled walkers!!

>>> When the spinoff was first ordered, Melissa McBride was also expected
>>> to return as Carol, though plans changed last year and she is no longer
>>> a regular (though she may make an appearance) in the series.
>>
>> How will that happen?

Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<udj7bt$9ca5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201805&group=rec.arts.tv#201805

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 01:49:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 01:49 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>On 9/9/23 6:16 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> Please be specific.
>>
>> For instance,
>>
>> Lang Lang Plays Disney (special) (3:01 am,
>> Disney+)
>>
>> In this exclusive one night only concert at Royal Albert Hall,
>> “Lang Lang Plays Disney” is an unrivaled musical and visual
>> treat that showcases unique arrangements of Disney's most popular
>> songs and gives insight into the life of world-renowned pianist
>> Lang Lang.
>>
>> This paragraph has non-ASCII double quotes.
>
>OK - if it's just apostrophes and quotes, that's easy. I was worried
>there was other non-ASCII stuff.

There were vowels from foreign names, like an "a" with diaeresis, the
two dots. Can't help there for there is no ASCII equivalent, although
when I spot them I substitute the ASCII vowel.

As a technical matter, when ASCII was used by teletype machines, certain
diacritical marks were combining characters created with a backspace and
overstrike sequence, although diaeresis wasn't one of them. Grave, actue
circumflex, and tilde were. ASCII was never American-English only.

>>>I admit: I only 'Find and Replace[d]' apostrophes - I didn't look for
>>>'curly' quotes.

This fixes punctuation only, not letters with diacritical marks.

Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<udj7ms$991f$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201807&group=rec.arts.tv#201807

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 18:55:38 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 01:55 UTC

On 9/9/23 6:49 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> For instance,
>>>
>>> Lang Lang Plays Disney (special) (3:01 am,
>>> Disney+)
>>>
>>> In this exclusive one night only concert at Royal Albert Hall,
>>> “Lang Lang Plays Disney” is an unrivaled musical and visual
>>> treat that showcases unique arrangements of Disney's most popular
>>> songs and gives insight into the life of world-renowned pianist
>>> Lang Lang.
>>>
>>> This paragraph has non-ASCII double quotes.
>>
>> OK - if it's just apostrophes and quotes, that's easy. I was worried
>> there was other non-ASCII stuff.
>
> There were vowels from foreign names, like an "a" with diaeresis, the
> two dots. Can't help there for there is no ASCII equivalent, although
> when I spot them I substitute the ASCII vowel.
>
> As a technical matter, when ASCII was used by teletype machines, certain
> diacritical marks were combining characters created with a backspace and
> overstrike sequence, although diaeresis wasn't one of them. Grave, actue
> circumflex, and tilde were. ASCII was never American-English only.

> This fixes punctuation only, not letters with diacritical marks.

I'm not planning to worry about that - some people will just have to
deal with "Jackée"!!

Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<709302467.716011138.301539.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201819&group=rec.arts.tv#201819

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 04:52:07 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 11:52 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 9/9/23 6:49 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> OK - if it's just apostrophes and quotes, that's easy. I was worried
>>> there was other non-ASCII stuff.
>>
>> There were vowels from foreign names, like an "a" with diaeresis, the
>> two dots. Can't help there for there is no ASCII equivalent, although
>> when I spot them I substitute the ASCII vowel.
>>
>> As a technical matter, when ASCII was used by teletype machines, certain
>> diacritical marks were combining characters created with a backspace and
>> overstrike sequence, although diaeresis wasn't one of them. Grave, actue
>> circumflex, and tilde were. ASCII was never American-English only.

>> This fixes punctuation only, not letters with diacritical marks.
>
> I'm not planning to worry about that - some people will just have to
> deal with "Jackée"!!

NO

Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<564838372.716011829.130386.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201820&group=rec.arts.tv#201820

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 04:52:08 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 11:52 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> At least you have ASCII on Subject. In the body of the article, there
>>> are still non-ASCII characters in various places.
>
>> Please be specific.
>
> For instance,
>
> Lang Lang Plays Disney (special) (3:01 am,
> Disney+)
>
> In this exclusive one night only concert at Royal Albert Hall,
> “Lang Lang Plays Disney” is an unrivaled musical and visual
> treat that showcases unique arrangements of Disney's most popular
> songs and gives insight into the life of world-renowned pianist
> Lang Lang.
>
> This paragraph has non-ASCII double quotes.

That paragraph deserves them.

>> I admit: I only 'Find and Replace[d]' apostrophes - I didn't look for
>> 'curly' quotes.
>
>>> This is what I use to output ASCII:
>
>>> https://dan.hersam.com/tools/smart-quotes.php

Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<1360798464.716011914.301127.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201821&group=rec.arts.tv#201821

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 04:52:09 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 11:52 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> What became of stupid man and lame ass?
>>
>> Won't be back until after the strike.
>>
>> Which means, practically, it won't be seen again until Fall 2024.
>
> I continue to deny the existence of this tv series.

Hey, I saw something the other night from maybe 10 years ago when Birdie
still ate solid food. She still couldn’t act, but at least she wasn’t
grotesque to look at.

BTW, in one of the many articles, Robin beat Ian to reporting last week, we
learned that the Berlanti superhero crap has been suspended, with Warner
Bros., blaming the WGA strike, which continues to put people that don’t
deserve to work out of work. I still don’t see a downside.

Unfortunately, it probably doesn’t shut down super man and lame ass but we
can hope!

https://www.comicsbeat.com/jj-abrams-greg-berlanti-wbtv-deals-suspended/

Warner Bros. Television is continuing to suspend the overall deals of
creatives as the WGA strike rages on.

Per Deadline, WBTV has suspended all remaining overall deals with
showrunners for projects not already in development. The new batch includes
Arrowverse creator Greg Berlanti and his Greg Berlanti Productions, Ted
Lasso creator Bill Lawrence’s Doozer Productions, and Mindy Kaling’s Kaling
International, who were all informed on Sept. 5 about the news. Since that
time, J.J. Abrams‘ Bad Robot also saw its deal suspended.

The latest crop of suspensions joins John Wells (The West Wing), who saw
his deal put on pause in June, and The Big Bang Theory creator Chuck Lorre,
whose deal was suspended in May as studios began the process.

According to the report, the deals haven’t been terminated and the
high-profile ones will ideally see the suspension period added onto the end
of their deals. For smaller production companies, however, the pauses could
end the deals altogether.

Berlanti, who’s responsible for launching the Arrowverse and other DCTV
projects like Superman & Lois, was set to launch a slew of shows under the
deal. His most prominent, Dead Boy Detectives, likely won’t be affected as
production on the Netflix adaptation of the Sandman spinoff comic is
already underway.

Abrams, meanwhile, has already had troubles since his HBO Max deal was
announced back in 2020. The writer/director was set to launch a Justice
League Dark TV universe, but the shows, including a Madame Xanadu and
Constantine series, were slowly put on hold or canceled. Abrams and Bruce
Timm’s Batman: The Caped Crusader is still set to go at Prime Video.

It’s not just Warner Bros. that is suspending major TV deals, as Game of
Thrones creator George R.R. Martin also saw his deal with HBO paused
earlier in the summer despite several spinoffs of his hit universe being in
the works.

Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<238943898.716012910.011887.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201822&group=rec.arts.tv#201822

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 04:52:10 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 11:52 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 9/9/23 4:47 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>
>> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>> This is the C-Wub being dead. This is foreign programming, from
>>> German television.
>>>
>>> The only American scripted production they are going to have this year
>>> is The Librarians spin off.
>>
>> What became of stupid man and lame ass?
>
> Won't be back until after the strike.
>
> Which means, practically, it won't be seen again until Fall 2024.

Why would the strike affect it? The whole reason they crap out this crap in
Canadia is because of the last WGA strike.

Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<135673796.716013201.269997.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201823&group=rec.arts.tv#201823

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 04:52:11 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 11:52 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 9/9/23 4:32 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> NOTE: Giving myself a shot at posting these, to see if there are any
>>> issues with ASCII, text encoding, etc. For this message, I had to do a
>>> search to replace 'curly' apostrophes with 'simple' apostrophes...
>>>

>>> Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming
>>>

>>> Saturday, Sept. 9
>>>

>>> Fourth Down and Love (movie) (8 pm, Hallmark Channel)
>>>
>>> Sparks are reignited when a single mother and a pro football player
>>> coincidentally meet again on her daughter's flag football field after
>>> his career is interrupted by a sports injury. Stars Pascale Hutton and
>>> Ryan Paevey.
>>
>> Well, Ian and I demean ourselves and watch this just because Pascal Hutton
>> is in it?
>
> Pascale Hutton of 20 years ago probably could have gotten me to watch
> anything. Now? Not so much.
>

>>> Thursday, Sept. 14
>>>

>>> Broadcast and cable:
>>>

>>> As Luck Would Have It: Murder for Sale (movie) (8 pm, LMN)
>>>
>>> Series: Recently retired criminology professor turned amateur sleuth
>>> Gabbi Luck (Jackée Harry)
>>
>> NO
>
> It's Jackée, baby!! :)
>

>>> Friday, Sept. 15
>>>

>>> Streaming:
>>>

>>> Elevator Game (movie) (3:01 am, Shudder)
>>
>> Nobody gets Shudder!
>
> That's what I said!!
>
>> By the way obvious said to tell you, he gets Shudder
>> as part of a bundle and doesn’t watch it because it’s all low budget crap
>
> He's not a "horror dude"!!

He also said that all the stuff on Tubi is so horrible that Robin should
stop reporting on it altogether.

Seriously. He said that.

>>> Broadcast and cable:
>>>

>>> Heels (season 2 finale) (9 pm, Starz)
>>
>> NOBODY GETS STARZ!!!
>
> Correct!

Re: Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<atropos-D84FD1.11152210092023@kd014101080069.ppp-bb.dion.ne.jp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201880&group=rec.arts.tv#201880

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 11:15:22 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 18:15 UTC

In article <udirjo$7qg4$1@dont-email.me>,
"Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

> NOTE: Giving myself a shot at posting these, to see if there are any
> issues with ASCII, text encoding, etc. For this message, I had to do a
> search to replace 'curly' apostrophes with 'simple' apostrophes...
>

> Sept. 9-15, 2023: Robin's selected programming

> The Swarm [new to US] (9 pm, CW)
>
> Around the world, strange happenings, borne out of the oceans: Whales
> destroy boats, deep sea crabs attack beaches, mussels block container
> ships. An unknown ice worm destabilizes continental slopes and triggers
> tsunamis. A deadly pathogen spreads into the drinking water. Across the
> globe, lives are increasingly imperiled, the situation worsening by the
> day - and yet, nobody can draw a connection between the seemingly random
> attacks. Except for a group of scientists who come together through
> their shared sense that something bigger is at play: an intelligent life
> force, dwelling in the deep - capable of manipulating the ocean, and
> everything that resides in it. A being which has borne witness to our
> destruction of the seas and has decided to drive us to extinction.

Because of course it has to be a 'climate change' message show.

I'll give it a sample but it has strikes against it already for its
less-than-subtle propaganda.